• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faith

What's exactly wrong with it?
You can't line up your target properly because it's much less sensitive in the center. You have to move your joystick a lot more and when you fell out of the centre there is a huge acceleration because it's back to normal sensitivity.

It feels like it's made for the xbox360 controller.

Keasar

In contrast to before, I am having way more fun with the combat now. With more speed, the g-force blackout risks and the non-auto targeting turrets, it is way more enjoyable.

Now my only complaints are that ships can still have normally a extremely high turn speed (should make that a boost function) and that the camera keeps jumping around a lot when turning, accelerating, boosting, etc. Also using Free Look feels extremely weird with the camera making a slight zoom and popping awkwardly back into place when done.

Other than that, faith restored in Star Citizen again. Still think Elite: Dangerous have slightly sharper combat at the moment but I am glad to see that SC is getting constantly improved.

Tommyhawk

In contrast to before, I am having way more fun with the combat now. With more speed, the g-force blackout risks and the non-auto targeting turrets, it is way more enjoyable.

Now my only complaints are that ships can still have normally a extremely high turn speed (should make that a boost function) and that the camera keeps jumping around a lot when turning, accelerating, boosting, etc. Also using Free Look feels extremely weird with the camera making a slight zoom and popping awkwardly back into place when done.

Other than that, faith restored in Star Citizen again. Still think Elite: Dangerous have slightly sharper combat at the moment but I am glad to see that SC is getting constantly improved.

Same for me.
I'm really having a blast now with AC. The higher speed makes combat much more thrilling and intense and the new targeting system is much much better than the old one.
And the flight model isn't so floaty anymore I can control my ship a lot better now.

I think they are on the right track now with the new flight model and fixed guns/better targeting system.

epmode

You can't line up your target properly because it's much less sensitive in the center. You have to move your joystick a lot more and when you fell out of the centre there is a huge acceleration because it's back to normal sensitivity.

No, it's broken there as well. I'm positive that someone screwed up the sensitivity/deadzone settings. Wait for patch.

Daedardus

No, it's broken there as well. I'm positive that someone screwed up the sensitivity/deadzome settings. Wait for patch.

It's not broken, it's working as intended. They made it so that casuals cannot invade the game since you need to have actual skills.

Irobot82

I use a T-Flight Hotas X and I don't have that issue. I use fine movements for aiming, sometimes I pull too hard and it messes me up. Have you tried switching yaw and roll?

Kaesar and Tommyhawk what ships are you flying?

Okay the Avenger speaks to me, so I'm settling on that one. Is it modeled in game? Is it flyable? Any idea on when it will be? Also what ship do I get for AC?

Daedardus

Okay the Avenger speaks to me, so I'm settling on that one. Is it modeled in game? Is it flyable? Any idea on when it will be? Also what ship do I get for AC?

It's not flyable in game, though the model is near complete. You'll get a 300i as a loaner if I'm not mistaken. Keep in mind that you'll get the Avenger anyway for the Squadron 42 singeplayer.

Gonna agree with the deadzone stuff. I used a controller before this patch, but now fine aiming is impossible with it. Need to move the stick at least halfway to get any movement out of it, and then that movement is always full speed.

Trying to get used to mouse control but in the default setting the range which your look indicator moves compared to how much your ship turns needs to be much much tighter, or at least configurable. The locked/relative Ctrl C setting on the other hand is super jumpy. But these mouse control issues have always been the case. Still, it would be nice if they could get the default/relative mouse control modes working as well as Freelancer/FreeSpace, respectively.

Other than that though, love the speed/targeting changes.

It's not flyable in game, though the model is near complete. You'll get a 300i as a loaner if I'm not mistaken. Keep in mind that you'll get the Avenger anyway for the Squadron 42 singeplayer.

Just for Sqd. 42 or for the full game too? Outside the X50/Hornet (too rich for my blood) and P-52 (non-stand alone). The others don't excite me like the Avenger.

Daedardus

Just for Sqd. 42 or for the full game too? Outside the X50/Hornet (too rich for my blood) and P-52 (non-stand alone). The others don't excite me like the Avenger.

Just for S42. You can always pick an Aurora and earn your way to the top. Although the Avenger isn't a bad choice. But I would get bored of it after flying it around in S42.

Skyzard

Banned
Did they add reverse roll? Currently it's the wrong way round for pedal users.

I hope there are big advancements with the controls at least.

I have to redownload the whole and game (seemingly and then some), some patch error.

19gb, 19 hours.

Irobot82

So I tried striping my Aurora LN's bulldogs and putting them on the Aurora trainer but it doesn't stick in AC. Do I have to buy additional bulldogs to get this to work?

Just tried the update. The dogfighting is really fun now. I can now not only properly aim and shoot the targets, but I can better anticipate their movements. And I now use the afterburner almost exclusively for making hard turns and flips.
The bigger ships and boarding can't get here soon enough. IT WILL BE CRACK.

epmode

I used to use a console command to remove chromatic aberration and motion blur but it no longer works after this patch. Does anyone have a working command or config edit?

Irobot82

I used to use a console command to remove chromatic aberration and motion blur but it no longer works after this patch. Does anyone have a working command or config edit?

r_VSync = 0 Allows rendering to be asynchronous with screen refresh. May cause image tearing.
r_MotionBlur = 0 Turns off the linear-blur effect when moving the camera.
r_ColorGrading = 0 Color Grading is a (very nice) post-processing effect.
r_SSReflections = 0 Creates glossy reflections on surfaces using a technique similar to Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (a powerful shadow shader)
r_HDRBrightLevel = 0 An HDR 'Bloom' effect. Adjustable value.
r_FogShadows = 0 Volumetric shadows, a high-quality soft shadow technique.
e_ShadowsMaxTexRes = 256 One-quarter the normal resolution shadows are rendered at. The lowest value that does not noticeably degrade quality.
e_GsmCache = 1 Tells Cry-Engine it can cache and reuse 'God Rays' (sun shafts) it has rendered.
r_TexMaxAnisotropy = 8 A small improvement on the default Anisotropy value of 4 for Low settings; Anisotropy does not significantly impact performance on last-year's high-performance hardware until a value of 16.
sys_spec_texture = 2 One step higher quality textures. High texture resolution is not expensive below a hardware-specific threshold.

One of these or a combination. I guess you can also make a user.cfg in your CitizenClient folder.

epmode

Yeah, that stuff used to work in the console. Now it no longer recognizes the commands. I'm trying to create a user.cfg file in CitizenClient so we'll see how that goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

edit: Looks like it worked.

Keasar

I use a T-Flight Hotas X and I don't have that issue. I use fine movements for aiming, sometimes I pull too hard and it messes me up. Have you tried switching yaw and roll?

Kaesar and Tommyhawk what ships are you flying?

I have the Super Hornet but since multi-crew is yet to be implemented its the regular Hornet.

Daedardus

I still need to buy a new PC. Damn Intel and their Broadwell delay, now I can better wait for Skylake. And damn nVidia for not bringing out decent new GPUs.

Almost fried my laptop in the new hangar, though it could play the old hangar fine at low and lower resolution. Don't have my DS4 on me so I couldn't try AC anyway.

Zabojnik

This was just checking the track out in the single player (and in my slow little Aurora), but this is what everyone that's about to win a race should do every time =P

331d4f78_weebay.gif

Played my second round of Vandull Swarm in drone sim, and I finally got to the end and beat it! The new targeting system helped a lot.
Now, onward to Citizen Con....

Blizzard

Banned
r_VSync = 0 Allows rendering to be asynchronous with screen refresh. May cause image tearing.
r_MotionBlur = 0 Turns off the linear-blur effect when moving the camera.
r_ColorGrading = 0 Color Grading is a (very nice) post-processing effect.
r_SSReflections = 0 Creates glossy reflections on surfaces using a technique similar to Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (a powerful shadow shader)
r_HDRBrightLevel = 0 An HDR 'Bloom' effect. Adjustable value.
r_FogShadows = 0 Volumetric shadows, a high-quality soft shadow technique.
e_ShadowsMaxTexRes = 256 One-quarter the normal resolution shadows are rendered at. The lowest value that does not noticeably degrade quality.
e_GsmCache = 1 Tells Cry-Engine it can cache and reuse 'God Rays' (sun shafts) it has rendered.
r_TexMaxAnisotropy = 8 A small improvement on the default Anisotropy value of 4 for Low settings; Anisotropy does not significantly impact performance on last-year's high-performance hardware until a value of 16.
sys_spec_texture = 2 One step higher quality textures. High texture resolution is not expensive below a hardware-specific threshold.

One of these or a combination. I guess you can also make a user.cfg in your CitizenClient folder.
Is one of those settings chromatic aberration? Because I think I've expressed my longstanding hope that they keep letting users tune the settings via console commands, and if you STOP being able to disable that effect, that would be most unfortunate.

It could be they tried to disable the settings, but forgot about user.cfg. If user.cfg stops working next, that would be a confirmation.

epmode

Does it take everyone else 2-3 minutes to launch the hangar?

I'm having strange control issues. Basically, the game freaks out when I use pitch on either my 360 controller OR a mouse. My Hornet only recognizes vertical input for a fraction of a second and then it behaves as though the stick is neutral. Horizontal input works correctly. I've also noticed that it takes me a few tries to get the menus to accept input from a controller or a mouse.

This might have something to do with an XML file I'm running to correct the strange deadzone issue or it could be the fact that I have my HOTAS plugged in at the same time as my 360 pad but it's never been a problem before.

I know, it's still very alpha. I wouldn't mind troubleshooting if it didn't take so long to relaunch the game.

I suppose I could free up some space on my SSD.

Is one of those settings chromatic aberration?

r_ChromaticAberration = 0

AJLma

Combat changes sound interesting, is it safe for me to jump in yet? Safe meaning will I be able to have regular fun playing this game casually.

I currently play Elite: Dangerous with a Thrustmaster T.16000 + Keyboard Combo, is it possible for me to set play with this set up in Star Citizen without having to edit config files and all that?

MrBig

Combat changes sound interesting, is it safe for me to jump in yet? Safe meaning will I be able to have regular fun playing this game casually.

I currently play Elite: Dangerous with a Thrustmaster T.16000 + Keyboard Combo, is it possible for me to set play with this set up in Star Citizen without having to edit config files and all that?

No to both questions.

Custom in-game keybindings will be coming soon, but, while there is fun to be had, it's a long way out from being able to be played casually. If you were to be expecting gameplay quality similar to Elite, you must consider that Elite is releasing this year, while SC is releasing over two years from now.

I would not recommend it currently to joystick users who don't want to get their hands a bit dirty in XML and CFG files. I don't mind, so I'm having a blast with everything setup right.

Lyon

I'm loving the direction they are taking with 0.9 even though there is some serious tweaking needed, but every update makes me feel all the more slow and crippled plodding around in my aurora. Racing around the track on my own has been surprisingly fun but I know when I eventually manage to get into an online match the experience is going to be mostly the same, plodding around on my todd after I lose sight of everyone in T1.

So fine, I can understand, I am flying around in a potato but the whole reason I haven't upgraded to something that can compete is because I want to scratch around from the bottom up when the PU comes online, that's half the fun for me. This makes AC complicated, I want to upgrade to enjoy what is available now but I do not want to upgrade for the PU.

I don't suppose there has been any talk of tiers in any game mode? Particularly racing?

epmode

Played around with the new version for a bit. The new sound effects are a huge improvement. Still not up to Elite's level, but what is? I love the new hangars too.

I'm looking forward to actually playing the game when they get the in-game control rebinding sorted out.

i gotten the file but i cant actually load it with the command (rebind). it says failure to find the file. any ideas?

Assuming your config file is called linear.xml, make sure the file is here: <STAR CITIZEN ROOT>\CitizenClient\Data\Controls\Mappings

When in-game, go to the console and load it with "pp_rebindkeys linear" (without quotes)

You should see a success message in the console.

Vlodril

Played around with the new version for a bit. The new sound effects are a huge improvement. Still not up to Elite's level, but what is? I love the new hangars too.

I'm looking forward to actually playing the game when they get the in-game control rebinding sorted out.

Assuming your config file is called linear.xml, make sure the file is here: <STAR CITIZEN ROOT>\CitizenClient\Data\Controls\Mappings

When in-game, go to the console and load it with "pp_rebindkeys linear" (without quotes)

You should see a success message in the console.

This is where i have it but it still will not find it. I have the root for the game on a different hd partition though(d) not sure if thats relevant.

epmode

This is where i have it but it still will not find it. I have the root for the game on a different hd partition though(d) not sure if thats relevant.

You have the root of the game on a different partition from what? The game's installation folder and the controller binding XML files should be on the same partition, regardless of your Windows partition.

On my PC, Star Citizen is on c:\games\starcitizen
the config file is here: c:\games\starcitizen\citizenclient\data\controls\mappings\linear.xml
I load the config file by typing "pp_rebindkeys linear" in the console

The Windows drive is not relevant.

If you've made the file and put it in the right directory you should just be able to select it directly from the dropdown in the options menu:

This only works if you have the right XML file. The first one posted in that thread has to be loaded with the console.

Vlodril

You have the root of the game on a different partition from what? The game's installation folder and the controller binding XML files should be on the same partition, regardless of your Windows partition.

On my PC, Star Citizen is on c:\games\starcitizen
the config file is here: c:\games\starcitizen\citizenclient\data\controls\mappings\linear.xml
I load the config file by typing "pp_rebindkeys linear" in the console

The Windows drive is not relevant.

This only works if you have the right XML file. The first one posted in that thread has to be loaded with the console.

Problem fixed thanks for all the help.

Skyzard

Banned
Finally got to try the racing...couldn't resist upgrading to m50 :'( my wallet. First crazy buy for me.

Hope they really focus on custom controls next though. So many issues, especially when decoupling.

--just found the custombinds for them:

<action name="v_decoupled_yaw">
<rebind device="joystick" input=" " />
</action>
<action name="v_decoupled_roll">
<rebind device="joystick" input=" " />
<action name="v_decoupled_strafe_up">
<rebind device="joystick" input="js2_hat1_up" />
</action>
<action name="v_decoupled_strafe_down">
<rebind device="joystick" input="js2_hat1_down" />
</action>
<action name="v_decoupled_strafe_right">
<rebind device="joystick" input="js2_hat1_right" />
</action>
<action name="v_decoupled_strafe_left">
<rebind device="joystick" input="js2_hat1_left" />

^ this sorts basically everything! (just need the inverse options - sensitivity and deadzone would be nice too).

Shifting energy is going to be insane with the m50, screen already fades to black totally sometimes!

Looks quite nice with all its lights too:
iivW7eYeDjptA.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom