• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Characters: Best and Worst

Dreamer RD

Forgot FF12. Indeed, Balthier is one of the best. Alongside with Basch.

4rp26h.jpg

DonMigs85

Hmm, I like Cyan and Sabin from FFVI, Yuffie and Barrett from FFVII, Rinoa and Laguna from FFVIII, Vivi and Steiner from FFIX, Robo and Frog from CT, and nobody in particular from any newer games.

Bel Marduk said:
My personal favorite. He's from The World Ends With You in case anyone didn't know. He's just crazy fun and has a great style. I love his math terminology. SINE! COSINE! TANGENT!

Joshua from The World Ends With You is also a great choice, though I think the other poster who mentioned him already did a great job explaining him. I just love watching his interactions and relationship with Neku, the protagonist.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I've got to vote for Sabin and Edgar as the best.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Clipse said:
Worst cast:
R9YII.jpg

i disagree. if there was a sequel of kingdom hearts that somehow tied in the bouncer characters(or came up with some shit like sion is soras father) i would be all over it. as short as it was, the bouncer was fun as hell.

Best
m7w6cz.jpg

When I saw all three proudly standing beside each other in VP2...I shat bricks

Worse
Vaan.PNG

"I'm Captain Basch Fon Rosenberg of Dalmasca"...right.

Riposte

Hatred for Vaan is way overstated. He is boyish and naive caught up in events that go way over his head, but not exactly the J-model people paint him as. Maybe dressing like Aladdin didn't do him any favors though.

chri5t

Who designed this character from Bouncer?

It looks like somebody copy-pasted the design from FF8, or vice-versa. It's dead on.

smMRX.png

Levyne

Banned
I'm in the pretty common camp of

Best: Auron, Balthier, etc.

Worst: Paine, Tidus, Org XIII.

One thing I will say is I did like Seymour. Liked him in a villain you love to hate sort of way..

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Oh wait, I do have a worst after all. I forgot this game was published by SE. Worse than Lymle....worse than Vanille

th_grandia3_alfina3d.jpg

KILL THIS BITCH WITH FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chri5t

chri5t said:
Who designed this character from Bouncer?

It looks like somebody copy-pasted the design from FF8, or vice-versa. It's dead on.

smMRX.png

Maybe it's just the creepy-ass grin. Adel is even looking similar.

250px-Adel2.jpg

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
This thread reminded how awesome Squaresoft games were on PSone and their awesome characters pre Tetsuya Nomura era.

I wish the old Square to come back again someday.

raaYY.png

Final Fantasy XII and Dragon Quest VIII have a bunch of winners. One of the standouts in my opinion would have to be Judge Gabranth. He played a pretty memorable role in Final Fantasy XII's story, and he looks awesome with or without the armor.

Totobeni said:
This thread reminded how awesome Squaresoft games were on PSone and their awesome characters pre Tetsuya Nomura era.

I wish the old Square to come back again someday.

But... but... the PS1 era was the start of Noumra's major character design career.

H_Prestige said:
Man, original FFVII character art was so badass. Everything is so raw

It's like with every other FFVII game/movie, they passed things through the extreme anime filter.

You know, it really pisses me of why Nomura chose to let go completely effeminate crazy on his style. The art design behind FFVII is amazing.... I remember back in the beginning of the 00's and the days of 56kbs I stumbled upon a "secret" - or hard to find I guess?- site in the Square studio with alot of behind the scenes of the game developement for FFVII.

Shit was so cash.

Nomura should've stuck to that style instead of what-the fuck-ever happened at FF8.

highluxury said:
You know, it really pisses me of why Nomura chose to let go completely effeminate crazy on his style.

But... he doesn't.

By and large he does not go for "effeminate" in his style.

Amano's the one who by and large has "effeminate" looking males.

Threi said:
my pick for worst comes from my favorite game of all time :/

Congratulations, you're the rare sort who didn't use this thread as a "bash games I don't like" thread.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Riposte said:
Hatred for Vaan is way overstated. He is boyish and naive caught up in events that go way over his head, but not exactly the J-model people paint him as. Maybe dressing like Aladdin didn't do him any favors though.

He's an easy target for simple minds. Most people made up their mind as soon as they saw his design. Whenever I see people describe him as whiny, it says to me they didn't play the game, they didn't pay attention or they're stupid.

Skilletor

PataHikari said:
But... he doesn't.

By and large he does not go for "effeminate" in his style.

Amano's the one who by and large has "effeminate" looking males.

Congratulations, you're the rare sort who didn't use this thread as a "bash games I don't like" thread.

I honestly don't get how so many people bash on Nomura for this and then say they like an Amano design. Look at Amano's Cloud.

Best as a character, like, analysis and all that wise? Vivi.

best as a character who is dastardly, awesomely and smartly designed, voiced, written, everything. BALTHIER BALTHIER U R SO DREAMY

worst? Hope

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I hate the "that looks effeminate" crowd. Its hypocritical, its the same bunch that love Amano's designs (as they should) eventhough his style is even more pronounced towards fragile shapes and features.

Its also insecure. "he looks like a girl!" okay, lets say he does, so what? Plenty of Japanese male models do, how is that "bad"? A lot of CG characters, if you were to lets say, trace them over with pencil would look exactly like the vast majority of anime and manga. Look at saint Seiya, Ranma 1/2, Bleach, Death Note, Captain Tsubasa, etc the facial distinctions between your main male and female characters are minimal. They all have slender faces with no blemishes.

Arsenic

Nobody likes Zack? :(

86a28d6d904d02e8ecbd3d2e8d94407d.wix_mp

He wasn't complex or anything crazy, but he was brave, and one of the least annoying main characters in the FF series. He was light-hearted, never said no and I just felt badass playing as him. All leading up to the very sad ending :(

chri5t

Arsenic said:
Nobody likes Zack? :(

86a28d6d904d02e8ecbd3d2e8d94407d.wix_mp

He wasn't complex or anything crazy, but he was brave, and one of the least annoying main characters in the FF series. He was light-hearted, never said no and I just felt badass playing as him. All leading up to the very sad ending :(

Definitely one of the better backstories for a SE character, but the inclusion of Genesis in Crisis Core just left the game leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

God, Genesis sucked so hardcore. Angeal was just as bad.

BlueWord

Forgot about Zack. A solid protagonist, definitely one of the more likable characters among the FFVII lot, and especially so in the compilation games.

Aesius

Orlandu.jpg

Most overpowered RPG character of all time. Completely breaks the game, but his sheer badassery makes it ok.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Batlhier was my favorite character from my favorite FF. Needs his own game.

The villan guy with stupid blue hair from FFX was the worst.

Kalnos

Banned
I hate how Auron knows everything but says nothing.

Good: Vivi, Ramza, Balthier.

Worst: Palom & Porom, Vann, Selphie, Vanille, Rikku.

Kazerei

Banned
PataHikari said:
Best: From games I like

Worst: From games I don't like

Not necessarily... I enjoyed Xenogears, but Chu-Chu's character design is an abomination. And I didn't enjoy FFXII, but Balthier was pretty cool.

Ultimately, I think a good RPG needs to have good characters. Which is why games I like tend to have characters I like.

EDarkness

My favs are: Tidus, Auron, Sora, Maria (Star Ocean 3), Yuffie, Cloud, Locke, Magus, Kefka (one of the most badass villains they've ever had), Chrono, Zidane, Sazh, Terra, Kain, Edge, Cecil, Quistis, Aya, Ramza, Aerith, and Vincent

Heh, the list is long, but quite a few of their characters really resonated with me for some reason.

Characters I don't like: Vaan, Snow, Hope, hell most of the cast of FFXIII, Golbez, Squall, Barret, Steiner, Seymour, and Strago.

There are a lot of other characters I really didn't care for, but these really stand out with me.

MechaX

chri5t said:
Definitely one of the better backstories for a SE character, but the inclusion of Genesis in Crisis Core just left the game leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

God, Genesis sucked so hardcore. Angeal was just as bad.

Angeal was just wasted potential. And things really only got worst as the game progressed, with
him showing up as a dog and then dying off screen. Oh yeah, SOLDIER director who dropped out of the story is turning into Angeal wat da fuck

But Zack by himself was a pretty refreshing FF protagonist. He was fairly competent, confident without being totally obnoxious, didn't have some dark past, and was generally pretty well-mannered.

Raxus

I still don't get the hate for FFXIII. But as Squall would say, "...Whatever."

Strictly going from XII:
Best Basch and Balthier are the standouts but I liked the whole cast.

...except for Vaan and Penelo. Why were they even in the story when all the other characters had better story arcs.
Hell, Vaan wasn't even in any danger in the end and Balthier almost died.
If they eliminated these two and just kept a tight story on the rest of the cast I would have been content.

Top Bottom