• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I know folks have seen a lot of vids and stuff but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8A4SqBQJDg

My own vid I captured today mostly to show some of the new stuff to friends. The thing that blew me away personally about the fight I have in the video is just the sheer immersion that combat now has with all the new sounds, different combat and flight dynamics, etc. I'm really digging the experience now more than I ever have with SC.

Oh, also gotta love the sound of enemy bits and pieces rattling off the hull. Nothing but the rain, as it were. :)

Enjoy!

Edit: oh and pardon the lengthy match load time and the bit of me wandering around the hangar at the start

That's some good shit, Winterblink. I have yet to survive VS without dying once.
I totally feel you about the immersion. It's an enormous overhaul that made the game awesome. I'm eagerly awaiting until they introduce more players and ships.

Here's my recording (potato quality though) of the last wave. I survived only because I clipped the elite pilot and his flight computer was too slow with righting his ship, leaving him a sitting duck. The physics based movement is awesome.

That's some good shit, Winterblink. I have yet to survive VS without dying once.
I totally feel you about the immersion. It's an enormous overhaul that made the game awesome. I'm eagerly awaiting until they introduce more players and ships.

Here's my recording (potato quality though) of the last wave. I survived only because I clipped the elite pilot and his flight computer was too slow with righting his ship, leaving him a sitting duck. The physics based movement is awesome.
Wow, nice one! These Hornets sure can take a pounding, hey?

Love this image!
dutvWOe.jpg

Skyzard

Banned
^ great clip

TrackIR seems like a must for this and Elite.

There are a few cheapskate versions (freetrack / FaceTrackNoIR).

You can even make the headset IR transmitter yourself, but I just ordered one of the pro clips from ebay (note I've read they are fragile, I plan on using some tape and blutack to reinforce it).

The main issue is a camera that can track the IR diodes. At the moment, a PS3 eyetoy is recommended as it can capture at 120fps. But there are two versions, one which works, one which doesn't yadayada...hard to tell them apart. I will be trying over the next week or so to look for one that will work, they are a lot cheaper than the actual TrackIR bundle.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
One can only hope, but I wouldn't mind it if they wowed us at CitizenCon next month first. :p Even with all the recent stuff they've shown / released, they must have something good saved for the occasion ...

Maybe we'll get to see some of that vertical slice of Squadron 42 they've been working on.

Llyranor

Holy SHIT.

Time to buy a TrackIR now I guess. For this, ED, and War Thunder. Damn :)
I can attest that trackir works really well for both games. With rotating guns that can shoot on the sides, particularly so for SC

I pretty much refuse to play any flight game that doesn't support trackir now

Zabojnik

Haha, sorry m8s. :)

CIG finally started working on the custom SC HOTAS with Saitek. The year long wait begins, I guess. Though I'll probably cave much, much sooner and get the X-55 (or maybe something cheaper, just to tide me over).

Btw, no Jump Point this month?

Also, support the Lego Hornet!

Updated-Hornet-Render.png

Dekopin

Neo Member
Random question.

What control scheme are all of you using? Trying to get used to a kb+m but just ending up wishing that my old sidewinder worked.

Irobot82

Random question.

What control scheme are all of you using? Trying to get used to a kb+m but just ending up wishing that my old sidewinder worked.

I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS X and while I love flying with it, I can't aim for shit and end up using my mouse and flipping Couple off to aim then back on to fly. I use an Aurora btw.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Double-posting like a boss.

So they're bringing LTI back ... for the wave of ships that were unlocked as stretch goals last fall but have not yet been put up for sale.

When a ship’s concept gets ‘final approval’ from Chris, we plan to offer it as a one-week concept-only sale. After that week ends, the ship will not be available for sale until it is ready for use in the Hangar. In addition, we are going to offer several extras available only during the concept period:

The Lowest Price – backing earlier helps the production process the most, so it stands to reason that early backers should get the lowest price for their ships. Future Hangar-ready and flight-ready sales will increase the cost of a ship hull slightly.

Hangar Flare – everyone who backs a concept sale will receive two pieces of Hangar Flare. At launch, you’ll get a poster featuring the ship you’ve purchased to display in your Hangar and when the CryEngine model asset is finished you’ll get the in-game Takuetsu model to add to your collection!

Lifetime Insurance – one of the most common demands of CS is that we offer newly announced ships with cross-chassis upgrades to preserve LTI. While we maintain that Lifetime Insurance is a slight convenience and not a game changer, we know it’s something a lot of backers want. We feel comfortable including it during concept sales of ships which have never been available before (and do not intend to make it available again for existing ships or variants.)

Those ships, BTW, are:
  • RSI Orion
  • Origin 890 JUMP
  • Aegis Reclaimer
  • Anvil Carrack
  • MISC Hull C (Discreet)
  • Drake Herald

epmode

Gross. I hope that CIG's love of big ticket digital items doesn't negatively influence the final game economy and playstyle. I'm pretty sure it will, though.

Gross. I hope that CIG's love of big ticket digital items doesn't negatively influence the final game economy and playstyle. I'm pretty sure it will, though.
I think they are looking at percentages. Even if 10,000 people pledge some super huge ship, that is still an incredibly small amount of the user base.

I wouldn't call it greed, after all these concept sales will be below the latter prices for the ship. If it was pure greed they wouldn't bother with that discount at all. Also, none of this funding is actually profit, it doesn't go to line anyone's wallets, it all goes into the game's funding. Is it really that wrong to want as big a budget as they can get?

Also, I think lately funding has been dropping off faster than CIG expected. Look at the Constellation Phoenix and the physical model. The Phoenix had the whole 5000 limited thing but I believe just sold over 1000 (however, upgrades may not be counted there; no one seems to know exactly if they did or not) and the second wave of models was probably expected to sell out in minutes as the first wave did but was up in the store for weeks and weeks. Indeed, they seemed to have such an overstock of models that they upgraded the 8" and 6" models from packages to the 10" ones.

So with those not being quite the hits they had imagined (and indeed, they probably lost money on the models) they have to rethink their continued funding strategy. It's no secret that a large part of the player base aren't interested in ships without LTI, and indeed the Phoenix's lack of LTI may be why it sold so badly. Since they want to keep funding going at the current rate and not drop off below what they expected (since they don't have a fixed budget I imagine their budget is based on predictions following funding trends), it requires a new way of approaching ship sales. Hence, the return of LTI.

(Also, glad I sold my Aurora when I did. Gray market value of it is probably gonna tank especially if the Mustang gets LTI because of this, or if the Herald is cheap.)

elyetis

I very much hope that we are past the point were they need to keep what was the current founding. Everything went so much further than first expected, without the project growing that much from the original scope, that I would have expected the next few year to actually already be pretty secured.

Kind of like starbound dev just reassured people about how Chucklefish could fund the development of Starbound for another 9 years at least.

I wouldn't call it greed, after all these concept sales will be below the latter prices for the ship. If it was pure greed they wouldn't bother with that discount at all. Also, none of this funding is actually profit, it doesn't go to line anyone's wallets, it all goes into the game's funding. Is it really that wrong to want as big a budget as they can get?

Also, I think lately funding has been dropping off faster than CIG expected. Look at the Constellation Phoenix and the physical model. The Phoenix had the whole 5000 limited thing but I believe just sold over 1000 (however, upgrades may not be counted there; no one seems to know exactly if they did or not) and the second wave of models was probably expected to sell out in minutes as the first wave did but was up in the store for weeks and weeks. Indeed, they seemed to have such an overstock of models that they upgraded the 8" and 6" models from packages to the 10" ones.

So with those not being quite the hits they had imagined (and indeed, they probably lost money on the models) they have to rethink their continued funding strategy. It's no secret that a large part of the player base aren't interested in ships without LTI, and indeed the Phoenix's lack of LTI may be why it sold so badly. Since they want to keep funding going at the current rate and not drop off below what they expected (since they don't have a fixed budget I imagine their budget is based on predictions following funding trends), it requires a new way of approaching ship sales. Hence, the return of LTI.

(Also, glad I sold my Aurora when I did. Gray market value of it is probably gonna tank especially if the Mustang gets LTI because of this, or if the Herald is cheap.)

Eventually you have to have a product out there that makes the SC fanbase (ie whales) to keep pouring money in (there's already a cash shop ready and waiting). If CIG is basing their funding like this, then they are more incompetent than I realize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom