• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix sued by SNKPlaymore, cops raided office

Your first sentence is one part I didn't actually know.

Lose your rights? Really?

No, not really, he's wrong. Copyright dosen't work like that.

I won't give you the details, but, yes, you kinda have the obligation to defend your IP, otherwise after some time elapses without you acting (and if you knew your IP was used without your agreement), you will lose your rights on that IP. That's also why C&D letters are sent to axe some fan projects.

I think you're conflating copyright law and trademark law which isn't really the same thing. Under Japanese law copyright dosen't lapse in any way until 50 years after the authors death or 70 years after publication if it is not an authored work, if I understand correctly.

Trademarks (and maybe patents, not really sure) on the other hand may lapse if not defended but that's a whole other thing...

SE probably forgot to get official permission and when SNKP came knocking, they wanted more than simply a "please" and "thank you" at that point and SE probably wasn't willing to pay when they likely didn't pay for the others.

Effect

Square Enix is now apparently recalling print issues of the manga and ceasing digital sales.

http://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/nl/articles/1408/06/news129.html

This is pretty much an outright admitting of wrong doing on Square Enix's part right?

SE probably forgot to get official permission and when SNKP came knocking, they wanted more than simply a "please" and "thank you" at that point and SE probably wasn't willing to pay when they likely didn't pay for the others.

Maybe but it seems like Square Enix just wasn't responding when contacted if I'm understanding the thread correctly. Which is what I don't understand. They know full well they were referencing someone's else's IP. You get permission and/or kick back a percentage based on how often you use it. Square Enix of all companies, that go after others when their IPs are used somewhat regularly, should know this. That's what makes this entire thing somewhat funny for me.

ibi5Cl2fjf86Mx.jpg

859053178.gif

shandy706

Never heard of it.

Just looked through 10 pages of one and saw everything from a Nintendo Gameboy (name on it and everything) to numerous games.

Surprised they haven't been stopped already. Would be nice if those involved just said "remove any names/direct copies".

LOL, it's obvious in one frame that they literally took a screenshot in photoshop and turned it black and white though!! XD

Well, looks like I'm going to be rich from the recall -_-

http://news.ameba.jp/20140818-21/

Kindle versions are also down, manga will be set on infinite hiatus.

After seeing some pages of the manga...I'm surprised this isn't being sued for the mediocre art...

Oshikiri Kensuke started out doing horror/comedic-horror. For his particular niche, the art style works out fine.
Not to mention, he's a decent story teller where you would look pass the art shortly.

CTLance

130 bucks for the hardcover edition? 60 for the softcover version? How much did they sell for initially (at retail)?

Sucks that they're just pulping everything. Well, that's IP laws and commercial considerations for ya, I guess.

How are ebooks handled in this? I expect those that own a copy don't find them wiped from their devices or anything, but the store just doesn't sell them anymore - right?

TnK

Well, looks like I'm going to be rich from the recall -_-

http://news.ameba.jp/20140818-21/

Kindle versions are also down, manga will be set on infinite hiatus.

Oshikiri Kensuke started out doing horror/comedic-horror. For his particular niche, the art style works out fine.
Not to mention, he's a decent story teller where you would look pass the art shortly.
Manga is on infinite hiatus? That really sucks =|

The manga was really funny, and the anime adaption would most probably have been awesome.
Even if they resolve this, there is no way for the series to continue?

OrochiJR

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The last 3d fighting game they made that I remember is the Samurai Spirits one...

Thats not something Id like to recall...

OrochiJR

Yeah, 3d kof wasnt good either.

KOF Maximum Impact (1) was pretty mediocre, but I liked MI2 much more, and its upgrade, Regulation A, was pretty good IMO. It was not classic KoF and more it's own thing, but not bad. I also liked the crazy re-designs most characters received with their second costumes. And although it's an unpopular opinion, I also dug the new characters. At the time MI released, like 10 years ago, I badly wanted to see Alba, Soiree and Lien in a 2D KoF.

Loona

Wonder if the manga will continue now. Though I think the artist might have started a different series.

According to the SE annoucement of the dispute settlement, the manga will resume publication:

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/company/en/news/2015/html/29f3f88b06bd45b92ff586fcc6afc546.html

No idea if it'll be new or old issue though.

I'm just glad it's one less thing for SNKP to worry about, and now my conscience is clearer as an SNK fan for playing FFXI again and looking forward to a new Dissidia.

Their major stockholders Ledo Millenium had a role in this, so I guess that's one positive point about their influence.

ZoddGutts

From animenewsnetwork.com

Square Enix issued a press release on Wednesday stating that, as of Monday, both Square Enix and SNK Playmore have settled their claims regarding Rensuke Oshikiri's Hi Score Girl manga. Square Enix and SNK Playmore, through holding company Ledo Millennium Co., Ltd. (a holding company of Leyou Technologies, which recently acquired an 81.25 percent stake in SNK Playmore's shares), have mutually decided to settle the case in its early stages, choosing to see the use of each company's characters as a chance for a cooperative effort.

SNK Playmore officially sent a document to the Osaka District Court on August 24, stating that it is dropping its criminal charges, and the Osaka Prefectural Police has officially received the document. The press release clarifies that Square Enix can now continue publishing and selling Hi Score Girl.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...settle-claims-over-hi-score-girl-manga/.92146

So the new owners of SNK decided to settle mutually with Square-Enix in order to build a relationship with them, not a bad move. Also Hi Score Girl can now continue being published by Square-Enix again. Really hope it comes back, it's a fun manga to read. Wonder if the anime adaptation will still happen now.

Top Bottom