• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia to close its game studios

Redlancet

Banned
Oh crap.
Been a subscriber since day 1. Granted I only scooped up the free games, never bought anything else, but it’s no doubt the best streaming tech I’ve tried by far. Geforce Now gets close because of PC hardware but stumbles on 2FA login jank, queues and stability. Xcloud is the worst, quantity over quality.
Stadia works, and works very well, Geforce now its pretty good, even better in some Ways but as you said the login process its pretty cumbersome, psnow works well too, xcloud its a hit and miss the worst of the three by far, and its strange because all the bragging about azure Microsoft was doing

SJRB

Gold Member
Let's be real here, Phil probably knew Stadia was fucked from the start just like everyone else but he made a boatload of money anyway. Those Google pockets are DEEP.

Dr.Morris79

eT5LSgo.gif

[Sigma]

Going to text my brother like:
200.gif

Sucks tho for those devs. Poor Jade Raymond can't catch a break. Maybe she should call Sony and see if she can get something started there lol.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Nothing of value was lost
Anyone who signed up to work for Google Stadia should have worked in generous employment contracts knowing the fickle mind of Google
It was a bad business model and sets a bad precedent so I'm glad it failed
Now the big worry is Google, or a drunk toddler with a gun and unlimited funds, is likely going to try and buy their way to victory and fuck up everything they touch along the way

ShadowLag

Can't wait for the service itself to disappear too. Tired of me-too pretender mega corporations with their cringey marketing money-hatting everyone and don't actually give a fuck about and/or don't know the first thing about gaming. There are some things money can't buy, indeed.

Remember Amazon's battle arena hero shooter or whatever the fuck it was? Yeah, me neither.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Jade is getting screwed everywhere. Didn't EA cancel her Star Wars project there as well?
Not really, Jade was more in the executive side of things back at EA, so she was among the group who decided to pull the plug on Amy Hennig's game.

Blond

Banned
Man I was really looking forward to seeing what Jade Raymond could do again but that Woman can’t catch a break.

Blond

Banned
Didn’t they announce something big was coming as well? 😂
No kidding. I knew stadia was dead when they decided to give away a Chromecast ultra and Stadia controller with Cyberpunk 2077. So cool, 140 dollars of free shit with the cost of a mediocre open world game doesn’t scream of the same desperation of “Get a free Dreamcast and 4 games with Seganet!” God I’m really showing my age with that comparison LOL

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Probably the first casualty of MS purchase of Zenimax, because let's face it, a major competitor in the streaming space spending $7.5b on studio acquisitions would have left Stadia's management thinking how worthless having a mere couple of nascent studios in their ecosystem really is. And a reminder to Google that trying to get into this line was going to involve a lot more investment than they might be comfortable with.

nikolino840

Isn't too soon? Why so hurry? Need time to make money and spend money at the same time,look at the Xbox division..seems that Google haven't even tryed

They shut down Hangouts???!?

Oh, Stadia? Unexpected.

Isn't too soon? Why so hurry? Need time to make money and spend money at the same time,look at the Xbox division..seems that Google haven't even tryed
Google seems to have a fetish for making products/apps/services, selling them to people, and then abruptly shutting them down. It's practically a meme now.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
they're giving up dude, the fuck you're talking about? lol
They aren't shutting down Stadia. They are shutting down their own studios, that had yet to release a game anyways.

Having games streamed to any screen is the future of this industry, and we’ll continue to invest in Stadia and its underlying platform to provide the best cloud gaming experience for our partners and the gaming community.

What does this mean if you're a current or future Stadia gamer? You can continue playing all your games on Stadia and Stadia Pro, and we’ll continue to bring new titles from third parties to the platform.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Oh crap.
Been a subscriber since day 1. Granted I only scooped up the free games, never bought anything else, but it’s no doubt the best streaming tech I’ve tried by far. Geforce Now gets close because of PC hardware but stumbles on 2FA login jank, queues and stability. Xcloud is the worst, quantity over quality.
Yeah, ditto here. I played through Risk of Rain 2 recently and had no issues with Stadia. Going to play journey to the savage planet next. I have it on EGS but never touched it.

Trogdor1123

They aren't shutting down Stadia. They are shutting down their own studios, that had yet to release a game anyways.

Dude, you can't actually believe that can you? It's dead, or soon to be. If it wasn't they would still be building games. They don't see a way they can make money back on the investment in 150 people... You think they are going to invest anything in it more?

K' Dash

do you really believe that after what just happened people will continue to sub or buy games on that platform?

I guess you're in the denial phase.

IntentionalPun

Dude, you can't actually believe that can you? It's dead, or soon to be. If it wasn't they would still be building games. They don't see a way they can make money back on the investment in 150 people... You think they are going to invest anything in it more?
Yes I can absolutely believe that.

You can buy exclusivity for far cheaper than you can build; particularly when you literally have zero experience making games.

IntentionalPun

do you really believe that after what just happened people will continue to sub or buy games on that platform?

I guess you're in the denial phase.

They have the following games known to be in development:

- The Stadia port of Journey to the Savage Planet, which they are still releasing

Sorry, that's the list. They didn't even announce they were making their own games until shortly before Stadia was out lol

They formed a studio and were likely only in early "pre-development" stages, aside from the Stadia port from Typhoon.

And they can buy exclusivity far more easily than they can build it.. this opens up 100's of millions of dollars for them to spend on exclusivity.

You are the one in denial IMO.

Last edited:

Banned
Yeah, ditto here. I played through Risk of Rain 2 recently and had no issues with Stadia. Going to play journey to the savage planet next. I have it on EGS but never touched it.

so why not play it through the epic game store then???

waquzy

They have the following games known to be in development:

- The Stadia port of Journey to the Savage Planet, which they are still releasing

Sorry, that's the list. They didn't even announce they were making their own games until shortly before Stadia was out lol

They formed a studio and were likely only in early "pre-development" stages, aside from the Stadia port from Typhoon.

And they can buy exclusivity far more easily than they can build it.. this opens up 100's of millions of dollars for them to spend on exclusivity.

You are the one in denial IMO.

Rat Rage

OH WOW, HOW UNEXPECTED!

This is what I wrote in the Stadia thread from summer 2020 ( june 20, 2020 )

imagine being a billion dollar company with employees having the highest education on the planet making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and STILL having no clue as to how the video game market works, a.k.a "one does not just enter the video game market without having highly attractive exclusive software". The videogame market of the last 30+ years has shown that dozens of dozens of times with all the failed consoles and handhelds. You can't get more naive than Google.

On the other hand, if you have this much money, maybe thinking isn't even neccessary anymore. You just go for any idea that "sounds good".

Yo, GOOGLE, hire me. I have a brain.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
so why not play it through the epic game store then???
Well...convivence I guess. I have 4 pc rigs all over the house/office but it isn't a game I want to sit down at one of them to play. I will treat it like I treated Risk of Rain 2. Not a game I am going to spend time on but if I can chill on the couch with my phone while other people are playing games or watching stuff on the TV's, it will be enough for me to get some enjoyment out of the game.

Last edited:

Banned
Well...convivence I guess. I have 4 pc rigs all over the house/office but it isn't a game I want to sit down at one of them to play. I will treat it like I treated Risk of Rain 2. Not a game I am going to spend time on but if I can chill on the couch with my phone while other people are playing games or watching stuff on the TV's, it will be enough for me to get some enjoyment out of the game.

you got 4 PCs and not one is connected to a TV? see that's where your first mistake lies :)

I got only oney and I even have it connected to a TV (through a 15m HDMI cable lol)
pair that with a DualSense that is set up to act as a mouse (either through the touchpad or the gyro) and you got yourselves some nice PC on TV action :)

Fredrik

Stadia works, and works very well, Geforce now its pretty good, even better in some Ways but as you said the login process its pretty cumbersome, psnow works well too, xcloud its a hit and miss the worst of the three by far, and its strange because all the bragging about azure Microsoft was doing
Xcloud fails because it’s just not ready. Xbox One S hardware. 720p. Can’t play on a TV unless you side load it on a Shield or something. It deserves no hype as far as I’m concerned, I don’t care that there are lots of games available through Gamepass, I have no interest playing XB1 versions in 2021.

Geforce Now has the best hardware, I think it’s RTX 30xx based now, just tried Control and it can max out everything at 1080p with DLSS including Raytracing at what seems like 60fps. Actually felt really stable now as well, only an occasional stutter. Last time I used it was on Cyberpunk and the servers were probably full then, so the real issue now is the 2FA login madness. The UI is fine on shield but as soon as you start a game you have to login and use authenticators etc, I can use my phone as a trackpad but it’s super janky

SSfox

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
you got 4 PCs and not one is connected to a TV? see that's where your first mistake lies
Oh sweet summer child.

They are all connected to monitors, TV's and projectors.

If I am in the main room room of the house and there is a game/show/twitch on one of the TV's and someone is playing on the wall or the other TV I will play it on my phone. The games I play on those streaming services are not ones I would give my full attention to, I should have phrased it that way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom