• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Montreal's next-gen Hitman title confirmed cancelled (IO still on Hitman)

Horns

The Hitman series has always been just OK to me. I've tried numerous times to get into the games. Despite the obvious quality, I never made it past the first few levels in any of them.

lefantome

I wonder how much did they earn with Deus Ex on ios and if they mobile market can substain the entire Square as it is now.

You can make some profit with FFX and other crappy mobile games but I doubt you can found a big company releasing tons of mobile games every year.

Awful. Absolution was still decent even if it didn't come anywhere close to Blood Money. Does this mean they're going to make Deus-Ex strictly mobile? Terrible.

They've announced a new console/PC Deus Ex last year, so we're at least getting one more of those. But there will without doubt also be a new mobile game.

SentryDown

What a terrible idea. Hitman has quite always been my favorite franchise, even if I was a bit disappointed of the new approach in Absolution.

Also, if I remember well, Absolution is the most sold in the serie, this decision makes no sense,

Sojgat

How is the new Hitman game? I haven't played it yet.

Good game, just not a good Hitman Game. A number of very frustrating design decisions all work together to try and ruin the entire thing:

- Using a checkpoint respawns all enemies when you reload, making experimentation a pain.
- The disguise system is far too sensitive, verging on broken, making experimentation a pain.
- Can't choose loadouts during the story campaign.
- Most levels are sectioned off into smaller areas, through which you can't backtrack.
- Purist difficulty strips out mechanics the game was designed around, making it pretty unenjoyable if not broken.

Played it on 360 and enjoyed it enough to get all the achievements, but again, it's probably the worst Hitman game after the original.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Absolution failed at being a Hitman game by putting franchise defining puzzle-like disguising and stage exploration at a distant second to traditional Splinter Cell-like stealth, take down and combat systems, and an overhauled disguise system that limited application and scope (and doesn't even make sense, realistically). I don't think Absolution is necessarily a bad stealth game, if you're happy to take it as an action/stealth title more like Splinter Cell, but it's an absolutely miserable Hitman game due to several design decisions aggressively dismantling and hindering traditional and important components.

But the game is surprisingly huge, has impressive production, and probably cost a quid, so I can see why Square-Enix expected much more from the launch given its streamlined approach among other things (even considering the publisher's history of unreasonable sales expectations).

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Montreal's Hitman cancellation reforged into some iOS based Hitman crap to launch alongside IO's next crack at the blockbuster Hitman. Not sure if, under pressure from Square-Enix, they'll continue down the current accessibility path, or be encouraged to win back Hitman fans with maybe a smaller scoped game. Then again, if I'm remembering correctly, the rumour is that the next game is based heavily around Absolution's Contracts mode with plenty of social stuff.

I figure if the next one tanks Square-Enix will just say fuck it to the franchise.

Jb

it's really fun as long as you don't treat it like a hitman sequel.

...and if you have low standards for what a stealth game should achieve. As others have pointed out in the thread, it's got huge design issues and the level design varies between uninspired and claustrophobic. Plus the whole narrative is terrible, even by Hitman standards.

bcYU8Dh.jpg

Only if I can pay mini-47 to put the hit on Littlest Pet Shop, and Simpson's Tapped Out.

All and all very depressing news but not unexpected. It wouldn't be so bad if mobile ment 3DS and vita too but touch screen phone games as very limited.

I guess hitman becomes another franchise that will be forgotten and ruined by its owner.

the only hope is a team that loved the original games picks up the concepts in an original title styled after the originals some years down the road.

the game industry is such a weird place recently. So many decision makers think iOS is a magic fix for beloved franchises that can't hit call of duty/ assassins creed numbers. Why is that?

SparkTR

I guess hitman becomes another franchise that will be forgotten and ruined by its owner.

the only hope is a team that loved the original games picks up the concepts in an original title styled after the originals some years down the road.

That already happened, Death to Spies is like Hitman but more in-depth.

Azih

This happened after someone told Square Enix that their expectation of 1.5 billion sales was not realistic.

Has there been any single case of a publisher taking a long running (lets say 10 years minimum) beloved franchise with an active fanbase on PC/Console and having greater success moving it to mobile?

Has this ever happened? As far as I can think of, no. I'm not sure how the Ace Attorney ports did on iOS but i never have seen them in the top rankings for games in the app store. And that's for a franchise that makes 100% sense on a mobile touch only device as its mainly a text based game.

It just seems so insane that this is still such a common idea in the industry - when you have an active fanbase that knows and likes your game, pulling it away from them and putting it on a completely incompatible device where totally different games thrive and succeed. Why does this still happen?

ehhh its also a pretty bad stealth game too.

it is kinda fun playing it as an action game though. killing people with random crap is weirdly satisfying.

Has there been any single case of a publisher taking a long running (lets say 10 years minimum) beloved franchise with an active fanbase on PC/Console and having greater success moving it to mobile?

Has this ever happened? As far as I can think of, no. I'm not sure how the Ace Attorney ports did on iOS but i never have seen them in the top rankings for games in the app store. And that's for a franchise that makes 100% sense on a mobile touch only device as its mainly a text based game.

It just seems so insane that this is still such a common idea in the industry - when you have an active fanbase that knows and likes your game, pulling it away from them and putting it on a completely incompatible device where totally different games thrive and succeed. Why does this still happen?

IO are still making their next Hitman game though, so they didn't move the franchise to mobile, they expanded it to it. This was supposed to be spin off game not starring Agent 47 as far as I remember.

But I agree that Hitman does not fit at all the mobile experience. Who the hell wants to play a mobile Hitman game???

numble

How much does it cost to develop a console game? What is the potential audience size given past sales?

How much does it cost to develop a mobile game? What is the potential audience size?

Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts sold 2.5 million in 2 years on the DS, but Scribblenauts Remix has over 4 million sales on mobile after 2 years, and it has stayed consistently in the top 100 paid rankings for the past 2 years.

Goli

That's because Ace Attourney isn't really a very popular series, but SE has huge success on iOS (and the other mobile platforms as well, it seems). In most bigger iOS markets besides Japan their games usually reach high spots on the sale charts on release and subsequently they get small boosts on sales. For the western market in particular Deus Ex The Fall has been one of their biggest sellers so far IIRC, however, in Japan is where SE really dominates
Look at the current top 10 best selling paid games in Japan:
B4Bu0o8.png

Since its release in 12/12 DQVIII had been the best selling game despite its 2800 JPY (around 27 USD) price, and it was only now taken off the first spot by Final Fantasy V (because of SE's holiday sale), though FFV itself had also held the best selling app top spot for a while at the time of its release last year. Nearly all of their other releases have the same phenomenon as FFV where they get released and hold the top spot for a while, then they drop off a bit in the charts (while still being around the top 100) with huge boosts during sales. That's why they're focusing on mobiles, I think. They want to have the same success they have in Japan with games like FFV, or FFT in the west with games like Deus Ex The Fall or a mobile Hitman title.

Thorgal

Hitman Absolution wasn't even a Hitman game.

You could go terminator through each level killing everyone and its the exact same outcome if you had of done it stealthy and it doesn't matter shit.

How is that any different from Blood money though ?
In blood money you could just as easily go Rambo and shoot everyone .

Hell this guy made even a series out of it .

How not to play Hitman (recommend you give it a watch )

Sure .your end score will be atrocious but you do not Get a game over in Blood money for going terminator on everyone.
Same for Absolution .

The game might have some design flaws but shooting everyone without repercussions is not one of them .

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is this the same S-E Montreal that was led by the guy who resigned and told the press what a bad environment is had become? Even if it isn't, the future of "Eidos" ain't as bright as I thought it might be.

Foffy

Banned
Are they moving the whole Hitman franchise to mobile? I know IO Interactive is very likely working on a new Hitman game...watch it be some dumb thing. :(

How fucking hard is it to look at the second, third, and fourth games and try to ape that formula?

Bedlam

"Mobile" and "microtransactions" strike again. I hope these companies which shift their focus on that stuff will crash and burn because of it. People might eventually learn that it is utter garbage; just as they learned it with Zynga/Facebook games.

Are they moving the whole Hitman franchise to mobile? I know IO Interactive is very likely working on a new Hitman game...watch it be some dumb thing. :(

How fucking hard is it to look at the second, third, and fourth games and try to ape that formula?

IOI is working on a traditional Hitman game, Montreal is now mobile only.

Absolution was probably the worst game I've ever attempted to play. I can't say I had much hope for another entry in the series. Too bad though, but maybe for the best that the main series is on hold.

So, IO's still making another Hitman title, yeah? That's what I got out of this.

I'd rather see another Kane & Lynch title. I think the third time would be the charm at they'd really nail the potential. KL2 was a diamond in the rough.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's because Ace Attourney isn't really a very popular series, but SE has huge success on iOS (and the other mobile platforms as well, it seems). In most bigger iOS markets besides Japan their games usually reach high spots on the sale charts on release and subsequently they get small boosts on sales. For the western market in particular Deus Ex The Fall has been one of their biggest sellers so far IIRC, however, in Japan is where SE really dominates
Look at the current top 10 best selling paid games in Japan:
B4Bu0o8.png

Since its release in 12/12 DQVIII had been the best selling game despite its 2800 JPY (around 27 USD) price, and it was only now taken off the first spot by Final Fantasy V (because of SE's holiday sale), though FFV itself had also held the best selling app top spot for a while at the time of its release last year. Nearly all of their other releases have the same phenomenon as FFV where they get released and hold the top spot for a while, then they drop off a bit in the charts (while still being around the top 100) with huge boosts during sales. That's why they're focusing on mobiles, I think. They want to have the same success they have in Japan with games like FFV, or FFT in the west with games like Deus Ex The Fall or a mobile Hitman title.

Do you mind if I copy this into a new thread? It's actually quite interesting and something we don't get to see often.

Goli

Do you mind if I copy this into a new thread? It's actually quite interesting and something we don't get to see often.

Yeah, why not?
I had actually contemplated making a thread with something like that some time ago to demonstrate SE's success on mobile platforms in Japan but I didn't since I thought it'd require too much effort for something that would ultimately be filled with the usual comments regarding SE and mobile games, and it probably wasn't worth the effort since I could just spend that time doing something else, but since this was just a reply and not an opening post, go ahead.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, why not?
I had actually contemplated making a thread with something like that some time ago to demonstrate SE's success on mobile platforms in Japan but I didn't since I thought it'd require too much effort for something that would ultimately be filled with the usual comments regarding SE and mobile games, and it probably wasn't worth the effort since I could just spend that time doing something else, but since this was just a reply and not an opening post, go ahead.

Thanks.

Kitty

Banned
Absolution was a very funny game imho, and no, Hitman has not been cancelled, IO are working on a new AAA Next-Gen Hitman.

Udq5cP1.png

Fuck you, Square Enix. Absolution may have been underwhelming IMO, but Hitman was still one of the best stealth series around. So much potential on next-gen. Switching to mobile development instead....ugh

I'm an avid IOS gamer, but I sure as hell don't want the next Hitman to be IOS.

Edit: ^^^Well, okay, maybe this news isn't so bad. At least the series is still being developed

Wolff

The game would full of crap that has nothing to do with Hitman, then it gets cancelled and then, an IOS game?

Square ruining another series i like. Let's see how they ruin Deus Ex next.

Raptomex

Another franchise ruined. While I somewhat enjoyed Absolution, it was a step in the wrong direction. Now we wait for Thief to be destroyed if 3 didn't destroy it already.

Wait cancelled due to the focus shifting to friggin' mobile!?

I didn't think that whole 'we'll be focusing more on mobile going forward' schtick meant that current games in development would suffer. Square Enix you dare cancel Tomb Raider 2…

This company keeps getting worse, every time I read something new it's terrible news.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Absolution was a very funny game imho, and no, Hitman has not been cancelled, IO are working on a new AAA Next-Gen Hitman.

Udq5cP1.png

Yeah, IO's job postings note that they're only working on the Hitman series, which matches up with Square Enix's prior statements.

Fuck you SE. I love Hitman. I even liked Absolution even though a lot didn't. What next, cancelling the next-gen Deus Ex game in the same fashion? Gives us fucking Hitman you lazy twats.

EDIT: ^^^So it hasn't been canceled? Also, he said "Hitman series as a whole"... what does that mean?

Top Bottom