• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Characters: Best and Worst

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
First time playing FFXII, so no spoilers please, but so far I really don't completely understand the hate for Vaan. His VO isn't the best and that "DON'T BELIEVE ONDORE'S LIES" part was cheesy, but other than that I haven't had a big problem with him.

Im pretty impressed with all of the characters in the game so far.

Tomat said:
First time playing FFXII, so no spoilers please, but so far I really don't completely understand the hate for Vaan. His VO isn't the best and that "DON'T BELIEVE ONDORE'S LIES" part was cheesy, but other than that I haven't had a big problem with him.

Most of the Vaan hate comes just from that render on this page. As a character he's actually not that bad.

Still no Baltheir though.

Boney

Banned
Dreamer RD said:
Stilzkin (FFIX)

fep0m8.jpg
That's from Crystal Chronicles though right?

Best characters: Sabin (FFVI), Kefka (FFVI), Cid (FFVII), Amarant (FFIX), Balthier (FFXII), Auron (FFX), Magus (Chrono Trigger)

Worst: Quina (FFIX), Vaan (FFXII), Hope (FFXIII)

I actually liked Snow in FFXIII, but I only got about five hours into it before giving up, so maybe he gets worse later.

Kunan

Clipse said:
Worst cast:
R9YII.jpg
Still had fun multiplayer, and I beat the game with my friend enough times to get everyone to S rank lol. The story was hilariously bad, in a so bad it's good way. It had me rolling with laughter.

Tomat said:

Final Fantasy fans aren't used to real men being in their beloved series.

They want more brooding, emo pretty boys.

Tomat said:

Because Vaan was a shoehorned focus tested fangirl-bait lead that serves no purpose in the story.

EDarkness

I just thought about one more Square character I really liked: Layle

layle-final-fantasy-crystal-bearers-wallpaper.jpg

It's a shame what they did to the game, but I thought the character was awesome.

Hated Belle, though. She could have died in a fire and no one would have cared.

I thought Zidane, Lockhe, Edgar, Delita and Zack were cool. Cloud and Sephiroth look cool, imo.

I never thought I could hate a character more than Squall until they made Vaan (SE please never hire his voice actor for anything ever again). Then they topped that by creating Lighting, who I swear if she ever became a real person, I would beat her ass into the ground. What a horrible character. She was way more out of control than the main guy from Front Mission 3 and that guy was a major ass hole. What the hell is wrong with them?

TheChaos

gatotsu911 said:
Almost forgot to mention Chu-Chu as one of the worst characters ever. Seriously, what the fuck.

I hate how she looks but I can't bring myself to hate her character. She made the final boss of that game a joke.

Balthier is definitely one of the best. Vivi is good, but I really like most of FF9 in general.

Worst could include the cast of FF13 (but I haven't finished it yet, so I can't totally judge). The FF spinoffs are full of shitty characters. Genesis in Crisis Core was terrible and his story killed 90% of the impact the ending of CC should have had.

Talon

Balthier is the best of the last decade or so. I actually like Zidane as well. Steiner also.

Squall is the whiniest asshole of all time. Zach Fair is terrible as well.

FFIX and FFXII have the best cast of characters of the post-SNES FFs.

As much as I liked playing The World Is Not Enough, I don't have too many positive things to say about the characters. Joshua's basically just mysterious teammate who must be more #5000.

Zekes!

EDarkness said:

layle-final-fantasy-crystal-bearers-wallpaper.jpg

It's a shame what they did to the game, but I thought the character was awesome.

Layle is pretty boss. Maybe one day we'll get a sequel (LOL YEAH RIGHT)

Special J

Banned
I like every character even the "bad" ones since they actually make other characters better because of their juxtaposition. its why ffversus13 comes off kind of emo because there isnt enough variety to the characters.

not the most interesting character but i loved her design
cQrnB.jpg

the cast of saga frontier one of my favorite games
fqmk9.jpg

ctrayne

Obvious Best: Balthier, Balthier, Balthier. Also, Cecil (FF4) is a great early archetype.
Less Obvious Best: Walter Feng (Front Mission 5) The game follows his life and career from a boy to his latter years, the wars he participates in, how these wars change him, and the people who come and go from his life. Go play the translation patch NOW. Not only is it a wonderful game, but it has an incredible war story to tell. Play it if you think all Japanese games suck - it might change your mind. Also play it if you like the Ace Combat series. It's understated in comparison, but has a massive scope with a tale to tell that spans decades. Both in looks and story it is the opposite of almost everything to come from Square. Has nothing to do with FM Evolved (which is fun but shallow.)

Worst: Forgive me, but everything from Kingdom Hearts. Seems like a great game for kids or Disney fans, but I found little depth to it. Maybe I just didn't want to like it since I don't like the character and world design.

Have not played FF13 so I can't comment on that.

EDIT: Design-wise, Vaan is the worst.

EDarkness

Zekes! said:
Layle is pretty boss. Maybe one day we'll get a sequel (LOL YEAH RIGHT)

I'd love to see them take Layle and do something great with him. He shouldn't have been in a game like Crystal Bearers. A more traditional action RPG would have been awesome. Here's hoping they attempt it next generation.

Anteater

I don't really have a favorite character, there were quite a few good ones, but the worst character is probably Rikku, I remember she has little dialogues, other than some background story, I don't think they took the time to write her character at all.

Also Zell I think? Pretty much a joke character, the cast (that's in your party) in FF8 outside of Squall and Rinoa were pretty shallow if I remember correctly, but it's been a while since I played those games. One thing I don't like with some of the FF games is that outside of the 2 lead characters, sometimes it feels like the rest of the cast take a backseat or don't have a clue on what's going on once the focus quickly shift to the 2 lovers.

I don't have a problem with FF13's cast, even though it being one of my least favorite games, I just thought the whole "human drama" were badly executed. I understand what they were trying to do with the characters, but the villains, side characters were terrible.

Droplet

I think the idea behind the characters of FFXIII was pretty good. Everyone seemed like they were supposed to be the opposite of the stereotype they were given, ie Snow acting like a hero
but it all being an act
, Hope wanting revenge
and actually acting on it
, Vanille being genki girl
but used that to manipulate other people into doing things for her.

Unfortunately the writing was so terrible that by the time we actually got to this it gets glossed over and everyone becomes the same character by the end.

Worst:

The cast from the new FF3. They went all the way and gave them character designs and names, was it so hard to give them some personalities?

Kandinsky

EDarkness said:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Shibaru/layle-final-fantasy-crystal-bearers-wallpaper.jpg

Layle was the only good thing about that game, i will never forget SE for ruining my beloved franchise, Kawazu/Itahana can go to hell too.

Best:
header_265_dragon_quest_iv_chapters_of_the_chosen.jpg

I really love the DQIV cast.

Worst:
kingdom_hearts8_1024x768_3_602x381.jpg

I really appreciate games with good stories and awesome cast which this series lacks.

Mxrz

I like Vaan. He dealt with his emotional baggage and moved on. Fuck the haters, that vest rocks.

Best is too hard to pick. Worst would probably be Cloud and all the other creepy-as-fuck CGI prettyboy types they've made over the years. Goddamn evil soul stealing doll things.

Man, forgot how cool FFVII's art was. Everything he did after was so sterile.

Locke is my favorite character. I like Frog a lot too.

Enix side, I like Taloon, and most of the cast of DQIV a lot.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Am I the only person in the whole wide world who actually kind of like Hope? Hahaha.

But I also like Cloud, Squall, Zidane, Tidus... even the usually hated characters like Vanille, Lightning, or Vaan I can tolerate.

Maybe I just have high tolerance in my taste... although I guess some would also call me a person with no taste at all, hahahaha.

If I have to pick one, though, maybe Yangus from DQ VIII. No complicated background, no personal grudge, no dark stories--simple, straightforward, but strong and loyal character. No fuss required.

As to the most dislike, throw the entire Kingdom Hearts characters from the Square side to this. Sora, Organization XIII.....clusterfuck.

Ravage

Best: The guy in my avatar
Worst: all of FF12 cast minus Balthier and Ashe, Vanille , Seymour

I like most of modern FF character designs actually.

Momo

Banned
Ravage said:
Best: The guy in my avatar
Worst: all of FF12 cast minus Balthier and Ashe, Vanille , Seymour

I like most of modern FF character designs actually.
Just a question, how many Final Fantasies have you played? I'm curious as to how you came to your choices.

Diablos

No, Vaan is a shitty character who brings nothing to the story and would have been better off not in the game. At all.

S-E was clearly cashing in on the metrosexual marketing craze and it didn't do a damn thing for them. He ruined a plot that despite its many flaws would have been better without him.

Ravage

Momo said:
Just a question, how many Final Fantasies have you played? I'm curious as to how you came to your choices.

Aside from FF 1-3, i've played every single one. When i say modern, i'm referring to those that came after FF7.

I'm obviously a fan of Nomura's design but i like Itahana's work in FF9 too. Balthier is a brilliant character and i love Ashe's design. The same cannot be said for the rest of FF12 cast i.e. Vaan, Penelo, Basch , urg~ >.<

edit: oh god i forgot about Edge Maverick of SO4. He has to be the single worst character ever conceived in gaming history - personality,actions,design,everything

Tomat

Diablos said:
No, Vaan is a shitty character who brings nothing to the story and would have been better off not in the game. At all.

S-E was clearly cashing in on the metrosexual marketing craze and it didn't do a damn thing for them. He ruined a plot that despite its many flaws would have been better without him.

I still have yet to see how he's ruined the game at all so far, but maybe I'm not far enough in. (again, no spoilers please)

Ravage

Tomat said:
I still have yet to see how he's ruined the game at all so far, but maybe I'm not far enough in. (again, no spoilers please)

If you can tolerate Vaan's character design, there's really nothing wrong with him. Don't worry about it and enjoy the game, FF12 is fantastic :)

Tomat

Ravage said:
If you can tolerate Vaan's character design, there's really nothing wrong with him. Don't worry about it and enjoy the game, FF12 is fantastic :)

Aye aye.

Raonak

Banned
favs are squall[VIII], fang[XIII], auron[X], zack[VII]

don't really have worsts, I do dislike cloud a bit, mainly because he has no personality until the last disk, even then he doesn't really do much.

Pietepiet

EDarkness said:

Yes! Layle is my favourite of the Final Fantasy heroes. Really loved the game too, though. It requires a different mindset to enjoy than other RPGs. It's more about exploring the world and finding all the cool little details they've stuffed the game with and all the reactions when you use your powers on certain things, not so much about the story or the combat.

Top Bottom