• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix trying to sell off IO Interactive (Hitman)

Another factor: Hitman never really had great streamer support.

It's maybe the only game I like to watch many different people play, because the game actually reflects the personality of the person playing it. And no two people play t the same way.

But, I guess, people don't actually watch streams for gameplay

BibiMaghoo

If SE keep the IP to rot after they made the best game yet, I will rage. They don't need to give it away, but fuck, no one else is going to do a better job with it, and letting it die is just as bad.

Boke1879

Honestly it seems like a lot of these titles aren't selling as much as they used to. Like deus ex as well. Wonder why. Stuff like GTA still sells a ridiculous amount but most other AAAs fall short.

People are buying less games these days. They are buying games that give them constantly replay value.

GTA, Overwatch, Siege etc.

Mankind Divided was an ok game, but no one cared about it. Same with Dishonored 2. Just more of the same.

And so far they are only looking to sell off the Hitman devs. The rest are being put on the Marvel games.

It sucks but it's a business and if the games aren't performing changes will be made.

I have no doubts Hitman is a good game, but outside of this place I don't see anyone talking about or anyone who bought it.

Deadstar

People are buying less games these days. They are buying games that give them constantly replay value.

Mankind Divided was an ok game, but no one cared about it. Same with Dishonored 2. Just more of the same.

And so far they are only looking to sell off the Hitman devs. The rest are being put on the Marvel games.

It sucks but it's a business and if the games aren't performing changes will be made.

I have no doubts Hitman is a good game, but outside of this place I don't see anyone talking about or anyone who bought it.

I put 30 hours in Paris. Hitman was incredibly replayable. The amount of content in the game is staggering. As far as streaming goes, watching Giant Bomb play through the missions is probably my favorite content on the site.

People who replay Hitman have replayed it for hundreds or thousands of hours. User-made missions are constantly being made with endless permutations of objectives, and the community keeps coming up with fresh challenges and trying to beat each other's times.

So there's plenty of replay value, just a different kind of it for a different mindset. (Single-player, for one thing.)

Kill3r7

Tab least they aren't EA and just fire everyone and dissolve the the developer.

True but if SE keep the IP they might as well.

Squeenix has not been a good publisher for the Eidos properties.

They mishandled Deus Ex.

Expected way to high of sales for TRR causing them to be disappointed (this was before it was ported to current-gen)

Well, their handling of IO speaks for itself.

Squeenix seems to only be able to handle two things, FF and DQ.

Agreed but to be fair, Edios was not doing a bang up job either. They had some success under SE last gen.

Nah, I'm pretty sure Kotaku confirmed its existence when the leak happened. And Eidos Montreal has two teams. The Deus Ex team is working on the Marvel game. The other team is working on Tomb Raider.

Are you sure? I thought 1 team was collaborating with Crystal D on Avengers and the other team was developing Guardians of the Galaxy?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Welp this awful news,i think i am gonna buy the disc edition, i was going to i just got sidetracked. Good luck IO Interactive, i hope you land well because i feel no one is even attempting a similar game to Hitman.

sn00zer

Poor Eidos. They're the best thing about Square these days.

I fell like Eidos in general was just so poorly mishandled by Square, first with the expectation of Final Fantasy numbers, then by forcing implementation of weird micro transaction crap. In the end though Eidos games were far and above the best games coming out of Square for years almost in spite of Square.

Welp this awful news,i think i am gonna buy the disc edition, i was going to i just got sidetracked. Good luck IO Interactive, i hope you land well because i feel no one is even attempting a similar game to Hitman.
Well we have Alekhine's Gun but...yeah.
AD89r3.gif

wpnRx8.gif

justjim89

Blame the episodic contents. Such a major turn-off.

But the game was better for it. It worked perfectly for the Hitman concept and encouraged replayability. It kept people talking about it the whole year. I wouldn't have put half the time into the game that I did if it was just one release, and it wouldn't have gotten nearly as much word of mouth. What it needed was more advertising dollars invested towards it.

This really seems like the Japanese side of Square keeping the Western side in check, and fucking everything up like they did with Deus Ex, Thief, etc. Nevermind that FFXV came and went, or that KH3 is a god damn joke they keep pumping money into, let's punish the team that made one of the most beloved games in a year absolutely full of beloved games.

This just makes me fucking mad. I've ignored the last few ET's because I was ready for Season 2 news already.

I haven't been so pissed since the Konami/Kojima/Silent Hills fiasco.

As a long time Hitman fan who absolutely loved the last game I the series, it was litterally one of my most anticipated game of E3 2017. I was expecting the first episode of season two to be coming really soon, as Eidos were rushing the last elusive targets from the previous season.

And now, not only is the developper potentially out of a publisher/ being sold to the highest bidder, but chances are the Hitman IP and Hitman Season 2 is stuck in corporate limbo.

I just hope there's a clause somewhere that states that Hitman is a franchise that was created by IO and that remains their property... Otherwise, they pretty much destroyed the franchise.

justjim89

I haven't been so pissed since the Konami/Kojima/Silent Hills fiasco.

As a long time Hitman fan who absolutely loved the last game I the series, it was litterally one of my most anticipated game of E3 2017. I was expecting the first episode of season two to be coming really soon, as Eidos were rushing the last elusive targets from the previous season.

And now, not only is the developper potentially out of a publisher/ being sold to the highest bidder, but chances are the Hitman IP and Hitman Season 2 is stuck in corporate limbo.

I just hope there's a clause somewhere that states that Hitman is a franchise that was created by IO and that remains their property... Otherwise, they pretty much destroyed the franchise.

But clearly what the franchise needs is another linear action game like Absolution! This episodic, sandbox nonsense was such a misstep from the shining beacon of radiance that was Absolution! The numbers prove it!

God, I'm so fucking mad and upset. I'm with you, news about Season 2 was what I was most excited about coming out of E3.

Hitman went ignored by so many due to its episodic nature, and then the retail release came and went with a whimper and no promotion. It's a shame.

Episodic games need be cheap imo, not full price like Hitman. Full cost too much to ask to fork over when only getting small part of a game there and then. Buying it piecemeal is just bad value all over.

The retail release shoulda bundle second season pass with it if again, asking full price, because by time of retail release the game wasn't new anymore and can be seen as having less value (since other games the same age significantly cheaper).

I wonder if it was the always online shit that did their sales in. I know that's why I didn't get it.

Rip another western Square company.

Nah it was definitely the episodic style that did it.
They were basically asking $60 for one episode on a digital platform. When we were used to prices like $20-30 for episodic games. Obviously now that we know how the game turned out I bet people would have jumped in on a 2nd season, I know I would. But back when it was announced, I wasn't too fond of that price and decided to wait out for a retail version.

I honestly think they should have pulled a Telltale and release a season pass disc. That way they could have released a retail version from the beginning. Obviously not the best idea but I feel like it could have helped.

Respect

I was definitely among those interested due to the reception, but the episodic format completely turned me off and I just lost interest and moved on by the time all episodes were released.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Episodic games need be cheap imo, not full price like Hitman. Full cost too much to ask to fork over when only getting small part of a game there and then. Buying it piecemeal is just bad value all over.

The retail release shoulda bundle second season pass with it if again, asking full price, because by time of retail release the game wasn't new anymore and can be as having less value (since other games the same age significantly cheaper).

I don't think you have any grasp on this game at all if you're going to make value judgements based on the content, only to then dismiss what this game offered. Numerous large, replayable maps with tons to explore. Elusive targets, escalations, and user-generated maps. This game easily justified its full price tag.

I was definitely among those interested due to the reception, but the episodic format completely turned me off and I just lost interest and moved on by the time all episodes were released.
While it may not have been a sales success, in terms of actual game design, Hitman was one of, if not the best, use of the episodic structure maybe ever. It makes infinitely more sense than Telltale doing it. Every episode is basically a standalone game that can last 10-20+ hours, and thus the time between episodes gave people time to dig deep into the sandboxes and really explore the possibilities

I don't think you have any grasp on this game at all if you're going to make value judgements based on the content, only to then dismiss what this game offered. Numerous large, replayable maps with tons to explore. Elusive targets, escalations, and user-generated maps. This game easily justified its full price tag.

Evidently people by and large disagreed. $60 is too much for episodic format. Asking people for too much for what is delivered at the start.

Deadstar

While it may not have been a sales success, in terms of actual game design, Hitman was one of, if not the best, use of the episodic structure maybe ever. It makes infinitely more sense than Telltale doing it. Every episode is basically a standalone game that can last 10-20+ hours, and thus the time between episodes gave people time to dig deep into the sandboxes and really explore the possibilities

Absolutely agree with everything you said. What I'm seeing a lot of in this thread is people who seem to be confused about what Hitman was. They don't understand how much fun it was to replay the levels over and over. I get it. It sounded bad to me too but I tried the first level and was hooked. In the old Hitman games I'd play a level once and move on. In this game, I'd replay them over and over trying to do all of the opportunities and trying to unlock all the objectives. The game was just fun. It's really a shame people were scared off because of the episodic model.

Hitman is the best $60 I've spent in a long time. I could have played only Hitman last year and I would have been satisfied.

Dabanton

This is what I loved about it. You had an entire month to refine your approach to the episode and each stage was huge with so many approaches to the task.

I can see why it turned some people off but as you said if any game worked well for an episodic format it was this.

Gator86

I fell like Eidos in general was just so poorly mishandled by Square, first with the expectation of Final Fantasy numbers, then by forcing implementation of weird micro transaction crap. In the end though Eidos games were far and above the best games coming out of Square for years almost in spite of Square.

Yup, Eidos is basically the only redeeming thing about the wreckage of SE these days and they've just bungled the games to no end. The fact that they've been as consistently good as they have is a small miracle. SE is comically inept.

Euphor!a

Banned
It was confirmed months ago to be greenlit, if you were asking for some stance.

If you mean since this announcement, they've not said a word.

Yeah, I meant since Square's announcement since I assume it changes things, but hopefully not entirely.

People voted with their wallets. It didn't take.
Being a good thing sales-wise and being a good thing design-wise isn't always the same thing.

For Hitman as a game, in how its levels are designed and how its gameplay is implemented, the episodic structure felt like it was made for the game and dovetailed perfectly with the distinct sandbox stages and "mastery through repetition and experimentation" goal.

The time between missions encouraged players to invest time into stages and explore much deeper than they usually would. There's a reason why people have spent 20+ hours on a single mission

Fisty

I would love to see a Spy Fiction 2 directed by Swery65 made by IO. Doubt Access has the funds for something good though

ArjanN

Not sure what the point of keeping the Hitman IP without IO is. I don't see any other developer following up on Hitman 2016, so all you can do is sit on on it for a decade and and then sell it off for pennies.

People voted with their wallets. It didn't take.

Sure but people also voted for Trump. Just means people are stupid,

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It makes me wonder about the plans for season 2. Will they be allowed to do them or are they gonna be replaced?

I hope Sega buys them along with the IP so it stays on steam. Having Microsoft or Sony buy them would be a disaster if it's console only or windows store exclusive.

You do realize the IPs stay with SE right? Only the devs are gonna be sold.

swarley64

If anyone were to buy IOI, they would likely push to get the Hitman IP too, right? Without that series the studio has a much lower value...

Top Bottom