• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Characters: Best and Worst

Dreamer RD

Another godlike characters

Inspector Boyd (Legend of Mana)

2cs9q3r.jpg

Stilzkin (FFIX)

fep0m8.jpg

Emitan

TigerUppercut said:
I've never played a Kingdom Hearts game so what is up with the big group of dudes in black robes and what makes them so awful?
Imagine if Fanfiction.net writers made Kingdom Hearts characters. That's those guys.

Threi

notag
worst by a good country mile:

fRjtP.jpg

in a game where playable characters were like pokemon this one still managed to piss you off. That is a hell of a feat.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
To name a few that have yet to be mentioned...

best:
Beatrix
http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/a/a1/Beatrix2.jpg/[img]

and Quistis
[img]http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/2639/248487-quistis1_super.jpg[img]

Worst: Cast of Star Ocean 4, and to a lesser extent the cast of FFXIII

zkylon

zkylewd
TheSeks said:
I wish FM 2 and 5 were translated. :(
There's a complete fan translation for FM5. Get yourself a japanese copy and i think you can patch it with an exe that comes with the translatation. Never got around playing it, but patching it seemed to work.

Sophia

Best characters?

url.jpg

These guys, all of them. Except Chu-chu.

Don't think I need to say worst given how many times the Kingdom Hearts crew was listed.

Caerith

Best:

Dragon Quest VIII is fantastic all around, but I think Marcello is really underappreciated. Sure, he's a total dick, but then he
picks up the staff and shows a dark god what true will really is

Final Fantasy XI has some really strong characters. The companions from Chains of Promathia (especially the Phoenix), Aht Uhrgan's Naja Salaheem and Abquhbah, and of course that dashing Elvaan who starred in all the cutscenes and saved the world several times over.

Everyone in FFXII, especially Balthier.

Possibly the entire cast of TWEWY.

Auron from FFX.

Worst: everyone from FFX except Auron.

carlo6529

Come on people..

Chocobo.jpg

I mean the chocobo in general and all its glorious colours not just chococo dungeon chocobo.
chocobo

ULTROS! said:
Just in case anyone reading this post has not played Xenogears, I want to take this opportunity to mention that this image is not Photoshopped. It is an actual screenshot from the actual game.

Best (My favorite...)
Vincent
I just like him for some reason...
Final-Fantasy-Vincent.jpg

Best(overall)
I would have to jump aboard the Auron train

Worst
Lymle from SO:TLH
Most annoying voice ever (other than Sehrah, but she was actually useful)
SO4I_Lymle.jpg

Balthier and Vivi get the silver and bronze, but the gold goes to:

Captain_Spanky said:
SydneyLosstarot.jpg

I've got to go to sleep, but I'll type up why in the morning. Needless to say he's a very interesting and complex character in a game that's full of them.

Amen, brother.

"Most men complacently accept ‘knowledge’ as ‘truth.’ They are sheep, ruled by fear. But you are different. Always calm, detached. A smooth flow of thought into action.

Indeed…It is almost as if…As if you had no soul. Body and soul are one…yet; yours are separated, like a child from the knight in his storybook.

Where is your soul, Riskbreaker? Is this VKP training? Or did you see something that made you shut your soul away? Show me your soul..."

Dreamer RD said:
Emir Klamski (FM3/5)

j92cko.jpg

Gets honorable mention for not being a neurotic twit like her sister.

genjiZERO

Giolon said:
Spoiler:
You realize that's not her real name right?

Worse than a boy named Hope? Really?

it's pretty wack though. "Call me Light" is the worst fucking line I've heard in a FF game.

and speaking of Hope....

worst

ffxiii_270709_3.jpg

what a fucking bitch. I wanted to stab him the entire game.

best

4238776853_00c63896da.jpg

Easily the most lolitastic character designed ever. It's cool. They say she's overage in the game...

Ezalc

Best: Everybody in IX, Laguna, Balthier.
Worst: Cloud, Sephiroth, Genesis, all of XIII's cast, Vaan, TEEDUHS, basically everybody in KH.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I have really high tolerance for the uguu (to the point where I didn't even bat an eyelash at Lymle or Myuria in Star Ocean 4)... but Genesis is the absolute worst. I cringed every time I heard him and his My Bloody Valentine/My Chemical Romance/Bullet For My Valentine-listenin' emo poetry "Loveless" bullshit.

Also I couldn't stand Tidus, wasn't a fan of Squall, and some of the weaker characters you get forced to partner up with in the FF series (namely Edward in FF4 and Gordon in FF2).

Some of my favorite SE chars through the years, from the common to the obscure:

Chisato Madison, Star Ocean 2 - a news reporter that was a totally optional character. Came through in one of my favorite parts of the game, the whole Energy Nede city area.

art-chisato.jpg

Oersted, Live A Live - one of gaming's most tragic characters. Very interesting storyline in his quest. Cool Live A Live promo video

Yangus, DQ8 - guy was hilarious... great comic relief and amazing VA.

fat_video_game_characters_1.jpg

Red/Alkaiser from SaGa Frontier - I love the SaGa artwork:

saga_art05.gif

Emelia from SaGa Frontier - had a really cool storyline, I love the whole "framed for her husband's murder, has to break out of jail" bit:

saga_art03.gif

This guy was of course awesome:

200px-9-vivi-c.jpg

Gotta give a shout out to Cecil, Kain and Edge... some of my original favorite RPG characters.

Dreamer RD

gatotsu911 said:
Just in case anyone reading this post has not played Xenogears, I want to take this opportunity to mention that this image is not Photoshopped. It is an actual screenshot from the actual game.

Really? Cant remember such background. Gears crucifiction happened in much darker place.

Mik2121 said:
Best: Vivi

tumblr_la0tboPABx1qdmqqvo1_500.jpg

Worst: Everything else, with the cast from FFXII, FFXIII, FFVIII, etc.. being the worst offenders.

Wow. Second post stole the words right out of my mouth.

So far as Square is concerned, there aren't many good characters except for the main villian in FFVI but I forget his name. Enix has lots of good characters.

Every character in Dragon Quest 8 <333

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
H_Prestige said:
Man, original FFVII character art was so badass. Everything is so raw

It's like with every other FFVII game/movie, they passed things through the extreme anime filter.

AC version of them isn't bad, imo.

Rufus-reno-and-rude.jpg

Rufus/Turks are among my favorites.

chri5t

The best, by far: Citan Uzuki (Xenogears)

200px-Citan_Uzuki.jpg

The scene where he
seemingly betrayed you by turning you over to the Gazel Ministry, only to reveal that he was working behind the shadow's to remove the party's Limiter...

One of the best scenes of all time.

WORST: Ultimecia (FF8)
Dissidia_Ultimecia.png

The fact that you don't realize what she even looks like until the last 30 minutes of the game, and the fact that she has the worst accent I've ever had to read solidifies it for me.

But other than that, she was a pretty cool villain in
Edea's body

zkylon said:
Who's this?

Hope's mom from FF13. She's TUFF.

Best for me:
Auron- Even before the game I thought this guy was super cool. I don't know why, but I remember liking him. Once I actually played the game, he was one of the only really serious ones in a group full of kids. He was like a cool dad or something

Disk 3 Squall- Hated Squall and Rinoa all the way up to disk 3. For all intents and purposes that sudden shift of character was probably awful in terms of writing, but I loved it anyways.

Worst:
Most of the cast of FF9- Honestly one of the most boring casts in a video game I've ever played. With the exception of Steiner and Vivi, I couldn't have cared less about them. Not that it mattered since the story never really expanded very much on any of them. Seriously, Amarant? Out of a cast of poor characters he was the worst. What was his deal other than "I HATE YOU OR SOMETHING SO I'M GOING TO FIGHT YOU, ZIDANE!"?

Vaan: I liked most of the cast of 12 from what I played, but I didn't care much for Vaan. To the chagrin of my sister I called him Tidus most of the time and Ashe (and about a million generic female townspersons) Yuna.

Top Bottom