• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix TGS report

-Kh-

Banned
As I said before somewhere, most FF games follow a pattern for names based on the game's world and culture.

For XIII the latin (language and culture) seems to be what predominates in the game, so it won't be strange to see more names like those.

In Agito, you play as a student who attends a magic school. Following an attack on your capital city of Rebrum by the Empire of Milites, which uses its own technology to make the crystals of its opponents ineffective, your fellow students end up leading the cause to free the city.

Students in your school all have their own specialties when it comes to weapons. When you first start out the game, you get to select the character type of your preference.

The game's battle system has the look of a traditional menu-based system, with a menu offering selections for attack, heal, and classic Final Fantasy spells. You face off against both soldiers from the invading army and against monsters.

Famitsu offers a look at characters who make use of whips, cards, and katana blades as their weapons (strangely, the screens in the magazine have the characters listed with their weapons as their names). Each weapon has its own unique characteristics which you'll have to make proper use of in order to be successful on the battle field.

In addition to weapons, you also make use of summon spells, with past creatures like Odin and Ragnarok confirmed for appearance. The summoned beast appears in place of your character, and is directly controllable by you. As previously disclosed, there's a raising component to the game when it comes to the summons.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/922/922529p1.html

-Kh-

Banned
In Agito, you play as a student who attends a magic school.

So it was a magic school and not a military one.

I wonder what are kids doing with weapons in a magic school, I mean staves and wands should be allowed, but scythes and katanas? :lol

:lol It seems all IGN does is look at the pictures and make the info up as they go. Like how they said the Warrior of Light and Garland were Cecil and Kain, then later said Garland was a Judge from FFXII.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
GoldandBlue said:
:lol It seems all IGN does is look at the pictures and make the info up as they go. Like how they said the Warrior of Light and Garland were Cecil and Kain, then later said Garland was a Judge from FFXII.

Heh.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
GoldandBlue said:
Geez, it's like they don't even try.

-Kh- said:
I wonder what are kids doing with weapons in a magic school, I mean staves and wands should be allowed, but scythes and katanas? :lol
Maybe they use the Magister Magi system. :lol

Kazenone

Alaluef said:
Night, light, sky, star, darkness, sword, lol. At least they sound cool in latim.

Royalty and people with status tend to have names like that, I think it fits considering the setting. Notice how Vaan and Penelo don't even have last names.

Actually I do, and you have a very valid point which I can't deny. Although, Noctis Lucis Caelum and Stella Nox Fleuret sound so artificial it ruins the immersion. All names are great, I'd love to play as Noctis, and Lucis, and Caelum, and Stella, and Nox and Fleret.

But as one singular name, it just sounds so tacky!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kazenone said:
Actually I do, and you have a very valid point which I can't deny. Although, Noctis Lucis Caelum and Stella Nox Fleuret sound so artificial it ruins the immersion. All names are great, I'd love to play as Noctis, and Lucis, and Caelum, and Stella, and Nox and Fleret.

Haha, well, I don't think their full names will be used throughout the entire game said by every character.

Fuu

Kazenone said:

Yup, I was talking about Ashe and Basch, I agree with you about the artificiality in the revealed Versus' names. That's why I hope the other characters have more natural ones, I love when FF uses last names.

should have used greek... greeks had the best names damnit

Anyway, most peoples names have meaning...given that most people (read next to nobody) on here has much familiarity with Latin, the names should just sound foreign... I think they are fine...better than Edge Maverick anyway hehe

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
nelsonroyale said:
should have used greek... greeks had the best names damnit

Anyway, most peoples names have meaning...given that most people (read next to nobody) on here has much familiarity with Latin, the names should just sound foreign... I think they are fine...better than Edge Maverick anyway hehe

lol, touche.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You can definitely tell they changed Noctis' model from the original trailer version here. He no longer looks like some Kingdom Hearts reject, heh.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
stuburns said:
and they're awesome.

I can't believe how amazing these FNC games are shaping up.
I'd be more excited if this release wasn't starting to take on the feeling of vaporware. Maybe Vaporware is the wrong word though, "Chinese Democracy-esque" might be better.

And frankly, I'm getting concerned that Square's lost it's touch. They haven't put anything of non-remake value out since Final Fantasy XII, which was 2 1/2 years ago IIRC.

StuBurns

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
I'd be more excited if this release wasn't starting to take on the feeling of vaporware. Maybe Vaporware is the wrong word though, "Chinese Democracy-esque" might be better.

And frankly, I'm getting concerned that Square's lost it's touch. They haven't put anything of non-remake value out since Final Fantasy XII, which was 2 1/2 years ago IIRC.

They did nothing between X-2 and XII and XII is still good.
They did nothing between X and X-2, X-2 was still amazing.
They did nothing between IX and X, and X was still phenomenal.

I don't think of SE any higher then Konami, they have one really good series that they iterate on every three or four years, and a bunch of crap ip/ports/remakes between them (maybe that's a slight exaggeration). I'm fine with that. I see no reason to doubt any of the FNC games will be amazing. The XIII team hasn't done anything since X-2, it's not like they've spiraled down to making cooking mama.

Angry Grimace said:

eh, ffxiii will be released and it will be the best jrpg released so far this gen...the best rpg period I reckon

Fuu

Angry Grimace said:
They haven't put anything of non-remake value out since Final Fantasy XII, which was 2 1/2 years ago IIRC.
TWEWY disagrees.

nelsonroyale said:
eh, ffxiii will be released and it will be the best jrpg released so far this gen...the best rpg period I reckon
A bit early to be calling that, no?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
stuburns said:
They did nothing between X-2 and XII and XII is still good.
They did nothing between X and X-2, X-2 was still amazing.

No it wasn`t :lol

StuBurns

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
No it wasn`t :lol
Are you insane? X-2 was awesome. It might have been a little too 'pop culture', but the gameplay was rock solid, and I thought the character development was the strongest of the three last gen FFs. Massively underrated.

Alaluef said:
TWEWY disagrees.

A bit early to be calling that, no?

heh...FF is just tuned to my taste...epic, flashy, artistically stunning, with a hell of alot to do...

For me, it will be my favourite rpg so far this gen

MrDenny

New scans up from famitsu chinese version? A few new shots of FFXIII series. One of the screens show pigtail girl getting attack by a mechanical flying creature.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
-Kh- said:
You probably didn't go past the opening sequence (don't blame you tho) to be bullshitting what is one of the greatest JRPG systems.

A RPG, especially a FF Game should provide a bit more than a good battle-system :-/

StuBurns

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
A RPG, especially a FF Game should provide a bit more than a good battle-system :-/
And it did, it just happens to be the highlight of that particular installment, the same way the art direction was the highlight of FF8, and the development system was especially weak, it didn't make it a bad game at all.

X-2 is an excellent game, it's not a stereotypical Final Fantasy, I think the '-2' gave them some sort of distance from the franchise conventions. I personally thought it was amazing, better then XII which most people claim to be the best of them for a long time.

-Kh-

Banned
cw_sasuke said:

Great music, great graphics, great battle system, great job system, great pacing, cheesy story.

The story wasn't that good for you? Sorry about that, maybe next time go read a book instead of be playing a game. Which If you don't know, they are more than just stories, yes, and that includes Final Fantasy and RPGs in generals.

An awesome story on a shitty game doesn't cut it as a great game, although a shitty story on a great game does still cut it.

If you have any other reasons why X-2 isn't supposed to be a great game besides the story please spill it out, if not then books are your friends.

Askia47

Angry Grimace said:

Its only been 2 1/2 years since FFXIII was announced. And a demo is coming in March, doesn't really seem like vapor ware.

If we are lucky, FFXIII will come out in Japan next fall and then it will only be a 3 year wait. The wait for FFXII was longer if you didn't play FFX-2 or longer if you didnt play FFXI either.

-Kh-

Banned
Angry Grimace said:

Just talking about Final Fantasy, not counting Mana, Kingdom Hearts, or Enix franchises:

FFXII Revenant Wings
FFXII Zodiac System
Crisis Core FFVII
FF Tactics A2
FFCC Rings of Fate
FFCC My Life as a King
Like 2 or 3 FF chocobo games.

The World Ends with You
Sigma Harmonics

I think those are a lot of FF games and a couple of new IPs.

Rpgmonkey

FNC looks nice, blah blah, same old same old. Just want them now.

Disappointed SE had no coverage on the DQIX side of things in Famitsu this week though, looking forward to that a lot more right now, especially I've been on a "DQ high" since I played DQVDS and started replaying VIII.

cw_sasuke said:

It had a few good tracks (though sometimes it got boring imo, but I think every soundtrack has a few weaker songs) and really fun gameplay.

Pretty much all I wanted (and expected) from that game in particular, as I got vibes about what to expect from it since I heard of it.

-Kh-

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
woah @ new scans
they all look amazing
Versus XIII is almost CG like o.o

For what they are all worth.. the game could look just as good as MGS4, and I'm pretty sure it will, but until we don't see some battle and field images, specially Versus that is Action-rpg.

Cerberus

New scans look yummy. I think the character models will look better than MGS4's when the game releases. I really want that demo now. March 2009 is so far away. :(

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
stuburns said:
They did nothing between X-2 and XII and XII is still good. They did nothing between X and X-2, X-2 was still amazing.

I don't think of SE any higher then Konami, they have one really good series that they iterate on every three or four years, and a bunch of crap ip/ports/remakes between them (maybe that's a slight exaggeration). I'm fine with that. I see no reason to doubt any of the FNC games will be amazing. The XIII team hasn't done anything since X-2, it's not like they've spiraled down to making cooking mama.
Those aren't particularly relevant comparisons, and in some cases they aren't even true; for example Kingdom Hearts II came out in between 10-2 and 12 and I think that was a great game; and the comparison of the period between 9 and 10 isn't even remotely relevant. That was literally like 7 years ago. That's like saying Nintendo makes great games for the Wii becuase Super Mario Bros. 3 was really cool; it's just not a contextual comparison; that was pre-Enix merger, even. And even if we are saying that's relevant, Final Fantasy X came out about a little over 1 year after the PS2 was released. FFXIII doesn't even have a release date, and in the case of the 360, we're speculating on a release 4 years after the console was released.

I see lots of reason to doubt that the FNC games will be good; Square hasn't shown much to me in the 7th generation hardware with anything, really. They've done a good job farming out Final Fantasy remakes and Dragon Quest remakes on portables based on 5th generation hardware, but that's about it as far I can tell.

-Kh-

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
I see lots of reason to doubt that the FNC games will be good; Square hasn't shown much to me in the 7th generation hardware with anything, really. They've done a good job farming out Final Fantasy remakes and Dragon Quest remakes on portables based on 5th generation hardware, but that's about it as far I can tell.

You see lots of reasons because you don't want to see the DS/PSP games right?

It really doesn't matter if they haven't put up anything on PS3/360 (Square side again), they have put awesome games on DS and PSP, should you not be so blind, then maybe you wouldn't be spilling such mad thoughts.

Angry Grimace

-Kh- said:
You see lots of reasons because you don't want to see the DS/PSP games right?

It really doesn't matter if they haven't put up anything on PS3/360 (Square side again), they have put awesome games on DS and PSP, should you not be so blind, then maybe you wouldn't be spilling such mad thoughts.
What, you mean Crisis Core and the World Ends with You? I don't think Square is exactly lighting the world on fire there in that category either. What awesome releases have they done there beyond those?

I think it's perfectly reasonable to be skeptical of the capabilities of a company that can't get a product out at ALL for either 7th gen platform for 3+ years into it's life cycle. Can any other company really say that they've been that behind? Probably not, because they simply couldn't have gotten away with that. I mean, we're talking about a company that's managed one console release, and that was Infinite Undiscovery, which wasn't special.

Top Bottom