• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix appears to have disabled streaming for Left Alive amidst a rough debut in Japan

Shin

Banned
Left Alive, the survival action shooter that is known as the spiritual successor of the Front Mission series, released a couple days ago in Japan and things aren’t looking too great for its debut.
When Left Alive released in Japan on February 28, players were able to stream the game with no issues, with the only exception being all event scenes were blocked and disallowed to stream.

However, as of yesterday it appears that players can no longer broadcast Left Alive. In the image below that was shared by a streamer named fei, it states that the application is not authorized when trying to stream the game through YouTube.

Over at Amazon Japan the game is currently sitting at a staggering low rating of 1.8 out of 5 stars, and these were mostly made prior to the game’s streaming getting blocked.
Most of the negative feedback ranges from difficulty to poor design, issues with controls, character motions, and graphics.
It’s also worth noting that the game has been selling for 44% off on Amazon Japan with prices down to 5,050 yen from its standard 8,964 yen price, which is pretty surprising given that it’s hasn’t even been out for three days.

D0kkw7KU4AAvICH_thumb.jpg

Credit: Siliconera via Hachima
Note: quote altered to reflect image position.

This game felt really, really off since the first reveal. I dont think ive seen a single video where something didnt look quite right... And I cant even quanitfy exactly what it is either. Just something.

Shame because this, in theory, should be an immediate take my money preorder.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Damn, I'm sad to hear that. I was very few people (or the only one) who was looking forward to this game, I personally really like the character designs and music sound pretty good but this makes me want to wait for the price drop.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
I only knew of this game coming out from looking on wikipedia at a list of upcoming PS4 games. Just have a feeling it's not gonna be too good.

Shifty1897

I started playing Front Mission 5 for the first time since I knew this game wasn't going to go over well. I'm happy with my decision.

The first reveal was really something. Front Mission spiritual successor, Shinkawa art, Square Enix new ip. I was really excited, I expected a new high level game with high production values (maybe dreaming AA++ish?), but then months passed and the first gameplay reveal didn't met my expectations (they were high, I know).
Too bad the game seems poorly reviewed by customers

Verdanth

Price drop on that collectors edition and Ill buy one just for the statue then :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

CatCouch

Is it really bad? What happened? Translating the Amazon reviews is depressing, it sounds like every part of the game is bad or something. Brutal.

I preordered this yesterday, should I cancel and wait to see what happens?

I just bought a bunch of PS4 games and Devil May Cry 5 is about to release so I don't need to buy this if it's all screwed up.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I cancelled my preorder. In all honesty I wanted it to be good, but just like Front Mission 4 and Front Mission Evolved; there's another Front Mission worth playing. Front Mission 3 is one of my favorite games. I wanted to support it, but I kept feeling like they'd miss the mark. Awesome art though.

Is it really bad? What happened? Translating the Amazon reviews is depressing, it sounds like every part of the game is bad or something. Brutal.

I preordered this yesterday, should I cancel and wait to see what happens?

I just bought a bunch of PS4 games and Devil May Cry 5 is about to release so I don't need to buy this if it's all screwed up.

Good job ordering DMC5. I'd wait if I were you on getting this. Sekiro is out later this month. If you want Front Mission, play Front Mission 3.

Last edited:

CatCouch

I cancelled my preorder. In all honesty I wanted it to be good, but just like Front Mission 4 and Front Mission Evolved; there's another Front Mission worth playing. Front Mission 3 is one of my favorite games. I wanted to support it, but I kept feeling like they'd miss the mark. Awesome art though.

Good job ordering DMC5. I'd wait if I were you on getting this. Sekiro is out later this month. If you want Front Mission, play Front Mission 3.
I was excited since the art looked good. I still have Front Mission 3 and 4 on my shelf. I'm guessing there will be a price drop sooner than later.

Goodbye Left Alive! That just leaves me more time to enjoy DMC5!

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Looks like it's a bug which they are investigating.

IE: jumping to conclusions turned into news for the weekend.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Meh. NieR was given poor reviews as well around its launch and it quickly became one of my favorite games of all time. I never expected the game to be AAA quality, but just some dumb A to AA fun.

DubReno

So.....just like Canada.

Yeah man, shit sucks here for game prices. I hardly buy console games anymore since I can usual get a 15%-20% discount on new PC games. When GMG sent an email questionaire talking about making it CAD pricing I pretty much filled out the survey with "I will no longer purchase games from here".

Enjay

Banned
Damn, I'm sad to hear that. I was very few people (or the only one) who was looking forward to this game, I personally really like the character designs and music sound pretty good but this makes me want to wait for the price drop.
everyone should remember this post whenever danjin44 promotes a game.

Just wait. You'll enjoy it more if you pay $20 for it. This game is dead.

It looks like it'll be a fun mid-tier game. But the shooting, movement, and game controls looked very stiff all along.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
everyone should remember this post whenever danjin44 promotes a game.
Whats wrong for getting excited about games? I like to be hype for games, sure there is a chance I might get disappointed but rather have that than just be jaded person.
For the most it worked out for just fine, there wasn't a single game last year I was disappointed.

Last edited:

CatCouch

The exceptionally negative reception I'm seeing coupled with how many new games released recently has made my decision to cancel pretty easy. I can be disappointed in games from time to time but I rarely regret purchases. The one thing that can make me regret a little is noticeable price drops right after buying at launch and this seems like a plausible scenario for Left Alive. I'll check it out in a month or so~

I can't help but be interested, still. I mean how bad could it really be? The stuff I have seen for it checks a lot of boxes for me, as far as what I like in games.

Fbh

Looking at trailers and gameplay videos it always looked rough. But I was hoping it would be one of those rough hidden games like the original Nier
I guess time will tell. Japan is weird anyway, didn't they hate Demon Souls too?

So.....just like Canada.

$80 Canadian dollars are roughly the equivalent of USD $60, so prices in Canda are pretty much the same as in the US.

The original price of this was the equivalent of USD $80..... which is around $106 CAD

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Apparently, someone at Game Informer decided that they should just grab Siliconera's article without doing any fact-checking of their own, and posted implying foul play on Square Enix's part 18 hours after they clarified that it's a bug which they are investigating.

https://www.gameinformer.com/report...ng-for-left-alive-after-rocky-launch-in-japan

The original article hasn't been updated either, which is funny for me. They follow and quote Hachima, which is one of those sensationalist Japanese blogs known to be full of speculation and jumping the gun, but not the game's official Twitter account.

Last edited:

JohannCK

Oh hey, that's my review.

While the game is quite obviously an objectively bad game- Referring to the issues as "countless" is not in any way hyperbole- I actually enjoyed it a bit.

I've seen people online say that it feels like one of those weird Japanese games put out for the PS1 or PS2 by a company nobody ever heard of that went under a few months after launching it, and that feels entirely accurate. If you expect it to be something of this level, it might be surprisingly fun (but of course it's probably unreasonable to ask of this from most peopledue to Square-Enix seemingly choosing to present it like a AAA game).

Think Disaster Report, one of the older EDF games, or Michigan: Report From Hell. It's pretty much in that class.

The gameplay in the boss fights are just plain atrocious though. I have absolutely nothing good to say about them.

And yes,

Apparently, someone at Game Informer decided that they should just grab Siliconera's article without doing any fact-checking of their own, and posted implying foul play on Square Enix's part 18 hours after they clarified that it's a bug which they are investigating.

https://www.gameinformer.com/report...ng-for-left-alive-after-rocky-launch-in-japan

The original article hasn't been updated either, which is funny for me. They follow and quote Hachima, which is one of those sensationalist Japanese blogs known to be full of speculation and jumping the gun, but not the game's official Twitter account.

Hachima is one of those clickbait troll blogs. I'll just copy what I posted about them before here:

these are infamous clickbait websites which cherrypick (or sometimes straight up fabricate) the most inflamatory comments they can come up with and do not by any extent represent the average person. Even the most ignorant of people take their nonsense with a grain of salt.

The streaming issue seems to only be for Youtube, the game has been streaming completely fine via the PS4 UI on Twitch all this time, which would make no sense if it were being done as some sort of cover-up conspiracy.

They are blocking streaming and recording for all cutscenes and loading screens though, a choice which is perplexing that I'd say actually works negatively against them.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Think Disaster Report, one of the older EDF games, or Michigan: Report From Hell. It's pretty much in that class.

Sounds like I'll probably enjoy it then, especially given the great character and mecha design. I adore Disaster Report and EDF. I don't mind the jank if the story is good and the game has redeeming features. I play visual novels lol.

Hachima is one of those clickbait troll blogs.

Exactly. It's ok to follow them because they're often faster on the news than official media, but i would never *never* report something they write without doing extensive fact-checking of my one. That's just journalistic suicide.

The streaming issue seems to only be for Youtube, the game has been streaming completely fine via the PS4 UI on Twitch all this time, which would make no sense if it were being done as some sort of cover-up conspiracy.

Yeah, but can't expect one of the biggest and most popular gaming sites in the world to notice such trivial details I guess.

Last edited:

While the game is quite obviously an objectively bad game- Referring to the issues as "countless" is not in any way hyperbole- I actually enjoyed it a bit.

I've seen people online say that it feels like one of those weird Japanese games put out for the PS1 or PS2 by a company nobody ever heard of that went under a few months after launching it, and that feels entirely accurate. If you expect it to be something of this level, it might be surprisingly fun (but of course it's probably unreasonable to ask of this from most peopledue to Square-Enix seemingly choosing to present it like a AAA game).

Think Disaster Report, one of the older EDF games, or Michigan: Report From Hell. It's pretty much in that class..

See, this is precisely why I was interested in this game, it looks like a throwback to the PS2 days.

But I was hoping it would actually be good, I still want to play it but I'll have to wait for it to come down in price.

Pallas

I just recently heard about this and being a big fan of the Front Mission series(the remake of the first in the series on the DS was my favorite) Is this at all set in the same world as the FM series?

It looks very interesting, despite its flaws.

Sakura

Looking at trailers and gameplay videos it always looked rough. But I was hoping it would be one of those rough hidden games like the original Nier
I guess time will tell. Japan is weird anyway, didn't they hate Demon Souls too?

$80 Canadian dollars are roughly the equivalent of USD $60, so prices in Canda are pretty much the same as in the US.

The original price of this was the equivalent of USD $80..... which is around $106 CAD
If you look at exchange rates sure. But in reality it is kind of different. Our wages don't increase because the dollar got weaker. If I am making 10 dollars an hour, and all of a sudden I have to pay 80 dollars for a game when before I was paying 60 dollars, I am paying more than I was before, even if it may work out to a similar price converted to US dollars.
Consider that in Japan, this doesn't happen. When the PS4 launched in Japan, it was 39,980 yen. In the US it was 399. The Japanese yen continued to get weaker and weaker, and in just a years' time, from being at around parity, 1 USD was 120 yen. If exchange rates were supposed to determine pricing, the PS4 in Japan should've jumped from 39,980 to like 47,000. But it didn't, it remained at the same price regardless of the strength of the yen. Canada? As soon as the dollar started to get weaker, we're talking like 1USD = 1.10~1.15 CAD, we get "hey guys sorry but we have to raise the price from 399 to 450 because your dollar sucks".

xrnzaaas

It's funny how they're not solving the problem that way at all. Most professional or even semi-amateur streamers use capture cards. They're only pissing off people who don't go beyond the Share feature.

Fbh

If you look at exchange rates sure. But in reality it is kind of different. Our wages don't increase because the dollar got weaker. If I am making 10 dollars an hour, and all of a sudden I have to pay 80 dollars for a game when before I was paying 60 dollars, I am paying more than I was before, even if it may work out to a similar price converted to US dollars.
Consider that in Japan, this doesn't happen. When the PS4 launched in Japan, it was 39,980 yen. In the US it was 399. The Japanese yen continued to get weaker and weaker, and in just a years' time, from being at around parity, 1 USD was 120 yen. If exchange rates were supposed to determine pricing, the PS4 in Japan should've jumped from 39,980 to like 47,000. But it didn't, it remained at the same price regardless of the strength of the yen. Canada? As soon as the dollar started to get weaker, we're talking like 1USD = 1.10~1.15 CAD, we get "hey guys sorry but we have to raise the price from 399 to 450 because your dollar sucks".

So other imported products in Canada adapt their prices depending on the current strength of the currency?
If the CAD has a 10% drop all exporters around the world sell their products 10% cheaper to Canada to keep the prices? Or importers just take a 10% cut to their revenue?

I'm not from the US either and the price of imported goods in my country depend on the strength of our currency and/or the USD
When I worked retail 1 USD was around 500 in our local currency so games were 30.000.
Now 1 USD is around 660 which has increased the price of games to around 40.000.
Of course that also applies to everything else too.

As for Japan. It's cool that the Ps4 got cheaper but is it something that generally happens with all products? Because a Japanese company altering their prices to adapt to the current Japanese economy doesn't sound too crazy

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

The gameplay in the boss fights are just plain atrocious though. I have absolutely nothing good to say about them.

And yes,

Hachima is one of those clickbait troll blogs. I'll just copy what I posted about them before here:

They are blocking streaming and recording for all cutscenes and loading screens though, a choice which is perplexing that I'd say actually works negatively against them.

"Objectively bad game"? I will wait until I get my copy to see that. You mention games like Disaster Report, EDF, and Report from hell, all of which were most assuredly not "objectively bad" and were highly entertaining. If this game is in the same class as those, then it will be a fun time.

The Snake

I was really looking forward to this, but as others have said--each time something about the game came out something seemed just...wrong. And it's difficult to tell what it was. Obviously the character designs were fantastic, but something didn't seem right. And SE seemed hellbent on hiding the game in a way. Not showing the gameplay off too much, and in general just not pushing the game in advertising. I've seen and heard so little about it since it was announced.

I was willing to give it the old college try but I think I"m going to pass, especially since the last time I did that, with Metal Max Xeno -- another entry in a favorite franchise with a great character artist on board-- turned out to be hot garbage.

It's a shame because there's some quality here, but it looks like they put style before substance in the end.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Ind SE seemed hellbent on hiding the game in a way. Not showing the gameplay off too much

This is entirely false. They have done several livestreams showing off the game extensively, and several different parts of it. As a matter of fact, they did the game no favors by putting at the controls inept celebrities that kept blundering around and dying repeatedly.

If there's one thing Square Enix hasn't done with this game over the last few months is hiding.

Which makes the incorrect reporting about an intentional streaming lock even more incomprehensible, if people even bothered to follow the game instead of just picking up some random weekend news from a Japanese blog with a poor reputation without doing any proper fact-checking.

Last edited:

The Snake

This is entirely false. They have done several livestreams showing off the game extensively, and several different parts of it. As a matter of fact, they did the game no favors by putting at the controls inept celebrities that kept blundering around and dying repeatedly.

If there's one thing Square Enix hasn't done with this game over the last few months is hiding.

Which makes the incorrect reporting about an intentional streaming lock even more incomprehensible, if people even bothered to follow the game instead of just picking up some random weekend news from a Japanese blog with a poor reputation without doing any proper fact-checking.

My apologies then, I never saw any of that. Just the occasional promo video here and there on gaming sites.

What should I be following to see stuff like this in the future?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
My apologies then, I never saw any of that. Just the occasional promo video here and there on gaming sites.

What should I be following to see stuff like this in the future?

I tend to write a lot about this kind of games on Twinfinite, and we have recordings of all the gameplay from previous livestreams (some are hilarious, since they have totally incompetent celebs at the controls), but I'd rather not link anything because I remember NeoGaf having rules against self-promotion.

Top Bottom