• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Dungeon Siege 3 (SQEX / Obsidian / GPG collaboration)

DaBuddaDa

Nirolak said:
It's kind of debatable if you can call working on a somewhat mediocre niche franchise from a halfway bankrupt developer "sloppy thirds".

It's more like resurrecting from the dead.

Sqorgar

Banned
Nirolak said:
It's kind of debatable if you can call working on a somewhat mediocre niche franchise from a halfway bankrupt developer "sloppy thirds".

Perhaps fourths is more appropriate. :p
You're right. I forgot about the PSP game.

EDIT: I like Obsidian. They have a lot of talent. But their predilection for making sequels to other people's games is just weird. They are mercenaries for hire. They are the Treyarch of RPGs.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
NIN90 said:
Dunno. Sounds like a disaster. I just can't see a good game coming out of this.

I can, but then I've been waiting for a Dark Alliance clone for about 5 years now, so getting two is manna to mine palate.

Acosta

Err, I don't understand this very well (why?), but hey I love Obsidian and I love Chris Taylor, so whatever, party!

Probably is a good idea not getting Gas Powered Games into another RPG, I know Chris loves the genre but I don't think the team is suited for them.

Patryn

I've always though of DS as Diablo-With-An-AI-Party (but pretty crappy loot dropping algorithms). I'm not quite sure that Diablo needs a super fleshed out storyline with choices and consequences. I always saw the story as the parts you had to endure before you could get back to killing things.

Turning it into something its not? Rather they improve loot drops.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sqorgar said:
You're right. I forgot about the PSP game.

EDIT: I like Obsidian. They have a lot of talent. But their predilection for making sequels to other people's games is just weird. They are mercenaries for hire. They are the Treyarch of RPGs.

They havent found a ton of success is why. Thats why they are willing to do work for that Wheel of Time game despite not have much creative control over it. Plus they are independent so they can hired themselves to many different pubs. They arent like Treyarch at all. At least they arent stuck on one franchise forever...

Patryn said:
I've always though of DS as Diablo-With-An-AI-Party (but pretty crappy loot dropping algorithms). I'm not quite sure that Diablo needs a super fleshed out storyline with choices and consequences. I always saw the story as the parts you had to endure before you could get back to killing things.

Turning it into something its not? Rather they improve loot drops.

I can see a focus on narrative working from hack 'n' slash RPGs just like they can any kind of RPG, in fact I've been looking forwards to somebody giving it a try for a while. However I don't think DS is a strong enough base to pull off anything other than a terrible to almost mediocre product in the end.

parasight

Very pleasant surprise for me. I'm in, but I'm guessing it's going to end up launching around Diablo 3 time which will surely hurt sales.

duckroll

HK-47 said:
Resources as in several programming and QA miracles?

I wonder who the creative director and the writers are on this. Is it Ziets?

According to the Obsidian forums...

Secret Project

Project Director: Feargus Urquhart
Lead Designer: Nathaniel Chapman
Lead Creative Designer: George Ziets

So if this is the secret project, then yes Zeits should be the creative director.

Spwn

Are these the shocking news? Well anyways, could be worse. I kinda enjoyed the first game, but never played the second one. May look into DS3.

Interfectum

Oh god... obsidian doing a multiplayer focused game? :lol I hope New Vegas gives them a cash injection to hire more QA.

Dynoro

I really enjoyed Dungeon Siege 1 (2 not so much) but is " Players can go on an adventure without leaving their couch" really a bulletpoint for the game; that just seems like fanboy baiting.

Rad-

I'm pretty hyped. I really liked the first one, one of the most fun multiplayer experiences I had in the early 2000's.

Ashkeloth

Awesome. Back in my PC gamer days I played the second one quite a bit. I'm glad it's coming to consoles too. I was just starting to get a hankering for this sort of game.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
NIN90 said:
Dunno. Sounds like a disaster. I just can't see a good game coming out of this.
Same here.

At least Gas Powered Games looks like it is working on an awesome game right now and don't have to worry too much about this getting in the way. However, Obsidian working on it worries me.

But, the first one wasn't that good and I never bothered with the second one. It was definitely fun, and epic, and all of that, but it never felt that interesting. I think Taylor got so obsessed with streamlining the genre that he took out some of the parts that made it so fun in the first place.

If that disgruntled Obsidian employee post from another website's Alpha Protocol review is to be believed apparently this game is shaping up to be quite promising. In any case I guess we'll see come E3.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The only way this works is if the DS3 is completely different than the first two games. Otherwise its just a waste of Obsidians talent. At least when we found out that Obs was doing NWN2 there was at least the framework of a choice-based rpg there, even if the first game wasnt like that at all. Dungeon Siege though? Not really a fan of GPGs rpg efforts.. the last one being total shit.

i just.. i dunno. The feeling i have is very hard to pin down.

After the worst game ever (a.k.a. Space Siege) I hope they don't let GPG ruin this.

Updated Dungeon Siege gameplay with lots of AI followers with some choices in the main campaign could be really good. And I've actually missed the series, both DS1 and 2 was good enough to want the franchise to continue.

Go go Obsidian!

Gin

i enjoyed the first one - second one didnt get a chance to play

but announcement seems cool - i am interested

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:
According to the Obsidian forums...

So if this is the secret project, then yes Zeits should be the creative director.

If this were another RPG series I'd be all "fuck yeah" but Diablo clones and heavy, multifaceted stories with dialogue choices seems an odd fit. Especially since loot whores are firmly in the number and stats sector of RPG fans.

Agate

Neo Member
I never played any of these before, is it along the lines of Boulder's*sp) Gate or Diablo by any chance??

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
HK-47 said:
If this were another RPG series I'd be all "fuck yeah" but Diablo clones and heavy, multifaceted stories with dialogue choices seems an odd fit.

Well, remember that Boyarsky signed up with D3 to do exactly the former, even if it seems they've cut the latter out since.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
HK-47 said:
If this were another RPG series I'd be all "fuck yeah" but Diablo clones and heavy, multifaceted stories with dialogue choices seems an odd fit. Especially since loot whores are firmly in the number and stats sector of RPG fans.
Dungeon Siege 2 had a lot of dialog actually.

It was all horrid, but there was a lot of it.

Edit:

Looking back, there were actually dialog choices as well.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Nirolak said:
Dungeon Siege 2 had a lot of dialog actually.

It was all horrid, but there was a lot of it.

Edit:

Looking back, there were actually dialog choices even.
Ummm, exactly. Loot whores dont care about story, and they are gonna be the primary fanbase this targets unless the series changes direction.

Also Diablo III had dialogue choices? And isnt Boyarsky the world designer, not the lead writer/creative director?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jrricky said:
:lol :lol at shocked statement...

:lol :lol at Obsidian developing...

Arent you the guy that was shocked that people were playing Obsidian games for the story/dialogue?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
HK-47 said:
Ummm, exactly. Loot whores dont care about story, and they are gonna be the primary fanbase this targets unless the series changes direction.
I just meant it would technically be fitting with the series, even though it's not especially fitting with the genre.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
HK-47 said:
Also Diablo III had dialogue choices? And isnt Boyarsky the world designer, not the lead writer/creative director?

Briefly. It doesn't now.

And yes, he's the world designer, but that's still a big deal. I'd thought that Dave Maldonado might jump over too, but he seems to be super-happy on WoW.

Kade

Obsidian can't die. Just when you think they've fucked up and they won't be around in the next year or two, they announce a title with a major publisher.

MoxManiac

Dunno what to think, the DS series was pretty awful, but Obsidian didn't develop those, did they? And why is S-E involved? wtf...

Sacha

US PR, OP edited :

Square Enix Announces Partnership With Obsidian Entertainment for DUNGEON SIEGE 3

LOS ANGELES, June 7 -- Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today that it is partnering with Obsidian Entertainment?, Inc. on DUNGEON SIEGE® 3. With input from the original developer, Gas Powered Games®, Obsidian Entertainment will develop the next incarnation of the DUNGEON SIEGE franchise with Square Enix as the game's publisher. Coming for the first time to high-def home video game consoles, DUNGEON SIEGE 3 will be available for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC.

DUNGEON SIEGE 3 is representative of Square Enix's ongoing strategic partnerships with Western game developers and its commitment to increasing its presence in the North American market. The game will bring together the beloved aspects of the DUNGEON SIEGE franchise with Obsidian Entertainment's expertise, to create an evolved action-RPG experience. In addition to its arrival on high-def consoles for the first time, the game will also feature an all-new co-op multiplayer mode.

Originally created by Chris Taylor and his critically-acclaimed studio Gas Powered Games, Taylor will serve as an advisor during the development of the game. DUNGEON SIEGE 3 will seamlessly blend intuitive action gameplay and a robust RPG system in an immersive world where every decision the player makes will result in consequences.

On his involvement, Taylor comments, "It's a great pleasure to collaborate with Obsidian. They are a very talented developer who really knows what it takes to build a deep and engaging RPG experience, and I can't think of a better group to continue the DUNGEON SIEGE series."

"It's a distinct privilege and thrill to become a part of the DUNGEON SIEGE legacy," said Feargus Urquhart, CEO and Co-Founder of Obsidian Entertainment, Inc. "This partnership with Square Enix is a milestone for both Obsidian and the franchise, and the two companies' strengths for compelling characters and storytelling will shine throughout DUNGEON SIEGE 3."

"With their proven track record of developing some of the most exciting and engaging games in recent memory, we are honored to be working with such a talented developer as Obsidian Entertainment," said John Yamamoto, president and chief executive officer of Square Enix, Inc. "Square Enix is committed to expanding our portfolio of games across a wide variety of genres and we are confident we will deliver the ultimate DUNGEON SIEGE experience that fans are looking for."

About DUNGEON SIEGE 3

Story

Torn asunder, the delicate balance of power between the kingdom of Ehb's powerful factions has fallen apart. As one of the few remaining members of the disgraced protectors of the land, the 10th Legion, it is up to you to rebuild the once great Legion and stop Ehb from falling into darkness. Joined by a group of unique companions, you will travel through the striking land of Ehb defeating all manner of villains and beasts through a combination of heroic abilities, screen shaking magic and pure cunning.

DUNGEON SIEGE 3 seamlessly blends intuitive action gameplay, a robust RPG system featuring a large selection of abilities, an extensive multiplayer component and the depth of story Square Enix and Obsidian Entertainment are known for creating.

Features

* For the first time, play DUNGEON SIEGE on high-def consoles.
* Players will be able to adventure by themselves or with friends in co-op multiplayer.
* Uncover a deep story that only Square Enix and Obsidian Entertainment can deliver.
* Pick from unique and highly customizable character classes with a wide range of abilities to choose from.
* Recruit companions with unique personalities, abilities and views on the world around them.
* Players will have weighty decisions to make that will impact their alliances, enemies and the culmination of the story.

DUNGEON SIEGE 3 is not yet rated. Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) website at www.esrb.org for more information about ratings.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
dygiT said:
Obsidian can't die. Just when you think they've fucked up and they won't be around in the next year or two, they announce a title with a major publisher.
Even if they didnt have two other projects, NV will save them.

Top Bottom