• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam Citizen: Squadron 42 Full 9min Leaked cutscene - No Gameplay

Buggy Loop

What about it is so amazing? Nothing in that gameplay you showed isn't in other games that are completed.

Interested Go On GIF by MOODMAN

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
What about it is so amazing? Nothing in that gameplay you showed isn't in other games that are completed.

100% seamless world no matter where you go, from planet to city, to starship, to whatever. Incredible scale that goes from the super-small detail to the planet-size or even bigger that is actually artist driven (mostly not procedural).

You can drive a buggy into a starship, land that starship into a bigger one, then drive the buggy out, and you're not going through different instances. It's all fully functional and physicalized at all times. You can be piloting a transport and carrying a tank, and being pursued by enemies, and have a buddy drop into the cargo hold, fire up the tank, open the backdoor, and have him shoot the enemies out of space with the tank's main gun while you're still flying around.

There are tons of examples like this. Games usually take shortcuts to create pseudo-similar gameplay that still doesn't work as well, and these shortcuts pull you right out o the immersion. Star Citizen doesn't. It's all there, at all times, all working. There are no artificial limits to what you can do as long as physics allows it.

But you don't really need to take my word for it. All you need to do to realize the difference is try it when there's some free week, which is very often.

Of course, most detractors and doubters are absolutely terrified by the idea of doing that, because being proven wrong is hard. Every time I tell these people "Just try it" they change the topic. After all, the fact that the game is largely playable already debunks their main false argument, which is that the gameplay doesn't exist.

Last edited:

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Because this forum is mostly populated with consoles fans (please note I didn't say fanboys), unable to see beyond their little world and rehashing what they read on Gameblog.
Too sad because there is some REAL critiques that could be made, but "UH OH IT LOOKS OUTDATED UH LAST OF US II GnNnnNnNNnNN"

What's funny is that I saw a few saying "where is the gameplay" while I honestly think the same about TLOU II.
That’s fine. But. Where’s IS the gameplay in that gameplay video??

TheMan

I'll be honest. I keep hoping against hope that this thing will see a polished release, because if they can pull this off it may well be greatest space game of all time. But everything about this saga screams perpetual development for perpetual funding.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I'll be honest. I keep hoping against hope that this thing will see a polished release, because if they can pull this off it may well be greatest space game of all time. But everything about this saga screams perpetual development for perpetual funding.

Even when it'll release, it's a game as a service. It'll get perpetual funding anyway. Likely more than what it gets now.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Man the sad deluded folks are out in droves to defend this scam as usual. Desperate to ignore games like Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky that have done everything Star Citizen promised with a fraction of the cost and years before.

LOL.

Saying that Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky have done the things Star Citizen does means having played none of them, or simply being intentionally disingenuous. They're *very* different games.

Neither achieves the same, and Elite Dangerous went to shit recently exactly because it *tried* (and failed) to imitate some of what Star Citizen offers without doing the required technology homework.

Last edited:
LOL.

Saying that Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky have done the things Star Citizen does means having played none of them, or simply being intentionally disingenuous. They're *very* different games.

Neither achieves the same, and Elite Dangerous went to shit recently exactly because it *tried* (and failed) to imitate some of what Star Citizen offers without doing the required technology homework.

It is OK to admit you got suckered into a scam. I get sunk cost fallacy is a thing, but seriously seek help.

3liteDragon

Lmao, it looks good but nothing special, looks like it can easily be ported to consoles down the road. Future current-gen console only sci-fi titles (if there are any in development) will look leagues better than this.

Nautilus

Banned
Tired of gaming companies using famous people faces for animated, imaginary carachters.

Wish they went for original faces. So that there is zero problems porting this over later AND it simply makes carachters more fun and endearing. And not "Look, its the guy from The Office show!"

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Man the sad deluded folks are out in droves to defend this scam as usual. Desperate to ignore games like Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky that have done everything Star Citizen promised with a fraction of the cost and years before.

Elite Dangarous wished they had a fraction of it. The ground based stuff competely flopped. They just don't have the tech to come even close to SC, doesn't mean the game is bad.

Elite Dangarous wished they had a fraction of it. The ground based stuff competely flopped. They just don't have the tech to come even close to SC, doesn't mean the game is bad.

Elite Dangerous released a finsihed product. SC still hasn’t come close outside of mild tech demos and absolute bare bones “gameplay” that wouldn’t be acceptable 30 years ago let alone today. You can keep deluding yourself all you like, but you bought into a scam and are too afraid to admit it.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Elite Dangerous released a finsihed product. SC still hasn’t come close outside of mild tech demos and absolute bare bones “gameplay” that wouldn’t be acceptable 30 years ago let alone today. You can keep deluding yourself all you like, but you bought into a scam and are too afraid to admit it.

Elite Dangerous was only space combat and empty planets and professions that weren't completely flashed out. They ask money for every DLC. With SC you just pay 45 dollars and your done. There is more variations in content in SC then ED.

I mean a lot of ED players jumped ship last 2 years and jumped over to SC, and this is real.

You can keep deluding yourself all you like, but you bought into a scam and are too afraid to admit it.

That's what you want to convince yourself, instead of others.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I think maybe you should watch again.
Ok, even if we agree on the fact that in-game cinematics are not actual gameplay, tell me what it is @6m40s or @7m15s.
I'll give you a hint: it's what you want.

So yeah next time, make sure to watch the thing before quoting someone to argue.
Gosh I hate to lose my time with this kind of bullshit.

Buggy Loop

As a backer of Elite dangerous and paying $300 to have access to all expansions, no, Elite dangerous never released a complete game. They have feature crept, but the base technology does not allow what SC is trying to achieve. Loading to a planet or out of hyperspace is not the same. They flipped hard when they tried to have walkable NPC and shooting mechanics.

Everyone on ED forum on Reddit is disappointed.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It is OK to admit you got suckered into a scam. I get sunk cost fallacy is a thing, but seriously seek help.

It's ok to admit that you don't know what you're talking about. And you clearly don't.

Star Citizen already gave me (and many, many others) more hours of fun than 99% of other games I've played, and I've spent on it no more than an average collector's edition, so the joke's on you. 😏

Crayon

I guess it's time as a benchmark has come and gone.

Still looks awesome, though. I think this has a shot of being pretty good. I can't wait to get a hold of it. It's a big experiment so if it doesn't work out into a good game, that's all right. I'm just very curious to see what cr can do with this game given the circumstances.

Kikorin

What this game is doing on a technical side is mind-blowing, I've seen some vids from DF (I guess was it?) that explained all the tech involved and is something never tried before. Even if they'll release it 15yrs from now will still be like nothing seen before. I see why people call it a scam, but after all I'm also glad a team with this kind of ambition have infinite amount of money and time to try develop something revolutionary, or we will have to always stay with the same experiences just with better graphics.

Ribi

Elite added fps combat 7 years after an alpha did. Also elite only released in name same with nms. Elite is a early access title with a release sticker on it. How embarrassing that an alpha has more features than a "released" product what a scam to the fans to release a game that's not even done. Someone should investigate frontier

And yet, literally no one else managed to create a game that is even close to what Star Citizen is in its alpha state right now.

Not bad for a "complete incompetent."
With that kind of money, the biggest idiot could make this game by paying some people to make it.

What is clearly missing here is leadership to create a realistic timeline and overseeing that the milestones are met. So if Chris Roberts is supposed to play this role, he is doing a very bad job.

Top Bottom