• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STALKER: Clear Sky - review thread

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Well I've heard of people not being able to advance from the area after the swamp, not to mention constant crashes at other parts of the game. I'm sure if people managed to review the game, it's ok to play on, but personally I don't want to play anymore, I'd rather start over than get near the end and get some crash that means I have to start over then.

dLMN8R

I pre-ordered the game on Steam so I'll be playing it this weekend whenever it's done downloading.

Damn, between this, Spore, and Crysis Warhead, I don't think I'll see the sun for a week outside of traveling between work and home :lol

Vaporak

Chiggs said:
The lack of discussion about this game is very odd. Did the game not get a wide release in NA today? I picked mine up at Gamestop. Is everyone going the Steam route?

Steam says I don't get my copy for another four days.

Blizzard

Banned
Chiggs said:
I'm pretty surprised at the stability of the game so far. No crashes or shadow glitches or anything. Pretty solid. But holy hell, this game is a memory hog. Remember the Army Warehouses and surrounding area in the first game? Remember the insane amount of memory that would eat? I think we're in similar waters with Clear Sky.

I preordered on Steam for the lower price. I'll be waiting for a few more stability patches it looks like. But man, you say it eats memory? 4GB on Vista is enough, right? >_> I could always get 4GB more for like $64...

The upside for me is that I'm about to put together my computer parts, and I'll have the first STALKER to play through first. Oh, and I kinda want to play Half-life 2 again after the whole Large Hadron Collider thing...but I haven't played episodes one and two, which should be awesome on a good video card...oh, and I'm highly considering buying the $15 original Half-life collection to play FIRST, any opinions on that?

:lol

Too bad I'm at work constantly.

bee

tHoMNZ said:
the russians paid full price to beta test for GSC :lol

yup but in russia full price is $10-15

i learnt my lesson with the last one, im not buying it until theres at least like 4 patches and a couple of decent mods. stalker 1.0 and a fully patched/modded stalker are way way different games

Chiggs

Gold Member
Blizzard said:
4GB on Vista is enough, right?

Yeah, you're golden.

The upside for me is that I'm about to put together my computer parts, and I'll have the first STALKER to play through first. Oh, and I kinda want to play Half-life 2 again after the whole Large Hadron Collider thing...but I haven't played episodes one and two, which should be awesome on a good video card...oh, and I'm highly considering buying the $15 original Half-life collection to play FIRST, any opinions on that?

Honestly, it's pretty hard to make it through the original Half-Life. Graphics are really, well, it was released in late 97, so that should tell you something.

Half Life 2 and it's episodes are phenomenal. Definitely play though those and STALKER.

Chiggs

Gold Member
So, I've been playing for a few hours now, and all I can say is...wow. I was initially worried when I read some of the reviews, but not anymore. Clear Sky is a damn worthy follow up, and some of the complaints I just don't get. At all. But whatever...that's generally the nature of reviews.

Anyway, here are some pics I took of the earlier part of the game (no spoilers). The lighting can be absolutely jaw-dropping at times.

And holy shit at the swamp. It's soooooo huge, and really chaotic. When you first go out there, shit really hits the fan--it's monsters and bandits and factions oh my! And they're all going crazy. In fact, you get so many calls for help it's overwhelming at times. And the fucking anomalies! Argh! The swamp is so damn deadly. You can be running your ass off, avoiding mutants and gunfire and plowing through tall reeds and BAM--right into an anomaly.

Also, just for the record, I'm now playing at 1680 by 1050 and the framerate is good.

Edit: Guns feel a little tighter, too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
And holy shit at the swamp. It's soooooo huge, and really chaotic. When you first go out there, shit really hits the fan--it's monsters and bandits and factions oh my! And they're all going crazy. In fact, you get so many calls for help it's overwhelming at times.
That sounds absolutely horrible. That's exactly the kind of shit I hated about the original game. :(

Zenith

Banned
Chiggs said:
So, I've been playing for a few hours now, and all I can say is...wow. I was initially worried when I read some of the reviews, but not anymore. Clear Sky is a damn worthy follow up, and some of the complaints I just don't get. At all. But whatever...that's generally the nature of reviews.

Anyway, here are some pics I took of the earlier part of the game (no spoilers). The lighting can be absolutely jaw-dropping at times.

reviews did say the swamp was the best part of the game.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Blizzard said:
Are your links right? For some reason I can't see the large versions of those pictures. Also, what OS are you running?

Vista. And they're just thumbnail links from Image Venue.

Chiggs

Gold Member
dark10x said:
That sounds absolutely horrible. That's exactly the kind of shit I hated about the original game. :(

Having read some of your complaints before about Stalker, it's safe to say Clear Sky won't change your mind.

bee said:
found this funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGDOyzzRQ3k

keep on recommending sli people, its sooo smooth!

I wouldn't have used Clear Sky to demonstrate micro-stuttering, because Clear Sky stutters on its own, anyway.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Chiggs said:
Having read some of your complaints before about Stalker, it's safe to say Clear Sky won't change your mind.
I had a feeling that would be the case and it's really disappointing. As I've said countless times, there are so many things I LOVE about the game world they designed. It's so appealing to me (exploring abandoned sites is actually a real life hobby of mine too :p). That's why I've tried to enjoy the game upwards of six different times.

I wish there was a mod that removed most of the enemies or something. :p Seriously, the game would work so much better for me if they didn't have entire armies rushing you with poorly designed AI.

I wouldn't have used Clear Sky to demonstrate micro-stuttering, because Clear Sky stutters on its own, anyway.
Ha, I forgot about that issue as well. I still have that odd problem where looking at fire causes the original STALKER to start stuttering a bit (no HDD access like stuttering, but just framerate jumps) despite the fact that FRAPS will continue to report 60 fps. That also drove me nuts.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Some more thoughts:

Difficulty: The game is harder. If you thought the first was hard, this one is all that and more. Make sure you quick save.

The supposed dumbing down of the game was grossly overstated. It's not that bad, but, yes, the God-PDA is a little odd. I do like seeing where all the bandits are, especially in the swamp where it's hard to spot them. Just rest easy: exploration is still a big part of this game.

Day-to-Night: Awesome, especially with the new lighting. The swamp at night is very creepy. Atmosphere is pure dread.

Underground sections: Not as many as the first, but I know there is at least one biggie.

No Dual or Quad Core support? I really hope this gets addressed by a patch or a community mod. The performance is decent enough, but it could be so much more.

Scipius

The full changelog:
Change Log for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky Patch 1.5.04

Added
- added stamina indicator to HUD.
- added ability to move ammo from the container to the inventory and back by double-clicking.
- added game autosave after intro cut scene.
- added items to secret locations in the Swamps level.
- added ability for the Duty technician to upgrade exoskeletons.
- added ability for the Freedom technician to upgrade AC-96/2.

Changed
- increase the amount of money the Bandit faction trader has.
- considerably increased the likelihood of getting a “return item” job at the Cordon, Agroprom and Military Warehouses.
- removed machine gunner and sniper invulnerability at the Deserted Hospital level.
- during emissions the player no longer loses control if he is in cover.
- increased monster vulnerability to grenades.
- fixed ammo and armor prices.

Fixed
- fixed error related to a large number of ammo in crates in camps, which caused a crash due to excessive identifiers.
- fixed error which damaged save game files after switching between them in the loading menu, which caused various random errors while playing.
- fixed error which caused the Bandit faction trader to take money from the player for completing the “Take over the flea market together with the bandits” job, instead of giving him money.
- fixed error which prevented the main mission from appearing in the Limansk level if the player entered it from the Red Forest level before completing the “Help Clear Sky capture the bridge” job.
- fixed error which caused the situation during the “Help Clear Sky capture the bridge” job to be saved incorrectly.
- fixed error which caused a crash during the conversation with the Freedom squad leader near the mercenary base.
- fixed an incorrect patrol route at the Military Warehouses level, which caused crashes.
- fixed error in the Freedom leader dialogue, which caused a crash if the player, having brought back the dead squad’s PDA, closed the dialogue window early and then reinitiated the dialogue.
- fixed error in the mugging scene which caused a crash.
- fixed error which caused the Freedom technician to not take his friend’s PDA on job completion.
- fixed error which prevented the “Talk to Wild Napr” job from being completed if the diggers had already been freed from the concentration camp.
- fixed error at the Cordon level which allowed the machine gun to continue firing, even after the machine gunner had been killed.
- fixed error which caused a crash at the entrance to the Dark Valley level.
- fixed error at the Dark Valley level which caused a crash if the tunnel at the mercenary base was blown up prematurely.
- fixed several random crash errors.
- fixed some errors in the Faction War.
- fixed error which caused squads to leave control points.
- fixed error which caused a crash when attempting to load the last saved game if there were no saved games.
- fixed error which caused a crash when attempting to throw away a weapon twice using the “Throw away weapon” button with an open inventory.
- fixed error which caused premature activation of level-to-level passages.
- fixed error which prevented the “Kill blind dogs” job from being completed if the digger killed the dogs himself.
- fixed error which made it possible to complete jobs to deliver items even if there weren’t as many items as needed, causing a crash.
- fixed error which caused a crash if all members of a squad which gave the player a job died.
- fixed frequent server and client crashes in the multiplayer.
- fixed error which caused weapon mods to disappear if weapons were left at a considerable distance away from the player.
- fixed error which prevented the message informing the player that he is leaving the crow shooting area from disappearing.
- fixed some errors related to emissions, including crash errors.

eXistor

I hope this patch works for me. I downloaded the first patch tonight and my game didn't even start up. Runs fine without the patch.

randomwab

Just completed the Swamps and moved on to Cordon. Loving it so far, the squad dynamic has made for some amazing firefights. I just need to get back into the habit of remembering to save myself.

Chiggs

Gold Member
randomwab said:
Just completed the Swamps and moved on to Cordon. Loving it so far, the squad dynamic has made for some amazing firefights. I just need to get back into the habit of remembering to save myself.

That firefight at the end of the swamp, the last base you capture, was pretty big. I saw close to twenty bandits piling out of the building and said "crap."

jet1911

Just bought the game (installing it now). Any patch or mod I should download to improve performances before I start playing?

Broseybrose

i hope this plays well @1920x1200 on my 8800GTX. this will probably be the first game (besides crysis) that i cant run max settings. hopefully disabling grass shadows or something will do the trick.

eXistor

Broseybrose said:
i hope this plays well @1920x1200 on my 8800GTX. this will probably be the first game (besides crysis) that i cant run max settings. hopefully disabling grass shadows or something will do the trick.

I have the same videocard (and Q6600 Quad core) and I'm playing on 1920x1080 with enhanced full dynamic lighting and max detail. I had to disable the sunrays though, your framerate really takes a hit with that. So I think you should be fine. I think I'll put Infinite Undiscovery on hold for now and start playing Clear Sky instead.

Broseybrose

eXistor said:
I have the same videocard (and Q6600 Quad core) and I'm playing on 1920x1080 with enhanced full dynamic lighting and max detail. I had to disable the sunrays though, your framerate really takes a hit with that. So I think you should be fine. I think I'll put Infinite Undiscovery on hold for now and start playing Clear Sky instead.

great news. thank you.

Chiggs

Gold Member
It doesn't explicitly state this in the change logs, but I think the new patch brings slightly better performance.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Jesus, the lighting in this game just has to be seen to be believed. I think it's more impressive than Crysis in terms of both lighting and texturing.

rod

Banned
god those screens look average. and thats whats supposed to bring current-gen cards to theyre knees? :/

also are you running any AA?

Blizzard

Banned
Chiggs said:
Jesus, the lighting in this game just has to be seen to be believed. I think it's more impressive than Crysis in terms of both lighting and texturing.

Yeah, clouds are nifty, lighting looks promising, but shadows are iffy, and the jaggies (especially the power lines) are annoying. I'll have to see how it plays in motion...

This game is locked as the number 1 top seller on Steam. That is quite cool.

I'll probably order it soon.

I just hope the combat is improved enough for me to enjoy it, as I really had problems with the first one.

Chiggs

Gold Member
rod said:
god those screens look average. and thats whats supposed to bring current-gen cards to theyre knees? :/

Seeing it in motion is something else. The sun rays are phenomenal, and the volumetric smoke is just amazing. No, AA, though. Can't get it to work after the new patch. I don't feel it's bringing my GTX 260 to its knees, either.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Blizzard said:
Yeah, clouds are nifty, lighting looks promising, but shadows are iffy, and the jaggies (especially the power lines) are annoying. I'll have to see how it plays in motion...

The jaggies I can't do anything about. But the shadows look iffy? I assure you they are beautiful in-game.

Blizzard

Banned
Chiggs said:
Seeing it in motion is something else. The sun rays are phenomenal, and the volumetric smoke is just amazing. No, AA, though. Can't get it to work after the new patch. I don't feel it's bringing my GTX 260 to its knees, either.

Wait, the new patch broke AA? >_> Good thing I'll be waiting a little longer to install. :lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
STALKER STALKER STALKER!

Awesome depth of field effects

WET! (looks cooler in motion than it does in screens, especially on the mine cart)

Lighting! Filters!

One of the coolest parts of the game so far was when I was repelling a zombie horde at Yantar. Sun was setting behind the hill, and I watched as the entire valley was cast in a shadow, with muzzle bursts lighting up like fireflies (one of the above shots sort of captures it.)

Other thoughts

1. Upgrade your weapons asap, or you are pretty much fucked. I've found this to be harder than S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

2. Game is longer than I thought it would be. Lots of missions, and the faction stuff is great.

3. Underground stuff has been somewhat trimmed, but it's still in there so don't get too disappointed.

4. Love the guide/fast travel feature, but the prices are a little expensive the further you get in the game.

5. Blow outs are fun.

6. Muggings - This can happen a number of times depending on which way you enter certain maps. I fought back against one with a hail of grenades, but another time it seemed to be story-related, and I was left to dash across a hostile area with no weapons or armor to the safety of my Duty brethern.

7. Bigger firefights in general.

8. Make sure you explore and hunt for artifacts! Some people have talked about how linear the game is, but I have to disagree. And the artifacts fetch a real nice price and will help you afford that exoskeleton you've had your eye on.

9. Dogs - far more deadly and obnoxious than the first one. Fuck, are they killers this time around. And the pseudo-dogs! Argh!

10. Don't be surprised when you have to fight ten snorks at once. Just saying. :(

11. Dynamic music. Sort of cool the first twenty times, then it becomes annoying. Still, the music is well done. Can detract from the atmosphere, though.

12. AA is not broken. I was dicking around with my user file and broke it, but it's good now.

13. Even with the new patch, game can be somewhat buggy. Protip: do not search bodies when the storyline is advanced with PDA/radio chat.

14. Strelok is an asshole.

15. Nights are really dark.

16. Do not pause the game to fuck with DX10 settings, then go back in. There's a good chance graphical corruption will strike. You need to restart.

17. Finding the DX10 mode to be too sluggish? Drop the settings down to the Enhanced Dynamic Lighting mode. All the great sun rays and stuff, but with better performance. Downside is that you lose wet surfaces and volumetric smoke.

Chiggs

Gold Member
dLMN8R said:
Thanks for the updates, Chiggs. Have you found that the patches addressed any of your complaints?

Yeah, the patch is a must. I was telling Dark10X that the game overwhelms you with missions and objectives when you reach the swamp, but that's no longer the case. Also, prior to the patch, whenever I took a screenshot, the system froze for a second. That's fixed as well. Still a little buggy, though.

Bottom line: Get the patch.

Bottom'er line: I like this game quite a bit and the mod scene should be pretty cool. If there is a total conversion to introduce Clear Sky maps into Stalker, and visa versa, we're looking at something pretty amazing. I think it can be done, too.

dLMN8R

oh for sure I'll get them - I preordered on Steam so I won't have a choice.

I'm glad to hear that though. The game is beautiful, but seeing as I have an 8800GT, I won't be maxing the game out. Do you think you could check out the game at detail levels closer to the original? I'm wondering if, even turned down, the game still retains some of the new stuff.

Chiggs

Gold Member
dLMN8R said:
oh for sure I'll get them - I preordered on Steam so I won't have a choice.

I'm glad to hear that though. The game is beautiful, but seeing as I have an 8800GT, I won't be maxing the game out. Do you think you could check out the game at detail levels closer to the original? I'm wondering if, even turned down, the game still retains some of the new stuff.

I did an edit to my other post -- check this out:

17. Finding the DX10 mode to be too sluggish? Drop the settings down to the Enhanced Dynamic Lighting mode. All the great sun rays and stuff, but with better performance. Downside is that you lose wet surfaces and volumetric smoke.

You could also remove soft water and soft particles for an additional boost.

dLMN8R

ah cool. My machine is kinda odd in that my 8800GT is pretty heavily bottlenecked by my very dated opteron 165 w/PC3200 ram, so I guess I'll have to wait and see for myself how it runs. Just a couple more days now :D

One more thing - the dynamic music is optional, right? I believe I remember reading that somewhere...just want to make sure.

Chiggs

Gold Member
dLMN8R said:
One more thing - the dynamic music is optional, right? I believe I remember reading that somewhere...just want to make sure.

Yeah, it's optional. I don't know, you might want to give it a shot just to see how you like it. It made me smile a few times. On one occasion I was stumbling through the swamp when I found myself in the position of watching as a gang of 12 bandits were sneaking towards a Clear Sky encampment. All of sudden, this techno starts building to a crest and then goes full force as I open fire.

Sort of cool. Sort of cheesy. Sort of annoying the more you hear it.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
damnit, I really enjoyed Stalker but I couldn't finish the game. and now this looks effin' great.. I really need to finish stalker.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Some more screens:

Light Rays: (in screens, nice; in motion, even better)

Catching a bandit by surprise:

Nights in Clear Sky...dark:

Top Bottom