• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero |OT| The Fox Awakens

I've sought help for medals yeah, I have bought the prima guide of this because 1) I needed a Poster of Starfox Zero for my room lol 2) I was not sure at first(If I will like this game or not because I have pre-ordered it before the game in case I want to conquer the game) but when I see it was about damn time I haven't had such a fun with a game, then I decided to get all the medals(I rarely do that). So yeah like 10 medals tokens on Zoness for both arwing and Gyrowing. Not really liked missions from this planet, it was ok to try a new vehicle with a new gameplay but in the end I prefer the aqua level and the blue marine from Star Fox 64. It was good on Area3 but maybe it's because this is just short part of the level.

But it was fun to seek all medals even when you know what you have to do to get them, sometimes this can be really tough.
The heart was in the right place with the Gyrowing. A vehicle that handles differently and injects another pacing to the game and is mainly presented in one level to not overstay it's welcome. Yet it came quite short.

My main reservation with the Gyrowing since it was unveiled was the small robot. Would have been more interesting having this part of the vehicle been the polar opposite to the Gyrowing, something quick and agile. In my mind an spider like robot that also doubles as a claw and can attach to ceilings and walls. Design part of the levels for the spider to explore and shoot from various different angles until it reaches the hacking point.

Even if the Blue Marine felt like controlling an Arwing that is always hitting the brakes, Aquas overall seems better executed than Zones from Zero. Also Zones from 64 with the original searlight ginmick and the Pirate boss felt more accomplished.

Seik

Banned
giphy.gif

I wouldn't put a single Zero track in the top 10 songs in the Star Fox franchise.

And I only consider three Star Fox games to even be real Star Fox games: SNES, 64 and Zero.

just listen to this
and this
or this banger
pow pow
yesssss
soooooooooooo good

I can keep going

Not that Zero's soundtrack is offensively bad or anything, it's just not memorable. I just finished the game and can't remember any of the music besides the remixed SF64 tracks. When I was first playing SF64 all those years ago the music stood out so much. Then I finally got around to playing the SNES game like 4 years ago and Corneria INSTANTLY became one of my favorite game songs of all time.

And Zero's Star Wolf theme is just a slower and shittier version of the N64 GOAT

Dude...dude...dude!

Anth0ny, what's going on? Are you okay? I mean, damn, Zero's OST is top notch to me. I mean, OK you can not like it, but still...it almost hurts to see you hating on it so much! :lol

I mean, first time I heard the new Star Wolf theme, with the orchestra and the chorus and all...almost brought a tear to my eye! Slower and shittier, COME ON! :p

I fucking love the OG SF and SF64 OSTs, they have a very special place to me, but maaaaan, Zero is a step above and I don't even understand how one cannot see that, but hey, to each his own.

Finally got all the medals. I decided to look up how to get the last few, and they were things I wouldn't have thought to go for, so '-')b

The main start screen is pretty beautiful. SNES Corneria should play on every stage when using the old-school arwing.

Dude...dude...dude!

Anth0ny, what's going on? Are you okay? I mean, damn, Zero's OST is top notch to me. I mean, OK you can not like it, but still...it almost hurts to see you hating on it so much! :lol

I mean, first time I heard the new Star Wolf theme, with the orchestra and the chorus and all...almost brought a tear to my eye! Slower and shittier, COME ON! :p

I fucking love the OG SF and SF64 OSTs, they have a very special place to me, but maaaaan, Zero is a step above and I don't even understand how one cannot see that, but hey, to each his own.

Aside from the Prologue music, there wasn't much that stood out to me. Might be because of the sounds from the gamepad covering it up (I tried a star wolf fight with that sound turned down, which helped me appreciate it more). I could very easily see how someone would be "eh," on these arrangements. Not to mention most songs aren't done like the prologue music (actual orchestra).

They're good ... but 64's/Assault's are better

Regiruler

538.jpg

Platinum did an absolutely phenomenal job on the soundtrack. Andross theme isn't as good as their prior final boss themes, but everything else hits the right note. Guard's soundtrack is really good too, but it's hard to hear over all the commotion (the credits theme is perfectly audible and is quite a fun beat).

Speaking of which, does anyone know the song that plays in the Arwing version of Zoness?

sfried

Zero's music is pretty dope overall, but shorting on Assault's OST in an attempt to raise Zero's up?

triplehdisgust.gif
Some of Assault's tracks felt off (said Star Wolf piece, while would be a great listen to on its own, does not fit the tempo in-game). But then again, Assault's art direction also felt like it was...all over the place too.

Llyranor

I wasn't left with a lasting impression of the soundtrack, but I think that's mostly the soundmixing's fault. The map select music is nice, though.

bart64

Banned
Played the game more tonight and I'm doing better at switching between the screens.

One thing though that irks me though, that I didn't quite realize before... why does the reticle in 3rd person view literally not work? It seems like they arbitrarily gimped it. It doesn't appear in the right place.

The reticule looks and works just like 64, it appears exactly as it should, lined up witht the trajectory of the shot. The difference is that now that you have first person aiming, they were able to amp everything up a notch without breaking the game. You have independent aiming, which complicates things becuase your ship is aiminng at one thing and the reticule another. And then everything Is allowed to move more, your ship is smaller on the screen so you're not always close behind it, the targets and laser beams are smaller. It's just a much more demanding game but the cockpit view is always there for you to correct yourself and fall back in the groove.

Teknoman

I would just turn off the gamepad sound. Having it loud enough to hear the voices well means the ship sounds will be too loud and cover up the music.

The TV just seems to have a lower output than the pad for this game. Just turn the volume on the TV up abit more than normal.

EDIT: Does it bother anyone else that Wolf says " You're good...but not good enough"? I keep expecting him to say "but i'm better!".

Also I cant get over how much Platinum should've made High Speed Sections the gimmick of this game like how 64 introduced all range. Sector Omega is the best stage in the game aside from Corneria. I have no idea why there is only one...unless one of the sub stages features a section like that.

Venom is abit anti-climactic from what i'm used to.

How do you reach the Asteroid Field?

Teknoman

Yeah i don't know why highspeed mode wasn't unlockable for all levels

Beat Aquarosa, then select the zone3 satellite mission. You go to asteroid field after

Cool thanks. High speed mode DLC would be amazing...but I guess there arent any plans :/

The reticule looks and works just like 64, it appears exactly as it should, lined up witht the trajectory of the shot. The difference is that now that you have first person aiming, they were able to amp everything up a notch without breaking the game. You have independent aiming, which complicates things becuase your ship is aiminng at one thing and the reticule another. And then everything Is allowed to move more, your ship is smaller on the screen so you're not always close behind it, the targets and laser beams are smaller. It's just a much more demanding game but the cockpit view is always there for you to correct yourself and fall back in the groove.
Well there's some minor consolation for people that don't like how the third person reticule works now since it seems different than 64 for example. For targets that are not very far away from the ship, you can play the game like a more traditional Star Fox. For these targets it behaves more or less as like a 2D reticule so shots will hit when it's over them.

Now for the far away stufff in the background cockpit view is needed. In the end, for people that give the game a fair chance switching views become second nature, you stop thinking about it and just do it when it's neccessary.

The reticule looks and works just like 64, it appears exactly as it should, lined up witht the trajectory of the shot.

No... it's not. What are you talking about?

In first person view, yes, the reticle works exactly like 64. It appears in the spot where your shot will go. Like you'd expect.

In third person view, it doesn't. The reticle appears in one place, and my shots land in another. Perhaps this is because of ship aiming, but the reticle really ought to display accurately regardless of how my ship is turned.

I'm not sure what 3rd person view has to do with any of this. I guess they wanted to force you to switch between the two views, but that's kind of dumb. The advantages of having a second view should speak for themselves.

In first person view, yes, the reticle works exactly like 64. It appears in the spot where your shot will go. Like you'd expect.

In third person view, it doesn't. The reticle appears in one place, and my shots land in another. Perhaps this is because of ship aiming, but the reticle really ought to display accurately regardless of how my ship is turned.

I'm not sure what 3rd person view has to do with any of this. I guess they wanted to force you to switch between the two views, but that's kind of dumb. The advantages of having a second view should speak for themselves.

Exactly. It's really frustrating.

Yeah, it definitely appears off at times and at certain angles. It may be accurately representing where cockpit view is pointed and it may technically work the same way as it does in 64, but that doesn't make it useful for aiming all the time in Zero.

It wouldn't work when aiming off to the side really far with gyro, but it should always work better when the reticule is near its default position.

bart64

Banned

The reticule appears at two fixed distances along the trajectory in 3D space, just like 64, check youtube if you don't believe me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDU4WzM3NsM

In 64 you didn't aim the reticule directly either, you had to imagine where the shot will go just like here, but if you did just treat it like a direct sight you had a good chance of getting a hit because everything was bigger.

Edit: I have to play some more to make sure but it seems sometimes you do get one reticule and sometime two. And it can be confusing that the reticule is always square on even when the camera is at an extreme angle. They could have made it easier to tell but chose to make it harder, agreed, but they did not make it innacurate.

TheMoon

Didn't know Platinum composed the soundtrack.

from the composer of Bayonetta.

The soundtrack, just as the game, was a collaborative PG/Nintendo effort. Main composers are PG folks but the Sound Support team is a mix of EPD and Platinum people.
Though maybe I'm misinterpreting that as including music and sound support is just sound design support. Who knows. The majority of composers is PG staff, though.

I need to just listen to the OST. So little stood out to me after all this time.

might be because I've played from just the gamepad a lot without headphones

Edit: I have to play some more to make sure but it seems sometimes you do get one reticule and sometime two. And it can be confusing that the reticule is always square on even when the camera is at an extreme angle. They could have made it easier to tell but chose to make it harder, agreed, but they did not make it innacurate.
Where it technically functions the same way as before doesn't change that it's harder to tell where shots will land in on-rails segments and mostly useless in all-range mode fights. The camera is so far away from the Arwing in the latter that it hasn't much use for aiming, and if you're trying to track another ship/boss, it's better to use lock-on instead.

Whether through adjusting the camera distance from the ship, changing how/where (in relation to the ship) the reticule displays, or adding a laser sight or color change when hovering over an enemy, it could be way better than it is. That's the problem people have with it.

If I can play everything aside from the gyrowing entirely from cockpit view, it should be different, yet equally feasible to do so from vehicle view.

Link_enfant

So... let's compare our score lists!

WVW69jI3MAkP2_HI2z

I kind of felt the same. Playing with headphones definitely helps - the game balances music, SFX and voices perfectly when they come through a single audio channel.

How do you use headphones on Wii U though?
I've tried using some on the Gamepad but it sounded like the audio was somehow poorly compressed, certainly due to streaming technical restrictions. I've only tried it on VC games iirc, but I'd be glad to have another option there.

I've watched some gameplay videos on Youtube, also recorded with all the audio in a single channel, and it balances everything perfectly indeed. Almost a game changer to me.

bart64

Banned
Where it technically functions the same way as before doesn't change that it's harder to tell where shots will land in on-rails segments and mostly useless in all-range mode fights. The camera is so far away from the Arwing in the latter that it hasn't much use for aiming, and if you're trying to track another ship/boss, it's better to use lock-on instead.

Whether through adjusting the camera distance from the ship, changing how/where (in relation to the ship) the reticule displays, or adding a laser sight or color change when hovering over an enemy, it could be way better than it is. That's the problem people have with it.

If I can play everything aside from the gyrowing entirely from cockpit view, it should be different, yet equally feasible to do so from vehicle view.

I'm having trouble following your logic. Seems to me that having a reliable second view opens up the possiblilities for the traditional view: more difficulty, cinematic angles, wider view. Why add the first person view if it doesn't change the game?

I know, options. If you had a auto-aim laser sight or something you would be able to get by in third person and not have to glance at the gamepad. I guess there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a different game that looses some of the purity and skill of Star Fox.

We talked about Kid Icarus and Sin & Punishment before, where they do a good job of making third person work. But those games have their own limitations, like the fact that you can't reliably lead your shots in front of the enemy. The more you try to make thrid person work accurately, the less realistic it becomes.

I love how in zero I can shoot a half mile in front of an enemy and watch them run into my shots seconds later becuase I adjusted for distance and momentum. That kind of gameplay would not be possible in third person no matter how many reticules and lock-ons you add, so I don't mind If they forced me to use the gamepad to learn that.

I guess we're not really disagreeing, I'm advocating for the purity and simplicity of design, where different mechanics emerge naturally from one definitive chnage. I think options muddy that vision and people would miss out on the experience the designers worked to create.

I'm having trouble following your logic. Seems to me that having a reliable second view opens up the possiblilities for the traditional view: more difficulty, cinematic angles, wider view. Why add the first person view if it doesn't change the game?

I know, options. If you had a auto-aim laser sight or something you would be able to get by in third person and not have to glance at the gamepad. I guess there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a different game that looses some of the purity and skill of Star Fox.

We talked about Kid Icarus and Sin & Punishment before, where they do a good job of making third person work. But those games have their own limitations, like the fact that you can't reliably lead your shots in front of the enemy. The more you try to make thrid person work accurately, the less realistic it becomes.

I love how in zero I can shoot a half mile in front of an enemy and watch them run into my shots seconds later becuase I adjusted for distance and momentum. That kind of gameplay would not be possible in third person no matter how many reticules and lock-ons you add, so I don't mind If they forced me to use the gamepad to learn that.

I guess we're not really disagreeing, I'm advocating for the purity and simplicity of design, where different mechanics emerge naturally from one definitive chnage. I think options muddy that vision and people would miss out on the experience the designers worked to create.

Doing things like aiming all the way to the side to shoot pursuing enemies or accurately leading and landing shots far away are only really feasible using the gamepad/gyro — making the vehicle view's reticule more functional (just to the point that people don't feel like it's broken or off) wouldn't change what you can only do in cockpit view w/gyro aiming. Right now, it just looks off at times and doesn't give a good enough idea of where shots will be heading. If that view is more reliable, nothing is lost with the cockpit view and gyro aiming.

Edit:
Possibilities through the gyro should add to he experience, and it's addition should not feel as if it's making up for the old type of aiming being worse.

bart64

Banned
Doing things like aiming all the way to the side to shoot pursuing enemies or accurately leading and landing shots far away are only really feasible using the gamepad/gyro — making the vehicle view's reticule more functional (just to the point that people don't feel like it's broken or off) wouldn't change what you can only do in cockpit view w/gyro aiming. Right now, it just looks off at times and doesn't give a good enough idea of where shots will be heading. If that view is more reliable, nothing is lost with the cockpit view and gyro aiming.

Edit:
Possibilities through the gyro should add to he experience, and it's addition should not feel as if it's making up for the old type of aiming being worse.

Which leads to my previous point that in order to make the third person reliable you would need to go beyond what they did with 64 (which is what you have now)--you would need to do some kind of auto aim or you would need to make the game in stereoscopic 3D because there is not way to reliably communicate a 3D shot from a ship in 3D space on a 2D screen.

The gamepad is making up for the old type of aiming being worse because the old type of aiming is worse once you pan the camera from directly behind the ship.

Regiruler

Am I crazy or does Venom have a score infinite? If you die during star wolf I think you keep your points from destroying the turrets, and the turrets respawn.

Which leads to my previous point that in order to make the third person reliable you would need to go beyond what they did with 64 (which is what you have now)--you would need to do some kind of auto aim or you would need to make the game in stereoscopic 3D because there is not way to reliably communicate a 3D shot from a ship in 3D space on a 2D screen.

The gamepad is making up for the old type of aiming being worse because the old type of aiming is worse once you pan the camera from directly behind the ship.

Zero's reticule works like it does in 64, right? No one has a problem with it in 64.

Under the same conditions (3rd-person vehicle view, centered reticule, no movement of gyro), the reticule should feel as useful as the one in 64. It doesn't in Zero, though. For whatever reasons (camera distance from ship, reticule distance from ship, distance between reticule boxes, laser fire hit boxes, etc.), it just feels off in vehicle view, even noticeable when on-rails.

And in all-range mode, it just isn't useful in vehicle view, even when turning without banking sharply. The camera is so far away that when turning, the reticule boxes in relation to the camera can't give any real indication of where shots will travel beyond a general direction and it's guesswork at times. Before in 64, the reticule would give a better indication of where shots will go.

Maybe if the camera was closer to the ship, it would allow the reticule to line up with the player's view at wider angles — since it's "anchored," to the ship, having the player's eyes closer behind that anchor point would help. There's no real need for that vehicle view to be so zoomed out now that there's a controllable lock-on view — you would still be able to tell when you're being tailed with a closer view, you could still look around using the gyro if need be, and so forth. There's nothing crucial about the extra wide default vehicle view in Zero that isn't achieved with lock-on or the using the cockpit view.

It never showed exactly where shots would land super far away in 64, but, through any number of possible variables that affected it (camera-to-ship distance, etc.), it was better there. It wasn't perfect, but it was reliable — if it was reliable then, it should, in theory, be as reliable now, especially if the reticule still operates in the same way.

bart64

Banned
Zero's reticule works like it does in 64, right? No one has a problem with it in 64.

Under the same conditions (3rd-person vehicle view, centered reticule, no movement of gyro), the reticule should feel as useful as the one in 64. It doesn't in Zero, though. For whatever reasons (camera distance from ship, reticule distance from ship, distance between reticule boxes, laser fire hit boxes, etc.), it just feels off in vehicle view, even noticeable when on-rails.

And in all-range mode, it just isn't useful in vehicle view, even when turning without banking sharply. The camera is so far away that when turning, the reticule boxes in relation to the camera can't give any real indication of where shots will travel beyond a general direction and it's guesswork at times. Before in 64, the reticule would give a better indication of where shots will go.

Maybe if the camera was closer to the ship, it would allow the reticule to line up with the player's view at wider angles — since it's "anchored," to the ship, having the player's eyes closer behind that anchor point would help. There's no real need for that vehicle view to be so zoomed out now that there's a controllable lock-on view — you would still be able to tell when you're being tailed with a closer view, you could still look around using the gyro if need be, and so forth. There's nothing crucial about the extra wide default vehicle view in Zero that isn't achieved with lock-on or the using the cockpit view.

It never showed exactly where shots would land super far away in 64, but, through any number of possible variables that affected it (camera-to-ship distance, etc.), it was better there. It wasn't perfect, but it was reliable — if it was reliable then, it should, in theory, be as reliable now, especially if the reticule still operates in the same way.

So basically you want it to look like 64 and just have the cockpit view be an option that's not really necessary? I think myself and lots of other posters listed benefits to the setup in previous posts and I don't want to go in circles. I do think having a more expansive view, and views that follow the target, does add something fresh and exciting to the formula, and it's a fun system to try to master. You've played this game more than me so I'll trust that you learned it and still prefer the old way, which is fine--at least you gave it a fair chance!

So basically you want it to look like 64 and just have the cockpit view be an option that's not really necessary? I think myself and lots of other posters listed benefits to the setup in previous posts and I don't want to go in circles. I do think having a more expansive view, and views that follow the target, does add something fresh and exciting to the formula, and it's a fun system to try to master. You've played this game more than me so I'll trust that you learned it and still prefer the old way, which is fine--at least you gave it a fair chance!
The default view being worse doesn't make the cockpit view better.

Cockpit view has inherent advantages over vehicle view — even when vehicle view's reticule is at its best when in on-rail sequences, gyro aiming with cockpit view lets you look all around, split aiming and movement, etc.

I absolutely think that cockpit view and gyro aiming should be ultimately optional, and their inherent advantages should be why people opt to use them. This game shouldn't feel any worse than previous games in any way, and new features should compliment, or be better than the classic ones. Gyro aiming (or, more accurately, gyro plus joystick) is better all around than fixed aiming — fixed, vehicle-view aiming didn't need to be made worse to push people to use the gyro-cockpit view.

It just reinforces why the game needed online multiplayer — let people play the single player however they like, but let them see first-hand how much better players do with the new features. No need to purposefully or incidentally gimp the classic aiming to convince them the new aiming is better. I prefer the cockpit view most of the time, and not just because it's more accurate — sometimes, I still want to just use the ship view to aim and shoot, especially on on-rails levels, since it's easier for me when maneuvering through tight spaces in that at view, and I just like to mix it up sometimes. could be way better.

Have 69 medals in the game, just missing the one in Sector Omega. Any clues which is the secret? Heard conflicting reports of either not getting any damage or destroying all the satellites. Neither sounds pleasant

Have 69 medals in the game, just missing the one in Sector Omega. Any clues which is the secret? Heard conflicting reports of either not getting any damage or destroying all the satellites. Neither sounds pleasant
No damage on the first phase, so the entire level except the boss fight.

bart64

Banned
The default view being worse doesn't make the cockpit view better.

Cockpit view has inherent advantages over vehicle view — even when vehicle view's reticule is at its best when in on-rail sequences, gyro aiming with cockpit view lets you look all around, split aiming and movement, etc.

I absolutely think that cockpit view and gyro aiming should be ultimately optional, and their inherent advantages should be why people opt to use them. This game shouldn't feel any worse than previous games in any way, and new features should compliment, or be better than the classic ones. Gyro aiming (or, more accurately, gyro plus joystick) is better all around than fixed aiming — fixed, vehicle-view aiming didn't need to be made worse to push people to use the gyro-cockpit view.

It just reinforces why the game needed online multiplayer — let people play the single player however they like, but let them see first-hand how much better players do with the new features. No need to purposefully or incidentally gimp the classic aiming to convince them the new aiming is better. I prefer the cockpit view most of the time, and not just because it's more accurate — sometimes, I still want to just use the ship view to aim and shoot, especially on on-rails levels, since it's easier for me when maneuvering through tight spaces in that at view, and I just like to mix it up sometimes. could be way better.

I totally feel you about the multiplayer. I like how things turned out in Splatoon, where motion controls ended feeling better for most people. Although there I think they nidged people a little too by making the analog controls really stiff. Funny that multiplayer here still does show the advantages of the second view but in a totally different way.

i'm still having trouble understanding how your suggestion works so let me try to lay it out.

--You have options to change the view style where you can choose to emulate starfox 64.
--This makes it so that the third person camera rides close behind the ship at all times, even during bosses.
--The aiming reticule doesn't move relative to the ship, appearing stationary on the center of the gamepad.
--The levels don't change layout wise so there will be some obstacles which will become more difficult while others become easier.
--People who want to improve their scores or try something new will want to turn off the 64 view style and check out 0 style, which would be exactly the style we have now.

Did I get that right?

How do you use headphones on Wii U though?
I've tried using some on the Gamepad but it sounded like the audio was somehow poorly compressed, certainly due to streaming technical restrictions. I've only tried it on VC games iirc, but I'd be glad to have another option there.

I've watched some gameplay videos on Youtube, also recorded with all the audio in a single channel, and it balances everything perfectly indeed. Almost a game changer to me.

I've used the GamePad headphone jack for both listening and video recording (via line-in cable), and the sound quality was good in either case.

And then was further doomed when it scared away all of the people interested in a score-based rail shooter in 2016 with the control scheme.

I completely agree with you. The game aimed on very specific overlap of "fans of classic rail shooters" and "fans of novel control schemes" audiences. The game's great for people who are in this overlap, but it's lacking or faulty for other people in these categories.

bart64

Banned
Why would the two categories not have a big overlap? Older gamers that grew up with these shooters also grew up with all kinds of experimental controls--the analog stick was just one of those experiments at the time. I agree that the controls made the game very hard for some people, but I think shooter fans would be the first to master and enjoy new control methods.

Why would the two categories not have a big overlap? Older gamers that grew up with these shooters also grew up with all kinds of experimental controls--the analog stick was just one of those experiments at the time. I agree that the controls made the game very hard for some people, but I think shooter fans would be the first to master and enjoy new control methods.
Well, many of us believe that you shouldn't fix what isn't broken. Star Fox 64 was so perfect control wise, we didn't want it molested in any way.

In the past, every control change like the analogue stick has been necessary. Motion control isn't.

And while I can learn to live with these new controls, they keep Zero from dethroning 64 as the king in the series, imo.

bart64

Banned
Well, many of us believe that you shouldn't fix what isn't broken. Star Fox 64 was so perfect control wise, we didn't want it molested in any way.

And while I can learn to live with these new controls, they keep Zero from dethroning 64 as the king in the series, imo.

That's cool I can respect that, you would prefer another 64, with great HD graphics and some new enemies and maybe a couple of new ships if absolutely necessary.

But directors, especially high calibur ones, don't like to spend their valuable time creating sequels. They would rather shoot for another classic--something to add to their legacy that may even spawn new genres. I feel this is another classic, a new design canon, and if space shooters become more popular and it would make sense for some new director to give the 64 contols another shot, I would welcome that.

It's funny because in a 1990s vacuum these controls would be totally awesome.

That's cool I can respect that, you would prefer another 64, with great HD graphics and some new enemies and maybe a couple of new ships if absolutely necessary.

But directors, especially high calibur ones, don't like to spend their valuable time creating sequels. They would rather shoot for another classic--something to add to their legacy that may even spawn new genres. I feel this is another classic, a new design canon, and if space shooters become more popular and it would make sense for some new director to give the 64 contols another shot, I would welcome that.

It's funny because in a 1990s vacuum these controls would be totally awesome.
I'm not so sure about that. It may have been the thing that kept people away back when games were much simpler. It could have gone either way, I don't know. And so many old franchises are still going strong today with minimal control changes if any at all. If it works, it works and not trying to sound harsh but I couldn't care less about the main director's personal feelings of accomplishment while designing the game.

Nintendo went from keeping it simple as a philosophy in one generation, to having us patting our heads and rubbing our bellies at the same time in the next (it really does slightly feel like that).

They could have at least given us long time fans the option to play Zero like the past games but I get it, Nintendo has to justify that controller.

Dimentios

Am I crazy or does Venom have a score infinite? If you die during star wolf I think you keep your points from destroying the turrets, and the turrets respawn.

Same happened to me, lol.
But I don't know if it would happen a second time. And Infinite = Number of your Lifes.
Speaking of the turrets, how many are there anyway? This planet is sooo small, but everytime I think I destroyed them all, I find two, three more. wtf.

And I don't know why people thing ego > third person in this game. Your view is narrowed down by using ego (surroundings). I spent 5% in ego (bosses).

Regiruler

Same happened to me, lol.
But I don't know if it would happen a second time. And Infinite = Number of your Lifes.
Speaking of the turrets, how many are there anyway? This planet is sooo small, but everytime I think I destroyed them all, I find two, three more. wtf.

And I don't know why people thing ego > third person in this game. Your view is narrowed down by using ego (surroundings). I spent 5% in ego (bosses).
You can easily get enough gold rings to get a new life each time

I totally feel you about the multiplayer. I like how things turned out in Splatoon, where motion controls ended feeling better for most people. Although there I think they nidged people a little too by making the analog controls really stiff. Funny that multiplayer here still does show the advantages of the second view but in a totally different way.

i'm still having trouble understanding how your suggestion works so let me try to lay it out.

--You have options to change the view style where you can choose to emulate starfox 64.
--This makes it so that the third person camera rides close behind the ship at all times, even during bosses.
--The aiming reticule doesn't move relative to the ship, appearing stationary on the center of the gamepad.
--The levels don't change layout wise so there will be some obstacles which will become more difficult while others become easier.
--People who want to improve their scores or try something new will want to turn off the 64 view style and check out 0 style, which would be exactly the style we have now.

Did I get that right?
Yes
Yes, or whatever makes that reticule appear more accurate most of the time
Don't know what you mean here
Yes
Yes

Top Bottom