• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are 25 minutes of gameplay footage from Squadron 42

Looks like Squadron 42 might actually come out in like 2-3 years given the amount and nature of the footage shown in the "I held the line" trailer.
I love immersive games, this looks incredible and they apparently have plans to optimize it, wow, its been years since a game studio did that before release.

Looks like the wait might be worth it.
I think 1-2 years is a safe bet for SQ42. They still need to implement DX12 and Ray Tracing stuff, among many other render tech. SC 4.0 alpha (or beta) is probably by the end of 2024.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I think 1-2 years is a safe bet for SQ42. They still need to implement DX12 and Ray Tracing stuff, among many other render tech. SC 4.0 alpha (or beta) is probably by the end of 2024.

They won’t support DX12 but Vulkan. RT, Vulkan DLSS, FSR will now be added during the polishing phase.

RespawnX

Holiday 2024 is to tight for AAA game, so holiday 2025 or later for SQ42. At least most of the developers moved over to Star Citizen, we should see bigger progress here in the next year. 4.0 for end of 24 seems reasonable.

Last edited:

TxKnight7

20231023_1436267399xisr.gif

20231023_143250670uvdl2.gif

20231023_143103134rffhh.gif

20231023_142933555nnfwr.gif

20231025_180441e8cn4.jpg

Last edited:

Kikorin

More than graphics itself, I like all the interaction, physics and environmental distruction, these are fields that have to be worked out to give games a true next-gen feel. We had reach a good point back in the days, then we started to go back more and more.

So my question to you guys : Is there similar cases where feature creep actually worked in video game before? I'm very well aware of Duke Nukem Forever sadly but I don't recall something as huge as Star Citizen ever came close.
No.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
More than graphics itself, I like all the interaction, physics and environmental distruction, these are fields that have to be worked out to give games a true next-gen feel. We had reach a good point back in the days, then we started to go back more and more.
As TotK kind of shows the more of that you add in the more effort polishing and testing and fixing you will have. If on top of that you keep chasing the latest tech innovation making large changes to your code, you are making a hard problem worse.

It looks good. More varied gameplay than I expected, more than just a ship combat sim. The graphics, that appeared incredible in previously released footage, have sadly become a little dated. That’s to be expected given the ridiculous development window.

Last edited:

Drell

Hey guys I don't even play this game or even planning to do it. But I'm amazed at the ambitions the team who makes it has. I'm also amazed at how haters always call it a scam while it is one if not the most ambitious game ever. I'd rather play this game that feels like some real simulation of an universe, even if there's still a lot of bugs and things left to implement than playing that other "finished" game full of loading screens that break the immersion.

Mowcno

Release date? "It was originally announced for release in 2014 during the Kickstarter campaign"

Only delayed 10+ years after taking everyone's money!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If this is what it looks like it will be, it will be huge.

This is the type of game that rarely comes along, based on the 26 minute video, that makes you feel like new ground is being broke in the genre.

I haven't been this intrigued since GTA3 introduced us to their open world flavor of game.

Hope they put it on Steam.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
It looks good. More varied gameplay than I expected, more than just a ship combat sim. The graphics, that appeared incredible in previously released footage, have sadly become a little dated. That’s to be expected given the ridiculous development window.

You think this looks dated? Against what?

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looks really good. I’d watch a tv series with those visuals

Top Bottom