• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen's StarEngine Demo

Buggy Loop

Yeah! As I understand they need one GI system to optimize for, so now even in software mode ppl will have some form of GI and artist will optimize for it. BTW I'm on Nvidia and don't care about software GI but it's very good that artist will not split between software/hardware modes. Also it will be faster than bake everything.

We are at least 2 years from anything release-like on SQ42. One year for Pyro me guess.

Yes, it should then save them a lot of time to make new worlds and cities. Imagine setting probes for that, the interiors, the caves, the bases, the stations... nightmare fuel for artists.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yeah! As I understand they need one GI system to optimize for, so now even in software mode ppl will have some form of GI and artist will optimize for it.

This is what I've been trying to say in the "graphical fidelity" thread. Some usual suspects are combing Cyberpunk for screenshots where the artist optimization for raster clashes with RT/PT (and disregards where it's not) and is used as "proof" of how much of a waste raytracing is.

I mean, if there was one thread where people should be able to understand the simple concepts of how this works it should be in that one. But no.. Astroturfing for their favorite plastic box is obviously more important.

So happy to see CIG being smart enough to work on ways to future proof light optimization.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It appears that there is already a separate thread for the 26 minute trailer:

"..although in development for a few years...." Try 11 years. Until there is a playable demo or it is out, it's not real. Many developers would put together 'gameplay footage' of a game and ended up being a curated demo....with no real game. So many lemmings here.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Those facial animations are pretty much almost as on par with Starfield

Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
Yes, it should then save them a lot of time to make new worlds and cities. Imagine setting probes for that, the interiors, the caves, the bases, the stations... nightmare fuel for artists.
Yeah, it will be better for both players and artists.
I'm really looking forward new atmospheric flight model, map+hud thing and Vulkan renderer. Server meshing and Pyro will take time and I'm okay with that. Will gladly fly through Stanton again with new HUD and flight model.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I got scammed into buying Star Citizen. Just started it, played like the first 15 minutes of the tutorial. Starfield's interiors and space suits look better than this. At least on PC.

When is the RT update coming out? I think I'll wait for that before going any further.

Edit: just so I don't come across as I'm talking out of my ass:

Mj66Jcb.jpg

PvkPbo1.jpeg

IevrExW.jpeg

cKzBfXP.jpeg

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Eh, I wouldn't recommend peoples to jump into SC PU now because of trailer hype unless they do a lot of research. Great things are coming, but now it's a bit broken server wise since they tried persistence.

I got scammed into buying Star Citizen. Just started it, played like the first 15 minutes of the tutorial. Starfield's interiors and space suits look better than this. At least on PC.

When is the RT update coming out? I think I'll wait for that before going any further.

Assets are incredible in Starfield, as well as music. But I just hate it and regret that I've wasted 30 hours on it very deeply.🤷‍♂️
Star Citizen have potential and there is many things to love. And I can wait playing other great games so no problem for me.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Mj66Jcb.jpg

PvkPbo1.jpeg

IevrExW.jpeg

cKzBfXP.jpeg

And you can do nothing with the whole interior in Starfield. Even those modules like medical...cool but you can't even do anything? It's like saying Resident Evil has better looking background when those are just static rendered backgrounds and nothing more.

Some of my in-game star citizen shots:

52933611995_ecc29cd01f_o.png

52910621864_4a22be81ca_o.png

52523680782_91d6759d41_o.jpg

51704755011_422abb0c38_o.png

51676277652_5858c1d32a_o.png

51685476172_3ecb7aefc8_o.png

49850919436_95682609a8_o.png

47532987492_a1b1ff3867_o.png

Denton

I wish Squadron 42 was the singleplayer cinematic action space sim first person shooter that it is, and Star Citizen was singleplayer RPG like Starfield, but good.

nemiroff

Gold Member

Starfield generally look great, it's the lack of a good datastreaming tech that I have problems with.

But damn, you were curious and got impatient, or what? I'm gonna assume you knew the updates seen in the citizencon demos isn't in the alpha yet..?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
And you can do nothing with the whole interior in Starfield. Even those modules like medical...cool but you can't even do anything? It's like saying Resident Evil has better looking background when those are just static rendered backgrounds and nothing more.

Cool screenshots but still, suits in Starfield are a) better designed (maybe I just like the aesthetic better) and b) more detailed.

I believe that with medical you unlock crafting stations for your ship. Almost every module adds something. Crafting station, bed, navigation console, storage / display, more room for crew etc.

I just finished the basic tutorial, game can look very good. I'm excited to play more when I have more time.

My first flight:

vyrbvef.jpg

7LUvQwo.jpg

How do I access photo mode?

Red5

Having played both, Star Citizen has a much higher IQ with higer res textures and a whole lot better faces.

Starfield does have the NASA punk aesthetic going for it, so different artistic direction I guess but Image Quality wise Star Citizens wins hands down.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Having played both, Star Citizen has a much higher IQ with higer res textures and a whole lot better faces.

Starfield does have the NASA punk aesthetic going for it, so different artistic direction I guess but Image Quality wise Star Citizens wins hands down.

I’ve only played Star Citizen for like 30 minutes but so far starting ship interior / space suits, hands down better in Starfield. Everything else: Star Citizen.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I mean in Star Citizen community we do not act like dicks 🤷‍♂️
Imagine me crying in Starfield topic - I'm crying but I'm playing, lol.

It’s called video game discussion on a video game forum. Don’t be so fragile. All I said is that 2 things look worse but everything else looks better and it broke you. Soft.

Buggy Loop

Extremely fragile. I’m surprised. All I said that 2 small things from early game look better in another game and you’re acting retarded. Relax.

I have 98 hours in Starfield.

Yes interiors of ships are detailed and beautiful. It got that going. NASA punk also helps.

That's pretty much it.

A loading screen to enter my ship... blew my fucking mind that starfield tech is so held back by their engine.

Go play Starfield to the end for sure. I cannot think of a more disappointing title for 2023. It'll disappear from collective memory quite soon.

Btw, Pyro, which Asmon found so impressive will be playable on the preview channel in six days.
Looking from the footage Pyro is not ready for public release yet. It really needs a polish. But I can't wait for new atmospheric flight model - imagine landing a ship like an aircraft :messenger_winking_tongue: I mean I love flying, always loved but this (if done right) will be on whole another level.

I’m probably not reinstalling PU until 1) Vulkan, 2) Pyro, 3) flight model change , 4) persistence fix or much improved.

I’m not in a hurry, good things are coming
You on what version?
I haven't played SC for 2 years and just tried clean latest build and it's surprisingly good. I'm just wowed at Arccorp and Lorville and also now cities are much more loosely restricted which is just what I wanted. Very big upgrade over what I've played before . But as always with such games - later you play the better. I probably try update next week and forget about it for a year :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Buggy Loop

You on what version?
I haven't played SC for 2 years and just tried clean latest build and it's surprisingly good. I'm just wowed at Arccorp and Lorville and also now cities are much more loosely restricted which is just what I wanted. Very big upgrade over what I've played before . But as always with such games - later you play the better. I probably try update next week and forget about it for a year :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I checked just in the path after persistence, i no longer remember the number, 3.18? Anyway, resulted in the T-pose NPCs all around station haha. Did they fix that yet?

TxKnight7 TxKnight7

GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:

EDMIX

52933611995_ecc29cd01f_o.png

52910621864_4a22be81ca_o.png

52523680782_91d6759d41_o.jpg

51704755011_422abb0c38_o.png

51676277652_5858c1d32a_o.png

51685476172_3ecb7aefc8_o.png

49850919436_95682609a8_o.png

47532987492_a1b1ff3867_o.png

In terms of interiors, Starfield still looks better regarding the ships, but that is more of a design thing.

The spacesuits is a deep subjective thing.

One can like either or tbh. I think both teams did fine in that area.

Buggy Loop

I just watched the 48 mins nagivation update and that was fascinating. The new mobiglass is something but the map + starmap is something else, I've never seen something close to that in a game, especially since it'll be dynamic depending on environments because its not a made asset by artists for the map, its pulling the damn environment (HOW??)

I went to look at my pledge and decided to upgrade...

Upgrade - 325a to Zeus Mk II ES Standard Upgrade​

store_slideshow_large.jpg
1200px-Zeus_MkII_ES_x2_flying_over_world.jpg

The Rock Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Utherellus

In terms of interiors, Starfield still looks better regarding the ships, but that is more of a design thing.

The spacesuits is a deep subjective thing.

One can like either or tbh. I think both teams did fine in that area.

Star Citizen's ships are unprecedently detailed though.

The design thing is subjective but SC has got it all: You can take a tour of a luxury 200-meter space yacht with saunas and lounge bar, which looks like this:

XWxl0yy.jpg

jQkLwaX.jpg

And the next second fly the alien ships that look like this:

giphy.gif

Or this:

source.jpg

Last edited:
I checked just in the path after persistence, i no longer remember the number, 3.18? Anyway, resulted in the T-pose NPCs all around station haha. Did they fix that yet?
NPC? Ahaha. No. They are almost the same as... forever, lol. And people was amazed by animals in the demo. Now imagine their AI :messenger_tears_of_joy:
That's I do not understand - if NPC's are broken why they are included for so many years? :messenger_winking_tongue: Don't it will be better to disable them until fixed?

But every ship in Starfield is the same? It's variation of the same - if you saw one or two then you saw everything. Also they are non-interactive at all. It's just houses with landing animations.
Ships are very strong point of Star Citizen, you really feel them, feel bonded to them. That amazed me back then, and I'm still amazed!

Last edited:

MHubert

"If all goes well". LOL! It's always a few years out. Those facial animations are pretty much almost as on par with Starfield. Starting to show it's age. S42 was announced 11 years ago. 2026 would make it 14 years in development.
Ok Cool. I still think 26 is viable if S42 is indeed in its polish phase.

EDMIX

Star Citizen's ships are unprecedently detailed though.

The design thing is subjective but SC has got it all: You can take a tour of a luxury 200-meter space yacht with saunas and lounge bar, which looks like this:

XWxl0yy.jpg

jQkLwaX.jpg

And the next second fly the alien ships that look like this:

giphy.gif

Or this:

source.jpg

Ok lol

Its a subjective thing. Starfield's detail in those ships make them look more real and practical, as in such a ship would really exist like that.

Nothing is wrong btw with like Star Citizen's ships, its simply my opinion regarding it. Something can look so concept, it removes practicality and realism from from the immersion. So I like Starfield's design goal of taking designs from existing shuttle stuff, it looks like it would exist for real, but all of that is subjecitve.

You can like either or tbh.

W2pKlug.jpg

But every ship in Starfield is the same?

Not even remotely lol

Not sure where you got that from.

Starfield-Ship-Interiors-1.jpg

starfield-ship-storage.large.jpg

starfield-habs-guide-all-ship-best-to-buy.jpg

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Cool screenshots but still, suits in Starfield are a) better designed (maybe I just like the aesthetic better) and b) more detailed.

I believe that with medical you unlock crafting stations for your ship. Almost every module adds something. Crafting station, bed, navigation console, storage / display, more room for crew etc.

I just finished the basic tutorial, game can look very good. I'm excited to play more when I have more time.

My first flight:

vyrbvef.jpg

7LUvQwo.jpg

How do I access photo mode?

It adds more people in your ship, but nothing is usable. They are using Nasa style interior while Star Citizen has different interiors for every manufacturer. Some are more industrial (more detailed) and other are more clean. Starfield is using enviroments without any interaction with objects. You can only sit in chairs but can't use any of the medical statiosn, Engineering stations, computer core or whatever.

Ok lol

Its a subjective thing. Starfield's detail in those ships make them look more real and practical, as in such a ship would really exist like that.

Nothing is wrong btw with like Star Citizen's ships, its simply my opinion regarding it. Something can look so concept, it removes practicality and realism from from the immersion. So I like Starfield's design goal of taking designs from existing shuttle stuff, it looks like it would exist for real, but all of that is subjecitve.

You can like either or tbh.

W2pKlug.jpg

Not even remotely lol

Not sure where you got that from.

Starfield-Ship-Interiors-1.jpg

starfield-ship-storage.large.jpg

starfield-habs-guide-all-ship-best-to-buy.jpg

It's fun watching these interiors but at the same time complete pointless and non interactible. Like i said it's all static and disconnected from the outside work since they throw you in some other instance.

EDMIX

This looks good indeed but don't change anything - it's just interiors locked by loading screen. You can't do anything with them!

It's fun watching these interiors but at the same time complete pointless and non interactible.

lol fuck are you guys talking about?

Sooooo that table you can interact with, sit in the chairs, sleep in the beds....have either of you even played the actual game?

I mean holy shit, did you think the bed was just...there? Like nothing can be done with it or?

I get someone can like how something looks vs another, but holy shit man, relax with the horseshit lying, I mean you are basically making something up, about a game you literally can just watch the footage of to show what goes on in those ships, who told you "non interactable" I'm not sure I'd trust that person enough to be repeating what they are saying.

I mere video disproves this...

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Sooooo that table you can interact with, sit in the chairs, sleep in the beds....have either of you even played the actual game?

I mean holy shit, did you think the bed was just...there? Like nothing can be done with it or?

I get someone can like how something looks vs another, but holy shit man, relax with the horseshit lying, I mean you are basically making something up, about a game you literally can just watch the footage of to show what goes on in those ships, who told you "non interactable" I'm not sure I'd trust that person enough to be repeating what they are saying.

I have 100 hours in the game dumbass. The Starfield interiors are only cool to watch, but they are NOT interactible in a way you can in Star Citizen. The whole medical station adds nothing more then extra NPC's but nothing is usable. You can't even use these medical beds inside them. You can't interact with the MFD's other then your storage compartiment.

I've never said it looks bad, but isn't non interactible for more then 98%. It's all static and non usable. There is a big difference in the end between those that one is realtime and fully interactible and the other one is disconnected from your hull and non interactible.

Even if i didn't played Starfield. Videos are enough to know that all these modules are only to add more people or storage but for the player completely non interactible.

I haven't finished the main story of Starfield, but everything ive in the game made me realise why Starf Citizen is so far ahead of any other scifi game. The fully freedom in every aspect is something what is more important then some static looks. I've build a bunch of ships for myself in starfield but it's a shame that almost everything iside is useless for the player.

Uhm..maybe just watch some vidoes or go play Starfield and see for yourself?

but holy shit man, relax with the horseshit lying, I mean you are basically making something up

This shows that you haven't even touched Starfield.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I have 100 hours in the game dumbass. The Starfield interiors are only cool to watch, but they are NOT interactible in a way you can in Star Citizen. The whole medical station adds nothing more then extra NPC's but nothing is usable. You can't even use these medical beds inside them. You can't interact with the MFD's other then your storage compartiment.

I've never said it looks bad, but isn't non interactible for more then 98%. It's all static and non usable. There is a big difference in the end between those that one is realtime and fully interactible and the other one is disconnected from your hull and non interactible.

Even if i didn't played Starfield. Videos are enough to know that all these modules are only to add more people or storage but for the player completely non interactible.

I haven't finished the main story of Starfield, but everything ive in the game made me realise why Starf Citizen is so far ahead of any other scifi game. The fully freedom in every aspect is something what is more important then some static looks. I've build a bunch of ships for myself in starfield but it's a shame that almost everything iside is useless for the player.
As someone neutral in this, in a way you are both kinda right. Yeah, BGS screwed up the seamless experience that we all wished for, but at the end of the day there's no denying Starfield nailed it with the NASA punk aesthetics, there's almost nothing else like it, and it's hard to beat (like the Alien movie ship interiors, it's iconic). With that said, Star Citizen OTOH has an unbeatable diversity in aesthetics across a staggering amount of handcrafted ships.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
As someone neutral in this, the moving goalposts makes me uneasy. Yeah, BGS screwed up the seamless feel that we all wanted, but at the end of the day there's no denying Starfield nailed it with the NASA punk design, there's nothing else like it, and it's hard to beat (like the Alien movie ship interior designs, it's iconic). With that said, Star Citizen OTOH has an unbeatable diversity across a staggering amount of ships and design aesthetics.

Like i said i never said it looks bad or something but it's a complete pointless for the player since nothing is interactible and all static. It's behind a loading screen so disconnected from the hull you see at the outside.

There are no nasa punk ship star citizen so we can't really compare them since Star Citizen has all kinds of interior styles from clean (Origin) to more like industrial. The Nasa punk style isn't hard to beat for CIG if they want to create a manufacturer with the same style since some of the manufacturers are already close to nasa punk.

Drake ships are close to this. Just look at the latest Drake ship iterations.

Yeah I need a ship to sit in chairs and sleep in the bed... I want to fucking fly it :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Don't want to argue with you but you need to take a look on SC's ships and what people can do with them. Most fun part of the game to me! You can hover in the air near building, open the door of your ship and your friend just jump in and now you going together. Those are amazing moments!

I've played Starfield, unfortunately and I was sold on it after presentation. Sadly deadlines or something else went wrong. Also Starfield is not a space-sim.

EDMIX

I have 100 hours in the game dumbass.

Nah man, you need help.

Even stating a fucking subjective opinion about this game is triggering you.

You can sleep in the beds, sit in the chairs, the very table in that screenshot is used as the star map, where the fuck did you hear it was "non interactable"? I mean shit, I get you like another game more, nothing in any of my statements is arguing the ship has more function then in Star Citizen.

This is merely something you are arguing when nothing in any of those statements is debating that...

So this whole
complete pointless and non interactible.

is completely false.

Not to the same degree as Star Citizen, sure...but to say pointless and no interactible is factually incorrect. Many things on that ship you interact with. I get you like another game more, but holy shit man relax with the hyperbole.

Also Starfield is not a space-sim.

Who the fuck is saying it is? lol

I'm sorry man, you 2 basically are getting triggered for no fucking reason.

Nothing is wrong with liking one design over another, I say that in the very post you are crying over, but an exaggeration of claiming
You can't do anything with them!

Is just a bit too silly for my taste.

You can do enough with the ship to very much support that you "can do something with them"

Enough interaction exist, where I simply cannot support a false statement like "non interactible"

Its a difference of saying one has more, to one has none.

This is just too fucking hyperbolic and exaggerative.

We got to give you the good ole ignore man lol

nothing is that serious to be making up some weird shit like this lol

good luck.

morgan-freeman-good-luck.gif

(not everyone with an opinion is trying to fucking fight you folks)

Last edited:

EDMIX

As someone neutral in this, in a way you are both kinda right. Yeah, BGS screwed up the seamless experience that we all wished for, but at the end of the day there's no denying Starfield nailed it with the NASA punk aesthetics, there's almost nothing else like it, and it's hard to beat (like the Alien movie ship interiors, it's iconic). With that said, Star Citizen OTOH has an unbeatable diversity in aesthetics across a staggering amount of handcrafted ships.

Watch out, you are not allowed to have an opinion regarding Starfield lol

Doesn't even matter if you state you like really anything in Star Citizen , you basically need to be bashing one to death lol

Watch out, you are not allowed to have an opinion regarding Starfield lol

Doesn't even matter if you state you like really anything in Star Citizen , you basically need to be bashing one to death lol
Why you guys keep doing that?
You started that comparison, every one gives you their opinions that you don't like. And you now saying that we are angry or what? What's wrong with you?
I personally don't give a shit about anything Starfield.

Top Bottom