• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Lol, what does the heavy armour look like? XD

Probably something as bulky as.....

659771elite3dstarcitizencharacterpose.jpg

Geist-

I disagree, mainly because this looks a bit more realistic.

The regular armor looked like it would be use for Space Paintball...IMHO

I don't know if it's more realistic, but I will say that it looks more fitting for a sci-fi military. As you said, the previous armor looks like something for paintball.

SpaceMarine.jpg

No but I feel like heavy armor should be an exo-suit. The medium is already pretty damn bulky.
I think it would be cool if they made a sci-fi version of the CoD Juggernaut armor:

MW3_Juggernauts.jpg

The heavy armor just needs to be bulkier, a neckguard would do wonders for a visually distinctive difference between heavy and medium.

Got a GTX 1070 on the way, going to redownload and see how much of an improvement it is from a 7850, haven't played in about 4-5 months so I'm curious to see what's different.

Geist-

Got a GTX 1070 on the way, going to redownload and see how much of an improvement it is from a 7850, haven't played in about 4-5 months so I'm curious to see what's different.
Check Arena Commander first. You're probably still going to have bad performance in Crusader.

Check Arena Commander first. You're probably still going to have bad performance in Crusader.

Yea as someone with a 1070 coming from a 970 it didn't improve my performance in Crusader at all. It's entirely server based issues. Which has me concerned for what they plan to do with the servers. Have they talked about it? About server and net code improvements coming?

Yea as someone with a 1070 coming from a 970 it didn't improve my performance in Crusader at all. It's entirely server based issues. Which has me concerned for what they plan to do with the servers. Have they talked about it? About server and net code improvements coming?

I'll check Arena Commander for sure, I expected the servers to still be an issue.

I disagree, mainly because this looks a bit more realistic.

The regular armor looked like it would be use for Space Paintball...IMHO

For a heavy armor maybe but if we were talking realism, weight and efficiency vs storage is a commodity as much as protection. For reference:

Identifiable under suit and plating, so it looks more "realistic" something a soldier can store with little space and provide enough flexibility for different load outs and roles.

Actual body armor (which you can see the top takes inspiration from):

102745-004-AB935713.jpg

Which has the same principals as the previous armor which can be outfitted for different roles and has the plating and under suit.

New one is

Which IMO looks far more out of place from a professional military that is supposed to be middle of the road from specialized light and heavy armor. So no it doesn't really look more realistic at all

Geist-

Ya, people having been asking about it for a long time. I believe the timeline is that a network refactor should be coming in an upcoming patch (maybe 2.6 or 2.7).

They talk about some technical details in this Subscribers RtV.

Which IMO looks far more out of place from a professional military that is supposed to be middle of the road from specialized light and heavy armor. So no it doesn't really look more realistic at all

I must say this looks realistic for a "Space" outfit.

Weight might not be as much of a concern as actual range of movement and protection from things regular soldiers on earth may have to worry about. From radiation, 2.5 Kelvin temp of the vacuum, Laser based weapons, ancillary thrusters, possible contained life support systems, space debris moving at high speed, so on and so forth. So yeah the light armor looks like something a merc would wear but the military always provides for soldiers things needed to survive in a warlike environment before worrying about a load out.

Ya, people having been asking about it for a long time. I believe the timeline is that a network refactor should be coming in an upcoming patch (maybe 2.6 or 2.7).

They talk about some technical details in this Subscribers RtV.

Y'know I see it being said constantly but even with my old 980 bad performance was rare for me. Things like the invisibility bug or full landing pads I have encountered more often. I see less of it with the 1080. Maybe I need to play more.

I didn't think I could want 2.7 more than I did.

Watching these No Man Sky playthroughs....I'm dying for a more realistic version of that game....with story.

How many variations have they had for the medium armor? Doesn't seem like they can settle on the right design.

This is the second military version. But stating it like that is like asking why they have so many constellation variants or hornet variants. It is not about settling on design but offering choice. A point strongly made by going into the store in the alpha and seeing the armor and flight suits already on sale.

The Privateer Armor (medium)
latest

Omni Role Combat Armor (medium)(UEE)

The Star Citizen Wikia has the Armor classes descriptions and images. It looks like there will be variation not only between what side of the "law" you are on but more variations within each group. Which is something I have come to expect already from CiG.

some more 4K screenshots resized.

maybe its me but does the lighting and

Nope, it's definitely new lighting.

Much better IMHO.

Alongside new tiled lighting + bloom / flare updates, Arc Corp also got a lighting pass. The shadows no longer clip out and the time of day / lighting set up + use of area lights is radically different.
the distant buildings look different compared to the older versions?
They are using a version (I presume?) of the volumetric fog in CE (probably not the voxel one), which makes the buildings in the distance fade dramatically more than last time. Here you can see the fog shadows (look at the fence area):
https://fat.gfycat.com/GeneralGraciousBufflehead.webm

masterkajo

Can we talk about the inside of the Reliant Kore?
starcitizen_2016_08_1ita3n.png

starcitizen_2016_08_1yhxh7.png

Like... wow

I can't wait. After having been dissapointed a bit with my Cutlass (stil waiting for the redesign. Hope they take their time and make it right) I am happy that my second ship looks gorgeous. As soon as they implement the new patch system so I won't have to download 30gigs every update I am starting playing again.

chifanpoe

I have 8 gb of RAM and a 970, too. I'm also having flickering textures in the current build, but I didn't have them in a build I tried a month or two ago. There were also two or three nvidia drivers released in that timeframe, maybe those broke something.

It is just the game. I have the same thing in all builds of 2.5. I have 32GB of RAM and 2 x 290x each with 4GB of RAM and the newest beta drivers.

The new lighting updates in 2.5 are great. Thanks for posting all the great screens!

Hastati

The feeling of density in the updated city is great. I wonder how often they will be able to maintain that level of quality and detail in other cities? Seems like a massive amount of work.

I still haven't tried that part of the alpha, is it worth checking out in person yet?

Geist-

The feeling of density in the updated city is great. I wonder how often they will be able to maintain that level of quality and detail in other cities? Seems like a massive amount of work.

I still haven't tried that part of the alpha, is it worth checking out in person yet?
It's worth checking out at least once. Not much to do, but it's a beautiful city to explore.

And the key to keeping cities up to this level of quality is probably that there just won't be many in the universe. They already have landing permissions implemented (kind of), so to keep work down they'll probably make cities impossible to get permissions except for a few key planets, like Earth, Terra, and ArcCorp. If you can land on a populated planet, it might just be restricted to a small, template outpost designed specifically to keep dirty, smelly, ugly off-worlders from tainting the rest of their planet.

Zalusithix

It's worth checking out at least once. Not much to do, but it's a beautiful city to explore.

And the key to keeping cities up to this level of quality is probably that there just won't be many in the universe. They already have landing permissions implemented (kind of), so to keep work down they'll probably make cities impossible to get permissions except for a few key planets, like Earth, Terra, and ArcCorp. If you can land on a populated planet, it might just be restricted to a small, template outpost designed specifically to keep dirty, smelly, ugly off-worlders from tainting the rest of their planet.

The workload could also be lowered by making the less predominant/historic cities more generic. Only the major world ports would have a truly unique style and architecture, and the lesser destinations would be built with shared assets. This could be worked into lore with specific architecture/construction firms that have a large presence in the UEE. Create set piece buildings for a number of them, and then randomly mix and match to populate a city. You could make it part of the hauling job even. Buildings could be modular and hauled in pieces by the larger ships. Hell, I'm pretty sure a Hull E could carry a few fully prefabbed buildings. ;)

Top Bottom