• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square's Ian Livingstone talks next-gen; hints at always-on, used game-blocking Xbox

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
He could easily just be citing the same rumours we've all heard, rather than contributing something new.

EA was not there for Sony event, today Sony removed Criterion from their list of devs working on PS4. Could it be that EA is the publisher pushing for this? Could sony lose FIFA, Madden, etc?

EA exec comments suggest they're unsure of the merits of the idea. EA was also on the slide and list of supporting publishers. Supposedly they weren't at the conference because they weren't ready to show new (original) IP, and Sony was prioritising third parties who were.

Tratorn

Microsoft is smart. They're telling the publishers they'll block used games if they get some exclusives for that.
After the backslash from consumers they'll release a fw-update to remove it and then advertise all their exclusive games.
:D

Moobabe

Microsoft is smart. They're telling the publishers they'll block used games if they get some exclusives for that.
After the backslash from consumers they'll release a fw-update to remove it and then advertise all their exclusive games.

That sounds horrifically shady.

I just can't see them doing this after Sony is doing none of those things.
This is the company that convinced people that P2P online play should be paid for, and that we should let them add in advertisements, too. Set your expectations low, I say, and then be pleasantly surprised if it turns out wrong.

Crazy? More like stupid. Seeing no upside to them doing something like that whatsoever.

No upside for gamers. But publishers will be salivating at the thought of stopping you being able to lend a game to your friend, or trade a used game in for cash. I'm sure they're pushing hard for these kinds of restrictions.

Tratorn

EA exec comments suggest they're unsure of the merits of the idea. EA was also on the slide and list of supporting publishers. Supposedly they weren't at the conference because they weren't ready to show new (original) IP, and Sony was prioritising third parties who were.

Do you have a source for that? I was disappointed that they didn't show BF4 and thought they'd have a deal with MS.

He could easily just be citing the same rumours we've all heard, rather than contributing something new.

I would have loved to have seen EA there just to know they were on board too. I'm sure they are, but I don't think the excuse that "there was nothing to show" works since most of the two hours was dedicated to nothing-to-show. I mean, shit, Square literally showed an old video and said nothing of any consequence other than "E3". Capcom showed a CGI video with a fake UI slapped on it and tried to pass it off as gameplay.

Wii U and PS4 this gen for me if this is true. Figure I will wait for PS4 till a nice bundle comes out down the road, until then my Wii U is making me happy.

Micorosoft might be crazy enough to go ahead and do it.

It's odd you praise Nintendo yet take a shot at Microsoft. Nintendo is the most anti-consumer company of them all. Demo limits and all purchases tied to your hardware instead of to you. Your indignation is selective.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Do you have a source for that? I was disappointed that they didn't show BF4 and thought they'd have a deal with MS.

I don't have a link, it was twitter chatter from an attendee IIRC.

I would have loved to have seen EA there just to know they were on board too. I'm sure they are, but I don't think the excuse that "there was nothing to show" works since most of the two hours was dedicated to nothing-to-show. I mean, shit, Square literally showed an old video and said nothing of any consequence other than "E3". Capcom showed a CGI video with a fake UI slapped on it and tried to pass it off as gameplay.

True, but it was a new IP announcement, or at least was being billed as such (Deep Down). Ubisoft showed an original IP (Watch Dogs). Activision brought Destiny (along with Diablo - which wasn't new, but communicated a significance of bringing over a long-time PC exclusive dev). Square was the only third party exception, and I think the reason they made that exception was because of the profile of the Luminous Engine.

abadguy

Banned
No upside for gamers. But publishers will be salivating at the thought of stopping you being able to lend a game to your friend, or trade a used game in for cash. I'm sure they're pushing hard for these kinds of restrictions.

If gamers feel there is no upside to it, then they won't be buying the console. Again i have to mention the so called "casuals" that MS are supposedly trying to appeal to, trade at Gamestop as much if not more than the so called "hardcore" not to mention rent. So wouldn't such a move actually be counterproductive to what they are attempting to achieve?

I personally never sold a game or bought a used game. So it doesn't affect people like me. I have a feeling used games are most popular in the US, since you have Gamestop.

It would be completely naive to think used games aren't huge. Don't think of just how it can affect you, they have their important uses.

Rent games
Borrow games from friends/let friends borrow
Trade in games and use money towards new games

It would be completely naive to think used games aren't huge. Don't think of just how it can affect you, they have their important uses.

Rent games

Yet PC gaming is apparently flourishing. As is mobile, where you can't sell, trade, or borrow games. Consumers are obviously OK with the concept.

So basically, MS is releasing an under-powered, kinect focused, entertainment box that won't play used games, needs to always be online and is geared towards an all encompassing, expensive alternative to Apple TV and the like.

Either the execs at MS have lost their minds or we are missing some key parts of this puzzle.

Content support is my guess.

Interfectum

So basically, MS is releasing an under-powered, kinect focused, entertainment box that won't play used games, needs to always be online and is geared towards an all encompassing, expensive alternative to Apple TV and the like.

Either the execs at MS have lost their minds or we are missing some key parts of this puzzle.

Ensoul

I am almost hoping that Microsoft blocks used games. Makes my decision easier as to what next gen system to buy. This is assuming of course that the ps4 used games are not behind some expensive paywall.

AHA-Lambda

I don't have a link, it was twitter chatter from an attendee IIRC.

True, but it was a new IP announcement, or at least was being billed as such (Deep Down). Ubisoft showed an original IP (Watch Dogs). Activision brought Destiny (along with Diablo - which wasn't new, but communicated a significance of bringing over a long-time PC exclusive dev). Square was the only third party exception, and I think the reason they made that exception was because of the profile of the Luminous Engine.

Good to know EA have no new IP then -_-

Could be either of those.

Moobabe

Yet PC gaming is apparently flourishing. As is mobile, where you can't sell, trade, or borrow games. Consumers are obviously OK with the concept.

PC games are £10 cheaper in the UK their console counterparts and iOS games pretty much all cost sub £5 - I don't see your point. The naivety of some people regarding used games is laughable.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
He can say this without getting into trouble with MS by throwing in the "supposedly", since its the same stuff Edge reported. But it's pretty obvious the Life President of Eidos wouldn't even bring those points up if they weren't true...
I get the sense he is probably pretty divorced from day-to-day industry stuff and only hears hearsay about this stuff.

Waste of time if the market votes with their wallet.

JimiNutz

Banned
The used game stuff doesn't really bother me at all. I don't sell my games anymore nor do I really buy second hand.

What does concern me is the always online. If my internet is down can I not play my xbox?

LTWheels

"Supposedly"

If he knows it is true he won't be able to make that comment, even using 'supposedly' to justify it. Or else you could break every NDA that way.

Therefore it means that: he has no knowledge at all if it is true or false, or that it is false.
If it was true, he wouldn't say that comment.

If gamers feel there is no upside to it, then they won't be buying the console. Again i have to mention the so called "casuals" that MS are supposedly trying to appeal to, trade at Gamestop as much if not more than the so called "hardcore" not to mention rent. So wouldn't such a move actually be counterproductive to what they are attempting to achieve?

Oh absolutely, I think Microsoft would be extremely foolish to pursue this. I think they'd actually run into legal problems as well in Europe.

I know this gets dragged up in most threads about used games but the principle of exhaustion is a fundamental aspect of intellectual property law. Essentially, if I buy something, it's mine. I own it, and I can sell it if I wish.

Now, with software, the question is what are you actually buying? Just a licence to use the game? Well, even if that's true a recent decision states that principle of exhaustion still applies according to the Court of Justice of the European Union.

PC games are £10 cheaper in the UK their console counterparts and iOS games pretty much all cost sub £5 - I don't see your point. The naivety of some people regarding used games is laughable.

And mobile games are a dollar, yet PC games that are 40+ more dollars continue to sell. Tell me again about naivety.

There is no way MS is that damn stupid.

I just can't fathom their direction if true.

How can you not fathom it? It's in practice all over the place already. Successfully.

Rent games

In Japan they are big business, maybe even more so than the west.

Moobabe

And mobile games are a dollar, yet PC games that are 40+ more dollars continue to sell. Tell me again about naivety.

You talk like someone who has absolutely no idea, or have some sort of vested interest in Microsoft.

People rent games. How popular are services like Gamefly? People also trade in games; it gives them money which they then spend on other games. I work in games retail and see it every single day, and see figures for my region which back it up. People save thousands of pounds by doing it - it's no "small" feature.

In Japan they are big business, maybe even more so than the west.

Seems I'm not alone.

If Microsoft wants peoples discs to be worthless after entering one console, they damn well better prevent another red ring of death debacle.

This situation with always online Nextbox, EA, and shit like that is getting out of hand.

It'll be pretty funny if EA Sports become a MS exclusive publisher; talk about shooting yourself in the foot; next gen they can sell 10 copies of Fifa in Europe.

I prefer that Microsoft takes this stance with next Xbox. I don't game on that console, but they're in a commanding spot with the current fanfare they experience, so they have the ability to make the most noise doing so. Let them make go ahead this with move, rationalize it, defend it and attempt to convert doubters.

abadguy

Banned
Oh absolutely, I think Microsoft would be extremely foolish to pursue this. I think they'd actually run into legal problems as well in Europe.

I know this gets dragged up in most threads about used games but the principle of exhaustion is a fundamental aspect of intellectual property law. Essentially, if I buy something, it's mine. I own it, and I can sell it if I wish.

Now, with software, the question is what are you actually buying? Just a licence to use the game? Well, even if that's true a recent decision states that principle of exhaustion still applies according to the Court of Justice of the European Union.

Yeah i hear that a lot, and that's another good point. Europe. I though MS was trying to sell well in that market, why employ something that would kill just about any chance of it?

PopeReal

It's odd you praise Nintendo yet take a shot at Microsoft. Nintendo is the most anti-consumer company of them all. Demo limits and all purchases tied to your hardware instead of to you. Your indignation is selective.

I didn't mean it as a shot at Microsoft. I meant that now we have another source saying that this could be true. It seems crazy to me, but we will see if they do it and then how it will work out. I wasn't praising Nintendo in anyway other than saying I am enjoying the Wii U. Nintendo makes lots of mistakes.

Meelow

Banned

Well to be fair, the demo limits are the devs/pubs choices, a few 3DS demos don't have limits.

I won't say anything about purchases tied to hardware though.

But in my opinion making people pay for online in 2013 is a huge no for me.

And if this is true it's making it worse.

Top Bottom