• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

I have never played a SSX game or any other snowboard game but I am kinda hyped for this. SEN update where art thou? Demo, make me buying the full game. Do it, do it.

Curufinwe

I didn't think I'll ever best you guys in the race, but I'm sitting at the top of my leader board in Trick with 16.4M on Bulldog.

The developers made combining the entire run look easy. It is fucking hard. The combo cooldown timer is crazy short compared to previous games. You basically need to always be tricking. Even 4 seconds from landing to the next kicker will snap your streak. Thank god for nose/tail presses. I have been trying to full combo Bulldog in an attempt to best Batty's 35M run but I just can't do it. The flat part leading up to the damn is a bitch.

Which controls are you using? I feel like doing nose/tail presses is easier with classic controls since you just press the right stick up or down.

2UuRn.png

LaneDS

I don't see how my brain could accept the new controls after seeing that image. The classic ones are too ingrained for me to considering playing SSX without heavy use of the shoulder buttons.

I don't see how my brain could accept the new controls after seeing that image. The classic ones are too ingrained for me to considering playing SSX without heavy use of the shoulder buttons.

Same with me, that's why I skipped the tutorial and went to settings to change the controls to classic.

Just added all of the NA gaffers on the PS3 list. So now my friends list is massive. RiderNet is already cool with the 4 people I have on Xbox. This will be massive.

Suairyu

Banned
Those classic controls don't seem very classic SSX to me. A button to grind? It was always automatic.

Also I better be able to freely switch between dpad and analogue controls while in classic. Everybody knows you carve with the analogue stick but do tricks with the dpad.

Which controls are you using? I feel like doing nose/tail presses is easier with classic controls since you just press the right stick up or down.

2UuRn.png

I'm using the new button controls. Presses are easy just press X or B.

But this is on Xbox. I'm getting the PS3 version and I'm going to try classic on that.

Those classic controls don't seem very classic SSX to me at all. A button to grind? It was always automatic.

The grinding that requires a button is only for the natural objects that are newly grindable. You automatically grind things like bars and pipes. There are some areas with raised mounds of snow that you have to press a button to grind on.

LaneDS

Those classic controls don't seem very classic SSX to me. A button to grind? It was always automatic.

Also I better be able to freely switch between dpad and analogue controls while in classic. Everybody knows you carve with the analogue stick but do tricks with the dpad.

I thought I was going crazy when I saw people talking about holding a button to grind as I was pretty convinced it never required one in the past. Is winding up for spins and flips with the d-pad still something you can do?

Suairyu

Banned
The grinding that requires a button is only for the natural objects that are newly grindable. You automatically grind things like bars and pipes. There are some areas with raised mounds of snow that you have to press a button to grind on.
Hhhmmm okay I'll wait for the demo OH GOD WHERE IS THE DEMO?!

ALSO 360 PEOPLE - can you freely switch between dpad and analogue stick when using classic controls? This is important.

JaseMath

WTF...why? Some are automatic and some aren't? I wonder what the reason behind this is.

ALSO 360 PEOPLE - can you freely switch between dpad and analogue stick when using classic controls? This is important.
^^^THIS. I always switch back and forth between tricks and riding.

Tokubetsu

Push it to the limit, and never stop believing you guys. Anything is possible. The world is yours.

cGkcd.jpg

I'll see you next week Net_Wrecker:
lLApg.jpg

My eyes maybe bleeding.

oh man, I want this so bad.... but ME3........

Goddamit

Edit; I am sooooooooooooo glad they scrapped that Deadly Descents crap.

Curufinwe

When I played it at lunch, after holding A I switched to the D-pad to wind up for jumps because that's how I played SSX 3. So you can do that.

But I don't think I actually tried to control Zoe with the D-pad outside of that.

So for those with the demo, do you get popups during races about how your buddies are doing? I can see that getting real annoying. Not so bad if it's just between races.

So for those with the demo, do you get popups during races about how your buddies are doing? I can see that getting real annoying. Not so bad if it's just between races.

Nope, but you do see their ghosts go flying by you.

*edit* Actually you do get messages on the screen about how you're doing relative to the other ghosts in the race. I'm not a fan of that.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I know one of the older games had this ancient form of MP on it, but it will be interesting to do some SSX runs with other people, even if there isn't any "contact" between racers.

This game is just as hype as Tricky.

Got the demo for 360 but will buy for PS3, want dat Mt. Fuji.

Few games make me grin and laugh like this one does, so glorious.

Well ill just wait until the game hits and then I'll get a 12-month XBL gold from ebay for $32... fucking Gold Exclusive Demo bullshit.

soultron

Banned
Looking great. Definitely picking this guy up Day 1. :)

And to think how far we've come...

My first post in that thread:

soultron said:
God you guys are so negative. Wait for previews before you shit on this one.

I'm hyped. There aren't a tonne of decent snowboarding games out there these days (last one I played was Amped3) so this is very much welcome. If the look is well-executed and not too overbearing, I'll be quite pleased.

If I want the old SSX, I'll go back and play those games. They're still around and are dirt cheap.

Haha. Shit.

AEREC

Wasnt too impressed with the demo on the 360...Image Quality wasnt that great for me. Ill try the PS3 demo when that comes out since thats the version I was leaning towards anyways. I also couldn't get into he controls... but Ill give it some more time.

Got 23mil on my first run in one big combo. Then I kept trying to get close to it(for 2 hours), the closest I've gotten is 20mil which is basically,
you do a 10mil run and then at the end, the trick combo bonus is around 10-13mil (which I guess this is how I did the 23 one).

As I keep playing, it the game kinda guides you so you land correctly. One of the most obvious moments I had is when on the ice path to the dam,
I did a flip and stalled in mid-air but didn't crash and auto-corrected. I'm guessing the trick to a high score is more toward doing constant tricks rather than hitting stuff.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think they said if you let go with enough time the rider will auto level to land. Making it so we have fewer wipes and more flow to the game.

Top Bottom