• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

I have a feeling the dog fight module will open up the ships eventually.

Taking these huge, expensive ships for test drives will only warm up those credit cards.

The Lifetime Insurance protects your ship if it gets destroyed. Even with an LTI ship you still need additional insurance to protect the mods that you have on it. Luckily for me i found someone that backed early and he was able to get me a ship with LTI

Grief.exe

The Lifetime Insurance protects your ship if it gets destroyed. Even with an LTI ship you still need additional insurance to protect the mods that you have on it. Luckily for me i found someone that backed early and he was able to get me a ship with LTI

Is there a reason you are quoting me? Just trying to figure out what point you are trying to make.

Is there a reason you are quoting me? Just trying to figure out what point you are trying to make.

it won't get expensive.. try reading about the insurance on ships. as long as your covered it will always be replaced after its destruction and i believe they won't implement it when they release the dog fighting module so nothing to worry about. unless you mean testing out/flying the ships will get more backers lol

Zabojnik

Game runs like crap on Medium for me. I don't have a mind blowing computer, but this is the first title I've had drop my framerate so low even at medium./

Well, sure, it's completely unoptimized. Runs 'fine' on Very High on my good ol' 570 GTX. Getting about 20-30 fps in the Business Hangar with the 300i and the Hornet.

Here's some full-res screenshots:

scbusinesshangar09.png

scbusinesshangar01.png

scbusinesshangar06.png

scbusinesshangar11.png

scbusinesshangar22.png

scbusinesshangar15.png

scbusinesshangar17.png

scbusinesshangar24.png

scbusinesshangar26.png

scbusinesshangar27.png

Grief.exe

it won't get expensive.. try reading about the insurance on ships. as long as your covered it will always be replaced after its destruction and i believe they won't implement it when they release the dog fighting module so nothing to worry about. unless you mean testing out/flying the ships will get more backers lol

You missed the meaning of that conversation completely.

Yes, it was the latter. IE bringing in more backers.

Grief.exe

Want this game so bad. When is it gonna come out?

Read the OP, details all of the releases.

the hangar module alone brought in $50,000 since release and that should increase when more articles and youtube videos are released.

Not sure what point you are trying to make again.

I wasn't arguing that they weren't bringing in enough money, I actually wasn't arguing anything. Just pointing out a strategy that could potentially bring in more money if they realized the opportunity.

Mupod

When I backed it the only thing I had in mind was Squadron 42 - to me that was the 'full game'. I just want space combat sims back.

But now that I can walk around and ogle my 300i...well I just wanna live in this thing now. I haven't been keeping up with anything about the game really, but now that we've got a tangible piece of it to mess around with I just want to know more.

Mods to do lewd things to our ships when?

Qvoth

ok so there will only be 1 server for everybody to play?
jesus can't imagine the lag

oh and if i'm not a backer, can i still download that hangar module thing and try it out?

ok so there will only be 1 server for everybody to play?
jesus can't imagine the lag

oh and if i'm not a backer, can i still download that hangar module thing and try it out?

It will have an MMO like setup but areas will be instanced with a cap on how many people/ships can be in an instance.

And no, you can't download the hangar module unless you're a backer and you have a pledge with an eligible ship.

Still can't even get into my hangar due to my account getting timed out. Server still getting pounded like a pronstar?

Edit: Got in. Knees are totally sexy.

samjaza

I found it much more bearable when i disable most of the bloom and motion blur in the console, though it still take me on average 10 tries to get in.

Zabojnik

picked up the freelancer, constellation and cutlass today since none of my other pledge ships were viewable in hangar yet. made a video and some pics below. I'm really impressed so far given this is an unoptimized pre pre pre pre alpha version.

Looking great, Mylene! Does the video only go as high as 720p or is it still being processed?

Zabojnik

Some additional keyboard bindings that work in the hangar:

"B" - use in 3rd person to toggle zoom distance a bit (does exactly what mouse scrollwheel does, only instantly)

"K" - use when in 1st person in cockpit to center your view\
"K" - use when in 3rd person cockpit view (press F1 twice from 1st person view) - hold it down, move mouse to adjust camera freely! Great for screenshots

"Q" & "E" - use when in cockpit; appears to adjust yaw (thanks Animadversor)

"1" - while in Constellation chair, appears to deploy turret or crash the module :) (thanks Lachrymose)

"~" - opens a console-like window that shows start up bugs/log (and also screenshot info, at least for two screenshots for me) (thanks Shadowlight)

"RMB" - click it to enable a HUD pop-up in the Hornet cockpit (thanks Stormy)

"TAB" - after using the ship customization "holotable", TAB will toggle the mouse cursor to select ships, drag 'n drop, etc. Might have to adjust camera a bit to see everything (a little to the left of center works for me) - (Thanks jimboking)

"Jstick" - "Joystick inputs work too btw, my Fighterstick controlled pitch/something" (thanks Silas Farseer)

"Once the turret is deployed in the connie it can be moved around with the mouse." (Thanks ProteusRift)

"1" - press 1 while seated in the Freelancer, it will move you to the second seat (Thanks BulletChief)

FirewalkR

Stop pounding the server, dammit! I want to get in so I can bask in my ship's glory and then go sleep. It's nearly 7 AM over here for chrissakes.

It looks good, although they're overdoing the bloom and fog a bit.

Call me crazy, but I actually really like those settings the way they dialed them in. Reminded me of an 80s sci-fi like feeling... now all it needs is abit of the filmgrain (which it can actually be toggled and dialed in in the console).

Dare I say, the module is making me consider buying another ship. OH MY.

Also, I think I am gonna post on their forums about them using AREA lights in the hangars. It would reall yhelp the scenes pop more and actually have proper specular reflections.

Jac_Solar

What sort of content will the single player version have? Will you only have access to a small area of the universe, or the entirety of the multiplayer universe as well? If it's the latter, will there be content spread throughout the universe in single player as well? Like towns, stores, ships, planets, etc.

Blizzard

Banned
Checking my account on the website (because I can't get the game to log in), it looks like I have the Pathfinder and lifetime insurance. I got a little worried seeing the other purchase options with limited-time insurance. :p

red731

Checking my account on the website (because I can't get the game to log in), it looks like I have the Pathfinder and lifetime insurance. I got a little worried seeing the other purchase options with limited-time insurance. :p

Before I pledge - is there any way to get lifetime insurance too?

Blizzard

Banned
Before I pledge - is there any way to get lifetime insurance too?
Cool avatar.

It doesn't look like you can: http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Lifetime_Insurance

That also talks about plans of suspending insurance or heavy ingame fines for insurance fraud. I wonder if that means that if an early pledge flies too recklessly they get penalized? Or is there something else involved? If anyone knows more about it I'd like to hear it.

Zabojnik

Oh. Dang. Thank you and thank you. Making my pledge now.
Btw, is there any in-website friend list or something of the matter regarding adding friends?
Maybe we can create some hidden google doc with out handles/monikers.

Don't know about a 'friends' list, but they plan on adding guilds/squadrons support to the RSI website and forums in the near future. I reckon it might include a general friends list. Register, pledge and make a suggestion on the forums, the devs read it all.

This screams Oculus Rift.

Does the Hangar Module support it?

Not yet. It will be added in one of the upcoming hangar iterations / patches. Apparently CryEngine doesn't support it perfectly yet, some lag issues and such, but Crytek and CIG are supposedly working on it. Roberts is an immersion fetishist, so no worries there. :)

So glad I help Crowd Fund it. Will make me upgrade my PC when it comes out and I'll probably forget about this new generation of consoles soon after hehe. Well except for Sports and Racing games ;).

red731

Don't know about a 'friends' list, but they plan on adding guilds/squadrons support to the RSI website and forums in the near future. I reckon it might include a general friends list. Register, pledge and make a suggestion on the forums, the devs read it all.

Yeah. Will do that! Thank you
Also I hope that my months old 7970 will be allright while serving in this game, ha!

Blizzard

Banned
I couldn't find anything to adjust lights in the hanger or props to play around with, but maybe that's only for certain hangers. I could climb up the scaffolding though. Initial thoughts:

• This is the highest temperature I have noticed my GTX 770 go. It was hitting like 72C and maybe 40-50 fps on the highest settings, and got a much more reasonable 60 fps (but still 70C and 99% usage) when I put it down to medium at 1680x1050. Of course as mentioned they will need to optimize stuff. I'm running a 3570k at 4.2 GHz too.
  • I didn't realize, or forgot, this was CryEngine3. I don't care for some aspects of the look, and I hope it doesn't mean bad performance without very focused optimization, but I love that there is currently console access and I hope they keep that so people can tune things like bloom, or turn off chromatic aberration. I'm hoping they add some option for decent AA (preferably not temporal AA, or FXAA) that does not require downsampling.
  • The ship looks cool, though it's no Ebon Hawk and is rather cramped inside. I am a tall bald spaceperson in an iron man chestplate and I may get claustrophobic. :p
  • Jumping has some weird half-second delay.

Some screenshots, sorry since I don't know how to turn on lights or turn off the HUD and cl_hud 0 doesn't do anything:

Top Bottom