• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix awarded US patent for single-button action RPG battle system

The Llama

If anyone decided to challenge this in court, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't hold up. That said, its almost certainly not worth the effort (time and money) to actually do that. Shame.

darkziosj

Ew.

Didn't FFXIII also have some similar bs that was basically press X to win? Disgusting. And they wanted to appeal to the traditional players they said recently? xd

Add L1 or R1 to change to random paradigms and there u go, seems like SE perfected the system.

Kule

This is basically how kingdom hearts works from birth by sleep onwards. your skills auto rotate and you just press one button. It works really well and lets you focus more on avoiding attacks and blocking.

edoara

Neo Member
So does this mean other developers can't make single-button combat systems?

fn7xFbq.jpg

What a nice point you've got there. Fantastic news.

Tomohawk

Really intriging idea dont know how original it is though. would love to see how it works in an in game setting. as some one who hates menu combat, a game based around positioning to do different spells sounds great.
edit:
seikendentsu does this?
did not know will have to check out.

leadbelly

Banned
Do a lot of developers do this? Seeing as there are many games that borrow game mechanics from other games, I'm guessing, no.

Final Fantasy XV gameplay video.

As if the series wasn't easy or casual enough.

"Hence, the game is difficult for a beginner of the game to get accustomed to, e.g., he/she cannot fully enjoy the game until mastering the game."

I played and beat the older Final Fantasy games with ease when I barely even knew how to read.

I'm hoping its a fugue design lark and it isn't held up like that; I mean, we're out of the Gen 7 dark ages...I'd hope it won't be at least.

Kuro

Ew.

Didn't FFXIII also have some similar bs that was basically press X to win? Disgusting. And they wanted to appeal to the traditional players they said recently? xd

Wrong, game required strategy although I'm not a big fan of the system

I do not care about some dumb-ass patent, Square Enix.

Get busy making a good game.

That's the point of this patent!

Huge influx of phone games incoming!

Everyone (aka non-gamers) will call Square-Enix games good since they will be able to win. Even babbies will be able to finish the Final Fantasy 7 Remake for iOS!

Velcro Fly

Large parts of the original Kingdom Hearts were get close to target and mash X. Of course you had times where you needed to jump and locking on helped so it wasn't exactly just one button.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oh, hey, the mentality that gave us fucking Mystic Quest, thought we stabbed you to death for time immemorial back in the late 1990s.

So now that we know that Final Fantasy XV has a "hold button to attack" scheme and contextual attacks based on how close your allies are, is it safe to assume this patent was for FFXV?

sappyday

So now that we know that Final Fantasy XV has a "hold button to attack" scheme and contextual attacks based on how close your allies are, is it safe to assume this patent was for FFXV?

That would mean either Tabata has taken over the direction of FFXV since earlier this year or Nomura went with the idea.

That would mean either Tabata has taken over the direction of FFXV since earlier this year or Nomura went with the idea.

They filed for the patent in September 2012 so they've been working with this system since at least then. (If indeed this is the FFXV system)

Majukun

so for them FF XIII wasn't already playing itself enough and they are trying to simplify things even more?

what is this a joke?

Isn't this the same idea as FreeFlow combat from the Batman: Arkham series? Contextual attacks based on a single button?

(Granted, FreeFlow is a lot more complex than a single button, thanks to counters and gadgets.)

Majukun

FFXIII plays itself if you allow it to. Same with XII.

since there was no reason to not press auto since there were basically 2 main tactics for the entire game (plus buff and debuffs for bosses),it was only an apparent choice.

but we are OT

Slowdive

Banned

It seems it's hold for a combo, you can still press a button to attack manually.

igbStDv4WJCty.gif

This is a good gif. I'll try and use this to compare to the older demo in the notes. If it was played like that, then:

L1 to implement switch as beginning of combo
Circle press to attack
L1 to implement switch
Circle press to attack
L1 to implement switch
Circle press to attack and then hold for chain
L1 to implement final switch
Circle press for attack

Can you see the pause in the gif after the third switch after the first attack with it? That's where I'd press and hold for the remaining chain.

I thought Molyneux invented this back in '07 for Fable 2.

He invented it in his mind at the very least. And then put it into words.

GameSpot said:
His goals for Fable 2 include combat that's "so simple that anyone can play it" and that "makes you feel cool," both of which he hopes to achieve with just one button on the Xbox 360 controller button. The X button, in case you're wondering.
(linkage)

Top Bottom