• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix issuing field destroy credit to retailers for Final Fantasy XIV inventory

Lothars

Bah, I was going to buy FF14 vanilla for 11 and shipping but I guess it will not be valid eh?

I won't bite on A Realm Reborn for 30 and then pay a sub fee. Not at this time.
yeah it's still valid, it's the exact same game in that the cdkey will work for A Realm Reborn.

Bah, I was going to buy FF14 vanilla for 11 and shipping but I guess it will not be valid eh?

I won't bite on A Realm Reborn for 30 and then pay a sub fee. Not at this time.

All of us who have copies of the original game and anyone else who grabs it will be able to play A Realm Reborn. We will probably have to download a new client, but we aren't locked out from the new game.

Aeana

what a disaster
I don't think this is indicative of a disaster, of all of the things that have happened with the game. SE is preparing to relaunch the game from scratch, it's definitely in its best interest to get rid of all of the old stuff so that only the new version is available in stores.

jmdajr

I don't think this is indicative of a disaster, of all of the things that have happened with the game. SE is preparing to relaunch the game from scratch, it's definitely in its best interest to get rid of all of the old stuff so that only the new version is available in stores.

I see now.

apana

No, the shop and its workers would be breaking corporate contracts. Getting caught would guarantee being fired, if not fined.

You have to physically destroy them too, when I worked at Gamestop a similar notice went out for DC Universe. We had to open and break game disc's and smash the collector edition statues.

Young Child: "Daddy what are you doing?"

Gamestop Manager/Dad: "Son...I...I...didn't want you to see this. This is something I have to do."

*Sounds of a chain saw grinding against a game disc permeate the small store.*

Esura

Banned
Amazon still got copies for the cheap. Should I jump on it? Or on FFXI?

Not sure if my laptop could run it though...

speaking on the relaunch any news on a date other than "fall/winter"?

The relaunch is definitely not happening this year, or any time soon. The beta should begin shortly (original timeframe was September and as far as I know that hasn't changed). As for the actual release of A Realm Reborn, it was originally Q1 and now they are saying that it will be in the first half of the year, definitely not Fall 2013.

The last thing they want to do is rush the last stages of development of this one, so I don't think there will be a firm date until the beta is well underway.

Young Child: "Daddy what are you doing?"

Gamestop Manager/Dad: "Son...I...I...didn't want you to see this. This is something I have to do."

*Sounds of a chain saw grinding against a game disc permeate the small store.*

I felt terrible smashing them, some sort of testament to our growing consumerism.

Aeana

The relaunch is definitely not happening this year, or any time soon. The beta should begin shortly (original timeframe was September and as far as I know that hasn't changed). As for the actual release of A Realm Reborn, it was originally Q1 and now they are saying that it will be in the first half of the year, definitely not Fall 2013.

The last thing they want to do is rush the last stages of development of this one, so I don't think there will be a firm date until the beta is well underway.
The roadmap has the PS3 beta test and 2.0 free trial period starting in November. Is that no longer correct?

Mandoric

Banned
Uh, why? Seriously, why give an order like this?

2.0's $30, so after you factor in return shipping it's basically SE swapping new boxart for old boxart straight-up.

And this way means 2.0 will actually show up in sales charts, and won't be subject to added butthurt when the game triples in price once 1.0 dead stock sells out.

The roadmap has the PS3 beta test and 2.0 free trial period starting in November. Is that no longer correct?

I think the original plan was to start the free trial period in November prior to launching in like, January or something. Once they started throwing around the idea of launching past Q1 at Gamescom though, I don't think that'll be the case anymore. He pretty much said something along the lines of "not as late as fall 2013, but not early in the year either, closer to the summer."

Kilrathi

Amazon still got copies for the cheap. Should I jump on it? Or on FFXI?

Not sure if my laptop could run it though...

I tried to going back to FF11 and couldn't its still very much like a MMO that designed in the EQ99 ruleset.
I want to try this new version of ff14 but i hope its not the same grind that was EQ99 any other game from that era because I do not have the time any more to play that kind of game any more

Akito

Maybe my CE, which I've bought for 5 bucks, will increase in value over time.
lol who am I kidding

RaffAO

Drop everything and buy every remaining copy you can. FFXIV is the next big thing. Word is in 2.0 you can adjust bust size.

so is FFXIV v2.0 getting a new logo?
I legitimately don't know. :/

Well, there's this:
final-fantasy-xv.jpg

And then there's this:
4211A_Realm_Reborn_White.JPG

Mandoric

Banned
I think the original plan was to start the free trial period in November prior to launching in like, January or something. Once they started throwing around the idea of launching past Q1 at Gamescom though, I don't think that'll be the case anymore. He pretty much said something along the lines of "not as late as fall 2013, but not early in the year either, closer to the summer."

Maybe they just don't want the bad PR of the last(?) packaged FF14 release coming before the last packaged FF11 release for the PS2.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Because those with the boxed editions now can get the game for a cheaper monthly rate than those buying it after the release..

zlatko

Banned
Got my CE copy sitting in the closet =/. Dam did I feel stupid for being on the FF14 hype train.

I left my copy back at my folks place when I was living with them. What a monstrosity that game box is, and it perfectly represented the game too. Looks awesome, but then when you look inside it's well...just an empty shell with only a small goody tucked in.

Luckily 2.0 looks to rectify everything, and hell the game in its current state is a damn big upgrade that is fun.

Just bought it for $12, even after pledging to never ever buy the game after playing the beta.

I hear it's actually playable now, at least.

Mikhal

Ugh. I just bought the Collector's Edition from Newegg for $20 after hearing this news... Sad part is that I don't think I'd even play the game. :(

cruets

I bought the collectors edition at launch for 75 bucks so feel free to laugh at me . Onion helm buyers remorse.

Chairhome

Because those with the boxed editions now can get the game for a cheaper monthly rate than those buying it after the release..

Isn't this false? Legacy status was only for those who had paid subs for a certain number of months prior to September, had nothing to do with the boxed copies, right?

Top Bottom