• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix sued by SNKPlaymore, cops raided office

rpmurphy

If they didn't get permission, why couldn't they just have done it like everyone else and changed the names around?

Kang of Feeters
Mantle Slog
Mandible Drip

Zambatoh

I think both companies are in the wrong here.
SE clearly screwed up legally, but SNK is just being dumb and petty about the whole thing.
Normally you'd only sue to protect your IP, but this...this isn't protecting their IP. It's just a "reference".

Nairume

Banned
I think both companies are in the wrong here.
SE clearly screwed up legally, but SNK is just being dumb and petty about the whole thing.
Normally you'd only sue to protect your IP, but this...this isn't protecting their IP. It's just a "reference".

Reference would just be namedropping and maybe a parody image.

This manga seems to be full on reproducing images directly from SNK's games and then trying to mislead people into thinking that they have permission to do so.

TreIII

Reference would just be namedropping and maybe a parody image.

This manga seems to be full on reproducing images directly from SNK's games and then trying to mislead people into thinking that they have permission to do so.

Exactly. And this is problematic because the manga and anime are both commercial products. This is a bit different from the more gray area that "doujin/fanmade" stuff occupies.

Snaku

Banned
Update:

Police did a through search of the building but found no traces of Final Fantasy XV or Kingdom Heats 3.

whja3Wo.gif

L Thammy

My mental image is of a SWAT team breaking down the door, yelling "drop the belts, punks. Now!"

That's probably not what happened.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
While I get the legality of scenarios like these, I've never for the life of me understood the propensity to act upon it.

It's not like SNK's brand contributed to the popularity of the manga.

If anything, SNK games being seen in the manga would boost THEIR popularity. Basically free advertising.

Isn't it almost like the Fox complaining that an image of Homer Simpson was used in Apples latest MacBook Air ad? So? Apple is the biggest brand in the works right now, you should be HAPPY your IP is getting such a level of exposure.

Or am I missing something? Again, remembering I said I fully get the legality of the situation.

L Thammy

Isn't it almost like the Fox complaining that an image of Homer Simpson was used in Apples latest MacBook Air ad? So? Apple is the biggest brand in the works right now, you should be HAPPY your IP is getting such a level of exposure.

It really is great exposure for a niche product like The Simpsons.

duckroll

While I get the legality of scenarios like these, I've never for the life of me understood the propensity to act upon it.

It's not like SNK's brand contributed to the popularity of the manga.

If anything, SNK games being seen in the manga would boost THEIR popularity. Basically free advertising.

Or am I missing something? Again, remembering I said I fully get the legality of the situation.

The nature of copyright is that you have to act on known infringements or you risk losing your rights. That's how the law works. So if you get the legality of it, you also get why it has to be acted on.

The nature of copyright is that you have to act on known infringements or you risk losing your rights. That's how the law works. So if you get the legality of it, you also get why it has to be acted on.

That's trademark law, not copyright. And while people who report such kind of incidents sometimes confuse one for another, I am pretty sure in this case it was copyright infringement, because I have never heard of trademark infringement being a part of criminal law.

fates

Didn't SNK let Square Enix use some characters for one of their Lord of Vermillion games?

Hopefully the most vocal hater of it was.

Huh? They wouldn't be at Square Enix silly! (or who knows, maybe there was some staff that wasn't on board with it)

fates

Almost a year of no action? Maybe they wanted for the manga to have more infractions before they wanted to pull the trigger D:

Probably still within the statute of limitations though, otherwise I don't think the cops would have did the raid.

On the topic of the raid, I'm mentally picturing an all out police raid in Square Enix's office...

K9999 was trending in Japan a couple of minutes ago in relation to SNKPlaymore's action against SquareEnix

nOzQbPN.png

For those of you not in the know, K9999 was a character created during the Eolith days of SNK who was a pretty blatant rip off of Tetsuo from Akira. They even had the same voice actor.

When SNK re-released KOF2002 they changed the character to "Nameless" and gave him an all black color scheme.

Loona

Anyone know how something like Genshiken handled all it's obvious trademark-series references in the past? I've rarely seen professional manga make such exact references in this manner, going by the screens posted here.

The Genshiken manga used fictionalized alternatives, and so did the anime, although different anime series had deals to legitimaly depict Guilty Gear of KoF XI (for part of the opening or brief footage in some episodes) depending on the season.

Azure J

you can feel the calm before the storm as the raid begins

PUT DOWN THE HAIR GEL AND BELTS OR I WILL SHOOT

They are suing for fan service manga.

SNKP I know you are poorer then CliffyB but don't go that low.

Update:

Police did a through search of the building but found no traces of Final Fantasy XV or Kingdom Heats 3.

They were prepared.

MKOXuBd.png

meanwhile, in the basement of S-E headquarters, Hiroyuki Ito is wondering what kind of mess his janitorial team will have to clean up later...

ibppfeZg9Qg5wP.png

I hope this doesn't mess with the manga though. Read it a while back and thought it was really charming stuff, nerdery aside.

Aaron

K9999 was trending in Japan a couple of minutes ago in relation to SNKPlaymore's action against SquareEnix

For those of you not in the know, K9999 was a character created during the Eolith days of SNK who was a pretty blatant rip off of Tetsuo from Akira. They even had the same voice actor.

When SNK re-released KOF2002 they changed the character to "Nameless" and gave him an all black color scheme.
Have to remember at the time SNK basically didn't exist, and it was the parent company that contracted Eolith to make the game with K9999 in it. The people currently running SNKPlaymore had nothing to do with it.

Top Bottom