• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are 25 minutes of gameplay footage from Squadron 42

Crayon

Oh hell yeah. I'm saving watching this for when I get home. Im prepared if it never comes out but I want to see his idea of a new wing commander.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

That video showing the planet scale and jumping to the next area, this is what every scifi game has been saying but this has it all at that scale. It's hard to comprehend and I know some things are farther off than others but this is outstanding. Now you know where all their time and effort has been and is going. Epic is putting it appropriately for me.

I'm watching that seamless going from several planets and systems, the fauna and biomes, the flying whales, and then the jump. Wow.

Just a quick look in the past to understand how far it has come

Peoples keep throwing 2016 date as the GREAT betrayal and that CIG are liars.

A 2016 Squadron 42 would have gotten this landing tech. This was 2014 build and the campaign was built around that.

Forget the jankyness for a minute as it was clearly not "ready" but, the foundation of travelling would have been : scene to go from space to atmosphere, then some white washout, another scene for entry, and then roaming. Would have been the same for takeoff.

Late 2015 Crytek employees helping the project found how to make seamless transitions with the first iteration of procedurally generated planets, for Star Citizen (not on same timeline as Squadron 42 back then)

Then they soft rebooted SQ42, because as you see, it would have been so wildly different experiences between the single player and the MMO. Tech in 2015 was just not ready to shift a single player game to it. The planet procedurals were not there. It would probably also change the whole flow of the single player campaign, It's not a feature you just tack on.

So feature creep had some good things happening for this game, some of it was too much, but some of it I'll gladly accept the delay we got.

Buggy Loop

Star Citizen is like the Theranos of video games.

If you don't know the reference, Google it.

You cracked the case

4230f6aea66d481e72d81727c4d90b13.jpg

Sarcastic Yes Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Red5

The last game from CR in this style (Dreamcast & PC versions). One of the lesser known games at that even though it's the precursor to Freelancer. Still well worth picking up and playing, not exactly a crowded field nowadays and you've probably played all the other classics like Freespace etc.

I still play Starlancer from time to time, Cold War gone hot in space is a rarely visited theme, much like Battlezone. But I thought Starlancer was more Erin Roberts than Chris.

Dlacy13g

Space stuff looks amazing....but the first person stuff on a quick glance looked a bit "floaty" with how the aim reticles moved compared to the guns. Still, its good to see this game finally "feature" complete now will be interesting to see how long the "polish" phase takes.

Ribi

Space stuff looks amazing....but the first person stuff on a quick glance looked a bit "floaty" with how the aim reticles moved compared to the guns. Still, its good to see this game finally "feature" complete now will be interesting to see how long the "polish" phase takes.
They talked about this in a panel yesterday. The reticle is where your barrel is at all times. So as your gun moves so does the cross hair. If you press against a wall that covers the barrel then your cross hair will go to that wall for example.

Meicyn

Gold Member
PC for sure

Rumours are that CIG are meeting with console's big head honchos for publishing. I would imagine it would come at a later date.
Would definitely be onboard if it shipped on console. I backed the Kickstarter when I was still PC gaming and well, I don’t game on PC anymore. Ship it running on PS5 with stripped down graphics and I am there.

calistan

It looks pretty detailed but the framerate seems poor in those first-person sections. Is it even possible to optimise that, or are they waiting for the next generation of graphics cards?

B1rMq2V.png

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It looks pretty detailed but the framerate seems poor in those first-person sections. Is it even possible to optimise that, or are they waiting for the next generation of graphics cards?

B1rMq2V.png
You ever make a game? Then you know it will go with exactly whay they said, polish/optimization. Of course people like me will benefit being on the high end. That's what we do.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Are they really asking their audience for be proud of not demanding the game to be released on the actual date?? Lmao

L*][*N*K

Banned
Yeah I am sorry but those facial animations are pretty bad, to a point it feels like the game was made in 2014 and slept on and used to scam more and more money out of people

Last edited:

YuLY

Anybody that followed this more closely know if we will have cities and stuff in Squadron 42? or is that only in Star Citizen, i've seen some past videos with some cool cyberpunk cities and stuff, wish they would be in the offline game also.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

B1rMq2V.png
Thinking of upgrading to a GTX 770 to make sure I can max this thing out. My rig will be more powerful than a PS4!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
and here is an hour of gameplay from 1942.... which is what I think of everytime I see this thread.

Success

This is what I wanted Starfield to be.

A generational leap and not just another Bethesda game with a space wrapper.

CGNoire

They talked about this in a panel yesterday. The reticle is where your barrel is at all times. So as your gun moves so does the cross hair. If you press against a wall that covers the barrel then your cross hair will go to that wall for example.
Thats not a good idea in general. Im getting Operation Flashpoint shivers.

clarky

Gold Member

Agreed, but this game is 11 years in and a half a billion dollars deep and still not even close to release.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

99% of developers dont have the luxury to have decade long development cycle with stupid amount of budget.......and this game is not even out yet.

If all developers try to be like Star Citizen then we wouldn't be playing any game because they would be still development.

Last edited:
Top Bottom