• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Major Loss, Cancels Games [Up: Funds Rebalancing]

It's kind of surreal how far Square has fallen. I only had a Genesis back in the day, but I knew my Phantasy Stars didn't compare at all to Square's SNES output. FFVII on PS1 essentially sealed the deal for me when, at the time, they were allied with an unproven hardware manufacturer. It's crazy. Back in the day, whoever had Square was who won the console war. Shit, for the longest time FFXIII was one of the sole reasons I justified my PS3 purchase. They've lost their way. If you can't develop a proper game in two to three years on consoles just stop. Just focus on handhelds then. That's what makes them money. There's no shame in that. Or realize no one gives a shit about CG scenes these days. If only they remembered why Final Fantasy was called Final.

zeroshiki

ivedoneyourmom said:
*Rolls eyes audibly* Yes, I am well aware that the 熟語 for Earth is 地球, I was making a joke. アース is the officially recognized 片仮名 version or the English word Earth.

*points to his profile.*

I'm sure you're an expert on Japanese culture and everything but no one uses アース. Your definition even has it used as soil with Earth being number 2.

Anyways, I'm not getting into this. Sorry to rain on your parade.

jackdoe said:
I really don't like this trend of Square-Enix's where they leave character development out of the actual product and have it as an online side story that you may or may not have read. Happened with FFXIII as well.
This isn't a new trend.

It's endemic to Japanese popular culture as a whole.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
zeroshiki said:
I'm sure you're an expert on Japanese culture and everything but no one uses アース. Your definition even has it used as soil with Earth being number 2.

Anyways, I'm not getting into this. Sorry to rain on your parade.
k... but this conversation was not about what Japanese call Earth... This was about how Japanese would render the English word Earth.

time to bail out people

zeroshiki

BocoDragon said:
k... but this conversation was not about what Japanese call Earth... This was about how Japanese would render the English word Earth.

time to bail out people

Yes and they would render it as Chikyuu not Aasu because they would use Chikyuu!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
zeroshiki said:
Yes and they would render it as Chikyuu not Aasu because they would use Chikyuu!
Not if they're Squaresoft and the whole point is to choose English words to name people because its sooo cool.

KtSlime

zeroshiki said:

Aerith/Aeris's new name is now officially Tikyuu.

Dude, it's a joke, Aasu sounds like ASS.

snailrocket.gif

Teknoman

Well onward and upward. Hopefully they'll be turning around XIV, recoop on that, and adhere to the tighter selection standards. Dont spread the focus so thin.

Teknoman

GillianSeed79 said:
It's kind of surreal how far Square has fallen. I only had a Genesis back in the day, but I knew my Phantasy Stars didn't compare at all to Square's SNES output. FFVII on PS1 essentially sealed the deal for me when, at the time, they were allied with an unproven hardware manufacturer. It's crazy. Back in the day, whoever had Square was who won the console war. Shit, for the longest time FFXIII was one of the sole reasons I justified my PS3 purchase. They've lost their way. If you can't develop a proper game in two to three years on consoles just stop. Just focus on handhelds then. That's what makes them money. There's no shame in that. Or realize no one gives a shit about CG scenes these days. If only they remembered why Final Fantasy was called Final.

They do now. And honestly, i'd take more in game cutscenes over CG. Maybe a nice CG opening scene and the rest in game.

May16

zeroshiki said:
BocoDragon said:
Not if they're Squaresoft and the whole point is to choose English words to name people because its sooo cool.
He's right.
71ZfMGwZtCL._AA1127_.jpg

(Link in case image hotlinking from Amazon doesn't work.)

Chikyuu is becoming Aasu, Ichigo is becoming Sutorooberi, and Ai is becoming rabu. Japanese is dying, yo.

Sinople

SlipperySlope said:
Yeah, it seems odd that they'd be able to cut almost 50% of their Japanese development between '09 and '10. That's when FF 13 came out, so they cut almost 50% of their Japanese staff when FF 13 came out... ??? Seems a bit excessive, no? Especially with them still developing 14, and maybe VS at the time?

That's what Wada did though...
Yoichi Wada said:
We also conducted a headcount adjustment to strengthen our fundamentals and energize the organization. Our over 350new graduate and mid-career hires were more than offset by a headcount reduction of over 800, resulting in a net decline of 457 employees.
http://www.square-enix.com/eng/ir/policy/message_4.html
And now he's wondering why they're struggling with development :/

zeroshiki said:

Yes, and FFVII main character is called Kumo. Wait... no he's not.

jaxword

Someone should write to Mark Zuckerberg and have him buy an S-E license with his billions, rebrand it as a facebook game and enjoy the massive influx of new players.

It's win-win for both sides.

DryvBy

Is this a real lose, or what in the business world they call a "loss"? For example, analyst predicted they'd make $1 billion, but they only made $900 million.

Sucks if it's an actual lose, but maybe that will inspire creativity.

Michan

DryvBy2 said:
Is this a real lose, or what in the business world they call a "loss"? For example, analyst predicted they'd make $1 billion, but they only made $900 million.

Sucks if it's an actual lose, but maybe that will inspire creativity.
Loss = their costs (such as salaries, shipping, and donuts) were higher than the amount they received into their bank account.

If an analyst predicts they make a billion and they don't, then the analyst is simply a stupidhead.

If the board predicts revenue of $x and they make revenue of $x-y, then somebody has some talking to do.

ZoddGutts

Rahxephon91 said:
I know right? LoL indeed. How can a company that made the great FFXIII be in such bad shape. It's hard to digest really.

Not that hard, considering, it's the worst rated main line FF game. :p

Until FF XIV came out.

Amir0x said:
Nice. Eidos has really been impressing me lately.

Great news indeed. If this means less games coming out from Enix and more games/projects coming out from Eidos, I'm all for it.

Top Bottom