• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square's Ian Livingstone talks next-gen; hints at always-on, used game-blocking Xbox

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Actually, it would really suck, because I have a massive XBLA collection and I fucking hate Sony controllers (yet I've bought every system they've released until the Vita, and I'm buying one of those this week).

I know this may sound stupid, 3rd party controllers?

Hell I bought an Airflow controller which mimics the 360 style for $10 from Best Buy sale

Works nicely as a back up sometimes

The cool air is an added bonus!

Hopefully PS4 gets 3rd Party controllers to alleviate the situation

Can someone tell me what are the true benefits of always being Online?

How can they say , "Yes, no connection, no gaming", even MS knows shit isn't perfect 99.9% of the time, there is always that .1% to fuck you over

Ok, lets say MS goes through with this and Sony doesn't.

Won't publishers/developers TRY to make the Xbox "win"? Maybe not every developer, but lets say Bethesda wants used games to die. If they want used games to die, they can put a timed exclusive on their next game, maybe just full out exclusive for the 720. Then Activision also wants it to die. So they put the next Cod title as exclusive on the 720.

So now PS4 doesn't have a couple of games. Joe-Shmoe sees the 720 has all these amazing games which the PS4 doesn't. So he buys the 720. PS4 can't compete because blockbuster titles are coming out for the 720 and not the PS4.

Yeah, Neogaf would have a shitstorm.

But does Neogaf matter in the grand scheme of things?

Only saving grace for the PS4 in that scenario would be if Gamestop, hurt by the death of used games on the 720, decides that "fuck it, we are not going to sell 720 games at all", and really push the PS4. Not sure if they would do that, or if Gamestop has the clout to sway the console wars.

I'm assuming used games are Gamestops bread and butter and would be on the verge of death if they lost that.

Publishers need consumers vastly more than consumers need publishers.

If they try that shit, just don't buy their games anymore.

You would be amazed how easy it is to forfeit those AAA marketing fuelled blockbusters in favour of the 7-8/10 flawed gems.

Zephyrus

Banned
Reading some posts in this thread... it seems like a lot of people in GAF want this to become true.

I honestly do.

Boy, do I want to see Microsoft crash and burn.

Particularly because, other than online gaming (and even that has it's pros and cons), I do believe that every single damn thing microsoft introduced in the previous gen, is cancerous.

Don't share my opinion on it? Kudos for each and everyone of you.

Wait, this could *really* happen? Even after the Sony event?

I would've thought/hoped that they would be scrambling to reverse anything/everything they could once they found out Sony wasn't doing it.

The fanboy in me is kinda laughing at Microsoft's monumental screw up, but the side of me that really cares in me fears the precedent this could set.

FStop7

Banned
According to Jeff Gerstmann of Giantbomb, the "behind-the-scenes" developer talk isn't very positive on Durango. Apparently Microsoft have become increasingly difficult to work with, reminiscent of a pre-PS3 Sony. I don't think Microsoft can afford to lose developer support.

It wouldn't surprise me if this were true. Microsoft gets into these horrible cycles in which a successful product's next iteration is strangled by internal politics, conflicting ideas being shoehorned in, etc. And it goes without saying there is a problem of arrogance.

This only makes sense if MS is being backed by Publishers. Some sort of exclusives would have to be in play, otherwise this is mental.

Microsoft is throwing gamers under the bus lol

If that's the case though, fuck those publishers too. I'm not buying their games.

Well of course you wouldn't be buying their games. But it would be a pretty standard business decision, I don't see anything questionable about it. They are free to put their products where they choose so.

Ding-Ding

Well, it may not be confirmation but with every little article that mentions this, the probability of it being true rises.

Its looking more like a one console generation for me and MS can kiss my wallet goodbye.

If MS pulled the WII U debacle which ties the download Games to 1 console, this will be my last console from this company leads by morons.
MS should step up and spread up the words to calm down people's by saying our next Xbox will not block used games/ no mandatory Internet connection etc..
We will find out in the coming months..
I have so little confident in MS, and take Office 365 as 1 of MS' many stupid decisions.The copy tied on one pc.

BibiMaghoo

It's really very important to make the distinction between tied to account or console.

Tied to a console is fucking disasterous.

Gsak

MS, just... don't
tumblr_lasmpzzeeO1qe0eclo1_r2_500.gif

Espada

Now that I think about it, this makes perfect sense in light of Microsoft's recent decisions and the rumored services/specs of the next Xbox. It seems more like an always online multimedia center with paywalls and publisher-friendly policies all around.

3rd console curse takes another victim. Do you guys really think the president of Eidos who has a studio working on multiple next gen games doesn't know what the system is going to be like? Where there's smoke there is fire, and there has been too much smoke for not to be true at this point. VGleaks pretty much confirmed it with them being on the money with everything else.

The always online is what is bad. Used games i don't care about. Why would you buy used games? Who knows the the previous owner did with it.

Eusis

You would be amazed how easy it is to forfeit those AAA marketing fuelled blockbusters in favour of the 7-8/10 flawed gems.
Nevermind the games that aren't flawed gems but just don't see any need to go with a high budget and be top of the line. See: many DS/3DS games.

Corto

I'm leaning to think that it won't matter a thing, if Microsoft blocks used games. I think they'll get away with it easily. They have users by their Livesticles and they know very well how much they can squeeze before they scare them away. This won't do it still.

I'm leaning to think that it won't matter a thing, if Microsoft blocks used games. I think they'll get away with it easily. They have users by their Livesticles and they know very well how much they can squeeze before they scare them away. This won't do it still.

its not even that,it's ALWAYS ONLINE,i can't even fathom how that will happen. think AC 2 on pc when it had it but for the WHOLE ENTIRE console and Games.

It's just a online subscription not a jail term. The mainstream press will no doubt let the mass market know the situation

"Hey you can't borrow a game from your friend, rent or trade in"

"Wut"

Satchel

Banned
So basically, he heard a rumor like everyone else did.

On the plus side, it means we can have the game installed and won't require the disc in the machine.

phaonaut

I honestly do.

Boy, do I want to see Microsoft crash and burn.

Particularly because, other than online gaming (and even that has it's pros and cons), I do believe that every single damn thing microsoft introduced in the previous gen, is cancerous.

Don't share my opinion on it? Kudos for each and everyone of you.

Like what?

BosSin

The always online is what is bad. Used games i don't care about. Why would you buy used games? Who knows the the previous owner did with it.
Don't you ever borrow games from friends? Or are you stinking rich?

It's a you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours situation. Your friend buys DmC, you buy MGS: Rising

Hmm. I honestly don't mind having good reason to not invest in one console , but hopefully all this stuff pans out to not be true .

Don't you ever borrow games from friends? Or are you stinking rich?

It's a you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours situation. Your friend buys DmC, you buy MGS: Rising

lol no i dont do that. also i just wait for price drops which actually happen pretty quick.

nib95

Banned
Why would you buy a game and then sell it? Seems like a waste of money to me when you can save and rent instead.

Lol, what if you want to keep it for a few weeks, or even months? Like an online game or something. I very rarely buy used games (except as gifts for cousins, relatives etc just for the hell of it), but I do lend my games to friends/relatives quite often, a lot of them are young, got given consoles as gifts and can't really afford many games.

Respawn

Banned
Even worse. Who would buy the console if it locks used games?
You underestimate the purchasing consumer. So many have said this machine is locked down hard. I have a feeling its going to do some fantastic things that will soften the blow on not being able to play used games.

Top Bottom