• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Characters: Best and Worst

My Nominations

Auron.jpg

Best: Auron

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!"

In my opinion Auron is the true hero of Final Fantasy X. Also Auron carries a jug with rum in it and drinks it to power his super moves (Overdrives).

Auron protests against the sacrifices of summoners and their guardians, Yunalesca the legendary summoner priestess then mortally wounds him. He then crawls all the way down Mount Gagazet and dies. He became an 'unsent' by refusing to go to the afterlife until his task was fulfilled. Auron then interferes with the dream world of Zanarkand and guides the main protagonist Tidus into the world. Spira is a world characterized by cycles and repetition, by the end of the game the 'spiral of death' is broken. Auron is so awesome that death itself does not stop him.

Worst: Seymour

Seymour.jpg

From the same game.

"I will destroy Spira, I will save it."

That laugh is just awful. Even for Square's standards he's a very simplistic, ridiculous looking villain!

Mik2121

Best: Vivi

tumblr_la0tboPABx1qdmqqvo1_500.jpg

Worst: Everything else, with the cast from FFXII, FFXIII, FFVIII, etc.. being the worst offenders.

WORST

org_xiii.jpg

All of them. There's a reason why the first Kingdom Hearts is the best game in the series, and it's because these pretentious fucks aren't in it.

BertramCooper said:
WORST

http://monstervine.com/wp-content/2008/07/org_xiii.jpg[/IM

All of them. There's a reason why the first Kingdom Hearts is the best game in the series, and it's because these pretentious fucks aren't in it.[/QUOTE]
Bullshit, Axel is great. :(

JJD

Balthier is one of the best. They should have let him be the main protagonist of XII as Matsuno wanted.

SydneyLosstarot.jpg

I've got to go to sleep, but I'll type up why in the morning. Needless to say he's a very interesting and complex character in a game that's full of them.

Hah. Well, if we're going for worst, it's hard to beat that. Though Vaan is tempting...

For best, it's hard to say. Magus from Chrono Trigger is pretty awesome, as was Kefka. I rather liked the characters in TWEWY, but they fell short of matching these legends. I really like amoral characters.

Magus:
He traveled through time to save his sister. He predicts the deaths of people and has a cat the follows him around. Master of the dark magics, he dares to summon the ancient and almighty Lavos to a fucking DUEL. He has no sense of morality, he is entirely willing to sacrifice countless lives and dreams just for his one goal. He becomes the lord over an entire species (race?) of creatures just to further himself toward his goal, manipulating their dreams to his own ends. When he comes to realize everything he did was in vain, he has no qualm with offering to help your party.

Kefka:
Kefka blew my mind as a child. Everything was always good vs. evil, but evil was really about just the evil guys not liking the good guys and helping each other out to put themselves into power in most games. In many games, the villains are hard for me to argue with - Sephiroth finds himself to be a god, and wants to recreate the world in his image. Who could blame him? I'd want to do the same thing if I were a god. Kefka has none of this. His only goal is to become endlessly powerful for the sake of being powerful. He just wants MORE. When storming a castle, Kefka has no qualm with poisoning the water without telling his own men, because heck, sometimes sacrifices just have to be made. He's willing to suck the life and energy out of espers just for some war technology, and he'll torture and slaughter anyone who he pleases.

From the good old days I nominate:

VI-cyan_sd.jpg

Cyan FFVI (best)

kuja2_0.jpg

Kuja (worst)

Kuja had a super shallow personality and pretty unjustified motive. I never understood his character.

Ramza Beoulve and Delita Heiral from Final Fantasy Tactics would be my nominations for best.

Worst would be Marche Radiuju from Tactics Advance and the entire cast of FFXIII.

Best (tie)

Balthier-from-Final-Fantasy-XII.jpg

Batlhier from FF12. Dashing, sky pirate and man of action. Would love a side game with Balthier as main character.

char_6474.jpg

Ramza, boy of beliefs and honor. Brought down a corrupt church and empire.

Worst

19760-squall_leonhart.squall%20leonhart.jpg

Squall from FF8. Get over yourself Squall.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Best:
Joshua from The World Ends With You
Joshua.jpg

Joshua is where the game picks up. Before that the game's story is...interesting, I guess, but it feels a bit scattered and it lacks focus. Then the second week hits, Joshua teams up with you, and everything changes. Everything about him is a mystery, from his motivations to why he knows all the things he knows. But unusually for a "mysterious figure" character he actually has a brash, annoying personality and his entire chapter feels like you're being dragged along by someone who knows a lot more about what he's doing then you do. Throw in the alternating ambiguity about
whether he killed you or not
and stuff gets really interesting.

And of course there's the ending. If you've beaten the game, and if (even better) you've gotten the logs then Joshua's character takes on a whole new meaning, and all of his actions and personality gain additional layers of depth. All in all he's one of the downright most interesting characters I've ever interacted with in a game.

Worst: Most of the FF cast post-SNES

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Die Squirrel Die said:
But Genesis is Gackt is Nomura, the cycle, don't you see, the cycle.
I'm a big Nomura fan though. I think his designs are mostly great, ranging from spectacular (PE) to bad (KH2). But Genesis.....no excuse.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Lionheart1337 said:
Han solo Bathier and Chewbacca Fran say hi

Yangus and Dhoulmagus too, although thats probably not so much squeenix.

Its Square-Enix and those two are very much on the Enix side.

BlueWord

Balthier and Basch stand out, though there's not a lot done with them in XII. IX probably has the best overall cast; that, or VI. TWEWY also has a great cast, with excellent character development, especially for a JRPG.

XIII probably has the worst overall cast, Vanille being the biggest offense. I actually don't think the others are super terrible, but they're so one-dimensional and poorly written, and with there being not even really one character to balance them out... just not a great cast. Snow was probably the strongest and most likable character; that alone should say something about the strength of the cast.

legacyzero

Banned
Captain_Spanky said:
SydneyLosstarot.jpg

I've got to go to sleep, but I'll type up why in the morning. Needless to say he's a very interesting and complex character in a game that's full of them.

Fucking LOVE Sydney. Perfect Character. That whole game was GOLD.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
excellent choice of character and quote OP... the cutscene against yunalesca was the true definition of epic in final fantasy. Ill have to go with Edea. Her design is amazing and her character is well developed and rich.

bengraven

You know, I've played dozens of SQ-E games in the last 20 years, but can't really think of many great characters.

Cast of FFVI - Especially Celes, Locke and Sabin/Edgar.

Tifa - Aerith is not the love interest, she was a little sister figure...Tifa is the love interest. I'll dispute that until the end of time. Great backstory on her and her continual devotion to Cloud was great. Plus she had a fun side. Despite the fact that she is basically ass and tits, they never defined her character.

Ashley Riot - tough, cursed

Aeana

I still don't associate Dragon Quest with Square in my mind, but if we're talking Square Enix then Yangus is my other choice.

I think the character I like the least of all of theirs is Zidane. Hate that "You're Not Alone" part of the game so much.

Top Bottom