• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Cafe: What are your hopes?

Stylo

Ookami-kun said:
Hell no! Keep your fucking awful dialog. Fucking nostalgia.

Engineer Wolf >>>>>>>>>>>>> Soldier "faux British" Wolf

I'll admit that Wolf's voice has improved. The Star Fox team has suffered though. Fox's 1st english and japanese VA was so good.

Ookami-kun said:
As someone stated before, SF2 pretty much contains what everyone hated in other games found outside of SF64. Always all-ranged? Pointless "map" mode? Pointless "encounter" mode? Yeah.

Speaking of Star Fox being made... (this is why I love the Japanese fandom of Star Fox a lot more)

Oh and this one too!

Yeah but if they combine the good on rails & music of the first one with the elements brought on in the second one It could be perfect. At least the way I'm imagining it.

You know what, just give me the Star Fox 64 formula with better graphics, new stages, branching paths and throw in the mothership approach scene/level from part one (music and all) cause that was badass.

And someday before I die I would love to play the finished but cancelled Star Fox 2 for SNES.

Vinci said:
Secondly, when did Star Fox boost in popularity recently? Probably 1/1000th of the current gaming audience can even remember the name, and far fewer want to play one.

Maybe I'm wrong about Star Fox's popularity...I basing it partly on the huge amount of memes and fanfics that have appeared over the past 6 or 7 years.

apana

TekkenMaster said:
Maybe I'm wrong about Star Fox's popularity...I basing it partly on the huge amount of memes and fanfics that have appeared over the past 6 or 7 years.

That really isn't an indicator of anything. I'll be interested to see what the sales of Starfox 64 on 3DS are.

giggas

Dark Octave said:
You know what, just give me the Star Fox 64 formula with better graphics, new stages, branching paths and throw in the mothership approach scene/level from part one (music and all) cause that was badass.

And someday before I die I would love to play the finished but cancelled Star Fox 2 for SNES.

You can do this you know. Or do you mean the legal way?

Also I agree, would love to have a new SF that is basically just SF64 on roids.

M-PG71C

The fact they would make one would make me very happy. All they need to do is look at SF64 for design. I don't give a damn if someone spouts it is "antiquated". I don't need "land missions" and the like, just good ol' on-rails action with plenty of fancy graphics! That's what sold me on Panzer Dragoon as a kid lol :D

Dark Octave said:
I gotcha. I'm talking about in the tiny chance they do go with Cafe. Not about this thread.

As much as it makes my eyes bleed to see it, calling it Star Fox Cafe makes sense for speculation purposes.
How do you feel about Super Mario 3D/S

apana said:
That really isn't an indicator of anything. I'll be interested to see what the sales of Starfox 64 on 3DS are.

Just the fact that Nintendo is remaking StarFox 64 on 3DS shows that they believe the franchise still has plenty of fans.

likeGdid

I don't think I'm alone in thinking all-range mode was a rather unpleasant experience. So much turning around!

I barely remember SF:A multiplayer, but I believe you could stand on your arwing in mid-flight and shoot at stuff, which I thought was absurdly amazing and would be an appropriate game mechanic

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
likeGdid said:
I don't think I'm alone in thinking all-range mode was a rather unpleasant experience. So much turning around!

I barely remember SF:A multiplayer, but I believe you could stand on your arwing in mid-flight and shoot at stuff, which I thought was absurdly amazing and would be an appropriate game mechanic

Yeah you can in Assault.

Gravijah

Ookami-kun said:
ointless "map" mode? Pointless "encounter" mode? Yeah.

I wouldn't call them pointless, but the finished project just wasn't as good as SF64 or SF1. Really needed more time in the oven... Which is why it was cancelled, I suppose.

Boney

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:
so people think starfox 64 was better than the original? i have way more memories of the original.
problem with the original is that the snes just can't handle it.

Giolon

I'm not entirely sure why people react to Krystal the way they do. The promotional pinup artwork is kind of awkward, but that has no bearing on the actual game. She can serve a valid purpose as as squad member that's not just Furry wank material.

Given the rest of the cast, this series needs some females in it. Slippy doesn't count.

Loam

I think the reason more people seem to like Star Fox 64 over the original is that because its aged a lot better. As impressive as the first game was at the time, as Boney kind of said playing it now gives me the impression of watching a slideshow.

Ookami-kun said:
Speaking of Star Fox being made... (this is why I love the Japanese fandom of Star Fox a lot more)
The hell happened to Peppy?

Utako

Banned
Vinci said:
Screen on the controller shows a rear view that, when pressed, can shoot lasers or artillery at ships behind you.
Man, I can't wait for Cafe. Sooo fertile for ideation. The Wiimote really was as bad as GAF said.

Here's hoping it exists, for one.

For all the shit Assault & Command get/got/are going to get, I thought they were both shitloads of fun.

Nintendo should give it to the guys/gals at Kuju. Batallion Wars 2 felt like it could have been the groundwork for a fun Starfox title.

Gravijah

Wren said:
I think the reason more people seem to like Star Fox 64 over the original is that because its aged a lot better. As impressive as the first game was at the time, as Boney kind of said playing it now gives me the impression of watching a slideshow.

I just played it a few weeks ago. It's fine!

It depends on how Nintendo plans to release the game. If it's DD only, I'd like something similar to Starfox 64 with linear levels and multiple path.

If they choose to release it on a disc, then I want an improved Star Fox Command. Command was bad because of the ridiculous story and the lack of linear levels, but they can definitely improve on the strategic aspect of the game. They have 2 solid tactical licences (Advance Wars and Fire Emblem), so they know their stuff. It's not like they can't put linear levels here and there in the campaign. It would be nice to have an arcade mode to supplement the main campaign mode too. I tend to get bored of the old Starfox after 30 minutes or so, so maybe they could make a smaller game that focus heavily on making high scores.

People hate Starfox Command, but I don't think the Command aspect was to blame, it was a pretty neat idea, but the game had its share of problem, like the stylus gameplay due to the lack of analog stick, the stupid and pointless cut scenes/story, the lack of variety. But I have the same problem of repetitiveness with the old Starfox, and the command aspect made the DS game finally enjoyable to me, to this day, it's the only Starfox game I ever finished, I always get bored always, the lack of checkpoint/save system didn't help though.

I wouldn't mind another attempt at third person shooting, especially if a western developper like Retro Studio is developping the game, but if it's from Japan, they'd better stick to vehicles...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If there's one thing I only liked in Command, it's that each character has their own ship statistics and that you have a bit more varied squad. With that said, Leon was pretty useless there (huge armor but lacks lasers, only lock-ons) whereas Wolf, Panther and James are broken.

Wren said:
The hell happened to Peppy?

They need an Alphonse! Or Alexander. Just think of FMA

Speaking of which (since I have too much time in my hands):
CnNyB.png
CpSSE.png
50lS4.png
mqg5U.png
cKAEx.png
ZC7r7.png
sQ63L.png
IqFUo.png
QMI5t.png
l99P6.png

qERmz.png
jPWhE.png
qJSrT.png
02XmE.png
8Lrdx.png
QlqAB.png

oO6M3.png
lAlis.png
Wnbjd.png
9k8t4.png

I don't understand the complaints about repetitiveness re: StarFox SNES and SF 64.

With the branching paths within a level, 3 difficulty paths to get to the final boss, lots of secrets, and amazing and diverse music, visuals, and enemies, there's just so much there.

I loved playing levels multiple times and becoming perfect at annihilating every single enemy...that's the only way it can ever get "repetitive".

Daschysta

A 3rd person adventure about dinosaurs featuring a love interest for fox along with sonicesque shitty friends and melodrama.

But really an expanded beautiful game in the vein of SF64 would be amazing, larger maps, 60 fps locked, multiple branching paths...

The controller screen could be used in some cool ways too, perhaps communications from your team could come through it, kindof an update to the things suda did in NMH with the controller as a phone kind of thing, or perhaps the ability to create cusom plane maneuvers on the touch screen to be mapped to a button... I'm sure nintendo will think of something infinitely cooler but there are all kinds of possibilities with the unique controller and powerful hardware.

Daschysta said:
The controller screen could be used in some cool ways too, perhaps communications from your team could come through it, kindof an update to the things suda did in NMH with the controller as a phone kind of thing, or perhaps the ability to create cusom plane maneuvers on the touch screen to be mapped to a button... I'm sure nintendo will think of something infinitely cooler but there are all kinds of possibilities with the unique controller and powerful hardware.

I have so many great memories of 4 player deathmatch multiplayer in Starfox 64. Imagine that with each person having a screen all to himself!

Brera

Banned
1. No vehicles other than Arwings unless we get more landmaster levels like the train level.
2. Awesome music like in the 1st SNES game.
3. Awesome cheesy voice acting
4. Straight up hardcore non stop shooting action. I want thumb blisters from all the barrell rolling!
5. Difficulty to be more like Expert mode in SF64!
6. No free roaming modes. Hardcore linear action please! Makes it much easier to script awesome setpieces (independence day level is dull and over hyped)
7. EAD to make it.
8. shitloads of secrets and replayability.
9. No multiplayer bullshit!
10. Awesome art design!

star fox snes was great, though even today i still can't beat it :mad:

I can never beat the left or right paths, just the middle and when i get to Venom i can't beat the master before Andross, grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

*throws snes out the window*

i'll beat it some day haha

Brera

Banned
bgassassin said:
Resurrected Factor 5 to develop the game.

EAD or bust!

No more C string teams please!

If Nintendo can't be bothered with it then let the series die. Oh and keep SM away from it. He's way past his prime!

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Ever since Assault, I've been wanting an online Starfox where there are 2 wars being waged at once, one in space, the other on the planet's surface. There is an objective in space and on the planet, and 32 people on each team can seamlessly travel from space to the planet to finish those objectives. If you are doing well on the planet, but not so hot in space, you would have to transfer some people to space, and that's as simple as flying up and accelerating to go beyond the atmosphere. If you need to go to the planets' surface, just fly toward the planet and accelerate appropriately.

As far as single player, I really want something similar to Starfox 64, but bring in ground elements that WORK. I think on-foot missions would be cool, but you have to make them work. I liked Assault, I would give it a solid 6/10... but it needed better on-foot missions.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
My hopes that are that this doesn't exist, and Nintendo gives up on one of the worst IPs in favor of something new.

I know everyone hates on Starfox Assault, but the game had some good things going for it:

- Orchestrated Music
- The Starship only sections were well done
- The Parts where you held the plasma gun (or whatever it was called) on the wing of a ship and shot down enemies on rails was nice.

they just need to make a starfox assault that has less on-foot parts (not none, but minimize it to being merely a means of transitioning from one vehicle to the next and anti-aircraft machinery) and more variation in vehicles. Starfox shouldn't have less vehicle variety than the Halo series at the very least.

Brera said:
EAD or bust!

No more C string teams please!

If Nintendo can't be bothered with it then let the series die. Oh and keep SM away from it. He's way past his prime!

Nah. I'm still holding onto the Rogue Squadron days and writing off Lair as an anomaly.

Brera

Banned
cuyahoga said:
My hopes that are that this doesn't exist, and Nintendo gives up on one of the worst IPs in favor of something new.

lol this guy!

I bet you think Nintendo is all Pikmin and Animal Crossing?

SF is one of their best series. It's sad it's been decimated and destroyed.

Brera

Banned
bgassassin said:
Nah. I'm still holding onto the Rogue Squadron days and writing off Lair as an anomaly.

Rouge Squadron was all graphics! SF is in a different league. I would prefer Smilebit or Treasure if it had to be 3rd party. Namco did a decent job though!

Brera said:
Rouge Squadron was all graphics! SF is in a different league. I would prefer Smilebit or Treasure if it had to be 3rd party. Namco did a decent job though!

I wouldn't say it was all graphics (although definitely one of its strongest points). Don't get me wrong as I'd like to see Treasure do it as well, but I think F5 could do it justice as well as long as you keep them away from sixaxis.

Odoul

I'm a proud graphics whore. So they'll need to take care of that aspect.

Game Play should be based off of 64. On rails, Arwing, Tanks, Subs, some free fly missions.

Art should like the original's box and manual. Make them to scale. Look like actual fox/falcon/puppets, just wearing pilots uniforms.
starfox_box.jpg

Atmosphere should be a mixture of Gundam , Heinlen and Pitch Black.

Won't happen but it's what I'm hoping for.

Top Bottom