• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Characters: Best and Worst

silly post time

best: anyone who is a white mage, even if you just job change into it. i have not seen a whm outfit i didn't like. and they're good enough to make up for whatever sucks about that person

worst: i'm good but i'm so bad. vincent, auron (sorry op), uh that's all i can think of

Giolon

Qwomo said:
Literally the worst character name in a video game ever:

Lightning

Spoiler:
You realize that's not her real name right?

Worse than a boy named Hope? Really?

Skilletor

Fimbulvetr said:
He said characters, not character designs.

Seymour looking like a dunce is just a bonus.

But OP spends a lot of time talking about how both Auron and Seymour look. :)

Balthier or Delita would get my vote for best SE character. They both look pretty cool, too.

To be honest, I've never seen a Square-Enix character that I don't like in one way or another (both design and personality). Perhaps I am too loving.

Except for Hope, his voice and incessant whining kinda grated on me. Then again, I'd be pretty bitchy too if I was in the same situation. -_-

Vamphuntr

Giolon said:
Spoiler:
You realize that's not her real name right?

Worse than a boy named Hope? Really?

In the Japanese version her name was Éclair, no? That's the same thing but in French.

Captain_Spanky said:
SydneyLosstarot.jpg

I've got to go to sleep, but I'll type up why in the morning. Needless to say he's a very interesting and complex character in a game that's full of them.

This, OMG this. How could I forget.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'ma defend Vaan, I think he gets shit on for his design and the false belief that he's no different than Tidus or Squall, he's nothing like either of them. Really if Balthier and Fran are Han and Chewie, Vaan and Penelo are R2 and 3PO

The worst ever FF character, and perhaps the worst video game character ever.

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sazh-character-art-from-final-fantasy-13pg[/IG]

May as well be this....

[IMG]http://www.antiquiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/ffc2-468x351.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Best: Aya Brea

Worst: The entire Kingdom Hearts universe, and yes that includes you Disney.

Shapingo

one of the worst.

Is he wearing long johns with belts and shoulder pads? To use the bathroom he has to zipper from his chest all the way down.
Nooj.jpg

kokujin

Banned
There aren't too many characters I like in Square games, but I really liked Emma from Last Remnant.

tlr-emma-honeywell2.jpg

Another character I liked was Yangus, he was just so cool, to be fair almost everyone in that game was pretty awesome.

Dq8_Yangus.png

Best
DQVIII's cast, Definitely not the most original, but definitely one of the better executed casts.

Worst
FFVIII's cast, everyone's pretty much thrown aside to make room for half-assed romance.

zkylon

zkylewd
Skilletor said:
Technically, Tri-Ace designed the Valkyrie Profile characters.

Some of my faves:
delita-ramza.jpg

Delita and Ramza from Final Fantasy Tactics. I like so many other characters from that game, but those two are my favorites.

Citan.jpg

My favorite character in Xenogears. Xenogears had an amazing cast: Fei, Citan, Elly, Billy, Bart...

Picking the best is kind of fun because there are just enough good characters to make it tough.

Best: Lenneth (VP), Marle (CT), Robo (CT), and Yangus (DQVIII).

The worst, on the other hand, kind of reminds me of that line from Anna Karenina about unhappy families: bad Square-Enix characters are bad in so many different ways that it's hard to narrow the field. There's mildly offensive (Barrett), there's whiny and annoying (Tidus), and there's just, plain dull (Amarant).

Worst: Riku (KH), Sora (KH), Ansem/Xenahort/Xenahort's Heartless/I can't be bothered to keep it straight (KH), Barrett (FFVII)

johnsmith

remember me
David Lo Pan said:

May as well be this....

ffc2-468x351.jpg

Why? Because he has an afro? That's about the only "stereotypical" thing about him, and you know what? Some people of African descent do have that hairdo in real life. I don't see the problem.

Massive step up from
sOHyN.jpg

Grisby

Aeana said:
Gadot is awesome.

Is he the least offensively dressed one? The guy who kinda looks like he could be a Wakka stand-in? Yeah, he wasn't so bad I guess.

The other two though.

I find it hard to believe you hate Sazh unless you didn't actually play through FFXIII. He ends up being one of the more developed and interesting characters. He had an afro, but the guy wasn't a walking stereotype, he was very real. Plus he had a chocobo roosting in his hair - how can you hate that?!

highluxury said:
Kuja had a super shallow personality and pretty unjustified motive. I never understood his character.

Kuja is pretty much distilled vanity.

He's so smug that he believes he's actually invincible, and his worldview is completely shattered when finally trying to contemplate the idea that he will eventually die like all of the others he looked down on.

He works as a foil to both Zidane and Vivi.

Zidane is similarly overconfident and Zidane was even suposed to be Kuja's replacement, but values the people around him rather than constantly trying to put himself above them.

Like Vivi, Kuja is an artificial life created and regarded as a tool. They both have an existential crisis when contemplating their deaths, but Vivi was fortunate enough to have friends to guide him through his navel gazing. What's weird is I don't even remember them having any dialogue together.

I'm not too keen on the ending where Kuja's all "I understand the meaning of existence now, also I'm suddenly a good guy. *dies*".

kokujin

Banned
Shapingo said:
one of the worst.

Is he wearing long johns with belts and shoulder pads? To use the bathroom he has to zipper from his chest all the way down.
Nooj.jpg
What in god's name.Please tell me he at least had a good story.

Beth Cyra

David Lo Pan said:

sazh-character-art-from-final-fantasy-13-big.jpg

May as well be this....

ffc2-468x351.jpg
What because he had a fro and the Baby Chocobo? The man was a loving and dedicated father who didn't want to hurt anyone and was just their to protect his son and was an overall great character.

Either this isn't even close to what you are saying.

Best: Cloud Strife, Lenneth Valkyrie and Rinoa

Worst: Selephie, Waka, Cait Sith, Yuffie, Space Pope.

Thing is I actually like Marluxia, Squall and Lightning so I am the weird guy.

It's impossible to pick my favorite from Final Fantasy Series.... so I will pick one from all the others of SE games and that would be:

g02.jpg

"Mint" from Threads of Fate..... so freaking adorable and funny and mean <3

The worse, hmmmm... this will take a while :p

Serious entry for the best:

FFXI - Prishe

fgVt3.png

After playing through the Chains of Promathia and the Abyssea storyline, she quickly shot up to number one.

EVerything pre-2003 is NOT a Square Enix character, guys. Squaresoft and Square Enix may as well be totally different entities at this point.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I remember there was a big debate about Sazh in FFXIII and if he should be viewed as racist. Most that did saw the Afro and the smile and assumed he was some Jive Soul Bro (wrestle-gaf) that exhibited the worst cliches you could think, but they never played the game. Those that had actually played the game, knew his character wasn't anything like that at all

Arsenic Yellow said:
Best:
This crazy stalker
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/gamer_megami/vp-lezard2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNJzIVgtyAc"]KNEEL DOWN BEFORE ME![/URL]

[spoiler]I'd post his other laugh but that's spoilers.[/spoiler]

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Best: Aya Brea

325610-pe_aya_brea7_super.jpg

Worst: Oerba Dia Vanille

Oerba-Dia-Vanille-3.jpg

Fimbulvetr said:
Kuja is pretty much distilled vanity.

He's so smug that he believes he's actually invincible, and his worldview is completely shattered when finally trying to contemplate the idea that he will eventually die like all of the others he looked down on.

He works as a foil to both Zidane and Vivi.

Zidane is similarly overconfident and Zidane was even suposed to be Kuja's replacement, but values the people around him rather than constantly trying to put himself above them.

Like Vivi, Kuja is an artificial life created and regarded as a tool. They both have an existential crisis when contemplating their deaths, but Vivi was fortunate enough to have friends to guide him through his navel gazing. What's weird is I don't even remember them having any dialogue together.

I'm not too keen on the ending where Kuja's all "I understand the meaning of existence now, also I'm suddenly a good guy. *dies*".

lol thanks for summary.

Also another nominee for best character:

xenogears-8.png

kokujin

Banned
.JayZii said:
There are no good Square character designs after Final Fantasy 1.
Am I doing it right?
I can see your point.Just look back at Garland, that guy was so awesome, his fighting stance was the coolest.

Top Bottom