• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's insane sales targets for Tomb Raider, Hitman, & Sleeping Dogs revealed

5 million for Hitman? 6 million for Tomb Raider? What were they thinking?

Every publisher hoping they have a GTA, Assassin's Creed, or Call of Duty is going to kill "AAA" gaming. Ridiculous expectations.

stryke

Someone at SE needs to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital because these numbers are borderline delusional.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I don't know if that Conan Video Game review helped Hitman or Hurt it

It sure was a fucking classic

MechaX

Someone at SE needs to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital because these numbers are borderline delusional.

Those Hitman targets are not borderline, they are flat out lunatic. Hell, has any video game in the history of forever spontaneously double like that between releases?

Coolwhip

Banned
In defense of Square: development of these games started in 2007-2008 right? The sky was the limit for games back then.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Those Hitman targets are not borderline, they are flat out lunatic. Hell, has any video game in the history of forever spontaneously double like that between releases?

Yes, but they're extremely rare.

Think Call of Duty 4 or Bad Company 2 for examples however.

GraveRobberX

Hell, has any video game in the history of forever spontaneously double like that between releases?

Assassin Creed III?

It sold like 12 Million copies, I know Revelations didn't sell that much or even half that

I still have no clue how the fuck they hit 12Mil

(If I'm mistaken with the # I apologize in advance, but I think that is what it was up to)

In defense of Square: development of these games started in 2007-2008 right? The sky was the limit for games back then.

4-5 Year Game development for all 3 titles?

Wat?

I think SE saw Deus Ex HR perform well and maybe surprised them and they though they could catch lightning in a bottle thrice, also known as the Nintendo way

Derrick01

Banned
I know you hate Tomb Raider, but it and Sleeping Dogs are some of the best games I've played in the last 9 months.

Never played Hitman, didn't even know a new one was coming. I've heard all about how much it sucks. At least the graphics are good for the screenshot threads.

Funny enough it's probably the worst game I've played in the last 9 months. It deserves...almost as much failure as Hitman does.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Assassin Creed III?

It sold like 12 Million copies, I know Revelations didn't sell that much or even half that

I still have no clue how the fuck they hit 12Mil

(If I'm mistaken with the # I apologize in advance, but I think that is what it was up to)
Assassin's Creed 1 did do 9 million and AC2 did 10 million though.

That said, I think the 12 million was still ahead of expectations since Ubisoft is sane.

ascii42

GTA III, Mario Kart Wii, and CoD4 did far better than double, I believe.

Certainly not something to count on. GTA III did it buy being something completely new. Mario Kart Wii did it by being on the most successful Nintendo console. CoD 4 is probably an example of what they were hoping for, a lightning in a bottle type occurence.

Grief.exe

Okay here are the previous sales for the franchises. Were I to make expectations for my financial projections, I would probably - at most optimistic - add one million to the previous entry.

sef1wnjl8.jpg

sef20tjzo.jpg

How did Human Revolution do?

5 million for hitman? That alone tells me that square-enix is operating in a fucking bubble rather than reality. No one, literally no one, not a single person on the planet fucking earth other than them would think that.

DLC's have their own budgets too, you know

It wasn't like content ripped out from Sleeping Dogs and sold piecemeal

Yeah, but month after month with micro expansions?

They didn't seem to flop.

Hell, even United Front sounded happy...

Eidos sounds happy also...

Square Japan in another hand...

GraveRobberX

Assassin's Creed 1 did do 9 million and AC2 did 10 million though.

That said, I think the 12 million was still ahead of expectations since Ubisoft is sane.

Yeah but Brotherhood and Revelations started the downward trend/cycle

Usually there's a slight bump from a decline on a refresh for the franchise, III was a fucking Moonshot!

bluemax

Banned
I think they expected to sell like a million copies of GoL in Europe alone. Their sales expectations have been insane for years.

akaoni

Banned
A dramatic shift of tone from the resignation thread...

"I liked these games and they sold well at bomba price, they weren't the problem! [Something about Final Fantasy]"

I only played Tomb Raider a bit but from what I had seen of all three it was very clear the budget that went into these games had to be relatively high, though they did skimp out on the full Sleeping Dogs budget, I wonder if that's why it was lowest.

Sissel

Funny enough it's probably the worst game I've played in the last 9 months. It deserves...almost as much failure as Hitman does.
Even if you didn't like it, CD put a TON of work and care into Tomb Raider. It in no way deserved failure of any kind. Not to mention a lot of people loved it.

Almighty

So they were hoping that every game would more or less double the previous games sales. What were they smoking? Did the success of DXHR(which according to that chart did do just that) go to their heads? I am hoping this is more of a "we would like to hit" then "we have to hit" kind of thing. It seems foolish to count on a game doing twice as good as its predecessor. Even more so when it has been many years between games in some cases.

Eusis

2.18 million at last count.

Might be a bit higher now.
Maybe they were expecting similar jumps for their other IPs, but it's a lot easier to add a million than it is 2-3 million. Especially when Deus Ex comes after Bioshock was pretty popular AND is serving an underserved audience (especially considering the direction Bioshock Infinite took) while being in better shape on consoles than prior entries.

Incidentally, I was going to mention MM2 as possibly a game that had such an explosive jump over the prequel, and last I checked that was 2 million.
Even if you didn't like it, CD put a TON of work and care into Tomb Raider. It in no way deserved failure of any kind. Not to mention a lot of people loved it.
Well, I haven't played TR but arguably even if you put a lot of effort into something, if it's just more of the same as before than it probably doesn't really deserve wild success on that alone. Not that I'll find out until it's $10 in a Steam sale or whatever.

By the way, does it have a lot of wave based enemy encounter design? After Bioshock Infinite I'm sort of sick of that now.

You say this as if people putting a lot of work and care into a thing they're working on is rare.

Derrick01

Banned

I really don't care how much work they put into making a game that almost plays itself. We like to talk about how much we want AAA games to change, well the change only has a chance of happening if these games bomb. Even if it's a small chance.

Eusis

I feel they need to fire a lot more people than Wada at the top.
Seriously, Wada was undoubtedly at least somewhat problematic but it takes more than one person to make these kinds of fuckups.
I really don't care how much work they put into making a game that almost plays itself. We like to talk about how much we want AAA games to change, well the change only has a chance of happening if these games bomb. Even if it's a small chance.
Yeah, seconding this. Unfortunately there must be sacrificial lambs if we're to see change there, though at this rate it looks like we need a mountain of them for them to take the hint.

... No wonder so many studios have been shutting down as of late. :/
who? Out of curiosity.
I don't think any of us have a clear idea of who, and most likely if we're to just pick names that've shown up a lot we'd be getting the wrong people. There's people up there that are making these estimates on what the games will sell it, and they seem to grossly overestimate many games no matter how unrealistic expectations are, just look at my example of Chrono Trigger. That was underwhelming for them IIRC, and that sold HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of copies. That's really damn good for a PORT period, nevermind a SNES port on DS around when piracy was starting to go wild.

kpjolee

OMG at Hitman numbers. I don't blame them to expect those kind of numbers for Tomb Raider given its track record but Hitman was never that popular to hit that kind of sales number.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Anyone who had a fair share of impact into their pit of despair direction, and definitely their financial planners on the consumer games sections.

Putting in the same people minus the public face isn't going to help.

Their board consists of their high end Japanese executives, so if they just put those people back under a different person, it's going to be the same lunacy.

I said it in another thread, but who the hell are the analysts that are telling them these games can move that many copies?
You could take a free poll on gaf and get a better idea how these games would have done than the crazy salary some mystic soothsayer has swindled Squeenix for these ridiculous numbers.

Top Bottom