• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix reports 13.7b yen loss, 99.7% yoy decrease in games income

They handle iOS games worse than almost any other major publisher.

They regularly refuse to localize games that fans in regions outside Japan have demonstrated an interest in.

They spend absurd amounts of money games like Final Fantasy XIII, XIV, and XIII-2 only to release turds, and Versus XIII, only to release nothing.

How is this a surprise? Just about the only part of the company that appears to know what the fuck they're doing is whoever is handling the Eidos stuff.

No just No spending 4 years to make Tomb Raider is not knowing what they were doing .
Along with there games hardly making money and costing so much .

Don't worry, there'll be more announcements at E3 and their earnings will be better next year!

cd4kBhz.jpg
I was just going to say. Theres a FF at E3 that will save them. Stay cool and calm guys.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Square just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11960243

It's been almost 5 years since this infamous post. Maybe they should have listened to him. Maybe people shouldn't have laughed at poor Muppet345 for knowing back then what everybody knows now. That this was a company that was heading for disaster.

I hope they recover, I'll at least stay excited. But not for much longer.

daxgame

Can I have my 3DS FFVI remake now, pls

Also glad that Dragon Quest X is doing well

BUT NOW PLEASE BRING IT OUTSIDE OF JAPAN /francis mode

Glass Rebel

I think a KH consoles game would out sell both of them to tell the truth .
The sad thing is with Tomb Raider and Deus Ex is they don't sell in Japan which makes it even harder to make back money on them .

KH could have sold 1-2 "tons" years ago. Nowadays... who knows? I wonder how KH1.5 will do.

Just Cause

True, that's another 1m+ seller for them although I think many of those were at highly reduced prices.

Just like their other games lololol

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
It would be smart of management to fix their studios and the branches of SE

Square Enix deals with the Final Fantasy's, DQ's, JP stable

Square Eidos deals with their Western Titles

Eidos needs to be it's own entity, not ship their info to Japan for fucking approval

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11960243

It's been almost 5 years since this infamous post. Maybe they should have listened to him. Maybe people shouldn't have laughed at poor Muppet345 for knowing back then what everybody knows now. That this was a company that was heading for disaster.

I hope they recover, I'll at least stay excited. But not for much longer.
And we still laugh till this day. I think its time we acknowledged that post guys, and wake up!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Sorry to say that RPG's are now taken over by From and Bioware

SE used to be the standard, they've fallen really far

XII and XII-2 are still in my backlog

XII resonated with me, for some reason the other 2 haven't gained my attention

cafemomo

They should have have lowered their hopes for titles such as sleeping dogs, tomb raider, hitman, etc, stop focusing on mobile titles and XIV a blunder reborn and should have localized Type-0 and kept their promise on Versus XIII instead of constantly delaying it.

UberTag

This sinking ship of a company is going to collapse upon itself before any of our grandest wishes get realized.
Bring out the next Lightning game already.

It's like watching a terminal relative. It's natural to hope things turn around, but at some point you'd rather they just go quickly so the pain can stop.

Mael

Gotta laugh at people only blaming the Japan part of SE when Eidos wasn't exactly in tiptop shape when they bought it anyway.
Funny that I had no problem with their money grubbing ports and remakes on gba/ds and now I won't touch anything they release on ios/gplay with a ten feet pole...
Let's not even begin to talk about what they do on home console :lol
From Romancing Saga/FFXII to ...well nothing.

AniHawk

focusing on final fantasy xiii an entire generation was a stupid move. i don't think eidos is working out for them either.

Chev

All they have to do is remake FF VII...They'd have more money than they know what to do with.
FF7 came at a time where it could be the herald of several revolutions, 32 bit era, rise of the PS1, 3D, optical storage... It was a product of its time and came out at just the right time, and all that contributed to make it the success it became. It was successful because it was new, and now it isn't. To replicate its success they need something new, not a retread that'd only appeal to nostalgic gamers.

Zekes!

All I know is they need to fuck off with FF in it's current form (stop trying to shove 13 down our throats) and Versus should've been cancelled or never allowed to take this long

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
focusing on final fantasy xiii an entire generation was a stupid move. i don't think eidos is working out for them either.

Leaving the next major KH out of the consoles for an entire generation is equally as stupid if not more.

Eusis

This is what happens when you don't realize anything.

Well, anything that people would actually want to play.
Well, some of the games were very well received, but they had a clear niche before they dominated in, whereas AAA is kind of stuffed now. And I suspect they consider themselves too big to properly cater to their old niche now, but who knows.

Glass Rebel

Gotta laugh at people only blaming the Japan part of SE when Eidos wasn't exactly in tiptop shape when they bought it anyway.
Funny that I had no problem with their money grubbing ports and remakes on gba/ds and now I won't touch anything they release on ios/gplay with a ten feet pole...
Let's not even begin to talk about what they do on home console :lol
From Romancing Saga/FFXII to ...well nothing.

People have started to shift some of the blame towards Eidos after Tomb Raider and Hitman. It's clear that both sides have massive issues.

Cerity

how about not dropping your prices so bloody quickly.

Hitman absolution can already be had for $5, it's not a terrible game and its not even a year old. Tomb raider can already be had for about $20 as well.

AniHawk

Leaving the next major KH out of the consoles for an entire generation is equally as stupid if not more.

well that falls into the focus on final fantasy xiii. there might have been nomura vanity project in there anyway, but it might have had a better chance at being postponed for a kingdom hearts iii if it was just some thing like the world ends with you.

kayos90

how about not dropping your prices so bloody quickly.

Hitman absolution can already be had for $5, it's not a terrible game and its not even a year old. Tomb raider can already be had for about $20 as well.

Overshipping a game will partially do that.

UberTag

What games can Square Enix customers look forward to in the future to support this struggling company?

Well, let's pull up the 'ole GameStop upcoming releases list and see what's in store for us.

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5 ReMIX {PS3} - September 10th

And well... that's it. Wonderful.

AniHawk

Isn't it funny how everybody thought that FNC would be some kind of huge and epic multimedia phenomenon.

haha

it might have been okay if they could have had the games hit in a timely manner. like 2007 - agito, 2008 - versus, 2009 - xiii. a string of titles to build up to the major release. instead they went dark for three years, released two games, and removed the branding from everything else that was previously associated with it. the only exception being lightning returns. if that was originally valkyrie profile 3 and they rebranded it to be a final fantasy xiii game, well, there is no emoticon for what i would be feeling.

Card Boy

Banned
After

Focusing on FF13 the whole gen on HD consoles
The debacle that is F14
Making Dragon Quest 10 a MMO
FF All the Bravest
Not releasing Vesus
Kane and Lynch
and Destroying Front Mission

This brings a smile to my face.

Edios was is a bit of a state pre buyout. Did SE do anything to fix whatever problems Edios had since then?

If FF15 bombs I bet they push it. Not until then though. Not until then.

What a wasted generation for SE though. Whos bright idea was it to make more FFXIII? What a dumb idea. Not to mention FFXIV, Dragon Quest MMO on the fucking WII!!!

I bet the meetings these decisions are made in are hilarious

kayos90

it might have been okay if they could have had the games hit in a timely manner. like 2007 - agito, 2008 - versus, 2009 - xiii. a string of titles to build up to the major release. instead they went dark for three years, released two games, and removed the branding from everything else that was previously associated with it. the only exception being lightning returns. if that was originally valkyrie profile 3 and they rebranded it to be a final fantasy xiii game, well, there is no emoticon for what i would be feeling.

They also had the nerve to say that XIII was planned as a trilogy from the start. rofl.

AniHawk

After

Focusing on FF13 the whole gen on HD consoles
The debacle that is F14
Making Dragon Quest 10 a MMO
FF All the Bravest
Not releasing Vesus
Kane and Lynch
and Destroying Front Mission

This brings a smile to my face.

2 mmos is one of the most mindboggling thing. okay, so final fantasy xi is old and it still makes the money, so i can get why they'd want something else to fill in the slot once it's too old (which would be what, five-six years from now?).

but why dqx online and ffxiv online? surely ffxiv makes more sense as a followup, and the systems they put dqx on are probably the worst-suited for it aside from the ds and 3ds. why not just go in for the easy payday with something like dqviii? it's not like expansion packs are going to be super easy for this game now.

there's also stuff like the $40 ds near-straight port selling 800k and somehow that's not enough interest in the series to warrant another title, despite the ability to grab a good portion of the talent responsible for the first game.

Glass Rebel

Oh, absolutely. From an outsider's perspective it looked like they were heading towards a fruitful and successful generation. Three distinct Final Fantasy games as a part of a larger universe somewhat comparable to Compilation of Final Fantasy VII sounded like the most amazing thing to any Square-Enix fan. It's mind-boggling how they could fuck up so badly and then do the same mistake with FFXIV.

As for Lighting Returns being VP3... I'd rather never find out.

Squire

Banned
Sure. A project that would be one of the most expensive in Square Enix history, and will sell about half of the average Call of Duty game.

Yeah, people thinking an FFVII remake would be some instant money fountain are nuts. They wanted TR to sell 10m, so they'd probably want more then 20+ for a full-scale remake of FFVII.

That'd mean it'd need to sell as well as a GTA game and that wouldn't happen.

Top Bottom