• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square's Ian Livingstone talks next-gen; hints at always-on, used game-blocking Xbox

Hoo-doo

Banned
It looks like used games on PS4 are getting behind a paywall. And Sony is going to try to push streaming, which means you have to be always online. Not the same, but close.

How did you come to this conclusion? You think it'll be a PS+ exclusive feature? Why?

Rafy

If they announce this at the unveiling I am sure they will not get an applause so they should immediately move on to another subject.Some might even "boo" them (depends on how rude they are)

EDIT : I am talking about the used games part.

Microsoft is already off to a bad start with me, I don't like their attitude. But this would definitely 100% engrave my single system purchase is stone.

Bollocks

oh MS
qxFs1.gif

btkadams

If they announce this at the unveiling I am sure they will not get an applause so they should immediately move on to another subject.Some might even "boo" them (depends on how rude they are)
People booed at Sony's E3 conference when they said the 3G Vita would be exclusive to AT&T. This will get boos.

Not in the UK. We're still technically in recession, people can't afford games. Killing the used market without significantly decreasing the prices of games will cause the next xbox to fail.

I wouldn't say it would completely fail but it would completely annihilate their under 18 market.

If they're going for this broader appeal with Kinect, it really would be counter-productive.

The fact that he's making a public statement about it kind of suggests he doesn't actually know anything. I can't imagine him leaking something like that knowing for sure that it was true and extremely NDA'd.

Also, I'll eat a (money)hat if MS is explicit about this in their Durango debut. And they'll be non-committal about their options when asked by the press.

ironcreed

Banned

EDIT : I am talking about the used games part.

It's something I don't think they would even discuss at the reveal. We would just hear about it via articles/interviews.

Let's say Microsoft blocks used games and Sony doesn't.

What stops third parties with multiplatform releases from putting online activation codes to play the game in to every new copy on the PS4? Unless Sony establishes licensing rules about that, there's nothing they can do to stop it.

While activation codes are shitty, it´s still better and cheaper than no used games. Besides activation codes have been real for a while now. I don´t expect that to stop.

If PS4 allows used games and 720 blocks them, but 720 gets Battlefield 4, GTA VI, and COD 2013 exclusively, I'm not sure MS is going to be losing this battle, matter of fact, I think they would be winning.

Sony stated that anything that would prevent used games would be based on publisher preference. They're side-stepping the issue. If you want to get mad, get mad at the publisher. I highly doubt exclusivity would be granted on mandatory use of a system-wide no used games policy.

Microsoft wouldn't do this, they dont care about used game sales, they don't even have online passes for their first party games.

Sony seems more likely to do this since they already enforce online passes for their first party titles and they really can't afford the losses from used game sales.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Here's what I fear: if NextBox truly have a way to block used games on a system level and the PS4 doesn't, publishers will find a way to achieve it differently on the latter. Simplest example being online passes that aren't available on the PSN store. The reasoning is that a step as daring and drastic as this signify a serious, coordinated push from publishers that I hardly believe one platform holder was spared of.

And *if* I end up being wrong and the PS4 is truly spared of this idiocy, I expect stronger relations between MS and 3rd parties *especially* if sales aren't greatly I impacted by it and general public just deals with it.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I hate to say it but I'm not going to lose any sleep over no used games being able to be sold forward.. If I can take my profile to a friends with the disc and play it'll be ok with me.

I rarely sell my games because I buy the must haves of the year, I probably would not want to sell them anyway.

If it brings even cheaper dlc and launch prices I'm not against it but I have a neutral stance on this matter.. I don't mind either way.

Here's what I fear: if NextBox truly have a way to block used games on a system level and the PS4 doesn't, publishers will find a way to achieve it differently on the latter. Simplest example being online passes that aren't available on the PSN store. The reasoning is that a step as daring and drastic as this signify a serious, coordinated push from publishers that I hardly believe one platform holder was spared of.

And *if* I end up being wrong and the PS4 is truly spared of this idiocy, I expect stronger relations between MS and 3rd parties *especially* if sales aren't greatly I impacted by it and general public just deals with it.

Sony already has the technology. I'm not going to go searching for links, but it was well talked about.

Goldrusher

Interesting how Sony is already using this technology:

81vaU3IjiOL._SL250_.jpg
91RHVupIy6L._SL250_.jpg
914efmUCvuL._SL250_.jpg

Once you've claimed your Vita-copy - there is no code - the actual disc is tied to your account:

redeemed.jpg

KingJ2002

If Microsoft goes along with this... no matter how many Halo's are released... no one will care about the next xbox if they can't play used titles.

ironcreed

Banned
-Some guy from Eidos speculates on something.
-It's presented as proof of what MS is doing next gen.

Cool!

What I think is troubling is that this is not the first we have heard of this. Even EDGE said this is what the nextbox is doing, and they also pretty much nailed the PS4 reveal. I am of course going to wait and see, but it is not something I like hearing from multiple sources now.

Coolwhip

Banned
If Microsoft goes along with this... no matter how many Halo's are released... no one will care about the next xbox if they can't play used titles.

I personally never sold a game or bought a used game. So it doesn't affect people like me. I have a feeling used games are most popular in the US, since you have Gamestop.

Well if this is the case, despite really enjoying the original Xbox and 360, built up a decent Gamerscore, I'm out. All these rumours about this console, I haven't heard a positive one yet, something's up.

Would used game-blocking be so bad if the MSRP of new games dropped?

It probably wouldn't happen, but I wouldn't mind not being able to buy used copies if new games were cheaper.

Elios83

Microsoft wouldn't do this, they dont care about used game sales, they don't even have online passes for their first party games.

Sony seems more likely to do this since they already enforce online passes for their first party titles and they really can't afford the losses from used game sales.

Have you missed the fact that Sony has already announced their position last week? :D
Sony won't block used games at a system level AND the console won't be required to be online to play games.
BUT if a publisher wants to block used games and ship them with activation codes they will allow that.
Sony is not against used games but they're leaving the option (and the responsibility) to the individual publishers.
So people suggesting that anti-used companies will be closer or even exclusive to MS are totally missing the facts (notwithstading that no one can afford to develop a big project just for a single console in this age).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Like I said in the other thread, I'm sure it was considered, but I don't see them going along with it.

both consoles are technically able to do it.
It's PC like DRM and authenicication but on consoles.

whether they both decide to do it is another matter, no idea

Proxy

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81vaU3IjiOL._SL250_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91RHVupIy6L._SL250_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/914efmUCvuL._SL250_.jpg

Once you've claimed your Vita-copy - there is no code - the actual disc is tied to your account:

[url]http://support.us.playstation.com/euf/assets/KCimages/kbid_3823/redeemed.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]

Except you can still sell your disc and it works on other PS3s. A far cry from rendering the disc worthless.

Simzyy

I really don't this MS are stupid enough to do this...but there are alot of rumours saying they will...

Surely not?

Have you missed the fact that Sony has already announced their position last week? :D
Sony won't block used games at a system level AND the console won't be required to be online to play games.
BUT if a publisher wants to block used games and ship them with activation codes they will allow that.
Sony is not against used games but they're leaving the option (and the responsibility) to the individual publishers.
So people suggesting that anti-used companies will be closer or even exclusive to MS are totally missing the facts (notwithstading that no one can afford to develop a big project just for a single console in this age).

Not taking any bets on EA

abadguy

Banned
What I think is troubling is that this is not the first we have heard of this. Even EDGE said this is what the nextbox is doing, and they also pretty much nailed the PS4 reveal. I am of course going to wait and see, but it is not something I like hearing from multiple sources now.

And what if he is just speculating based on what Edge wrote like everyone else? It's just odd to me that a company that in the past hasn't taken any strong anti used games stance all of a sudden not only does so, but in the most drastic and frankly boneheaded fashion. ( Since this would kill them in a lot of markets outside the US. Not to mention it goes against MS's so called philosophy of appealing to "casuals" who are more likely to sell off old games for new ones. ) Makes little sense when they could just as easily utilize online passes like Sony. Guess we will see soon if MS is indeed stupid enough to do such a thing.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Sony doesn't use peer-to-peer generally for it's online network (like MS does) so there is that additional cost to them, so charging online passes makes sense for them that way. They do not block you from playing your single player experience (if bought used), but if you want to go online and use their servers, you'll unlock that with a pass.

I hadn't factored in dedicated servers and I accept that it's probably unfair to group Sony with EA in this case. Unlike Sony, EA do use online passes with single player games eg. off the top of my head, Kingdoms of Amalur, Saboteur and Rage have all had single player content attached to online passes (with expiration dates too). Admittedly that is not blocking the entire game as is being proposed here but it is still an early indicator that EA would very much be behind this proposition. In other words, I don't trust them at all.

81vaU3IjiOL._SL250_.jpg
91RHVupIy6L._SL250_.jpg
914efmUCvuL._SL250_.jpg

redeemed.jpg

Maybe that's how Sony is going to do it for used games, as soon as you buy your new copy of the game, it'll register with your account/console. If you sell it to gamestop and someone else buys it, that copy will already have been registered and you will be required to go online and get a fresh new activation copy. If you won't need to be online to verify that the copy is not new, then maybe part of the disc is RW? I'm not sure how they would do it if you can be offline. Otherwise a game like Skyrim, or people that never play online games, would be able to bypass this, and I'm not sure Sony wants that.

MS seems like they will just block used games altogether and if your 720 is not online, you won't be able to play anything.

Seems like Sony and MS will just have different strategies to achieve the same ultimate goal of pleasing publishers (and themselves as well).

Except you can still sell your disc and it works on other PS3s. A far cry from rendering the disc worthless.

Beta testing for next generation, like MS is doing with smartglass.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Sony already has the technology. I'm not going to go searching for links, but it was well talked about.
Oh, I'm fully aware of what you're referring to, it's just that after the recent reveal and subsequent interviews, some execs (namely Yoshida) gave the impression that it won't be utilized... Albeit in an uncharacteristically evasive way, which further fueled my doubts.

With the confirmation that the PS 4 doesn`t require always online i couldn`t care less what MS is doing now.

As a xbox 1 and 360 launch buyer i`m dissatisfied with MS since 2009, and i already know i will go with the Sony this round. They will give me the most powerfull hardware, no anti consumer shit and the best first party output ... so bye bye MS and hello Sony.

And don`t worry Alan Wake 2, my PC will welcome you in the future. It will just take a little bit longer until we can become friends.

ironcreed

Banned
And what if he is just speculating based on what Edge wrote like everyone else? It's just odd to me that a company that in the past hasn't taken any strong anti used games stance in the past all of a sudden not only does so, but in the most drastic and frankly boneheaded fashion. ( Since this would kill them in a lot of markets outside the US) Makes little sense when they could just as easily utilize online passes like Sony. Guess we will see soon if MS is indeed stupid enough to do such a thing.

I am hoping this is the case. It's just troubling to keep hearing it, especially since the leaks on PS4 were so accurate. But at any rate, yes, we will know soon enough.

Elios83

Not taking any bets on EA

But there's nothing to bet.
Ea has just announced that Battlefield 4 will be on PS4, it will be amazing and bla bla.
If Ea wants to block their games, they can do it, they have the option. But they can't force all the other people to do the same. That is Sony's stance and imo is the most reasonable one.

FStop7

Banned
If true...

Will pubs risk losing sales entirely by not releasing games for the PS4 if Durango blocks used games? Will they try to mitigate their perceived losses by making major releases timed exclusives for Durango? Or will they snap out of their creepy obsession over used game sales?

PopeReal

Wii U and PS4 this gen for me if this is true. Figure I will wait for PS4 till a nice bundle comes out down the road, until then my Wii U is making me happy.

Micorosoft might be crazy enough to go ahead and do it.

I believe this was debunked in an earlier thread? Or rather, that this will be no worse than current online passes?

Yoshida's statement that you can play used on PS4 was part of a clumsily translated exchange, so I'm not 100% confident about Sony's stance just yet.

Well, if they do indeed go this route then it just confirms that my relationship with Xbox will be over. I'll still enjoy my library on my 360 of course, but they can take a hike with this shit. It's quite troubling that we keep hearing this.

Me too, it's that important to me. I've never owned a Playstation console but I'll certainly be hopping ship if that means I can still swap, trade-in and borrow games.

Almost certain that PS4 and the next xbox are going to have similar systems of allowing publishers to block user games for their respective titles.

How is it major developers know barely anything about the next Xbox? That or they meaning that it really is true and they are just playing dumb pretending all they know is what they read like everyone else.

abadguy

Banned
Wii U and PS4 this gen for me if this is true. Figure I will wait for PS4 till a nice bundle comes out down the road, until then my Wii U is making me happy.

Micorosoft might be crazy enough to go ahead and do it.

Crazy? More like stupid. Seeing no upside to them doing something like that whatsoever.

Elios83

I believe this was debunked in an earlier thread? Or rather, that this will be no worse than current online passes?

Yoshida's statement that you can play used on PS4 was part of a clumsily translated exchange, so I'm not 100% confident about Sony's stance just yet.

No he clearly said that at a system level they won't block used games and it won't be always online.
But publishers are given freedom over this, so they can't talk for everyone, if someone wants to ship their games with activation codes they will be able to do it.

Top Bottom