• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix sales report shows how much digital sales have gained ground over physical

cireza

Square-Enix sales results have been published.

Link

Screenshot%202021-08-05%20at%2014_20_07.png

Really puts in perspective those UK retail only sales numbers lol...

kingfey

Banned
There was/is a Pandemic and most of the stores were closed ?
Those aren't the only thing.

Physical copies is tied to production. And how much they can ship it. Its quite costly these days, for publishers to do physical copies.

You have to make deals with stores, meet the demand production, and have enough warehouse to make the game. Plus you need to secure enough disc's from the disc maker.

Digital is just a code,which the platform holder grants you. It costs less, and doesn't need a warehouse for it.

To publishers, the 2nd option makes more money for them.

kingfey

Banned
So you are saying that physical games have not been available for an entire year. I don't remember that there was a shortage of all physical games on a global scale.
Think of it as a lemonade stall. Once that stall finishes what it has, you wont have enough more drink to make. If the factory that makes the lemonade for you is closed, you wont have enough lemonade to sell.

That is what happened to physical games. Whatever they had was limited. The factories were closed, due to the lockdowns. The distribution centers were closed due to the lockdown. So you have an issue producing more copies in order to sell them. Internet or no internet, if production isn't up, you cant sell anything.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Covid accelerated it, not caused it. Digital sales on PS4 overtook physical for the first time in the first quarter of 2019, WELL before the pandemic started. There was a 5% growth in the digital-physical ratio between 2017 and 2018.

Page 8: https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/19q1_supplement.pdf

Digital will overtake physical regardless, eventually. Covid is just expediting the process. Most people simply do not care about the advantages of physical, they buy a few games every year and will pay a small premium to have it available the minute it launches, not have to worry about damaging or losing the disc etc.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Think of it as a lemonade stall. Once that stall finishes what it has, you wont have enough more drink to make. If the factory that makes the lemonade for you is closed, you wont have enough lemonade to sell.

That is what happened to physical games. Whatever they had was limited. The factories were closed, due to the lockdowns. The distribution centers were closed due to the lockdown. So you have an issue producing more copies in order to sell them. Internet or no internet, if production isn't up, you cant sell anything.
Have games been sold out during the pandemic? I’ve only seen talk about consoles.

cireza

Physical games were not sold out during the pandemic. They were readily available for everyone to purchase from online retailers.

kingfey

Banned
Physical games were not sold out during the pandemic. They were readily available for everyone to purchase from online retailers.
Available doesn't mean it will be brought to you easily. The entire transportation on that year got affected.

People turned to digital, since it was easier to get the games.

Every country had a tight lockdown on their borders, and every product that is being shipped was Hazzard of covid19.

Dr.Morris79

When did you ever own a shit?

1 license fight, and the game gets plugged out from support. There is no ownership at all.
I'm not going to get into the argument that the ten tons of backlog from the 80's to now I have can still be played. Unlike digital only that can be pulled because 'fuck you' ethics.

Bryank75

Banned
So you are saying that physical games have not been available for an entire year. I don't remember that there was a shortage of all physical games on a global scale.
For instance in Ireland we had all our retail stores except for necessities closed for a year, they only recently opened back up and there is no Irish Amazon branch..... you have to order from a foreign retailer and our logistics channels were all congested and Brexit cause chaos with imports.

Then you had the Suez canal incident and global issues and overloading of distribution channels.

I don't know why a certain few people here seem to want to kill off physical games.... is it just because your company of choice has a subscription service you worship like some type of deity?
Then you talk about anti-consumer behavior from other companies in the same breath. FML.

Physical will always be the only TRUE ownership option.... nobody is gonna come to your house and demand a physical game back and once the whole game is on there, you can play it forever.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I'm not going to get into the argument that the ten tons of backlog from the 80's to now I have can still be played. Unlike digital only that can be pulled because 'fuck you' ethics.
What will you do, once those devices gets broken?

You are acting as if everything going to be ok for a long time.

I am having issues finding fix for my psp. Any parts of it, is getting harder to get. Once that machine is gone, all my games would useless. A new psp systems costs around 200+ as of now.
Same thing for my OG xbox. Once that system is dead, my physical copies are useless, until I find a new system.

I cant find n64,genesis, or any old hardware system. Even ps2 is hard to find right now. And I can't trust ebay that much.

Both have their own issues. Let's not act, physical games to be that good. Scratch, broken discs, are the danger for those physical, when you own them. Especially when there is kids at home.

cireza

For instance in Ireland we had all our retail stores except for necessities closed for a year, they only recently opened back up and there is no Irish Amazon branch..... you have to order from a foreign retailer and our logistics channels were all congested and Brexit cause chaos with imports.

Then you had the Suez canal incident and global issues and overloading of distribution channels.

I don't know why a certain few people here seem to want to kill off physical games.... is it just because your company of choice has a subscription service you worship like some type of deity?
Then you talk about anti-consumer behavior from other companies in the same breath. FML.

Physical will always be the only TRUE ownership option.... nobody is gonna come to your house and demand a physical game back and once the whole game is on there, you can play it forever.
I have no interest in any argument about ownership or whatever. I use both digital and physical games.

I found that the report from SE brought interesting facts about digital sales ratio, that's all there is to my intention when creating this thread.

Last edited:

mejin

“puts in perspective the UK physical numbers”, yes duh lmao, nobody with a developed brain actually believed those were the extent of the sales.

But you know, things work proportionally.

He probably is thinking Xbox sells more digital games than Playstation lol

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

I’m gonna need a source on this one. AFAIK there was no shortage of physical games and production was not substantially impacted to the point where people wanted physical games but couldn’t buy them.

kingfey

Banned
I’m gonna need a source on this one. AFAIK there was no shortage of physical games and production was not substantially impacted to the point where people wanted physical games but couldn’t buy them.
Are you saying closing down stores, halting down transportation, shutting down jobs won't slow down physical games?
The same thing that needs people in a warehouse. Distribution centers, and for transportation?

Only reason why there is no shortage report, is because they have digital version. And from square data, we can see that people bought as much digital as they can, and less physical.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Square-Enix sales results have been published.

Link

Screenshot%202021-08-05%20at%2014_20_07.png

Really puts in perspective those UK retail only sales numbers lol...

Just wait for covid lockdowns to be gone and most people can just go to stores again.

After two years of covid that was expected and not surprising.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

Until publishers feel like it's waste of money printing out physical games. Until then, physical games would be alive.

I am just worried about the garbage they shove on day1, which needs huge day1 patches. That would sting for physical games. We seen that from cyberpunk2077.

Some recent stats showed that people tend to buy multiplayer games digital, the ones where you’ll spend potentially 100s of hours or really lengthy ones like AC Valhalla. One and done games, like Sony’s still have healthy percentage in physical (over 30%). That makes perfect sense. Still, I’ll always buy physical first if available because it’s better option in all imaginable ways.

Dr.Morris79

What will you do, once those devices gets broken?

You are acting as if everything going to be ok for a long time.

I am having issues finding fix for my psp. Any parts of it, is getting harder to get. Once that machine is gone, all my games would useless. A new psp systems costs around 200+ as of now.
Same thing for my OG xbox. Once that system is dead, my physical copies are useless, until I find a new system.

I cant find n64,genesis, or any old hardware system. Even ps2 is hard to find right now. And I can't trust ebay that much.

Both have their own issues. Let's not act, physical games to be that good. Scratch, broken discs, are the danger for those physical, when you own them. Especially when there is kids at home.
Emulation, if it comes to it. And to be fair it's not even worth arguing, it's better to have the chance of your console failing in ten, twenty or even thirty years than having a non product you cant access in a few years

Why would you even be against this? It makes zero sense.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well a lot of games do seem to go out of stock here pretty quickly, which is surprising if they don't sell in big numbers.
not sure if that's because they don't send enough because they not selling or Covid or they don't send enough to force the impatient fucks to buy digitally.
Both are seem logical assumptions

MOTM

Banned

Nobody cares about « ownership ».

Netflix, Spotify, Gamepass, Steam, the above SE numbers prove it.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
When did you ever own a shit?

1 license fight, and the game gets plugged out from support. There is no ownership at all.
People get confused by this, obviously you do not own the media on the disc.
What you do own is a legal copy to use it.
Just like a Digital purchase, but there is a catch.
when it comes to physical media it conflicts because falls under personal belongings and whole new set of laws pops up.
For example if you downloaded a game and MS removed it from sale, they could disable the ability to play it legally and there's nothing you can do.
But if you have a physical copy the most they can do is not support it anymore.
But everything that was on that disc at the time of purchase can not be taken away from you.

Astral Dog

Its good to know companies are making good money on the digital front, but i hope physical sales recover when the pandemic eventually dies out, i don't wanna see physical games gone 🥺.

Dr.Morris79

People get confused by this, obviously you do not own the media on the disc.
What you do own is a legal copy to use it.
Just like a Digital purchase, but there is a catch.
when it comes to physical media it conflicts because falls under personal belongings and whole new set of laws pops up.
For example if you downloaded a game and MS removed it from sale, they could disable the ability to play it legally and there's nothing you can do.
But if you have a physical copy the most they can do is not support it anymore.
But everything that was on that disc at the time of purchase can not be taken away from you.
MS took my bought digital copy of the Xbox original game 'Dreamfall', just errors now when trying to redownload..

And lets not forget the xbox 360 version of Driver San Francisco that was made BC. Bought it digital? Sorry, you cant have it, disc only.

Bryank75

Banned
Nobody cares about « ownership ».

Netflix, Spotify, Gamepass, Steam, the above SE numbers prove it.

Those are passive entertainment mediums and Square sales prove nothing when disc was almost impossible or presented many barriers to get.

yazenov

He probably is thinking Xbox sells more digital games than Playstation lol
How does ratio works? some people don't understand basic math.

I really cant wait for digital sales numbers so we can put the wishful thinking to rest that Xbox sells more digital than Playstation.

The more probable reason is that Xbox users rent more than they buy with the introduction of Gamepass A.K.A the best value in gaming.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
We should have a comparison without digital only and PC titles that inflate the ratio.

But yeap after COVID digital become bigger than physical.

Which is why it's crazy some people are trying to come to some stupid conclusions here. Of course COVID is making digital bigger. So what are these other guys talking about?

Top Bottom