• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix sends cease and desist letter to FF Type 0 translation group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Sky say that being in Spain meant that a C/D letter wouldn't matter?

He maybe thought that, though I'm not sure why. Just because it hadn't happened to him before and the country's enforcement of the law is lax doesn't mean that it couldn't happen. Also, the translation involves sizeable portions of code as well as other copyrighted material, making it less of a grey area and more full on copyright infringement, which is why this is probably happening right now since Spain does have copyright laws (nigh all countries do).

wrowa

Eh? Don't tell me that FMV had to be subtitled by subsituting the files themselves...ugh...Indie Game the movie "patch" style.

Yep, that's exactly the case. Apparently it wasn't possible to display subtitles during the FMVs due to the way the game is programmed. It's true that Type-0 was kind of a questionable translation patch due to that, sadly. With the news that Sky didn't receive a C&D but "something different", I'm really starting to worry that SE is actually suing him for distributing their copyrighted material. That would be the ultimate blow.

I remember Sky (?) posting about how a C&D wouldn't affect the project because he is from Spain or something... well there you have it!

But anyway, what's the point of a C&D at this stage? A quick Google search will give you multiple download links.

And this is why when selecting a game to make a fan translation of, you pick The Adventures of Horai High School and not Final Fantasy.

EDIT: Also, it's Fan Translation 101 to NEVER distribute any of the original game files. If the Type-0 patch was doing that, then they were just asking for trouble.

Parfait

Its almost as if they think that because they own the damn game that they have a right to the contents within it... The audacity!!

eh guys that's how a legal department works

The amount of rage and crying in this thread is amazing . "Wah the illegal translation that's already on the web.... which is fully complete, and released, got sent a cease and desist! How could they?!!?!#!? SE has betrayed me!!!!!"

This is one of those few times where I wish i was more well-versed in law to confirm this but I'm ~pretty sure~ they absolutely have to send a C+D to people infringing on their copyrights in the west. It's not always a business decision.

Vamphuntr

It's more than the FMV in that file too. You basically replaced the yellow.pkg of your iso with the one from the patch. In the GBA temp thread it's pretty much explained that yellow.pkg contains most of the game's data.

Which is also why you only needed 1 UMD to patch the game. That file is mostly the same on both UMD with the difference that some FMV are absent depending on which disc you are playing.

When you replace the yellow.pkg from your disc with the one from the patch. You simply have a complete and translated package of the game's data.

Foffy

Banned
I don't think Square is against fan translations. I recall the guy who created Front Mission wanted to thank the fan translation community for translating the first game before the DS remake. He implied they did what Square should have did.

I think Square is only doing this because they are in fact planning a release here. I don't think they'd be so dumb to aim for projects they have no plans for international releases. If that happens, then people can spit all the venom they want.

Be up in arms if they hunt a game like Blood of Bahamut, not Type-0.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I remember Sky (?) posting about how a C&D wouldn't affect the project because he is from Spain or something... well there you have it!

But anyway, what's the point of a C&D at this stage? A quick Google search will give you multiple download links.

Most likely this is not the first C&D they received.

It's more than the FMV in that file too. You basically replaced the yellow.pkg of your iso with the one from the patch. In the GBA temp thread it's pretty much explained that yellow.pkg contains most of the game's data.

Which is also why you only needed 1 UMD to patch the game. That file is mostly the same on both UMD with the difference that some FMV are absent depending on which disc you are playing.

When you replace the yellow.pkg from your disc with the one from the patch. You simply have a complete and translated package of the game's data.

So basically they are giving away the entire game for free over the net. Yeah, that'd be why Square is taking action.

wrowa

This is one of those few times where I wish i was more well-versed in law to confirm this but I'm ~pretty sure~ they absolutely have to send a C+D to people infringing on their copyrights in the west. It's not always a business decision.

They don't. There are literally hundreds of fan-translations to popular games out there and with the exception of SE no one seems be really bothered by them.

Zukuu

Banned
If sky doesn't face any consequences (and he probably won't) this has ZERO effect on anything. They shot themselves in the foot here, since all it accomplish is making SE seem like a dick.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
They don't. There are literally hundreds of fan-translations to popular games out there and with the exception of SE no one seems be really bothered by them.

Outside of this situation, which is likely happening due to the distribution of actual game content and not just a text translation patch, how many C&Ds or other legal notices has SE sent out for fan translations?

Because I'm pretty sure it's 0. IIRC there is only one other instance of a C&D on a translation patch and it too had some sketchy stuff going on (picked up for localization and but the translators didn't stop, or something).

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
If sky doesn't face any consequences (and he probably won't) this has ZERO effect on anything. They shot themselves in the foot here, since all it accomplish is making SE seem like a dick.

Yep, people already got it, and people who want it will always be able to get it... so they just made sure they looked like asses!

Mr. X

When a C&D shows up after the work is done, it's usually a kind gesture. Like the SoR:Remake, Sega waited until it was completed so their efforts weren't wasted. Compare to Hasbro canning the MLP fighter mid-development. It's out there for you if you can find it instead of not existing at all or damages for continuing work on it.

"Why they'd do it all then?" Because they still need to protect their IP. They don't want to lose their trademark or whatever they can lose for not protecting or policing.

You can go back to the hating.

"Threats and false accusations." huh? I want more specifics. And doesn't Square Enix have all the right to do this? Sure it sucks, but I can't see how they are legally in the wrong. It's not like the fantranslation team owns the rights to the game.

aravuus

Ahaha, it's a bit late now isn't it

I like how SE has handled everything around Type-0. It's like they're flaunting their incompetence.

e: unless, of course, they purposefully waited for sky to release the translation before sending the letter

i'll just say "good job, se" cause it can be taken literally if the latter is true or sarcastically if the former is true

NolbertoS

Well, I decided to buy the Type 0 PSP version in Japanese to play the english patch. SE can go **** themselves. It maybe there legal right buy taking down a fan translation after its been completed smells like douchebagginess.

jschreier

Just to temper the outrage a little bit... I believe there's more to the story here than "Square sends C&D at worst possible moment." Remember that they suddenly changed the release date from August to June, right before the E3 announcement. I'm on vacation today but will likely have a story up about this next week.

yozac

Neo Member
SE might have had the "right" to do this, but that doesn't need they should have. If anything, this fan translation boosted sales, as it gave Westerners a reason it import.

Shiina

Just to temper the outrage a little bit... I believe there's more to the story here than "Square sends C&D at worst possible moment." Remember that they suddenly changed the release date from August to June, right before the E3 announcement. I'm on vacation today but will likely have a story up about this next week.

If they had an interest in stopping the whole thing they should have sent him a C&D when he was flaunting his progress and possible release date months and months ago.

DJIzana

There's too much that's wrong with this company. Don't forget that this company also kept promising a regular flow of FFXV information. So much for that idea, no?

studyguy

Not sure what people expected, it's well within the company's rights to legally protect its IP. The fact that they released the C&D now instead of sooner doesn't change that fact.

wrowa

Well, usually fan-translators stop their work on a project once the publisher announces an official localization of a project they are working on. It's part of their ethics, so to speak. So it wouldn't surprise me if the team either got wind of the announcement early or suspected SE announcing Typo-0 at E3 and in turn released the patch earlier than planned, because they didn't want to cancel the release on the final stretch. I don't think that necessarily means that they've got a C&D at that point already, though.

But, anyway, keep up your good work. And please try to come to know what Sky actually received from SE. It doesn't sound like he actually got a C&D, so things might be worse for him than expected.

jschreier

There's too much that's wrong with this company. Don't forget that this company also kept promising a regular flow of FFXV information. So much for that idea, no?
As anyone who reads Random Encounters knows, I'm hardly a Squeenix defender. They do some objectively dumb things. But this particular story isn't as black and white as some ITT have made it seem, not just because they obviously have the right to stop someone from releasing their game's source code, but because they have been in touch with the folks behind the fan translation for quite some time now. More when I'm off vacation and can write up the story.

Shogun1337

I love hate this company. I fucking love hate this company unlike anything I've ever experienced in my life. It's more hate than love, though. Is this how people in destructive relationships feel? Love only because I know that's how I'll feel when THEY GET OFF THEIR BRICK ASS AND RELEASE TYPE 0 TO THE WEST. Hate until then.

TalOrtRal

Eh, this is probably just a policy to be fair. Their legal team probably has a rule that any unofficial valuable projects done on their active IPs gets told off by their lawyers.

Kinda like how DC comics lawyers shot down a memorial statue for a little kid because it asked to use the superman logo. It was just a policy that every project was subject to equally, not them literally going after one. When the company got more word on it, they made an exception.

This.

It amazes me how people don't understand copyright law at all and just like to be pissy about corporations. If they don't ever defend their IPs, they could lose them.

Also, in my opinion, the reason they waited this long was not an oversight, but SE secretly being a good guy here. Doing it this way, we get the translation and they still get to send the C&D, protecting their IP.

RPGCrazied

Only a matter of time. There was this cool remake/demo for Chrono Trigger, it was only suppose to be a demo, but man it looked cool. Yet they get shut down, and just sit on the ip and do nothing with it. I don't get it. I think it was called Chrono Resurrection.

Not sure what people expected, it's well within the company's rights to legally protect its IP. The fact that they released the C&D now instead of sooner doesn't change that fact.

Think, McFly, think. I doubt that many here disagree with your thoughts on intellectual property. This move is an indication that SE is out of touch with their fans in the west. The only reason that this translation exists to bring the game to English-speakers, not for profit. This is the JRPG community reacting to SE's overall incompetence.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
As anyone who reads Random Encounters knows, I'm hardly a Squeenix defender. They do some objectively dumb things. But this particular story isn't as black and white as some ITT have made it seem, not just because they obviously have the right to stop someone from releasing their game's source code, but because they have been in touch with the folks behind the fan translation for quite some time now. More when I'm off vacation and can write up the story.

Sounds like you know something.

I'm curious to see what the details are when all this calms down.

So this is going to get ugly, interesting.

desu

I thought it was always obvious? I mean there were more than enough people that actually knew about Typo 0 getting an official announcement at E3 this year, and if the team got the message from someone ...

Was the only choice they had to release the translation.

DJIzana

I also thought the guy who did the fan translation also lived in an area where C&D wouldn't effect him? Oh well... guess no one is immune to that. :p

kayos90

Called it.

I also thought the guy who did the fan translation also lived in an area where C&D wouldn't effect him? Oh well... guess no one is immune to that. :p

We don't know if that was true of if it was just arrogance (probably the latter). In any case, it's sounding more and more like this wasn't a C&D and more like the guy is in deeper trouble.

Phenomic

I will take this with a grain of salt and wait for this article before I reflect judgment, needless to say as much as I want Final Fantasy 15... I'm about ready to never support another one of their products ever again. Namco is proving to be some what of a good substitute to my RPG needs these days with better and better localization support and Souls.

Looking forward to some more quality journalism. Thanks for doing what you do Jason.

kayos90

We don't know if that was true of if it was just arrogance (probably the latter). In any case, it's sounding more and more like this wasn't a C&D and more like the guy is in deeper trouble.

I'm pretty sure it was originally a C&D that escalated into something else. They ignored the C&D and released the translation. Now they're in deeper shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom