• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Characters: Best and Worst

zkylon

zkylewd
One more:
emir_tit.jpg

(that's Emma from Front Mission 3 & 5)

*edit*
No GAF love for Kefka?
kefka.PNG

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For tri-Ace x Square Enix:

Best: Lenneth, Ahly

1160564633.jpg
vp-ahly2.jpg

Worst: Sarah Jerand, Lymle

Sarah.png
SO4I_Lymle.jpg

Emitan

This thread is reminding me I have an unopened copy of TWEWY.

Balthier and Lenneth Valkyrie are pretty awesome. Fuck Vaan, fuck Tidus.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The_Technomancer said:
Really the entire cast of Star Ocean IV. Seriously.

Myuria and Bacchus were OK.

.JayZii

Banned
kokujin said:
I can see your point.Just look back at Garland, that guy was so awesome, his fighting stance was the coolest.
I was kidding, but FF1 does have some really good designs like Garland and Chaos.

kokujin

Banned
Billychu said:
This thread is reminding me I have an unopened copy of TWEWY.
You should play, but it isn't nearly as good as people say it is.

.JayZii said:
I was kidding, but FF1 does have some really good designs like Garland and Chaos.

Oh, I thought you were serious.Garland/Chaos always stuck with me as my favorite villains.

AwShucks

kokujin said:
You should play, but it isn't nearly as good as people say it is.

This is a lie. It's probably the best game to come out in the last 5 years.

Oh and to contribute to the topic...

Best - Ramza, Aya Brea

Worst - Vanille, Snow, and Hope

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Best: Tie between Ashe and Balthier
Worst: The entire FFX cast except Auron.

Wait. Is this thread about which characters have the best designs, or which characters have the best writing?

If we're talking about writing, I'd say SquEnix's (by which I actually mean just Square's) best characters are probably Lucca Ashtear, Magus, Cloud Strife, Ramza Beoulve, Delita Hyral, Fei Fong Wong, Ramsus Kahr and Squall Leonhart. Their worst would have to be Citan Uzuki (a.k.a. deus ex machina incarnate), Rinoa Heartily, and pretty much everyone from Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy Tactics A2.

Best- FF XII's Vayne Solidor

A Power hungry, cold-hearted badass.

Vayne_solidor.jpg

Worst- Star Ocean Last Hope's Lymle

I don't even want to post a pic. She pisses me off so much. Kay?

rataven

I like the thorn-in-the-hero's-side pests quite a bit: Kain, the Turks (collectively), Beatrix. As for entire casts, IV and VII are my favorites.

My least favorite character, by a margin so wide it's not even close, is this weenie right here:

squall.jpg

I hate you Squall. So, so much.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
BertramCooper said:
WORST

org_xiii.jpg

All of them. There's a reason why the first Kingdom Hearts is the best game in the series, and it's because these pretentious fucks aren't in it.

*shivers*

God I hate Japanese character design!

Beth Cyra

I liked Squall.

Not th greatest character in the world but I liked how they slowly had Rinoa crack him open from the first disk up until he decides to save her.

The orphange scene was awful of course but still I liked the character.

Dreamer RD

+100500
Epic antagonist.
Vivi too.

Other best in my opinion

Emir Klamski (FM3/5)

j92cko.jpg

Aya Brea (Parasite Eve)

212s702.jpg

Kid (Chrono Cross)

2ypdlq8.jpg

Laguna Loire (FFVIII)

332vu6a.jpg

Krelian (Xenogears)

21aeiq0.jpg

The worst are most of KH organization 13. But I think they are tolerable compared to these:

Gakuto-san Genesis (CCFFVII/ Dirge of cerberus)

a9sn4m.jpg

Brahne (FFIX)

2iqnwgx.jpg

jett

D-Member
TheExodu5 said:

Easy.

As for the worst, there's just so much fucking awfulness that Nomura shits out that it's actually hard to pick. It goes without saying that it's someone from FFX probably, right now I'm feeling like saying

Lulu.jpg

That costume is just too goddamn retarded for me.

I honestly don't understand the hate for Squall. Sure, he's not the most likable character, but you don't have to want a character to be your best friend for them to be a good character. Squall, at least for much of the game, is cynical, antisocial, uncommunicative, and strictly business-minded. None of that makes him a bad character - on the contrary, of all the numbered Final Fantasy protagonists, he's probably the most fleshed-out and developed, his only real competition for that title being Cloud. I applaud Square Enix for casting a lead character who the audience isn't immediately supposed to like - it's a hell of a far cry from, say, Final Fantasy XIII, where every character seems contrived to appeal to a certain niche. And believe me, this is the first and last good thing you'll hear me saying about Final Fantasy VIII's story.

ULTROS!

I'll try for antagonists:

Best: Miang

Miang0998.jpg

Worst: Necron - He's just way out of the blue

1324021346145091.gif

Endesu

Best:

20100709174807160px-Ff5_exdeath.jpg

Exdeath. There have been those who have commented on a supposed lack of quality in FFV's story - and fair enough, it's not the deepest tale ever, not that it needs to be. It's very much an energetic little adventure story, and it's paired up with one of Square's best villains. First of all, he's got the look. I don't think anybody can say that he doesn't look intimidating with that armor setup he's got going.

Second, he doesn't waste time. He has a definite goal in mind... and he basically succeeds. He was basically the 'villain who won' before Kefka even came around. You just barely manage to stop him from killing everybody, and even then he still goes out with one hell of a fight.

Third, the music. His regular theme effectively sets the mood and lets you know that he's about to do something nasty. His battle theme is one of the best in the series, to say nothing of his final boss theme.

Finally, his Dissidia appearance. YMMV as to whether you like how he plays or not, but he remains one of the best characters if used by a player who can take advantage of the fact that he's all about countering. That person isn't me, sadly, but I'm still practicing.

Balthier and Galuf are pretty great, too.

Sucks:
Vaan, of course. Haven't played FFXIII.

Ichabod

Banned
Don't be hatin' on Sazh, bra! The shit he says in battle is awesome.

Best:

Orlandeau.gif

Cidolfus Orlandeau
An expert Holy Swordsman and veteran general of the 50 Years War, T.G. Cid is arguably the most powerful swordsman in Ivalice. He is battle hardened, wise, and can easily ruin the shit of every enemy in the game by himself.

Worst:

quina.jpg

Queena
Just looking at this stupid thing pisses me off. What a useless character.

Poshul.jpg

Poshul
A talking pink dog with a speech impediment. ...Yeah.

legacyzero

Banned
Ra1den said:
Squall is the best FF protagonist ever.

Sorry, GAF. I know you hate him, but I support this post.

I do, however, agree that he never reached his potential. But he sure was awesome in the Kingdom Hearts games.

Cheska

BEST: Kaine-NieR
nier_kaine_screen4.jpg

Such a complex character, not your typical run-of-the-mill female character.

WORST:Vaan-Final Fantasy XII
vaan.jpg

What a baby. He was a waste of space and absolutely worthless in the game. Wear a damn shirt son!

Best: Sydney Losstarot

Worst: 95%+ of S-E developed characters.

Mik2121 said:
Worst: Everything else, with the cast from FFXII, FFXIII, FFVIII, etc.. being the worst offenders.
Basch, Ashe, and Balthier were some of the best characters to come out that franchise in a long time.

Top Bottom