• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Cafe: What are your hopes?

Ookami-kun said:
Where are people getting that Star Fox post 64 has deep story anyway? Adventures is pretty much has just a generic adventure and Assault just has a homage/rip-off of the Borg. Only Command has some "semblance" of a story.

Seriously.
Who?

I don't see anyone praising SF64's story, it's more like unanimous bashing of any attempt of story post SF64.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Metroid Killer said:
Who?

I don't see anyone praising SF64's story, it's more like unanimous bashing of any attempt of story post SF64.

Yeah, but posts like...

Binabik15 said:
No "story"

...gives it an assumption that they tried to add story, when in fact they didn't. Like I said, SF64 just has the same amount of "plot" as did the later ones sans Command have.

thefro

Star Fox 64 style campaign
No on-foot segments unless they can make it fun
4-player online or cafe controller campaign co-op
Both Star Fox campaign and Star Wolf campaign
Star Fox/Star Wolf campaigns intersect for counter-op levels during campaign mode
Awesome multiplayer with dogfighting and some neat FPS-inspired modes (Team mode, destroy the core, control the sector, etc).
Gain XP and upgrade your Arwing/purchase new ships.

Ookami-kun said:
Yeah, but posts like...

...gives it an assumption that they tried to add story, when in fact they didn't. Like I said, SF64 just has the same amount of "plot" as did the later ones sans Command have.
Hmm perhaps you are right, but anyway I agreed fully that the plot is hardly existent in any of the games. Though that doesn't change that the minimal amount of plot story, dialogue and what not in the games after SF64 was still worse.

Just like Mario is a vessel for awesome platform games, Fox needs to be a vessel for awesome arcady on-rail shooter games.

Boss Doggie

Metroid Killer said:
Hmm perhaps you are right, but anyway I agreed fully that the plot is hardly existent in any of the games. Though that doesn't change that the minimal amount of plot story, dialogue and what not in the games after SF64 was still worse.

Just like Mario is a vessel for awesome platform games, Fox needs to be a vessel for awesome arcady on-rail shooter games.

About the dialog - 64 has this barrier called the nostalgia barrier as far as dialog is concerned. It's the same stupidity that Star Ocean 2 fanboys have that horrible voice acting is much better than plain or decent voice acting.

And like I said, Assault could have been a great multiplayer arcade experience but apparently it was cut short.

Ookami-kun said:
About the dialog - 64 has this barrier called the nostalgia barrier as far as dialog is concerned.
I always wonder about this everytime I reminisce about SF64 . But I've always loved the SF64 voices(in the corny silly way), even back when I played it. Now I know that may just be because I was younger back then, but I still believe that the voices were better in SF64, especially when it comes to main character's such as Fox, Falco and Peppy, they just sounded so soulless in Assault. Some characters did have great voices in assault (Gen. Pepper for example), the bad just outweighted the good imo.

And perhaps it could just be how the lines were written?

It'd be interesting see if SF64 had new voices and wether old fans would still like them or not.

Boss Doggie

I thought Slippy got better (I definitely prefer his Assault/Brawl voice). But I do agree on Peppy and some others. Fox... eh, never liked his English voice regardless. I dunno about Falco getting accent. Leon was meant to be a psycho like in his Japanese version, not some "classy" bullshit (
and he's supposed to have this weird gay lingo like calling Falco Mr. Birdie (tori-san!) in a weird, flirty manner
). Same with Wolf (and I prefer Engineer over Soldier).

ZiZ

ReyVGM said:
Go here if you want to see all 9 of Star Fox Command's ridiculous endings:

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/nds/a/starfoxcom.htm

Check the one where Krystal changes her name to KURSED because she was being haunted by her past. *groan*

these endings are hilarious. it's like they went out of their way to to find the worst starfox fanfic out there and couldn't decide which one to choose, so they just used all of them.

also, was I the only one that liked starfox adventures? it's no Starfox 64 that's for sure but I thought it was nice. (except for the shitty ending and introducing krystal)

CaVaYeRo

DECK'ARD said:
Treasure%20logo.JPG
/thread

but seriously, with high production values. It's Starfox, it's Nintendo Star Warssss!

Shiggy said:
You mean like this original concept?
In its defense, before it got that ugly semi-realistic makeover when the Fox franchise was applied I really liked the art style Rare was using for Dinosaur Planet.
943600-dppaper_super.jpg

Astrosanity said:
In its defense, before it got that ugly semi-realistic makeover when the Fox franchise was applied I really liked the art style Rare was using for Dinosaur Planet.
943600-dppaper_super.jpg

Really comes through in the original N64 graphics :p

943648-dpshot1.jpg

Don't take this away from me, I need to salvage SOMETHING from Rare's last Nintendo console game besides the David Wise soundtrack :(

I honestly don't think the final game's that bad beyond being a pretty blatant Zelda-clone

EDIT: Sympathy towards Adventures weird end-result aside, I agree with everyone that if Starfox 64 3DS does well, Nintendo should just continue on from there and pretend nothing afterwards ever happened. It's honestly awkward seeing Peppy regulated to a supporting characters in the later games, and as others have said Krystal's presence in the games is all rather suspect at this point (though I have absolutely no idea what the overall SF fanbase is like compared to say, Sonic the Hedgehog).

Oppo

TekkenMaster said:
Over the past 7 years Star Fox has skyrocketed in popularity and cultural awareness...
...but also due to a new gen of players who have discovered the awesome gameplay, music, graphics and art style of the first two games.

I don't think I could find anyone outside of GAF who even remembers Star Fox.

Seriously, skyrocketed? This is the epitome of a wishful thinking thread. I do hope you get your wish though, 'cause I think you need this game, OP.

(Ah, didn't know about the 3DS up-port version. But still. I wouldn't call it a big franchise anymore.)

apana

There is nothing wrong with Starfox having a story but the story should be like a saturday morning cartoon with funny dialogue and good voice acting as opposed to cheesy space soap opera. Gotta admit tho that Dash as Space Hitler is awesome. Anyways basically just give me more Starfox 64 fuckers. Which EAD group is responsible for Starfox anyways? I feel like even I could make a decent Starfox game if given a team of game designers. Really surprised that we haven't gotten one for the Wii. I think it was a mistake.

Bentendo

I just hope they remove all of these God awful plots that they needlessly force into each Star Fox game. There's no need for all of this complicated bullshit and it's primarily what killed the franchise (well, maybe not primarily).

Just make the game crazy as Hell. Assault had the potential to be such a good game and for the first 10 or so minutes I thought it would. Then came the ground missions.

apana

Bentendo said:
I just hope they remove all of these God awful plots that they needlessly force into each Star Fox game. There's no need for all of this complicated bullshit and it's primarily what killed the franchise.

Just make the game crazy as Hell. Assault had the potential to be such a good game and for the first 10 or so minutes I thought it would. Then came the ground missions.

Here's how I would do it:

Reboot with James McCloud Story-----> Remake of Starfox 64 in HD------> Sequels: These are like Saturday morning cartoons. Fox and Company go to new solar systems. Fight bad guys and win.

The furriness of this series is unbearable, so keep the story to a minimum. Hopefully nothing much more than dialogue during the gameplay to outline where you're going next and what you're going to destroy. Maybe a short explanation of why.

Boss Doggie

Bentendo said:
I just hope they remove all of these God awful plots that they needlessly force into each Star Fox game. There's no need for all of this complicated bullshit and it's primarily what killed the franchise (well, maybe not primarily).

Again, what complicated plot? Only Command did it and it's the worst one in the series.

I want to RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Boney

Banned
Binabik15 said:
Star Fox 64 gameplay
No "story"
If on foot stuff is used, rip-off this game

7hVQB.jpg

Star Wars Rebel Assault 2
This game was amaaaazing!

And hey didn't anybody else feel that Arwings in Assault were slow as fuck? both free range and on-rails. That's probably what pissed me most about the game.

Boss Doggie

Boney said:
And hey didn't anybody else feel that Arwings in Assault were slow as fuck? both free range and on-rails. That's probably what pissed me most about the game.

I felt it too... but in multiplayer it was fine. I guess it's one of the aspects too.

Vinci

Danish
First of all, you would be lucky to see a new Star Fox on a console. Secondly, when did Star Fox boost in popularity recently? Probably 1/1000th of the current gaming audience can even remember the name, and far fewer want to play one.

apana

revolverjgw said:
The furriness of this series is unbearable, so keep the story to a minimum. Hopefully nothing much more than dialogue during the gameplay to outline where you're going next and what you're going to destroy. Maybe a short explanation of why.

With the power of HD we will be able to see the individual strands of hair on Fox's body, each one will be painstakingly modeled.

apana said:
With the power of HD we will be able to see the individual strands of hair on Fox's body, each one will be painstakingly modeled.

all the more for yiff fans to get off on Fox/Krystal (or Wolf/Krystal) fanfics

Boss Doggie

From The Dust said:
all the more for yiff fans to get off on Fox/Krystal (or Wolf/Krystal) fanfics

I find it funny that Krystal's being attributed to the furriness when in fact it's been there since 64 (kinda like Renamon when furriness existed in Digimon waaaay before her). Thank goodness Japan is still decent enough not to like her!

ib4VGCatsComic

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stylized graphics that make characters look similar to stop motion animation in The Fantastic Mr Fox.

Please.

Originals soundtrack & sense of speed.
Online multiplayer. Make it like like assault but improved.
Make it kinda like Star Fox 2 some much potential there.

If they make that game right it would be awesome.

Ookami-kun said:
I find it funny that Krystal's being attributed to the furriness when in fact it's been there since 64 (kinda like Renamon when furriness existed in Digimon waaaay before her). Thank goodness Japan is still decent enough not to like her!

ib4VGCatsComic

I never said Krystal started it. she is the most prominent female character in the series so obviously she will star in the most love/rape fics fur fans will make. of course Fox/Falco and Fox/Wolf fans will want her to die for their ships

Bentendo

Ookami-kun said:
Again, what complicated plot? Only Command did it and it's the worst one in the series.

I want to RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

I guess I shouldn't say "complicated". What I meant was they really shouldn't include a plot at all (besides a very basic one). It's been brought up before when talking about other franchises that the more depth you give a character, the less likely that franchise will be able to stay alive for a long time. You can say that Zelda has some interesting stories, but most of the characters in the franchise that are memorable (like Skull Kid, Midna and Linebeck) are one or two timers. They don't give Link much depth, and even with that little depth they DO give him, the next game features a completely different incarnation of the character, thus removing the history they introduced in the previous game and making everything fresh.

With Fox they give him an annoying love interest and an annoying history and thus turn him and the franchise off for a lot of people. In spurts his voice is completely fine, just like Mario's. But when he goes on and on you just want to strangle his fuzzy neck. Star Fox 64 was perfect because the characters just had one liners. With Adventures, Assault and Command they gave each character a stupid background, more lines and made the franchise less likable, kind of like Metroid: Other M. Samus was such a perfect character because she was for the most part mute, and was on par with Link and Mario. Now they give her this terrible story that no one likes that was derived from a comic book, and a lot of people's opinion of her dwindled. You can say that the game didn't do that for you personally, but it did it for A LOT of people, which is not good for Nintendo, not good for the series and not good for the fans. Metroid Prime was hardly even about Samus. And you know what? It was great!

If Nintendo wants to reboot the Star Fox series, they're going to have to look at what makes Mario and Zelda timeless. The same thing can apply to Pokemon (new character each generation, mute character) and Kirby (character has very little depth).

Utako

Banned
Starfox and Starfox 64 were highly innovative titles. Everything that followed consisted of phoned-in trash.

My best hope for Starfox Cafe is that it would try to do things that have not been done before.

Vinci

Danish
Utako said:
Starfox and Starfox 64 were highly innovative titles. Everything that followed consisted of phoned-in trash.

My best hope for Starfox Cafe is that it would try to do things that have not been done before.

Screen on the controller shows a rear view that, when pressed, can shoot lasers or artillery at ships behind you.

First of all, it can't be called Star Fox Cafe.

Second thing, I don't ever want to see any character in a Star Fox game with legs ever again. They eat, sleep, and piss in their R-Wings. They don't have a lower body and I'll happily sacrifice a cool scramble scene to avoid the potential greater evil.

Third, traditional controller enabled. Button remapping optional because SF 3DS is already scaring me with the shoot button mapped to "A". That's just nasty.

And last, indepentant leaning/rolling mapped to "L" and "R" because that was reduced to one button in Assault and it wasn't cool.

Thank you.

Boss Doggie

Bentendo said:
With Fox they give him an annoying love interest and an annoying history and thus turn him and the franchise off for a lot of people. In spurts his voice is completely fine, just like Mario's. But when he goes on and on you just want to strangle his fuzzy neck. Star Fox 64 was perfect because the characters just had one liners. With Adventures, Assault and Command they gave each character a stupid background, more lines and made the franchise less likable, kind of like Metroid: Other M. Samus was such a perfect character because she was for the most part mute, and was on par with Link and Mario. Now they give her this terrible story that no one likes that was derived from a comic book, and a lot of people's opinion of her dwindled. You can say that the game didn't do that for you personally, but it did it for A LOT of people, which is not good for Nintendo, not good for the series and not good for the fans. Metroid Prime was hardly even about Samus. And you know what? It was great!

Except that Adventures and Assault didn't have that. At ALL. Of course Krystal, and only Krystal, has that, but she's a plot tumor and we don't like her anyway.

Really now - Adventures only had "save the planet by entering tests!" Assault only had "the Borg-I mean Aparoids are coming!" There's no background, no huge plot... NOTHING!

Also, Samus already had a background - it was called Metroid manga - and even the Metroid series have an ongoing story. Hell, even Metroid Fusion added more to her depth. Other M just handled it poorly.

From The Dust said:
I never said Krystal started it. she is the most prominent female character in the series so obviously she will star in the most love/rape fics fur fans will make. of course Fox/Falco and Fox/Wolf fans will want her to die for their ships

Straight shipping? Hah! XD

supabrett said:
Make it kinda like Star Fox 2 some much potential there.

It was called Command. And it sucks.

I would love it if they went the minimalist direction and it looked like Starfox SNES, just sharper and possibly voxel explosions. But I know that would never happen.

Boney

Banned
From The Dust said:
i uhhh what?

Boss Doggie

supabrett said:
I didn't play command, but if they make SF2 with more variety it would kill 64.

If not just copy the first one & they got my $60.

As someone stated before, SF2 pretty much contains what everyone hated in other games found outside of SF64. Always all-ranged? Pointless "map" mode? Pointless "encounter" mode? Yeah.

Speaking of Star Fox being made... (this is why I love the Japanese fandom of Star Fox a lot more)

Oh and this one too!

From The Dust said:
why not? what would you call it? Star Fox 2?
It sounds stupid.

The system will be renamed anyway, just like they always are. I hope.

Something similar to Assault would be cool. There are a lot cooler things they can call Star Fox besides Cafe.

Bentendo

Ookami-kun said:
Except that Adventures and Assault didn't have that. At ALL. Of course Krystal, and only Krystal, has that, but she's a plot tumor and we don't like her anyway.

Really now - Adventures only had "save the planet by entering tests!" Assault only had "the Borg-I mean Aparoids are coming!" There's no background, no huge plot... NOTHING!

Also, Samus already had a background - it was called Metroid manga - and even the Metroid series have an ongoing story. Hell, even Metroid Fusion added more to her depth. Other M just handled it poorly.

Oh yeah? Well.... erm, I'm right, you're wrong, so... shut up. :(

Ookami-kun said:
Freeformed flight.

aw, that's what I want from the next Star Fox :<

Dark Octave said:
It sounds stupid.

The system will be renamed anyway, just like they always are. I hope.

Something similar to Assault would be cool. There are a lot cooler things they can call Star Fox besides Cafe.

well duh, everyone here knows Cafe is the codename. but since the game isn't even announced (and the games that won't have an official title yet) what else you you call it?

From The Dust said:
aw, that's what I want from the next Star Fox :<

well duh, everyone here knows Cafe is the codename. but since the game isn't even announced (and the games that won't have an official title yet) what else you you call it?
I gotcha. I'm talking about in the tiny chance they do go with Cafe. Not about this thread.

As much as it makes my eyes bleed to see it, calling it Star Fox Cafe makes sense for speculation purposes.

SykoTech

Oh man. Them Command endings...

Anyway, I don't really have a specific blueprint for what I want. If they wanted to make a semi-rail shooter I'd be fine with it, but I also have no problem with opening things up more or even bringing back other modes like on-foot and the Landmaster. Just, you know, try to make them fun this time.

Just nothing to do with Dinosaur Planet storywise. Specifically Krystal.

Top Bottom