• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are 25 minutes of gameplay footage from Squadron 42

Buggy Loop

Oh My God Wow GIF by 9Now

ill believe it when i play it, been burned by CIG and chris roberts lies too many times

Isn’t this just one small part of the game, tho? And even this small portion still is nowhere near release?

Yikes. Talk about people pissing their money away. I’ve been sick of hearing about this game never coming out since *2015*.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Isn’t this just one small part of the game, tho? And even this small portion still is nowhere near release?

Yikes. Talk about people pissing their money away. I’ve been sick of hearing about this game never coming out since *2015*.
It's close to one half of the game. Squadron 42 is the single player/fps module if I recall correctly. Star Citizen is the space faring and multiplayer aspect.

Gaiff

What exactly is Squadron 42? I'm confused. What's the difference between this and Star Citizen
It's close to one half of the game. Squadron 42 is the single player/fps module if I recall correctly. Star Citizen is the space faring and multiplayer aspect.
That's what it is.
FPS just doesn't look smooth, and trailer is probably running on a 4090.
One of the last phases is the optimization. If it does ever come out, it won't play like this.

Buggy Loop

What exactly is Squadron 42? I'm confused. What's the difference between this and Star Citizen

•Squadron 42 was always single player focus. Think Freespace 2. Narrative driven, actors, dialogues, missions. Pure 100% single player space adventure.

•Star Citizen is a persistent universe MMO. Players can gang up and have a 50+ player driven massive ship, etc.

The tech from SQ42 is leaking into Star Citizen, but 80% of the budget for years at CIG was to make Squadron 42. So while peoples are complaining about Star Citizen being slowly updated, the vast majority of modules needed to make Squadron 42 happen was in development and the focus. Now, the past 2 days, most of the features at Citizencon that were shown for Star Citizen, are basically directly coming from SQ42, except the likes of server meshing as it's not needed for single player.

Gaiff

Ok, I'm about 2 minutes in, is all this real time?
Yes, it's all real time. Many cutscenes though and since I haven't played the game, I don't know how actual gameplay stacks up. It's a bit like Uncharted 4 or TLOU with real time cutscenes that obviously look better than the gameplay.

nemiroff

Gold Member
If people wonder why we're excited: This is the major/main part of Star Citizen that many of us pledged for on Kickstarter in 2012.. But now it's finally feature complete and in polishing phase and is already looking pretty good.

No matter what happens it can't continue to happen for another decade, so it feels a lot more tangible now. We might even get our hands on the complete game sometime next year.

Last edited:
Happy that I'll be able to play this during my natural lifetime. I'll just buy it retail when it's released and ignore the whole decade+ saga/drama with Star Citizen.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That was fucking unbelievable to me.

I don't get into the hyperbole and negative slant that some have taken over the years. I peek in and see the advancements as they've happened over the years.

It's taken forever yes. But what they showed looked truly unbelievable and I have to hope that it's as good as they say.

These guys have put a tons of work and they were appropriately thorough to show the fruits of their labor.

I can't say the last time I saw something that made me as excited like we are reaching a new level of robust, epic, and ambitious game play. Or seeing such high quality in the sum of the parts. It simply looks fun and somewhere I want to fully dive into proper.

I'm blown away and haven't backed shit yet.

I'll gladly hold the line, or whatever corny shit, after seeing that.

That's how you do this type of game. I'm pulling for this game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom