• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are 25 minutes of gameplay footage from Squadron 42

You think this looks dated? Against what?

I think it looks good visually. It would have looked great ~5 years ago. A real Crysis moment. You are aware it's been in development for > 11 years right? Expectations are high given the castings, lengthy development cycle and eye-watering budget. Also, the fact that this is a PC-only release.

Against what? Current AAA. Every extra year this takes to complete is another year the visual bar increases. We have already had numerous visual tour-de-forces in the past couple of years alone. Character faces and facial animations (particularly the mouths during dialogue) aren't the best we have seen. Does the game have RT? From the trailer, there does appear to be a lack of consistency... also a weird softness to the image at times. I don't want to say anything more; I think the game looks good and I hope they end up bringing Squadron 42 to console.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I imagine they are running this on 4090's?

If it ran decent years ago, I hope the optimizations passes help. Needless to say, I hope it has at least DLSS2 support.

clarky

Gold Member
I think it looks good visually. It would have looked great ~5 years ago. A real Crysis moment. You are aware it's been in development for > 11 years right? Expectations are high given the castings, lengthy development cycle and eye-watering budget. Also, the fact that this is a PC-only release.

Against what? Current AAA. Every extra year this takes to complete is another year the visual bar increases. We have already had numerous visual tour-de-forces in the past couple of years alone. Character faces and facial animations (particularly the mouths during dialogue) aren't the best we have seen. Does the game have RT? From the trailer, there does appear to be a lack of consistency... also a weird softness to the image at times. I don't want to say anything more; I think the game looks good and I hope they end up bringing Squadron 42 to console.

Only CP2077 with path tracing currently looks as good as this does (if its real).

The games unfinished of course it looks uneven, if the implement everything they promised (lol) this will be as next gen as they come.

Trailer blew me away, i backed SC 10 years ago for £20 talk about ROI......

Buggy Loop

The proper address for a superior female officer is “Ma'am”.

Unimpressed Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Sci-fi has used sir for female superiors so many times. A little unknown sci-fi called Star Trek to begin with. To think sci-fi has to be held by real life military decorum is a new one.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

We are excited to announce that Squadron 42 is now feature-complete!As we move into the polishing phase, we’re fully focused on optimizing and fine-tuning all aspects of the gameplay experience to deliver an unprecedented cinematic adventure. To celebrate this milestone, we have gathered our core development leadership from around the globe to share what this means.Thank you for your continued support of Squadron 42.

Don't give more money, but maybe I will get this game sometime in the next 5 years.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

No hope of then finding if he had any cash in it, rumors have it Chris Roberts can smell any money within a 5 mile radius and needs a constant intake to survive.

So I'm assuming each minute in video time relates to a year in polish time before release. I like the physics puzzles, I remember seeing the same one when I played Half-Life 2, I'm looking forward to balancing a weight on one end of a see-saw so I can use it as a ramp. The ground combat kind of sucked, destruction was nice, but it felt like when Starfield first revealed their shooting, I assume its because they don't have unique player and world models and just world models which are animated together for the guns.

I think the issue is they are closer to an ARMA in space, which I guess will draw some people, but when your after Freelancer/Starlancer experience it's not ideal. It's funny that the more focussed experience feels less focussed than the last time I saw it, its sterotypical feature creep.

Last edited:
You can look up how many times I have defended this game over the years, that would be probably zero. But the reverse of your obviously immature and adolescent like comment is something you probably could have done without. So it's okay to throw whatever the terms you want to use, just be aware of that you appropriately reserve to write to be scrutinized for those of us that aren't invested in this game like our life depended on it.

I'm actually observing this and looking that this the way I commented on earlier without having seen or invested a damn thing in this in any significant way. I hope the game is actually good regardless of your own cynical opiniom and if you have invested, which is something you somehow omitted, then the level of cynicism may be warranted. I do get those that want to be critical and laugh at this game is if it's vaporware because it's taken forever.

What I observed in this video today, that is not a game that has not shown the fruits of quite a bit of work. No amount of sarcasm or internet badassery's going to erase those 26 minutes I just watched.

You have a lot of faith in a very cultivated, focused video that no doubt took an extremely long time to slap together. I do not. I’m going off of the overall terrible track record of this game’s development. And I use the term ‘game’ loosely.

Crafted/ edited trailers are one thing. Let’s see how the actual product turns out.

Last edited:

cripterion

This project gets a lot of flak all over the web but you have to recognize the ambition. This video plus the one on the engine and I can't help but think about people going crazy over Starfield persistence or potatoe simulation.

This is a remarkable achievement on itself, it's what I dreamt of what games could provide as a kid, exploring worlds and the seemlessness of it all is just crazy. I hope they optimize it like hell, maybe the game will be bundled with Intel gen 15 or Nvidia 5000 series? 😆

AJUMP23

Gold Member
This project gets a lot of flak all over the web but you have to recognize the ambition. This video plus the one on the engine and I can't help but think about people going crazy over Starfield persistence or potatoe simulation.

This is a remarkable achievement on itself, it's what I dreamt of what games could provide as a kid, exploring worlds and the seemlessness of it all is just crazy. I hope they optimize it like hell, maybe the game will be bundled with Intel gen 15 or Nvidia 5000 series? 😆
I would have preferred the game 5 years ago. But I will take it when I get it.

It happens in the military sometimes, but the true reason is that it's basically a sci-fi trope as well.
It's not a trope, it's literally part of the Navy (that they are trying to change now), but it has been forever that you call women officers above you "sir."

Last edited:

Koenigssee

I still remember when Freelancer almost never got out because it was too ambitious so Microsoft had to step in.

I'll believe when it's on my PC.

Buggy Loop

Looks great and the video is in ultrawide. Day one.

Yesss. I'm now waiting, hopefully, for their direct feed StarEngine demo in ultrawide and 4k resolution. I really hope they upload the videos of the past 2 days of citizencon in direct feed.

I still remember when Freelancer almost never got out because it was too ambitious so Microsoft had to step in.

I'll believe when it's on my PC.

Which is fine. Everyone has to kind of wait until its on their PC either way.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I'm sucking these fucking cutscenes. If they give me a story like CoD: Infinite Warfare with these graphics I'm going to scream.
That’s exactly what you are getting. This game isn’t a pure flight sim like star citizen. Squadron 42 is a Michael Bay like military spectacle, and while it retains its wing commander roots, it will give you a lot of COD campaign like set pieces intermixed with space combat, some light puzzling and social aspects (life on the Idris you are stationed on). It’s starts with you as a gunner at the battle of Vega and then follows your career of being a pilot during the subsequent fight against the Vanduul in the Odin system.

Knowing the lore behind what is going to happen in this game, y’all haven’t seen shit yet. Gary Oldman’s character is a complete badass by the way, and mark Hammel is your space buddy. I am surprised they didn’t show Henry Cavil’s character sense he is so popular right now.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

That’s exactly what you are getting. This game isn’t a pure flight sim like star citizen. Squadron 42 is a Michael Bay like military spectacle, and while it retains its wing commander roots, it will give you a lot of COD campaign like set pieces intermixed with space combat, some light puzzling and social aspects (life on the Idris you are stationed on). It’s starts with you as a gunner at the battle of Vega and then follows your career of being a pilot during the subsequent fight against the Vanduul in the Odin system.

Knowing the lore behind what is going to happen in this game, y’all haven’t seen shit yet. Gary Oldman’s character is a complete badass by the way, and mark Hammel is your space buddy. I am surprised they didn’t show Henry Cavil’s character sense he is so popular right now.

Henry Cavil is in this? I didn't even know.

By the way, I didn't follow the whole thing that close even though I'm a backer, but I was pleasantly surprised at the alien races.

Inside-Star-Citizen_-Plan-of-Gatac-_-Spring-2021-14-15-screenshot.jpg

Fuck yes I want to fight these guys. They nailed it. Feels like what Halo sequels should have been.

Vanduul's capital ship

And their fighters

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

Huge Freespace 2 nostalgia from those.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I don't really care about FPS stuff in the game, but I will play them I guess. I just want to pew pew in my ship.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It seems some people don't really know what Squadron 42 is, and the unfortunate thread merge added to the confusion. Now that the threads are separated again here's a couple of notes.

For one: Squadron 42 is not Star Citizen (edit: well, at least not SC "per se").

Squadron 42 is a story driven single player game and somewhat of a spiritual successor to "Wing Commander".

..While Star Citizen is a sandbox space game in a persistent multiplayer universe.

The two games are being developed concurrently using the same base engine/code.

Another interesting note is that Squadron 42 is what many of us actually pledged for on Kickstarter back in the days, not necessarily the multiplayer SC.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

So is this going to be better than starfield???

🤷‍♂️

After putting 98 hours in Starfield and finishing it, it won't be hard to surpass for me.

Give me a Freespace 2 like campaign, against aliens, with the presentation they have showcased so far, including the seamless solar system that you can go from space station to space to planet to building to cave, etc, and that would 100% surpass Starfield for me.

This scene in the trailer where they go out of quantum drive and have this scene, puts a bigger boner in my pants towards SQ42 than the entirety of my Starfield experience.

F9FNWRxXkAAO2ZI

I wish i could GIF that scene.

LiquidMetal14

Here's the presentation complete with standing ovation and reaction from a fan. You can tell this must be quite a moment for the die hards. I'm jumping on as of that presentation. It's unbelievable.

Last edited:

Spyxos

I'd rather remain skeptical. I've been waiting far too long for sq42 and they haven't given a release date yet again. Not even a year. But what they showed looks impressive.

Last edited:
The art direction looks generic af. Like it's giving me strong Immortals of Aveum vibes due to how generic it all looks. Also lmao at the people saying they needed to get the physics and destruction right as the reason it's taking so long. As if the didn't have bfbc2, bf3, etc running with destruction physics on the ps360.

LiquidMetal14

That video showing the planet scale and jumping to the next area, this is what every scifi game has been saying but this has it all at that scale. It's hard to comprehend and I know some things are farther off than others but this is outstanding. Now you know where all their time and effort has been and is going. Epic is putting it appropriately for me.

I'm watching that seamless going from several planets and systems, the fauna and biomes, the flying whales, and then the jump. Wow.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Well I really don't care for Star Citizen but I loved Wing commander back in the days and this reveal is awesome. I'm sold for a high budget solo space fighting game featuring as a bonus fps on foot, some puzzles and exploration. Now will it be available before I die of old age we will see, but damn I miss those games.

Bry0

Sounds impressive, can’t wait to see the next trailer in 2027 when Chris says they have entered the “final” polish phase.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The last game from CR in this style (Dreamcast & PC versions). One of the lesser known games at that even though it's the precursor to Freelancer. Still well worth picking up and playing, not exactly a crowded field nowadays and you've probably played all the other classics like Freespace etc.

Top Bottom