• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix commits to PSN Game Archives..... starting TODAY (Japan)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Redd said:
No. I don't want the PS1 ports. Have you played those.........ugh.

they only sucked because they were streaming off a CD

you realize a downloadable version would have to run faster since its going off of a hard drive, right?

zoku88

davepoobond said:
what makes you think they'd use the US version and retranslate it when they have a perfectly translated PSP game already ready?
Did they retranslate it? I always just assumed that they used the translation they already had. Anyway, I never suggested thats what they would do, just saying that the PSP version wasn't 'perfectly fine.'
Attack You said:
Just to be clear: we still have to go through the process of setting up an acct. on the Jpn. PSN and I'm gonna have to go track down a step-by-step on how to do that, huh...
I think IGN made a guide...

davepoobond

zoku88 said:
Did they retranslate it? I always just assumed that they used the translation they already had. Anyway, I never suggested thats what they would do, just saying that the PSP version wasn't 'perfectly fine.'

well they did something different, because they sure as heck didn't use the US version to port the game to the PSP.

I'm pretty sure they added new voices and stuff, but i'm not 100% certain.

and the PSP version IS perfectly fine. the only thing that really mattered that wasn't in the game was switching characters by pressing r1/l1

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
davepoobond said:

you realize a downloadable version would have to run faster since its going off of a hard drive, right?

A downloadable version wont take out the random battles in Xenogears

>_<

Ponn

Banned
EINHANDER!

XENOGEARS!

*Shits Brick*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Fucking Japan only! Damn you Square, I feel like a domesticly abused wife sometimes coming back for more. Why don't you want my American money Square, why?

Redd

Ponn01 said:
EINHANDER!

XENOGEARS!

*Shits Brick*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Fucking Japan only! Damn you Square, I feel like a domesticly abused wife sometimes coming back for more. Why don't you want my American money Square, why?

If only I could read Japanese. Then I could be like many here and just create a Japan account.

MrDaravon

Kagari said:
They were ported to PS1, so I guess they want the PS1 ports?

Oh that's right, I totallly forgot about the the FF4-6 and CT ports. FF4-6 have been made more or less obsolete with more recent re-releases, but I'd pick up CT. I thought I saw someone say SoM though, which is more what I was referring to, but hey.

davepoobond

Hcoregamer00 said:
A downloadable version wont take out the random battles in Xenogears

>_<

dude, random battles were cool back then. y'gotta appreciate it for what it is!

Ponn

Banned
Redd said:
If only I could read Japanese. Then I could be like many here and just create a Japan account.

Exactly, but I tried and just can't learn Japanese. Einhander would be no biggie but fucking Xenogears is out the window.

SailorDaravon said:
Oh that's right, I totallly forgot about the the FF4-6 and CT ports. FF4-6 have been made more or less obsolete with more recent re-releases, but I'd pick up CT. I thought I saw someone say SoM though, which is more what I was referring to, but hey.

obsolete my ass. i enjoy playing the way it was without all these nonsense remakes.

davepoobond said:

kids don't appreciate old fashion random grinding. leave it to the old RPGers.

Hcoregamer00

davepoobond said:

Yeah, but they should remove it for a port.

That's right, I am telling SE to release something they rarely do, an "enhanced port." It takes time and a little bit of cash, but it is possible.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, but they should remove it for a port.

That's right, I am telling SE to release something they rarely do, an "enhanced port." It takes time and a little bit of cash, but it is possible.
Do you not like random battles in general or is it something Xenogears specific?

Hcoregamer00

zoku88 said:
Do you not like random battles in general or is it something Xenogears specific?

No, it is just lately random battles have gone out of favor with me, it really stuck out in Crisis Core.

I was spoiled by Xenosaga, Star Ocean, Tales of Symphonia, and Tales of the Abyss.

"Edit: The following titles are coming out TODAY, at 600yen each. They're all under the S-E label.

Xenogears (Square)
Einhander (Square)
Astronoka (Enix)
Rakugaki Showtime (Enix)
Raystorm (Taito)
Fighters Impact (Taito)"

Wait...wait...what?

*single tear drops from eye*

*turns on PS3*

Dragon

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
No, it is just lately random battles have gone out of favor with me, it really stuck out in Crisis Core.

I was spoiled by Xenosaga, Star Ocean, Tales of Symphonia, and Tales of the Abyss.

Yeah I gave up on Lost Odyssey and started Xenosaga III, oh man how I love the battle system and how it's all set up (except for basically not playing for the first four hours of the game :p).

Hcoregamer00

Blu_LED said:
Will FF7 ever come?

Yeah, we got it in the form of Crisis Core.

Damn you Japan!!!

TheBranca18 said:
Yeah I gave up on Lost Odyssey and started Xenosaga III, oh man how I love the battle system and how it's all set up (except for basically not playing for the first four hours of the game :p).

Xenosaga 3 was the best game in the series.

If the first two games had the better storytelling (no more 1 hour cutscenes) and the better pacing, then it would have been a classic series.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
davepoobond said:

You'd think, but wouldn't that also be the case for PS1 games ripped and playing on the PSP? 'cause it certainly isn't for some like Persona.

MrDaravon

ChaoticBlue said:
obsolete my ass. i enjoy playing the way it was without all these nonsense remakes.

kids don't appreciate old fashion random grinding. leave it to the old RPGers.

You could potentially make an argument for FF4, and possibly FF6 (music), but there's practically no way you could take the PS1 port of FFV over FFVA. And these are some of my favorite games ever and I've played them all when they first came out. The last part of your quote tells me it's going to be pointless arguing this with you though :p.

zoku88

davepoobond said:
well they did something different, because they sure as heck didn't use the US version to port the game to the PSP.

I'm pretty sure they added new voices and stuff, but i'm not 100% certain.

and the PSP version IS perfectly fine. the only thing that really mattered that wasn't in the game was switching characters by pressing r1/l1
Here's a list of differences between the US and JPN version, courtesy of GameFAQs

You cannot sort items.
Only your active party can change equipment.
If you switch Valkyrie from bow to sword or vice-versa, all her skills will
unequip themselves. This could cause you a problem during the A ending, when
she automatically gets a sword.
Some enemies like Barbarossa do not cast their Great Magics. So they will be
quite a bit easier on this version.
The truth is that I only really care about the first one (and kinda the 2nd one.) Not being able to item sort really gets to me...

The voice actors were the same except for the CGI scenes (which weren't in the original version, thus needed new voice acting,) so I'm guessing they just ported the old translation and the spoken dialogue to the PSP version.

FF7 will come. it was co-published by scea. don't know why it took so long. i broke my copy 10 years ago, that's when most of you were kids. i would like to play it again.

Ponn

Banned
Alright, seriously. GAF has too many media connections posting on these boards. We need some info on these being released in the U.S. (oh alright, EUR too) PSN stores and we need info STAT.

KurowaSan

20f903.jpg

Einhander get :D . I'd love to buy Xenogears, but not in japanese :(

ChaoticBlue said:
FF7 will come. it was co-published by scea. don't know why it took so long. i broke my copy 10 years ago, that's when most of you were kids. i would like to play it again.
Same here. I didn't know it was co-published by SCEA. Get that shit up there now. Its will sell another million copies.

One really has to wonder why Sony is so apathetic towards North America and Europe when it comes to PSOne releases on PSN. I'm pretty sure it isn't terribly expensive or difficult to do. It's raw code, for god's sake.

Hcoregamer00

Blu_LED said:
Same here. I didn't know it was co-published by SCEA. Get that shit up there now. Its will sell another million copies.

I would buy it if they made the game look nicer on an HDTV. At least make it sharper so that there are less jaggies.

Hcoregamer00 said:
I would buy it if they made the game look nicer on an HDTV. At least make it sharper so that there are less jaggies.
It would look the same as a disc on a PS3. The PS3 would upscale, but SCEA or SE is not going to touch the code at all.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I wonder if Chrono Trigger will come to the PSN before the Virtual Console.

sphinx

the piano man
not sure if it was posted already but this is pretty much a big middle finger followed by a "fuck you" to nintendo and their VC on Wii.
( 360 lol, all right)

Hcoregamer00

Blu_LED said:
It would look the same as a disc on a PS3. The PS3 would upscale, but SCEA or SE is not going to touch the code at all.

EWW, then a purchase is not worth it if my PSX game is working perfectly.

disappeared said:
One really has to wonder why Sony is so apathetic towards North America and Europe when it comes to PSOne releases on PSN. I'm pretty sure it isn't terribly expensive or difficult to do. It's raw code, for god's sake.

Probably because we bootleg everything.

Jonnyram

sphinx said:
not sure if it was posted already but this is pretty much a big middle finger followed by a "fuck you" to nintendo and their VC on Wii.
( 360 lol, all right)
It's not though. They're releasing games they don't give a shit about and will never remake on Wii's VC too :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
disappeared said:
It's the responsibility of the rights holder, first and foremost.

Top Bottom