• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam Citizen: Squadron 42 Full 9min Leaked cutscene - No Gameplay

If I switch off that part of my brain that wants to yell scam/hacks/devhell and ask myself am I interested in this game taking it "as is" today if it was my first time seeing it? Yes, I am interested in this game. I'll wait forever and it's a total joke but this dev and this game have some really special elements in there. This old Wing Commander fan is keen on a final game, albeit Star Citizen or Squadron 42. I don't care which, just please don't be another Cyberpunk 2077 launch or Witcher III shit controller support. Outside of that I'm good to go.

Just going to baloon the budget for this game even more. I just don't understand the point in a game like this. Seems like a giant waste of money/resources on a game that doesn't look to have a release date.
I bet they paid the full rate too for these guys, I can’t imagine Gary Oldman wants to be acting in video games for fun. There’s plenty of unknowns they could’ve gotten that would’ve done the job perfectly but they had to hire some of the most famous and well respected actors on the planet? Not just one but a few? Total misappropriation of funds

Ribi

As apposed to a spending time/resources/money developing a billon maps that will ultimately end in a game that excellent at nothing but average at everything?

But you can't compare this to Star Citizen though.
Fortnite is done. Complete. You can pick it up anytime, is free to play and is being heavily supported post launch. The same can't be said for SC.

Maybe they stand to make more money down the crowdfunding road instead of launching the base game and supporting it with post launch content like Fortnite. That's just my theory.
i think you misunderstand. The current product isn't a 500million dollar game. Thats the fund raised not the funds used. Same way that early access billion dollar game with 1 map made so much money. What low ass stardanrds do we have when we call something like fortnite complete with 1 map and GaaS model. I can compare the 2, they are early access titles that make money on predatory practices yet one gets shit while the other doesnt.

I bet they paid the full rate too for these guys, I can’t imagine Gary Oldman wants to be acting in video games for fun. There’s plenty of unknowns they could’ve gotten that would’ve done the job perfectly but they had to hire some of the most famous and well respected actors on the planet? Not just one but a few? Total misappropriation of funds
They didn't even need unknown actors because I'm sure even those people will want some compensation when using their likeness in the game. Why not just use generic models?

i think you misunderstand. The current product isn't a 500million dollar game. Thats the fund raised not the funds used. Same way that early access billion dollar game with 1 map made so much money. What low ass stardanrds do we have when we call something like fortnite complete with 1 map and GaaS model. I can compare the 2, they are early access titles that make money on predatory practices yet one gets shit while the other doesnt.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Fortnite is not early access.

Also Star Citrizen is close to 11 years in development having gone through the entirey of last gen and almost 3 years into the new gen with no launch window in sight while continuing to be crowdfunded. It's not that hard to see why it gets some shit from gamers.

Lasha

Spending money on good actors makes sense for all games with a narrative story. What doesn't make sense is hiring somebody to create an entire language so that your space turtle race can be unintelligible with meaning.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...n-overview-of-the-xian-language-for-diplomats

LOL, insanity at that level of BS world building. It is pretty cool to see Hamill still wanting to work with Roberts. Hopefully that is a good sign. Hamill tends to have a good moral compass and has been around enough studios in enough industries to cry foul when warranted.

Lasha

LOL, insanity at that level of BS world building. It is pretty cool to see Hamill still wanting to work with Roberts. Hopefully that is a good sign. Hamill tends to have a good moral compass and has been around enough studios in enough industries to cry foul when warranted.

I have a friend who is in 25,000$ debt from star citizen. I always quote Xi'an proverbs to troll him to show exactly where the money was spent. I'm in the group of fans who dislike the scope creep. SC's loop of flying with a crew, dropping, and having adventures is phenomenal with the level of detail present. The silly stuff like basic equipment being spread across multiple stations or being forced into choosing a planet as permanent home and having to take a train to get back to fun piss me off.

Ribi

Correct me if I'm wrong but Fortnite is not early access.

Also Star Citrizen is close to 11 years in development having gone through the entirey of last gen and almost 3 years into the new gen with no launch window in sight while continuing to be crowdfunded. It's not that hard to see why it gets some shit from gamers.
Fortnite was in beta for 3 years while it made billions of dollars. wHERE IS THE MONEY?

I ask you when did fortnite come out?

Last edited:
I have a friend who is in 25,000$ debt from star citizen. I always quote Xi'an proverbs to troll him to show exactly where the money was spent. I'm in the group of fans who dislike the scope creep. SC's loop of flying with a crew, dropping, and having adventures is phenomenal with the level of detail present. The silly stuff like basic equipment being spread across multiple stations or being forced into choosing a planet as permanent home and having to take a train to get back to fun piss me off.

Holy hell, did they buy one ship or spread the love around and get a bunch of smaller things?

I agree they could have had a release years ago and a sequel or spin off with all the bells and whistles.

I'm holding out until final release, so I hopefully play a pretty polished version as my first go around. I've read and seen some YT vids how there's a number of ways to pay e.g. story/missions vs more a make your own fun sort of thing e.g. Eve Online or Golfing with Friends or sandbox-y stuff etc.

Lasha

Holy hell, did they buy one ship or spread the love around and get a bunch of smaller things?

I agree they could have had a release years ago and a sequel or spin off with all the bells and whistles.

I'm holding out until final release, so I hopefully play a pretty polished version as my first go around. I've read and seen some YT vids how there's a number of ways to pay e.g. story/missions vs more a make your own fun sort of thing e.g. Eve Online or Golfing with Friends or sandbox-y stuff etc.

"That new ship is only 250$...I could move some balances around and still make my payment". A few capital ships as well. It adds up over time. What's wild is that he came in several years after the Kickstarter. Anecdotally, the big spenders I know only came in late.

Star Citizen has plenty to do for the current asking price. Trading, investigation, space combat, and ground combat missions are all implemented to some degree. In-world ship purchasing has been around for awhile as well. The sandbox is fleshed out enough to have fun with friends from time to time. I've definitely had my fun peeking in from time to time since the first build.

"That new ship is only 250$...I could move some balances around and still make my payment". A few capital ships as well. It adds up over time. What's wild is that he came in several years after the Kickstarter. Anecdotally, the big spenders I know only came in late.

Star Citizen has plenty to do for the current asking price. Trading, investigation, space combat, and ground combat missions are all implemented to some degree. In-world ship purchasing has been around for awhile as well. The sandbox is fleshed out enough to have fun with friends from time to time. I've definitely had my fun peeking in from time to time since the first build.

Nice. It's an interesting contrast going from posters who pass judgement on something never played to those early backers becoming jaded to those who so far have entirely enjoyed their experience and are further backing for the full game. It's bloody tempting to dive in and play around. A buddy and I are particularly holding on to play together on release day one, further back if it's a horribly unstable release.

Last edited:

Lasha

Nice. It's an interesting contrast going from posters who pass judgement on something never played to those early backers becoming jaded to those who so far have entirely enjoyed their experience and are further backing for the full game. It's bloody tempting to dive in and play around. A buddy and I are particularly holding on to play together on release day one, further back if it's a horribly unstable release.

I am a Kickstarter backer. I have the 45$ package with my little citizen ID card and all. My pattern involves jumping in for a bit every few months or so. I don't think the game ever gets released. I have spent more on games that I ended up playing less. There's definitely enough present to justify the 45$ starter pack.

I am a Kickstarter backer. I have the 45$ package with my little citizen ID card and all. My pattern involves jumping in for a bit every few months or so. I don't think the game ever gets released. I have spent more on games that I ended up playing less. There's definitely enough present to justify the 45$ starter pack.

It's a fair point. Given the content I have viewed so far there is a solid number of areas and gameplay/mechanics. Looks pretty functional.

And you wonder why storytelling and performance in games sucks so much.
It was great in Last of Us and that had zero academy award nominees - do we think this will even be near that level of writing? And if it was is it necessary to get people at that level? No, you don’t need extremely famous legendary actors to play every single role created - they, at one point, we’re also not famous or legendary, spend the money on finding someone good but doesn’t command that level of pay

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Because it’s totally unnecessary for this type of project, Oldman and Hamill and those guys have very high rates, there’s plenty of great unknowns who can do this type of job just as well
True.

I never understood why games need Hollywood voice overs. It's not like anyone has ever said "Hey, I want to get that game because that actor is in the game". With TV and movies, the presence of the actor on screen can be enough to sell. Games not.

Given how shit the scripts are in video games, it's not like it'll make a difference whether it's Brad Pitt doing a voice over or a no name. Shows on HBO prove you dont need well known Hollywood stars to have well acted/voiced content. HBO shows are historically well regarded and most the actors/actresses on their shows are not mainstream stars.

Utherellus

Because it’s totally unnecessary for this type of project, Oldman and Hamill and those guys have very high rates, there’s plenty of great unknowns who can do this type of job just as well
Hamill and Rhys Davies are old friends of Chris Roberts...
They played lead roles in Wing Commander games back in 90s.
And SQ42 is a spiritual successor of WC.

Most of rest are UK based actors who were also long time acquaintances of him.

Andy Serkis has motion capture studio in UK and he also offered himself as antagonist character.

Henry Cavill reached out to CR himself.

Dunno story about Oldman and Gillian.
Chris has always had circle in Hollywood.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Just going to baloon the budget for this game even more. I just don't understand the point in a game like this. Seems like a giant waste of money/resources on a game that doesn't look to have a release date.

Squadron 42 is an singleplayer game. So it is understandable to use AAA actors.

People here are mixing up Squadron 42 and Star Citizen. Star Citizen isn’t using ant famous actor directly, other then maybe some of the mission givers.

TxKnight7

Look at the facial animation.
Now look at the last of us on ps3

😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣
DdraSbT.gif

its a game with 1 map that made billions of dollars while in early access. Free pass tho
You have some weird beef with Fortnite, for whatever reason, and somehow it's like stuck in your brain and so you're conflating it somehow with this thread. It's very confounding.

Is any of that new, it looks like that youtuber just edited together old footage..
It’s all just show. This game’s development has been nothing but lots of promises and nothing ever materializes. It’s just an endless list of future plans, and lots of smoke and mirrors. S42 clearly does not yet exist, in any form, other than some amount of footage of cinematics spliced together using actors likenesses.

There is no game, and it’s been 10 years. Cut your losses, folks.

I remember reading about this game 10 years ago and knowing for sure it was a scam within the first few minutes. How they are able to string anyone along for this and still milk them for money is just straight-up criminal.

Last edited:
Fortnite was in beta for 3 years while it made billions of dollars. wHERE IS THE MONEY?

I ask you when did fortnite come out?

No idea why you keep bringing up Fortnite in relation to Star Citizen and why you're obsessed with what money Fortnite made.

Also there's google search to use if you want to know when Fortnite came out of early access. Information is really not that hard to come by.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s all just show. This game’s development has been nothing but lots of promises and nothing ever materializes. It’s just an endless list of future plans, and lots of smoke and mirrors. S42 clearly does not yet exist, in any form, other than some amount of footage of cinematics spliced together using actors likenesses.

There is no game, and it’s been 10 years. Cut your losses, folks.

I remember reading about this game 10 years ago and knowing for sure it was a scam within the first few minutes. How they are able to string anyone along for this and still milk them for money is just straight-up criminal.
I dont follow the game like some of you but I remember somewhere around 2017 or 2018 the game had hardly any content to test (if any), yet had promised shit loads of content. So in 5 years they had hardly done anything. I think Squadron 42 was supposed to release in 2016 or 2017. And then there was that giant recap chart someone made years ago showing what they promised to do and it's progress and hardly anything was completed. The big one was that claim of 100 fully explorable planets or solar systems or whatever. At that time, I dont think even 1 planet was complete, never mind 1 complete solar system.

Who knows. Maybe progress has gone much faster lately. I'm just going on what I remember seeing years ago.

Metnut

Why spend so much money on well known actors for cinematics when the game is years later and hundreds of millions dollars over budget?

It is, release date when it's finished.
we don't want another cyberpunk.
that logic doesn't work when you go for an entire decade and still have literally nothing to show for it. Let's not compare anything to this. Cyberpunk was released before it was ready, and needed some more polish for sure, **but it was a content-complete 100+ hour game.

TxKnight7

that logic doesn't work when you go for an entire decade and still have literally nothing to show for it. Let's not compare anything to this. Cyberpunk was released before it was ready, and needed some more polish for sure, **but it was a content-complete 100+ hour game.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Squadron 42 has taken a decade mainly due to a major change around 2016 that the project took. You see, the original single player portion (squadron 42) was just a tutorial for the Persistent Universe (Star Citizen). Early on the two games, Star Citizen and SQ42, where actually just one and sold as such. That version of SQ42 was almost finished around 2016, but Star Citizen was stuck in the mud because the version of CryEngine CIG was working on simply couldn't realize Chris' vision. It was going to take 5 or more years to upgrade and modernize CryEngine to allow the type of persistence online sandbox that Chris wanted. Since SQ42 was merely a tutorial there was no reason to release it, especially since it was apparently terrible with bad flight mechanics and a tacked on FPS system. So they decided to expand SQ42 into its own game and split its development from Star Citizen. Since then SQ42 has been a separate purchase from SC and has ballooned out to be an open world space epic that takes place in the Odin Star System.

For a while SC and SQ42 where developed in tandem with SC getting most of the work. Each shares the same code base so work on one can be used on the other which is how CIG developed until until SC hit a major tech hurdle that ground development of the Persistent Universe to a halt. That tech hurdle was CIGs ability to wrangle CryEngine into something that could support all of SC's systems AND allow world persistence. For this they would need true item persistence tech and a fancy Server Meshing system that simply didn't exist yet in online gaming. So while the tech programmers started hammering away at CryEngine to hopefully fix an issue that would kill SC (and I mean kill the entire project if it doesn't work) about 70% of the company's 800 employees were switched over the SQ42. Overnight CIG basically changed the way it developed the two games. Their new mantra was "we develop new gameplay tech for SQ42 first and then port that to SC". Tech that only SC needed (like salvage) got squeezed off from development resources, and the content going into the Persistent Universe slowed. It has gotten so bad that this year there was only 1 major patch for SC, which is down from the usual 4 major patches a year. CIG has blamed this on the need to finish Persistent Entity Streaming (PES), the first of new Persistence techs that will allow SC to exist in the future, which is true, but one shouldn't ignore the fact that the company has completely shifted to SQ42 leaving a skeleton crew to add content to "The Verse". Also, right now most of the money they having coming in is going to SQ42 which has a lot of people pissed off as this money is mostly from SC ship sales.

The hilarious thing about all of this is if Chris had decided to pitch SQ42 and SC this year he could probably achieve it in half the time due to modern engines (UE5 especially).

The TL/DR of this is that CryEngine and Chris' vision are the reasons SQ42/SC has taken 10 years to develop. The version of CE they are using has basically been completely rebuilt to the point that it isn't really CryEngine anymore, and has tech in it that didn't even exist in gaming 10 years ago. On top of that SQ42 has become a full game that will be launching on PC (and likely Ps5/Series X).

CIG's hope is that SQ42 sales will fund additional growth in the company so that more people can be hired and a sequel to SQ42 can be green lit without hurting SC's development like SQ42 is doing now. 2023 is the year server meshing is brought online in Star Citizen and if content and ship development doesn't pick up after it gets in (ie. if the company doesn't refocuse their employees on SC) the community is going to revolt.

All that said I love SC and I am hopeful for SQ42. CIG is actually attempting to do things that no other big developer is doing right now. I hope they succeed.

Last edited:
Squadron 42 has taken a decade mainly due to a major change around 2016 that the project took. You see, the original single player portion (squadron 42) was just a tutorial for the Persistent Universe (Star Citizen). Early on the two games, Star Citizen and SQ42, where actually just one and sold as such. That version of SQ42 was almost finished around 2016, but Star Citizen was stuck in the mud because the version of CryEngine CIG was working on simply couldn't realize Chris' vision. It was going to take 5 or more years to upgrade and modernize CryEngine to allow the type of persistence online sandbox that Chris wanted. Since SQ42 was merely a tutorial there was no reason to release it, especially since it was apparently terrible with bad flight mechanics and a tacked on FPS system. So they decided to expand SQ42 into its own game and split its development from Star Citizen. Since then SQ42 has been a separate purchase from SC and has ballooned out to be an open world space epic that takes place in the Odin Star System.

For a while SC and SQ42 where developed in tandem with SC getting most of the work. Each shares the same code base so work on one can be used on the other which is how CIG developed until until SC hit a major tech hurdle that ground development of the Persistent Universe to a halt. That tech hurdle was CIGs ability to wrangle CryEngine into something that could support all of SC's systems AND allow world persistence. For this they would need true item persistence tech and a fancy Server Meshing system that simply didn't exist yet in online gaming. So while the tech programmers started hammering away at CryEngine to hopefully fix an issue that would kill SC (and I mean kill the entire project if it doesn't work) about 70% of the company's 800 employees were switched over the SQ42. Overnight CIG basically changed the way it developed the two games. Their new mantra was "we develop new gameplay tech for SQ42 first and then port that to SC". Tech that only SC needed (like salvage) got squeezed off from development resources, and the content going into the Persistent Universe slowed. It has gotten so bad that this year there was only 1 major patch for SC, which is down from the usual 4 major patches a year. CIG has blamed this on the need to finish Persistent Entity Streaming (PES), the first of new Persistence techs that will allow SC to exist in the future, which is true, but one shouldn't ignore the fact that the company has completely shifted to SQ42 leaving a skeleton crew to add content to "The Verse". Also, right now most of the money they having coming in is going to SQ42 which has a lot of people pissed off as this money is mostly from SC ship sales.

The hilarious thing about all of this is if Chris had decided to pitch SQ42 and SC this year he could probably achieve it in half the time due to modern engines (UE5 especially).

The TL/DR of this is that CryEngine and Chris' vision are the reasons SQ42/SC has taken 10 years to develop. The version of CE they are using has basically been completely rebuilt to the point that it isn't really CryEngine anymore, and has tech in it that didn't even exist in gaming 10 years ago. On top of that SQ42 has become a full game that will be launching on PC (and likely Ps5/Series X).

CIG's hope is that SQ42 sales will fund additional growth in the company so that more people can be hired and a sequel to SQ42 can be green lit without hurting SC's development like SQ42 is doing now. 2023 is the year server meshing is brought online in Star Citizen and if content and ship development doesn't pick up after it gets in (ie. if the company doesn't refocuse their employees on SC) the community is going to revolt.

All that said I love SC and I am hopeful for SQ42. CIG is actually attempting to do things that no other big developer is doing right now. I hope they succeed.

Yikes! Sounds like a complete, unmitigated disaster. Be prepared to wait another 10 years/ possibly infinitely more years.

Last edited:

TVexperto

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Yikes! Sounds like a complete, unmitigated disaster. Be prepared to wait another 10 years/ possibly infinitely more years.
Ehh, Chris' vision was just too big for what technology could handle in 2012-2016. That's just what happens with development that is not constrained by a publisher. The technology exists now all they have to do is get it in and polish it. I actually expect squadron 42 to show up at Microsoft's E3 keynote in june of 2023 with a release date of fall 2024. CIG does a good job at keeping people up to date on where they are in development of SQ42 even if they dont "Show" it. All indications (if they are not lying) point to a game that is nearing the end of alpha.

As far as Star Citizen is concerned, I dont think it will ever be "Finished" until the servers shut down as it is a live service "Forever" game. As long as there is money it will be in development. My educated prediction is that SC 4.0 launches fall of 2023 with static server meshing and the new pyro system. 4.x will include the Nyx, Odin (from SQ42 after it launches) and possibly another system along with all game systems at least reaching T1 or T2 implementation (up from a lot being T0 right now). SC 5.0 will launch sometime in 2025 and will include the Terra system and likely hades. We will see T2 and T3 systems implemented as well as dynamic server meshing. Chris Roberts will claim the project is now in "Beta" but that is kind of meaningless given that the game will never be "Finished". After that if the money is still flowing then you will see more and more systems and content introduced until the world ends or the population dies.

Last edited:
Ehh, Chris' vision was just too big for what technology could handle in 2012-2016. That's just what happens with development that is not constrained by a publisher. The technology exists now all they have to do is get it in and polish it. I actually expect squadron 42 to show up at Microsoft's E3 keynote in june of 2023 with a release date of fall 2024. CIG does a good job at keeping people up to date on where they are in development of SQ42 even if they dont "Show" it. All indications (if they are not lying) point to a game that is nearing the end of alpha.

As far as Star Citizen is concerned, I dont think it will ever be "Finished" until the servers shut down as it is a live service "Forever" game. As long as there is money it will be in development. My educated prediction is that SC 4.0 launches fall of 2023 with static server meshing and the new pyro system. 4.x will include the Nyx, Odin (from SQ42 after it launches) and possibly another system along with all game systems at least reaching T1 or T2 implementation (up from a lot being T0 right now). SC 5.0 will launch sometime in 2025 and will include the Terra system and likely hades. We will see T2 and T3 systems implemented as well as dynamic server meshing. Chris Roberts will claim the project is now in "Beta" but that is kind of meaningless given that the game will never be "Finished". After that if the money is still flowing then you will see more and more systems and content introduced until the world ends or the population dies.
At this rate I really feel like our sun will turn red giant and engulf our atmosphere before that happens.

Last edited:

Romulus

Game looks miles ahead of what any console can do. Looks incredible. Been playing since day 1 and it's a lot more fun than most shitty triple a releases these days

Is it an actual game though? After an eon of development and millions of dollars can I actually play a campaign from start to finish?

A few more years and it'll look & feel so dated. I'm just waiting on the inevitable "we couldn't achieve what we wanted with our current engine so we are rebuilding with ue5" ... cue ten more years

Top Bottom