• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix sales report shows how much digital sales have gained ground over physical

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That's showing the ratio dramatically shifting towards physical in the last year.. am I missing something?

It's still massively towards digital of course but there's a more interesting story than the thread title implies I think.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
That's showing the ratio dramatically shifting towards physical in the last year.. am I missing something?

It's still massively towards digital of course but there's a more interesting story than the thread title implies I think.
New generation. We are experiencing digital kids take over the gaming. The longer the console is out, the older the gamers get.

My 8 year old brother is playing on his fire 10 hd tablet. In 10 years, he would be full digital kid. He has no clue what a physical game is.

Also, he plays much better Minecraft than me.

cringe facepalm GIF by Demic

MrFunSocks

Banned
There was/is a Pandemic and most of the stores were closed ?
The sales have been trending this way for years, pre pandemic as well.

The UK physical sales threads are ridiculous. Fanboys crowing over selling the most of the peanuts. A game being number 1 vs number 7 is probably 10k copies vs 5k copies. Physical is as good as dead. I for one welcome our digital copies overlords.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

New generation. We are experiencing digital kids take over the gaming. The longer the console is out, the older the gamers get.

My 8 year old brother is playing on his fire 10 hd tablet. In 10 years, he would be full digital kid. He has no clue what a physical game is.

Also, he plays much better Minecraft than me.

cringe facepalm GIF by Demic

But again.. the ratio was HIGHER for digital purchases before this generation started, as evidenced by the stats in the OP lol

IntentionalPun

Q1 2021: 86% digital
Q1 2022: 82% digital

PHYSICAL MAKING A COMEBACK BABY!!

(it was the pandemic, just thought this was funny)

kingfey

Banned
But again.. the ratio was HIGHER for digital purchases before this generation started, as evidenced by the stats in the OP lol
2014 kids. And digital games being easier to get. Both helped them make digital stronger. You can have 200 library easily, compared to physical copies.

Orion2

Banned
digital is the future unfortunately if you like it or not, I already made a complete switch in early 2020 right before next gen, 10-20-30% of games were digital anyway even on disc versions because of patches, patches killed disc games for me

IntentionalPun

2014 kids. And digital games being easier to get. Both helped them make digital stronger. You can have 200 library easily, compared to physical copies.
Bro I mean this in the nicest way but you need to learn English a little better before participating in an English language forum.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Are you saying closing down stores, halting down transportation, shutting down jobs won't slow down physical games?
The same thing that needs people in a warehouse. Distribution centers, and for transportation?

Only reason why there is no shortage report, is because they have digital version. And from square data, we can see that people bought as much digital as they can, and less physical.
There were a zillion consumer goods that most definitely were not in short supply during the pandemic. During the initial lockdown the non-essential stores (like GameStop) were only closed for a short time, and you could still easily order online or do curbside pickup, or get games at Best Buy, Target, etc.

Anybody who wanted to buy physical very easily could’ve done so. It was not any more difficult/inconvenient than it is right now. Unless you provide a source I’m just going to assume you’re full of BS

DrAspirino

Banned
Physical will always be the only TRUE ownership option.... nobody is gonna come to your house and demand a physical game back and once the whole game is on there, you can play it forever.
Ehrrmm....nope.

Can you honestly say that you OWN a game nowdays, with consoles being extremely tied to their manufacturers and physical copies released so half-assed that they need a day-one patch?

Because that's reality nowdays, no matter which console or platform you "own".

...and let's not forget about DLC, which is a whole other issue.

It's not about what some people want. It's about what's the scenario now, and what we've got. It's only inevitable that sooner than later the console space will be just like the PC space: all-digital.

kingfey

Banned
Ehrrmm....nope.

Can you honestly say that you OWN a game nowdays, with consoles being extremely tied to their manufacturers and physical copies released so half-assed that they need a day-one patch?

It's not about what some people want. It's about what's the scenario now, and what we've got. It's only inevitable that sooner than later the console space will be just like the PC space: all-digital.
Dont tell them about those F2p games, and BR games. and those devs who cant afford physical production cost.

Physical video games don’t make any sense for the modern consoles, much less PC for over a decade now.

I understand that it’s hard to accept for many people, but digital gaming is the norm both in the marketplace now and for most people.

I would be surprised if by 2030 games are still released on physical media. The whole concept is antiquated and is best reserved for the retro market.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Ehrrmm....nope.

Yeah, I can say I own many games... especially PS first party are generally excellent at launch and have only minor bugs (I said generally).

I could get by on just my library of games in physical easily.

Just because your favorite company is all in on digital everything, doesn't mean there isn't a place for physical in the market. Nintendo especially has very strong physical sales.

Physical video games don’t make any sense for the modern consoles, much less PC for over a decade now.

I understand that it’s hard to accept for many people, but digital gaming is the norm both in the marketplace now and for most people.

I would be surprised if by 2030 games are still released on physical media. The whole concept is antiquated and is best reserved for the retro market.
Depends on the console. On the Xbox i'm 90% digital, because i can get all my games from Argentina for ridiculously low prices. But if i would have a PS5 i would be all physical. While the discs are already down to 40-50 bucks or even less used, they still want those brazenly 80 bucks in their store.

Top Bottom