• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Dungeon Siege 3 (SQEX / Obsidian / GPG collaboration)

Sacha

Aaannd some cool artworks.

15mguac.jpg

Hi-res

1624pad.jpg

Hi-res

2v3honn.jpg

Hi-res

jai6h0.jpg

Hi-res

KZObsessed

hmm offline co-op means I'm interested. I like Obsidian, feel kinda bad for them after how awful Alpha Protocol turned out. I hope New Vegas is really awesome.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Judging by the artwork it seems it will be isometric, or at least a similar camera to the other Dungeon Siege games.

Drek

Spirit of Jazz said:
I'm worried about Obsidian though, it's almost as though they're taking on too many projects needlessly and could be pulling a GRIN. Don't see why they don't stay away from working on anything until Fallout's released given it's financial success is nigh inevitable and think about their options from there.
Its imperative for any team oriented business to keep their teams working as often as possible. That holds true for everything from construction to catering. Video games are no different. If they're finishing up a game or if a game gets dropped by a publisher they need to find something to put that team on ASAP or people get laid off/fired.

Going by time lines I'd guess this is the title picked up after finishing Storm of Zehir, after the Aliens RPG for Sega fell through. So I'd expect similar staff on it. Obviously it was a smaller team than MotB, so its likely that some of the MotB staff was transitioned over even earlier on pre-production (like Zeits maybe). Just my guess.

For a company like Obsidian though it is essential that they keep work coming in. If a project is canned (like the Aliens RPG) you can't really be too picky with what you replace it with unless you want to start laying people off. You just make the best of it and hope for success.

glaurung said:
Wow.

Time to go back and play the first two games. Are they worth it?

I've only played Dungeon Siege 1. I enjoyed it, but there's a few things to note. The big thing is Loot Tetris. You'll be playing this a LOT. Possibly even more than the time you spend actually fighting. After that, there's the linearity. A drunk could walk this line. Most people can get over that - I did - but your mileage may vary. Finally, if you like multiclassing, prepare to be disappointed. They might give multiclass characters all kinds of different titles, but if you try to level two classes at the same time, you're screwed for the rest of the game, mainly because the loot you find will require stats consistent with single classes.

Do I still recommend it? Mmmyeah, probably. It's still a fun hack and slash loot game. But if my above points sound like dealbreakers to you, then no.

Xater

I always thought that Dungeon Siege was one of the most boring attempts at creating aDiablo clone. Obsisdian being involved doesn't help either.

Yes! A co-op hack 'n slash from Obsidian! Hopefully, this will make good on the original intent and ideas set forth by Chris Taylor and GPG before DS1 turned out to be so...standard. The Wasteland-like condition system of incapacitation range had better remain and super-cool mounts better return, too. As well, movement through the world will hopefully be a bit more than a super-linear progression the series has made standard up till now.

I'd say the thing i'm most excited about is the fact that the guy who worked on Alpha Protocol saying that this project was coming along really well. If you'll recall he said he was ashamed to work on AP but was really happy with the progress of their secret game. and now we play, the waiting game

Natakuu

Banned
Another Obsidian game already? Maybe they should try to cut back on the number of simultaneously developed titles they have at one time..

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
My friends and I love pretty much any type of free online RPG for consoles (Sacred II, WKC) so I will likely buy this on day 1 for PS3. :D

bryehn

I have no idea how this came to be published by SE, some kind of new "partners" program?

Either way, I'm super-de-doooooper excited for this one.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Onion_Relish said:
I'd say the thing i'm most excited about is the fact that the guy who worked on Alpha Protocol saying that this project was coming along really well. If you'll recall he said he was ashamed to work on AP but was really happy with the progress of their secret game. and now we play, the waiting game

Did we ever comfirm that guy wasnt just spouting bullshit? I mean we are talking about the Joystiq comments section...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Weird. I just finished Alpha Protocol and just re-re-re-installed Dungeon Siege on Thursday. I do believe I'm their target audience for this one. :lol

Pooya

Is there any Alpha Protocol artwork out there? I want to see how it translated to the actual game :lol .
those look great though.

batbeg

New Snowblind hack'n'slash? Fuck yes. Obsidian hack'n'slash? Fuck yes.

Motherfuckin' any fuckin' hack'n'slash? Fuck yes.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sorta OT... When is SE's E3 line up coming out?

Cep

Banned
Obsidian! FUCK YEAH!

HK-47 said:
Did we ever comfirm that guy wasnt just spouting bullshit? I mean we are talking about the Joystiq comments section...

Bullshit or no, it did sound plausible.

Sqorgar said:
You're right. I forgot about the PSP game.

EDIT: I like Obsidian. They have a lot of talent. But their predilection for making sequels to other people's games is just weird. They are mercenaries for hire. They are the Treyarch of RPGs.

well some of them worked on fallout 1 (i think?) so fallout 2 (and new vegas) may not quite count (well ok new vegas may count since its a sequel to the re-imagined bethesda fallout gameplay)

christ I just hope new vegas turns out ok.

but then again its always good to have work ready once your current job wraps

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari said:
Never. They withdrew from the show.

No more Versus XIII then.

Forever.

Freki

Morbid Angel said:
Meh. I like Obsidian but I think I'd rather wait for Diablo III.
Well you'll be able to play DSIII for at least a year till D3 comes out...
Yes I'm crying too

ULTROS!

Kagari said:
They're too focused on North American expansion anyway, Versus got shelved.

Guess we should expect Western Fantasy XV. Features overly muscular swordsmen with no hair and muscular female white/black mages with no hair.

ULTROS! said:
Guess we should expect Western Fantasy XV. Features overly muscular swordsmen with no hair and muscular female white/black mages with no hair.

Colour palette is restricted solely to brown and grey.

Gattsu25

Banned
I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Dungeon Siege 1, and I thought Dungeon Siege 2 was a fun game

Dungeon Siege on the PSP was pretty amazing and probably the best Diablo-alike on handhelds (except for PSX Diablo I on PSP CFW)*

This is really shocking news, IMO, and I'm very excited to see what they show at E3.

Squeenix is quickly becoming a player in the WRPG field. I'm happy to see that. Hope it bodes well with them.

*yay! acronyms

Purkake4

Banned
Now tell me, who sieges a dungeon anyway? Don't you usually assault it?

Then again actually sieging a dungeon sounds kind of boring.

Cep

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Dungeon Siege 1, and I thought Dungeon Siege 2 was a fun game

Dungeon Siege on the PSP was pretty amazing and probably the best Diablo-alike on handhelds (except for PSX Diablo I on PSP CFW)*

This is really shocking news, IMO, and I'm very excited to see what they show at E3.

Squeenix is quickly becoming a player in the WRPG field. I'm happy to see that. Hope it bodes well with them.

*yay! acronyms

Let us not get ahead of ourselves here.

Let us wait until the inevitable Obsidian takeover by SE (Nirolak, how good are SE's current finances?).

Personally, I'm excited for this.

From the PC perspective, it's nothing too spectacular, but from a console view, it's pretty exciting and if they don't screw it up could be a lot of fun. Other than Sacred 2 there hasn't really been anything like this on consoles this generation and I think my friends and I could really go for some non-online co-op dungeon hacking. We played through all those games last gen and really enjoyed them (Baldur's Gate DA 1&2, The Norrath Games).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Cep said:
Let us not get ahead of ourselves here.

Let us wait until the inevitable Obsidian takeover by SE (Nirolak, how good are SE's current finances?).

Nah they wont want Obsidian. Especially since Eidos can do the same thing in their eyes.

Top Bottom