• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Characters: Best and Worst

Best will always be Delita from FFT in my mind. He is such a understandable, relatable character, but man, he is also the worst asshole. In my mind, he is the best antagonist Square Enix has come up with.

Worst would probably be the protagonist from FFTA just because who ever wrote him had such an opportunity to write something actually interesting and put him in a moral grey area, but instead avoid any sort of interesting quandry. There are some characters that are just gonna be boring no matter what world you put them into, but this guy just seemed to be boring despite the world around him.

When it comes to design i could never like any Dragon Quest game(If you count them here), I just hate Akira Toriyama's art, i can never find them appealing whatsoever.

The only design i like by hime are the Slime family, the rest is blergh.

Final Fantasy Tactics has the most generic cast to my eyes, the artstyle is unique but the character design itself is pretty forgetable.

So Vivi (and Black mages in general) are my absolute favorite, I have a White and Black mage Chocobo plushies here :D

Nix

Banned
TheShampion said:
Best will always be Delita from FFT in my mind. He is such a understandable, relatable character, but man, he is also the worst asshole. In my mind, he is the best antagonist Square Enix has come up with.

Worst would probably be the protagonist from FFTA just because who ever wrote him had such an opportunity to write something actually interesting and put him in a moral grey area, but instead avoid any sort of interesting quandry. There are some characters that are just gonna be boring no matter what world you put them into, but this guy just seemed to be boring despite the world around him.

Hated this character, after the events on the bridge. God, what an asshole, and he proceeded to fuck you over, get friendly with you, and then fuck you over once more when all was said and done, sending you into the annals of the abyss, never to be remembered, as the hero you were. Such a disgusting character, and yet so compelling and brilliant at the same time. Can't help but hate him in character and love him objectively.

Best Character is probably Balthier. He's just got it; I mean, from his first entrance, this guy was badass. Oh, and he basically swept Fran away from an isolated wood village and "that ass" hngggggg. Witty, and ever so complacent, he just seems like the perfect lead. Yep...the perfect lead...Or at least friendly rival.

Worst: Lemme see. How about Roxas, a.k.a Sora number 2. No...I don't really dislike him as much as I would like to, but how about Lightning or Snow? Shitty characters all around, but then you could also argue, Aerith was a shitty character too. I'm not even saying this because I'm a Tifa fan, but because goddamn, in every iteration of FF7, she was just an ambiguous bitch. I'm sorry, it's true. Come at me irrational Aerith fans.

kpx0

Banned
best = tie between orlandu (FFT), frog (CT), and Citan (Xenogears)

worst = everyone from any spin-off game (FFX2, Crisis Core, etc), anyone bastardized by nomura

Leeness

I have a lot of characters I love from Square games, the entire FFIX cast, I actually really like Sora (I think he's just a sweetie/dork and I think it's adorable), Xeno characters, Balthier, Threads of Fate cast, Vagrant Story cast, I can go on.

But god, if they haven't created some of my most hated characters ever.

Tidus is the worst fictional character I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing. Like, he's my least favourite character of any media, ever. Everything about him, from his design, his face, his voice, his personality, his story, makes me want to kill something.

Snow's whole schtick just killed me. If he had a screechy voice like Tidus, he would have joined Tidus as Most Unlikeable Ever. Everytime he said hero, I wanted to punch someone in the face.

Cloud and Squall are also just really unlikeable. I hate the whiny, moody protagonists who never really seem to go anywhere with it. Cloud was just a mope forever and when he did try to be happy, it was unpleasant. Squall just did a total 180 and suddenly ~was in love~ and I just did not care. It also didn't help Squall that he was paired up with an annoying female lead, who is one of my least favourites in that department.

Some of their moody characters just really, really rub me the wrong way. Some of them work well. But others...

Ellis Kim

Banned
I used to love Lulu and her crazy belts in FFX. As for best, I guess I'd have to give that to Lightning, just because I think she's particularly striking and elegant.

I've never found any particular FF character design to be revolting or whatever (as some people in this thread seem to have done), but I have to say that I've never been a fan of the FFV sprite of Freelancer Bartz. I love his Dissidia Amano-inspired look, but his sprite is just so... plain, especially when you compare it to FF4 and 6 (though I think comparing anything to 6's sprite detail bonanza may be unfair).

bartz5.jpg
Bartz-ThirdOutfit.png

vs

BartzDissidiaRender.PNG

Top Bottom