• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix sued by SNKPlaymore, cops raided office

Shamdeo

Update:

Police did a through search of the building but found no traces of Final Fantasy XV or Kingdom Heats 3.

iF8XYhWrolmJY.gif

NeonZ

I would have figured the referencing done in High Score Girl would be fair use and wouldn't need permission for it. Big fuck up by SE manga publishing side to not have cleared the permissions before publishing the manga.

There seems to be very little "fair use" allowed in Japan, not even parodies are really protected (which is why parodies in anime often go with renamed and redesigned characters even if just for background appearances - unless there's some connection in studio, production company, or such).

Manga often seem to be basically overlooked by companies though, but they seem harsher with anime. Still, there's not really protection even for the manga (including Doujins), it's just generally overlooked, until it isn't.

CamHostage

Interesting. Japan is notorious for ignoring copyright (Beatles music cribbed in Earthbound, the Commando/Rambo/Pliskin image clones in '80s games like Contra and Metal Gear ... the whole doujinshi industry) so I'm very surprised to see a complaint/suit actually get to the point of a raid.

It's actually a tribute work rather than something that infringes on any calculable way on the value of the product, so although it was stupid for Square Enix to not seek permission (which, sadly in this overly-cautious business environment, would be promptly denied,) I feel like there should have been some way for this to be legal? It's original art (albeit designed after the original,) it's a wholly separate work that makes it clear it is a manga about the girl rather than about the story or characters of the game (as far as I know of the manga... does she become part of the games, or does she just go to arcades?,) it is clearly not replicating or cloning the product (a printed image that looks like KoF doesn't have any buttons to let you play KoF,) and it really cannot be confused as that other company's product, as something that is taking revenue away from the copyright holder. I'm not sure what separates this from say Game Center CX, where the product's imagery and audio are used (not in service of news, either) for the profit of a third party... they even give away the gameplay experience surprises, which somebody could argue damages the value of the original. A moviegoer clip show wouldn't work like that, so unless CX is getting permission, I'm not clear what the difference is?

By the way, Hardcore Gaming 101 has a really nice feature on copy elements used in games:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/tracing/tracing.htm

(Don't tell the cops!)

UrbanRats

So if this was an American thing, this would fall under parody law? Does Japan have nothing like that? Or is it because they used the "copyright" thing at the end?

For something that seems to be a love letter to 90s arcades, it seems pretty sad that there isn't a way around this.
I admit though that many things about copyright laws confuse me.

fates

I would have figured the referencing done in High Score Girl would be fair use and wouldn't need permission for it.

I'm not an authority on legal issues, but I'm pretty sure fair use only covers non-profit endeavors. In this case, the manga is being made for profit so using these images is not covered by fair use.

I swear this gets me everytime. It gets funnier the more you look at it.

Loona

Square can start by taking all the money I paid them over the years for FFXI and redirect it to the SNKP fund to make a new KoF to make amends.

BadWolf

Wouldn't this have been some good publicity for the characters/games?

Anyway, here's hoping they get a nice chunk of change out of this to fund Last Blade 3 and Mark of the Wolves 2.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They're two companies you'd think would never have anything to do with one another, but since the parent/joint company is gaining massive ground and buy outs seem almost innevidable , it's easy for one company to run into the next. Just wait... In 15 years when creative talent hits a hietus, we're probably going to see this more and more.

Copyrighted materials aren't something to be messed with.

lupinko

Mmcafe's musings about SNKP endangering it's use of Taito's hardware and distribution is a joke mainly because Sega has a similar system now which is also used by third parties. The arcade DOA5 and the most recent Accent Core revision and Xrd both use it.

And SNKP has used Sega in the past with Atomiswave.

UrbanRats

I wonder how much this has delayed Final Fantasy XV.

Given the timescale we're talking about here, not much.
Humanity's journey, from our origin in east Africa, to today, and possibly our future exodus into outer space, are but a spec of dust, in what is the great chronicle of Final Fantasy XV's development cycle.

shaowebb

Considering how protective Square Enix is of their own intellectual property given their strong history of handing out Cease and Desists to anyone and everyone ...well...its pretty IRONIC here to see them ripping off intellectual properties from other companies to boosts sells and interest in their own manga.

ArjanN

Wouldn't this have been some good publicity for the characters/games?

Yeah, pretty much. "Stop advertising our games for free! No one must know they exist!"

I dunno, to me this just seems like the equivalent of a character drinking a Coca-Cola in a comic and then the Coca-Cola company suing. Seems counterproductive to me and kind of a dick move.

Given the timescale we're talking about here, not much.
Humanity's journey, from our origin in east Africa, to today, and possibly our future exodus into outer space, are but a spec of dust, in what is the great chronicle of Final Fantasy XV's development cycle.

Evil-Laugh-GIF.gif

SNKP is only worth 17M US Dollars.

I'm surprised they haven't been bought out, or went on to churn indie games alongside KOF.

Squenix is probably waiting for the extra income from that FFVII remake to buy them

Squishy3

Interesting. Japan is notorious for ignoring copyright (Beatles music cribbed in Earthbound, the Commando/Rambo/Pliskin image clones in '80s games like Contra and Metal Gear ... the whole doujinshi industry) so I'm very surprised to see a complaint/suit actually get to the point of a raid.
Nothing would really have come of this if the company making the anime didn't contact SNK asking for the use of their characters and music. The big thing that is probably going to swing the case in SNK's favor is the end pages of the manga had the copyright symbol with SNK Playmore's logo next to it, making it look like they got permission when they never did.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I like what I see of this Manga. Shame to find out about it in such a way.

But.. I'm surprised at this. I've always heard that Japanese publishers had to get permission for even including character art pieces in magazines. 90's game mags often noted how they had to go through a nice process to get permission for art and screens for overseas publication as well. Why wouldn't Squeenix have gotten permission for this situations automatically in the first place?

Anyone know how something like Genshiken handled all it's obvious trademark-series references in the past? I've rarely seen professional manga make such exact references in this manner, going by the screens posted here.

Considering how protective Square Enix is of their own intellectual property given their strong history of handing out Cease and Desists to anyone and everyone ...well...its pretty IRONIC here to see them ripping off intellectual properties from other companies to boosts sells and interest in their own manga.

I don't think any higher ups had a hand in referencing other properties at all, much less as a means to boost sales. It's a manga by one guy that just happens to be serialized in a magazine Square runs.

EhoaVash

:{ i read this manga couple of month ago, about some creepy little rich girl falling in love with a creepykid in the arcades during the 90's arcade boom. pretty good manga imo

Squishy3

I don't think any higher ups had a hand in referencing other properties at all, much less as a means to boost sales. It's a manga by one guy that just happens to be serialized in a magazine Square runs.
Yeah, but the editor or someone should have caught this, especially if it has "(C) SNK Playmore" in the end pages but SNK was never contacted.

Top Bottom