• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix and Popcap Games present Gyromancer (XBLA/PC) The Official Thread

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Blue Heeler said:
FINALLY a game about gyros!

gyro.jpg

That looks like kebab.

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
Downloading it now for XBLA.

It did not show yet under the new arcade games, but when browsing through 'All games' in the marketplace 'Gyromancer' was there. :D

PARANO1A

Downloaded but didn't buy. Will wait for impressions. I loved Puzzle Quest but don't really see what makes this any better *shrug*

FHIZ

I just got done with the demo, meh I don't know. I wasn't too impressed, definitely not worth $15 in my book.

DodgerSan

Chiaroscuro said:
What? Not only the game is 1200 pts (actually I may be fine with that) but there is an additional "map pack" released day 1 for more 240 pts!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/g...fe-1000-9115-d802584109c6/?p=1&of=0&bt=0&sb=1

So the "full" game experience will be almost US$ 20. I feel a little bit "lumines" right now. (I really liked lumines but the fractured game turned me off at that time).

Yup. They seem to have not learned the Lumines lesson. There is simply no justification for this other than greed.

Cahill

Banned
DodgerSan said:
Yup. They seem to have not learned the Lumines lesson. There is simply no justification for this other than greed.

Plus it's a 300K file. How many maps are in that 300K I wonder... oh wait... ;)

And considering that the PC version will have additional maps, it is more than likely that those "extra" maps are already in the PC version.

Well, my NTSC-U machine just got 3RLs, now a 2-3 weeks waiting for the replacement, so I will not be buying this for a while anyway.

Hell, that's nothing compared to the Squeenix spondoolicks-squeeze that is FFCC: MLAADL. Us Wii owners know all about the DLC fleecage, mother-fuckaaaaaah[/hankmoody]

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Personal Impressions:

Love the music, personally. Rather like the art, too. And the text is nice and large, no squinting here!

I like having turns a bit more in PQ than the lack of turns here. But I can easily see how the game could grow on me. The idea that you can counter opponents attacks with matches, really is a nice tactic.

Not commenting on the DLC until I actually really get into the game. If the game grabs me enough for the DLC, I'll be happy it's there. If not, well, I still get a full game out of it, right?

I'd love to hear impressions on how much the DLC will add, for anyone who takes the plunge. If it's like a whole new sidequest, that's one thing, but if it's just 3 maps without story, then... yeah.

So overall, pretty good demo impressions. It doesn't go above and beyond, but it's a solid quality. That second map in the demo really does make me want to explore all the unique nuances and corners of the maps. The spells look good, the game loads and runs fast, the tutorial was not convoluted, and got one into the gameplay fast... solid all around.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm enjoying the fuck out of Gyromancer. If you guys want to sit on GAF and bitch about the price instead of enjoying this game, be my guest.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I enjoyed the demo once I got a hang of it. I might get the entire game after a few more playthroughs of the demo.

demo downloaded, appalled that there's DLC for this already. I'm close to beating Brutal Legend, should be done in just a little bit. Will try this demo out after then

I am a PQ whore, addicted to it like crack. I have high expectations for Gyromancer

BaZZaa

Neo Member
thetrin said:
I'm enjoying the fuck out of Gyromancer. If you guys want to sit on GAF and bitch about the price instead of enjoying this game, be my guest.

I want to play it, but it's still not up for pc :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gryphter said:
demo downloaded, appalled that there's DLC for this already. I'm close to beating Brutal Legend, should be done in just a little bit. Will try this demo out after then

I am a PQ whore, addicted to it like crack. I have high expectations for Gyromancer

I enjoy the battle system in Gyromancer more. The fact that there are no turns is pretty neat. Basically, when you make shitty moves, you get attacked. Puzzle Quest would reward you for matches in general, but Gyromancer forces you to be far more strategic.

I'm appalled there's DLC already as well, but hey, the wonderful thing is that we can just not buy it. :)

Mdk7

Bought it... i dig the art, the monsters are just beautiful!
The game still doesn't fully convince me, some ideas are nice but the combat mechanics are a little hit and miss IMHO.

bryehn

I wish there was a counter-rotate option, but other than that I am in love with this game. Art and music are both great! Not really paying attention to the story at all.

Just beat the first boss and will likely not turn this game off all afternoon.

thetrin

bryehn said:
I wish there was a counter-rotate option, but other than that I am in love with this game. Art and music are both great! Not really paying attention to the story at all.

Just beat the first boss and will likely not turn this game off all afternoon.

Magick Mirrors will let you counter rotate for one turn.

Believe me, I know exactly what your gripe is. It's obviously part of the game's challenge, but it kills me when I see a match, but it's the wrong direction.

Gilgamesh

I just played the demo. It was pretty fun. I'd never played Bejeweled Twist before but it was basically the same as any other rotating match colors puzzle game. The art was really good and the music wasn't bad either. No counter-rotation was kind of annoying, but that's just part of the challenge. All in all, I think I might pick this one up sometime.

Tobor

Would you rather pay $20 up front and have the DLC included?

You guys bitch and moan if a game is $20, and you bitch and moan if they lower the price by selling DLC. They might as well try to lower the initial cost, and get more people to buy in.

Syril

GWX said:
Nice, but there's no demo. Damn.

There's a page for the demo, but the Install button does nothing.

EDIT: Never mind, it works now. I wonder what went wrong earlier.

thetrin

Just got all but 1 award in Daemonwood. Guess I'm moving onto The Silent Way...

Syril said:
There's a page for the demo, but the Install button does nothing.

EDIT: Never mind, it works now. I wonder what went wrong earlier.
:/ It's not working for me. I keep clicking and all it does is refresh the page.

EDIT: Nevermind lol. It works now.

IDK if i want to buy this yet. played the demo. pretty art and style. very easy to play but idk. no multiplayer at all ;\. how long is SP?

thetrin

hamdammage said:
Kabobs are cube shaped and are usually skewered. I don't know what you are on, but that picture is totally a gyro.

He's high on ignorance.

LowParry

Man, I don't know what version to get.....

Edit: Nvm. Rolling with the PC version. I'll never have enough time to play it on the 360.

Tobor

CcrooK said:
Man, I don't know what version to get.....

Edit: Nvm. Rolling with the PC version. I'll never have enough time to play it on the 360.

I'm going to wait for the inevitable handheld version. Puzzle RPGs are always better when portable.

Druz

All I do is look at the bottom left to see how much my meter is going to fill up... largest increase wins. It's that really cheap?

LowParry

Tobor said:
I'm going to wait for the inevitable handheld version. Puzzle RPGs are always better when portable.

I'll double dip more than likely. I wish Capcom would put Puzzle Fighter on the DS. And I can only rotate one way on the PC version? Is it the same with the 360?

Spwn

Played the demo and now I'm officially interested. I liked the art style and music. The dialog was crap, but I can deal with it as it's not the main focus of the game. I liked the gameplay as it wasn't 100% the same as Bejeweled.

I'll definitely consider buying this. edit: and if it comes to the DS, it's a must buy.

thetrin

charsace said:
Square is a bunch of damn criminals.
Because of the $2 DLC or the fact that it's priced the exact same as PQ when it was first released?

bought it on steam. I just play and win. and i don't see what is happening most of the time. since i try to eliminate the enemy pieces. :lol.

Top Bottom