• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen loan clarification: it's an advance on their UK game dev tax rebate

You're right but don't waste your time here. The cultists are in full force, Chris Roberts is their guru, some people invested hundreds of dollars in this scam so don't expect they'll listen to you.

Just come back to laugh at them when this ponzi finally implodes, which should happen soon (probably before 2018) with less and less people buying virtual ships and cash burning fast.

So they mortgaged their company for a tax rebate ? It doesn't make sense at all but hey, if the guru said so it must be true.

Did you not read what they said? Collateral is required for a secured loan and it's only to do with Foundary 42, not Star Citizen as a whole. A secured loan gives them low interest rates. The low interest rates on the loan mean it's more financial viable to operate Foundry 42 using that money from the loan rather than transfer money from the US/elsewhere and loose money from currency conversion and similar things, with the tax rebate being used to pay off the loan.

I'd be pretty interested in seeing how many of the 31 points of the test they qualify for in order to get the VGDC. (not because I think they are doing anything illegitimate, but mainly because there seem to be some core ones about the "british-ness" of the game and i'm interested in how a game set across space satisfies the criteria)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You're right but don't waste your time here. The cultists are in full force, Chris Roberts is their guru, some people invested hundreds of dollars in this scam so don't expect they'll listen to you.

Just come back to laugh at them when this ponzi finally implodes, which should happen soon (probably before 2018) with less and less people buying virtual ships and cash burning fast.

So they mortgaged their company for a tax rebate ? It doesn't make sense at all but hey, if the guru said so it must be true. After all, he never lied. Wait... That's what he did from day one.
Why the vitriol? Who in this thread do you suspect has spent hundreds of dollars on this project? Lastly, do you understand anything about UK finances? Because they didn't mortgage their whole company.

The way I see it, the defenders of this game aren't much different from the people who want the game to fail.
What's there to even defend tho? It's a game that's in development, and has been in development for years, is receiving updates, new footage and assets, etc., what exactly is wrong with what they're doing with this game atm?

kobu

Why are there so many people that seem to want this game to fail and never see the light of day?

I don't get it.

Because they have no interest in the game and just want to see some drama. This happens with literally every big game.

atpbx

So they mortgaged their company for a tax rebate ? It doesn't make sense at all but hey, if the guru said so it must be true. After all, he never lied. Wait... That's what he did from day one.

You keep using the phrase "Ponzi Scheme" I don't think it means what you think it means.

tuxfool

Banned

Dude IIRC, you've been predicting the game would fail before X for years now....

At the same time lacking the wherewithal to see the irony of using a Shenmue avatar.

Krisprolls

Banned
Why are there so many people that seem to want this game to fail and never see the light of day?

I don't get it.

They don't want the game to fail (there is no game here so no game will fail), they want to stop fools from giving thousands of dollars to crooks and scammers.

Simply because this money would be better used elsewhere, and each time you give money to crooks, it gives other crooks ideas and after a while all you get is a shitty world.

There are tons of nice devs and games you can give your money to, or humanitary causes. Chris Roberts or Bernard Madoff shouldn't be rewarded with millions of dollars.

xealo

This "game" is a giant fucking ponzi scheme.

You never hear about these "clever accounting tricks" during the course of other big games like Uncharted, Gran Tourismo, FIFA, etc, do you?

Why would CIG even be entitled to a UK government rebate? They are American. Hell, even if they were that rebate may never even appear as it gets axed to cover the brexit bill. And they think they can just take it as a given and walk off with the money a year before payday?

I mean who are CIG really? They come from nowhere, suddenly amass $100m of "crowdfundng" to make a game and 6 years after nothing. Who wants to bet $80m+ of that is fake 1's and 0's whilst the other $20m is real money from poor suckers who fell into the ponzi sheme.

We're going to wake up to bernie madoff 2.0 sometime in the next few years and his name will be whoever the hell really controls CIG. bookmark this post.
Since you seem to be unaware of it, the legal entity that is Foundry 42 that is eligible for this rebate is their UK studio only. Their largest one is operating in Manchester iirc, and it'd be a stretch to call that American.

People are so eager for this game to fail. It's like when they simply updated to a newer version of their engine and it was reported it "Star Citizen scraps engine for new one!!!!".

They don't want the game to fail (there is no game here so no game will fail), they want to stop fools from giving thousands of dollars to crooks and scammers.

Simply because this money would be better used elsewhere, and each time you give money to crooks, it gives other crooks ideas and after a while all you get is a shitty world.

There are tons of nice devs and games you can give your money to, or humanitary causes. Chris Roberts or Bernard Madoff shouldn't be rewarded with millions of dollars.

What are you basing any of this off? You're acting as if the game is non-existent and there's nothing to indicate it's even being worked on. Why would you in any way think they're "crooks and scammers"?

MUnited83

For you.

You know, it would be nice if one of the naysayers actually went to school and learned what the term ponzi scheme actually means.

Dmax3901

kvNM5.gif

From a cash-flow perspective, it actually does make sense although obviously they wont get all the money as the bank will keep some. I guess it depends how much they're getting

The way I see it, the defenders of this game aren't much different from the people who want the game to fail.

Bullshit.

Show me evidence to back up your claim.

Krisprolls

Banned
You keep using the phrase "Ponzi Scheme" I don't think it means what you think it means.

Oh I perfectly know what it means. Star Citizen is a kind of Ponzi Scheme since what you give to the first customers (videos showing features to come which will never actually come) are paid with the money from the new customers (new virtual ships bought).

That's the point in a Ponzi Scheme : you pay the first customers with the money you get from new customers. Here, "paying" is just making them dream with videos and posts. It's not a full Ponzi Scheme, but that's pretty close. Madoff would be proud.

Tagyhag

That's not what a Ponzi Scheme is.

And it's normal to be skeptical, but you outright sound like you want this to fail...

joecanada

It's been said many times before but the amount of time the game has been in development so far is not uncalled for with type of game. It's been what, 4 years? MMOs typically take more than that and that's without them being one of the most ambitious games to date that aims to push the boundaries for immersion and graphics.

My only question to that is ,I agree , but didn't they miss their own deadlines that they themselves set ?

Machina

Banned
Oh I perfectly know what it means. Star Citizen is a kind of Ponzi Scheme since what you give to the first customers (videos showing features to come which will never actually come) are paid with the money from the new customers (new virtual ships bought).

That's the point in a Ponzi Scheme : you pay the first customers with the money you get from new customers. Here, "paying" is just making them dream with videos and posts, but that's pretty close. It's not a full Ponzi Scheme, but that's pretty close. Madoff would be proud.

....The game is real. I've PLAYED it.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

I don't get it.

I think it pretty much comes down to the funding model. Selling ships to have at launch certainly carries some advantage, even if the things can still be attained in game, so the P2W criticism is valid in my opinion.

Once that got started, it carried over to attract people who don't really care about the game and just want to see things crash and burn.

and another L for mr smart.
You'd think it was a L for him but he'll just spin it into something else and believe everything he does in his crazy head.

This response has so many Red flags, I don't even know where to begin. So, right off the top of my head...

Look at the 2016 filing, and it is 100% clear that the tax credits aren't even going to fund 2 months of operations! I wrote an analysis of their 2016 filings which shows the tax credit amounts. Quote: ”They are now taking the tax credits awarded by the government for software companies in the region. For 2016, they took £3.3m ($4.1m) allowance, and with the £3.1m ($3.9m) taken in 2015, brings the total tax credit to £6.4m ($8.1m) thus far. Due to how this is calculated (after expenses), this tax credit adds approximately £6.4m ($8.1m) to the projects P&L calculations.”
Ortwin's statement that they took a loan (we know have an idea of the amounts) against such a SMALL tax credit, should be alarming that they would even need to. If after getting $150m + investor money + loans, you also need to pledge ALL assets for a loan against a measly tax credit, that's a problem.
If this was just about the tax credits, why then is it not the ONLY collateral (p4 Section 4.2.9) listed? Obviously the bank felt it was a RISKY loan because they could fold BEFORE being eligible for the tax credit which isn't due until the Fall. So they secured ALL their assets.
Also, Ortwin is the same guy who has been involved in various venture collapses, and complete loss of investor money; mostly in Germany. I wrote about this in my Money Laundromat blog a few months ago.

He updated his dumb blog post after they released this clarification.

GHG

Because they have no interest in the game and just want to see some drama. This happens with literally every big game.

I know it happens with every other game but this is on a different level. You have people who clearly have no idea what they're talking about pretending to be lawyers and accountants digging for stuff that doesn't exist. You can't help but think that all the time these people dig around for this stuff could be better spent on more productive activities or even spent playing the games they enjoy.

Have you ever stopped to think that these people might be putting money into the game because they genuinely enjoy it? "Nice devs"... Give me a break. People spend their money on what they want to, it's none of your or anybody else's business.

It's just a videogame, you're not going to save the world by stopping people from spending money on it and it ceasing to exist.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
They don't want the game to fail (there is no game here so no game will fail)
What do you call this?, or this?.

they want to stop fools from giving thousands of dollars to crooks and scammers.
Genuinely try substantiating that claim.

This is assuming that everyone considers the devs who're developing the game and providing frequent updates on various features to be crooks...

Crowdfunding a project and crowdfunding humanitarian causes aren't mutually exclusive.

KKRT00

I'd be pretty interested in seeing how many of the 31 points of the test they qualify for in order to get the VGDC. (not because I think they are doing anything illegitimate, but mainly because there seem to be some core ones about the "british-ness" of the game and i'm interested in how a game set across space satisfies the criteria)

They have Gary Oldman and Mark Strong as actors :p

---
Everything is CIG propaganda....i don't get it.

You guys are super transparent. There's skepticism and then what you guys are saying without evidence.
That post was a sarcasm :)

I know it happens with every other game but this is on a different level. You have people who clearly have no idea what they're talking about pretending to be lawyers and accountants digging for stuff that doesn't exist. You can't help but think that all the time these people dig around for this stuff could be better spent on more productive activities or even spent playing the games they enjoy.

Have you ever stopped to think that these people might be putting money into the game because they genuinely enjoy it? "Nice devs"... Give me a break. People spend their money on what they want to, it's none of your or anybody else's business.

Did people forget that gaming is a hobby and people spend a sit ton of money on a bunch of other shit. They don't need. Like action figures and cards and other shit.

Mechazawa

Anyone who feels like arguing krisspolls in good faith should just take a dip into his post history and save themselves a ton of time.

xealo

That's the point in a Ponzi Scheme : you pay the first customers with the money you get from new customers. Here, "paying" is just making them dream with videos and posts. It's not a full Ponzi Scheme, but that's pretty close. Madoff would be proud.

People have said the very same things you are doing here now about patches that did come out in the past. Everything you're predicting here was said about patches like 2.0 prior to rollout. I don't have any good reason to believe it wont happen over the production schedule that's publicly available on their website.

WillyFive

Not gonna comment on whatever the developers of the game are up to, this I've been playing Star Citizen for like a year now. It very obviously exists, not sure why a lot of detractors keep saying as if the game doesn't exist and it's all a ruse. I have criticisms with the gameplay, but it's exactly what it says on the tin; and it constantly keeps getting updated nonstop.

mcrommert

Banned

Is this a meme post replying to a meme post

Someone remind me if this is real life

The whole star citizen thing does have the ring of 'too good to be true' but it seems like people are absolutely desperate to find a smoking gun of some sort and end up embarrassing themselves in the process.

MUnited83

For you.

Might want to take off those crappy glasses then, because "defenders" just state actual facts, while the others do nothing but engage on horrifinly stupid conspiracy theories to try to prove they are right.

inky

Anyone who feels like arguing krisspolls in good faith should just take a dip into his post history and save themselves a ton of time.

LMAO

Jesus, isn't 42 old enough to stop being such a sad fanboy? Fucking hell. I guess 42 is the new 16.

Instro

Amazing amount of shit throwing surrounding this whole project. Not shocking considering it is being circled by Derek Smart and GG cronies.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

You have a fucking shenmue 3 avatar, don't come here calling people cultists.

fireflame

Above 140 millions and virtual shipssold for hundred of dollars make the project questionable, that is only natural. We are in 2017 and the game is not even gold yet so it is normal people have doubts.

Jackpot

Banned
Seems like a good accounting thing to do, and collateral is only limited to the UK studios

I don't get it.

A lot of it is pushback against the messianic zeal of defenders. Like it's goddamned scary how whipped up SC subscribers get.

Chumley

Banned
Elaborate please.

It's two sides of the same coin. People who are literally financially invested in seeing the game succeed will hand wave away every single delay or cause for concern as "the game is so ambitious, of course this will happen" until the end of time.

They're not going to look at this project in a rational light because they're completely committed to the vision, regardless of results or quality. People on the other side are using actual historical examples of why feature creep like this is problematic, and why an untested developer trying to outdo even the biggest AAA companies in the world might not be equipped to do so, and all they get in response is "why do you want it to fail?" or "you don't understand the ambition".

Top Bottom