• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam Citizen: Squadron 42 Full 9min Leaked cutscene - No Gameplay

OldBoyGamer

Banned
With that kind of money, the biggest idiot could make this game by paying some people to make it.

What is clearly missing here is leadership to create a realistic timeline and overseeing that the milestones are met. So if Chris Roberts is supposed to play this role, he is doing a very bad job.
You’re saying that and I’m not sure I disagree. But there is clearly a player base out there what he’s doing so… 🤷‍♂️

I remember a friend of mine saying years ago SC will never release- why should it when it’s making so much money without a release

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Why would we care? By the time the game actually (well actually if) launches it's likely I won't be able to even see the screen any more.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Looks great, assuming it's gameplay.

Can crowfunders play it already? Is it at least early acceess?

Backers can play a large part of the persistent universe (The MMO version) and have been able to for a while, with large content and feature updates every quarter.

Actually, everyone can, at semi-regular free weeks (that actually are more like 10 days or so) in which even non-backers get unrestricted access (and inevitably many of them become backers).

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
What this game is doing on a technical side is mind-blowing, I've seen some vids from DF (I guess was it?) that explained all the tech involved and is something never tried before. Even if they'll release it 15yrs from now will still be like nothing seen before. I see why people call it a scam, but after all I'm also glad a team with this kind of ambition have infinite amount of money and time to try develop something revolutionary, or we will have to always stay with the same experiences just with better graphics.

The fun thing with SC is that almost everything in the world is interactible. You will have full control over your ships, and their is no other game with so many ships and fully working/interactible interior. Outposts, stations, underground caves (facilities are coming) etc etc. There is no other game that comes close in these kind of things. I like that you can do a lot of thing without being held by your hands. Most of the fun experiences are from these things.

From CitizenCon 2952 this weekend:

Last edited:
The fun thing with SC is that almost everything in the world is interactible. You will have full control over your ships, and their is no other game with so many ships and fully working/interactible interior. Outposts, stations, underground caves (facilities are coming) etc etc. There is no other game that comes close in these kind of things. I like that you can do a lot of thing without being held by your hands. Most of the fun experiences are from these things.

From CitizenCon 2952 this weekend:

Uh and so you can interact with everything in your ship.
Every rock and building interior modelled to interact with the player.
Interact with all plants life and animals etc. etc.

Where do you draw the line and say enough is enough because no matter how much free time you have you will never be able to appreciate or experience all of the above in this game.

Just throwing shit at the wall is not going to cut it. That's why other developers are successful with their games because they are laser focused on delivering in a certain area be it story and/or fun and engaging gameplay.

What is Star Citizen developers trying to achieve?
Trying to model an entire solar system with hundreds of interactions, simulations and other systems is going to end up in an expensive failure.

If this game came out tomorrow it wouldn't top 10 million in sales because what gamer will want to sink their limited free time into a game that has no clear identity. Also what percentage of PC gamers will have a PC capable of running this at acceptable framerates?

Sometimes too much is too much and it ain't getting you nowhere.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Lmao at consoles "players" saying it looks outdated. The PS5 or Series X/S would just burn trying to run this with the same quality.
You can attack the game on delay, or on the budget, or anything BUT graphically it is one of the best tech demo out there.
I agree. Now when's it coming out?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
People playing it right now definitely seem to be enjoying it.

Perhaps you should try instead of theorycrafting. 😂

PS: it already sold 1.7 million copies and it hasn't even launched. Not bad for an "expensive failure." 😂
1.7 million gullible people. How proud you must be.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
1.7 million gullible people. How proud you must be.

I supported day 1 for lifetime insurance, I am a big Wing Commander fan, and I wanted more WC. I have my golden ticket. But I don't know if it will ever see the light of day. I wonder if this game will launch SQ42 before I turn 50. I pledged 10 years ago...... :messenger_tears_of_joy: I did my $60 pledge and a Tshirt.

MHubert

I get why people think it's a scam (although if people get what they pay for, I can't see how this could be technically true), and I guess I even understand why the mods insist on always changing the title on every SC thread.. SC definitely deserves a healthy share of citicism, that's only a good thing.

But comparing SC to NMS and Elite by saying SC doesn't do anything new.. like.. wat?

Elite Dangerous released a finsihed product. SC still hasn’t come close outside of mild tech demos and absolute bare bones “gameplay” that wouldn’t be acceptable 30 years ago let alone today. You can keep deluding yourself all you like, but you bought into a scam and are too afraid to admit it.
Takes like these are just so incredible.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

PS: it already sold 1.7 million copies and it hasn't even launched. Not bad for an "expensive failure." 😂
How do I get to parts where there is shooting? Because when I played, I could not even find guns.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Inappropriate Behavior
How do I get to parts where there is shooting? Because when I played, I could not even find guns.
I shoot all the time. The game currently has no tutorial so it requires half a brain and some googling to play. They are working on idiot proofing the first few hours in the game for you though. I'll let you know when they finish getting the training wheels in :).

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I shoot all the time. The game currently has no tutorial so it requires half a brain and some googling to play. They are working on idiot proofing the first few hours in the game for you though. I'll let you know when they finish getting the training wheels in :).
Oh rly? Because when I started, I had no gun and could not find any "easily". I just found one on a mission searching a wrecked ship but died just after I got the gun. lol

Garbage posts like these should be bannable; so offended by the man asking a simple question, you jump straight to personal attacks. Your derisiveness is not funny or clever.

Sgt.Asher

Oh rly? Because when I started, I had no gun and could not find any "easily". I just found one on a mission searching a wrecked ship but died just after I got the gun. lol
It's the ultimate life simulation, you have to google where the gun store is, then you have to travel there, wait for the transit, and when you get there you don't have money. So get to work, google where the hanger is, wait for transit again, better eat, get a contract. Oh shit your ship exploded for no apparent reason. Do it all over again

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It's the ultimate life simulation, you have to google where the gun store is, then you have to travel there, wait for the transit, and when you get there you don't have money. So get to work, google where the hanger is, wait for transit again, better eat, get a contract. Oh shit your ship exploded for no apparent reason. Do it all over again
I didn't even know there was a gun store and don't remember seeing one too.

Garbage posts like these should be bannable; so offended by the man asking a simple question, you jump straight to personal attacks. Your derisiveness is not funny or clever.
Let him/her feel smart for letting google teach him/her how to find a gun.

Last edited:

Lasha

There's usually a mission on your smart device that directs you to a planet to clear illegal claims. You have to clear the area then fight into a base on the surface. You can also follow somebody around and just shoot them if that's your fancy.

TVexperto

Honestly I just can’t believe people spend money on this. Are you planning to be able to play it in 2050 when you’re retired?
what makes you think it is ever coming out?

"Ultimate Dream Management" - A new management technique for crowdfunding and the sharing economy unveiled (VHB: A publication - open access)

Dynasty8

Uh and so you can interact with everything in your ship.
Every rock and building interior modelled to interact with the player.
Interact with all plants life and animals etc. etc.

Where do you draw the line and say enough is enough because no matter how much free time you have you will never be able to appreciate or experience all of the above in this game.

Just throwing shit at the wall is not going to cut it. That's why other developers are successful with their games because they are laser focused on delivering in a certain area be it story and/or fun and engaging gameplay.

This is my issue with the game. Yes, the game will look amazing, it'll be interactable and impressive.... but then what?

It seems like that's their main goal. From what I hear, the gunplay/shooting is not as polished. Story? Level design? Fun factor? I'm sure there'll be many people who enjoy it due to its ambitious sandbox and immersion, but it's definitely not my cup of tea.

This is my issue with the game. Yes, the game will look amazing, it'll be interactable and impressive.... but then what?

It seems like that's their main goal. From what I hear, the gunplay/shooting is not as polished. Story? Level design? Fun factor? I'm sure there'll be many people who enjoy it due to its ambitious sandbox and immersion, but it's definitely not my cup of tea.

Exactly. There's no focus in this game if there are this many game mechanics they're just shovelling in.

It will be mediocre in all areas except visuals and as I said before, what percentage of PC gamers out there have rigs powerful enough to run this at max everything. This is an AAA PC exclusive that only caters to a very small percentage of PC gamers.

Same reason people have given fortnite a billion+ dollars. They enjoy the game

Wow, there's a difference. Fortnite is a complete game.

Ribi

Exactly. There's no focus in this game if there are this many game mechanics they're just shovelling in.

It will be mediocre in all areas except visuals and as I said before, what percentage of PC gamers out there have rigs powerful enough to run this at max everything. This is an AAA PC exclusive that only caters to a very small percentage of PC gamers.

Last I checked Fortnite was scrapped for a br mode. In fact it was in beta while it made over a billion dollars. The fucking thing was in beta for over 3 years but you'll just pretend that wasn't the case.

Last I checked Fortnite was scrapped for a br mode. In fact it was in beta while it made over a billion dollars. The fucking thing was in beta for over 3 years but you'll just pretend that wasn't the case.

Is Fortnite a complete game? I ask that question.

Star Citizen is in development for close to a decade with no release date in sight and we're already well into the current gen (having gone through the entirety of last gen without a release)

Last edited:

No thanks. I have a PC capable of playing the game but not interested.

1.7 million copies for a game that's been in development for 11+ years with money continously being sunk into it. I mean best of luck to those invovled shipping this thing out the door when its ready. The more money being thrown at this project, the more 'expensive failure' becomes a reality when it does eventually ship.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Performance isn’t an issue in SC anymore for several patches. It can drop in cities atm, but other then that, the performance is great. SC is CPU limited right now, so running at max settings isn’t an issue.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Ah, the annual Star Citizen/Roberts does a thing thread, hilarity ensues.
As impressive as refactoring Star Engine is, it is so far beyond its original scope that even them teams are literally building on details rather than the bigger picture. Sure, you have something playable, yet it is nowhere near where it should and could have been.

But what they are enjoying is an aftermarket copy of a game that spells so much more potential. Its literally just that, and its not finished.

All that tells me is that people like spending money on unfinished things and are now too deep into the rabbit hole to have some shimmer of healthy realization that what they are playing is a Far Cry (Heh) from what was initially sold to them in 2012.

I realize that people have said the exact same thing in exactly every Star Citizen thread ever. The irony is not lost on me.

I feel it is for Chris.
Bring back another installment of Wing Commander!!
Its called Star Citizen and its not funished yet. Yes i said funished. The real fun is still to be built.

Same reason people have given fortnite a billion+ dollars. They enjoy the game
I don’t understand your point, Fortnite is a finished product that launched. that didn’t take 20 years to make. That didn’t rely on crowdfunding that never amounts to anything after 10 years of delays. That is free to play and costs zero money.

Literally your point makes no sense. The only similarity between Fortnite and Crowd Citizen is that they’re both made by people. Although with the latter you could argue there isn’t anything to make, since the game as promised has yet to exist.

But, sure, “Fortnite and Star Citizen are the same thing”

🙄

Last edited:
They really hired AAA actors for this game? Seems totally unnecessary to spend that type of money on actors for a game like this
The worst is that they literally announced Mark Hamill over *seven years ago*. And there isn’t even gameplay footage to show yet. Like, c’mon. How can anyone defend this crap.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/star...son-mark-hamill-andy-serkis-and-more.1122748/

LOL the first line in the OP is “S42 launches next year.” Omfg, almost 8 years later and they don’t even have gameplay footage to show. This game does not exist, y’all. Read between the lines. The people making all this money are gonna retire rich and never have to deliver you the game.

Last edited:
They really hired AAA actors for this game? Seems totally unnecessary to spend that type of money on actors for a game like this

Just going to baloon the budget for this game even more. I just don't understand the point in a game like this. Seems like a giant waste of money/resources on a game that doesn't look to have a release date.

Just going to baloon the budget for this game even more. I just don't understand the point in a game like this. Seems like a giant waste of money/resources on a game that doesn't look to have a release date.
Yeah, you state the basic problem. But it’s so much worse than that. I think they’ve spent 8 years on literally nothing but planning, just pissing away all the money they raised. It’s honestly like really something government orgs should look into.

Last edited:
Yeah, you state the basic problem. But it’s so much worse than that. I think they’ve spent 8 years of planning, just pissing away all the money they raised.
If they're making headway then fine BUT
why put the time, money and resources to hiring AAA actors?

As I said this game is so large in scope, it seems like a huge waste. Why not just finish off the base game, release it and support it with a constant flow of content updates. I'm sure they'll get a decent amount of the PC crowd buying it day 1.

Or maybe there's more money to be made by continueing down the crowdfuning road, lol. I have no fucking idea but this story is indeed interesting to say the least. I wonder where this game will be 3-4 years from now.

obie

Neo Member
I have no stake in the game. I just enjoy watching it progress. Its been cool to keep tabs on it all these years. Watching the progression and the changes have been fascinating. I dont care when it comes out. Im just here for the ride. Its been pretty cool.

Crayon

Mark Hamil was in Wing Commander 3. I think Malcom Macdowell, too. It's some kind of callback to the glory days.

Ribi

Is Fortnite a complete game? I ask that question.

Star Citizen is in development for close to a decade with no release date in sight and we're already well into the current gen (having gone through the entirety of last gen without a release)
its a game with 1 map that made billions of dollars while in early access. Free pass tho

its a game with 1 map that made billions of dollars while in early access. Free pass tho

As apposed to a spending time/resources/money developing a billon maps that will ultimately end in a game that excellent at nothing but average at everything?

But you can't compare this to Star Citizen though.
Fortnite is done. Complete. You can pick it up anytime, is free to play and is being heavily supported post launch. The same can't be said for SC.

Maybe they stand to make more money down the crowdfunding road instead of launching the base game and supporting it with post launch content like Fortnite. That's just my theory.

Last edited:
Top Bottom