• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero |OT| The Fox Awakens

Played like 5 missions last night and found two secret ones. Game is kinda awesome but getting used to aiming in a different direction than you're flying is proving to be a little difficult for me.

Peltz

I had fun with the stealth gyrocopter level the first time, but I'm worried it'll be a bit of a slog on repeat playthroughs. We'll see.

This is one of the most "new" feeling games I've played this gen, it's nuts. I'm surprised by the amount of scenarios and ideas they're pulling out of this dual screen mechanic. Having a blast overall and I'm already looking forward to replaying the levels, getting medals, etc.

Gyrocopter pacung within the overall experience is definitely my biggest worry for the game.

Does this game encourage high score chasing like SF64? Do you see a hit counter and everything?

NotLiquid

You know I expected the controls to be kind of worse than this but so far they... don't seem all that bad? The Arwing is basically Star Fox 64 controls but with Splatoon-esque supplements. I used to not like piloting the Landmaster at all but it's somehow become something I like in this game just because being grounded makes it feel the closest to Splatoon's controls.

Gyrowing is the only thing I don't like so far but this is all based on training.

YN12

Banned
Gyrocopter pacung within the overall experience is definitely my biggest worry for the game.

Does this game encourage high score chasing like SF64? Do you see a hit counter and everything?

Yes. Also, keeping the L button pressed allow you to execute the 'charge unlocked shot'. And by collecting 2 laser powerups you can lock on two targets (until you take damage).

The scope for score-chasing seems to be huge.

Gyrowing is in 2 levels and both times can be skipped if you know how to (I mean you can play the level but with the Arwing)
Still, if you want all the medals you'll have to play those sections.

Griss

Reading this thread would make me not want to pick this up.

Then again, I bought and loved Kid Icarus: Uprising, only to pop into a thread online to talk about it and discover 'What the hell, people don't like the controls?' Had I read the threads first maybe it would have scared me off. So who knows what to think.

AGoodODST

The biggest surprise for me so far is how much I enjoy the All Range Mode sections. I really like the target view for a more cinematic view of the battle, while focusing on using the GamePad to shoot. Oh and the way it goes slow motion when you fly close by an enemy. Especially in space stages.

I also really like all the Arwings moves mapped to the right stick. I thought I might have an issue with barrels rolls and banking but it works really well.

Finally, turning into a walker in space for no reason is strangely amusing.

Gyrowing is in 2 levels and both times can be skipped if you know how to (I mean you can play the level but with the Arwing)
Still, if you want all the medals you'll have to play those sections.

You still have to play through these sections on your first playthrough.
The path to Aquarosa
opens only near the end of the path to Venom.

Scrawnton

Then again, I bought and loved Kid Icarus: Uprising, only to pop into a thread online to talk about it and discover 'What the hell, people don't like the controls?' Had I read the threads first maybe it would have scared me off. So who knows what to think.

I enjoyed the controls in Kid Icarus for the flying section, so I am definitely not going to discount this game based in controls. I'm open to new control methods like this. My issue was do the controls work and people just don't want to learn them or do they not work at all? It seems to be the former, hence why I'm excited.

Ogodei

Literally the only gamestop left in the Pittsburgh city limits is right near the University of Pittsburgh, which is an absolute bitch to park in, but get it tonight i shall.

And then table it after the first day because Splatfest is tomorrow.

aBarreras

what are you talking about? the people who actually GOT the game and have been playing for hours are saying that they are or liking or loving it, the only ones talking bad are the ones still in the fnce for reason x or reason y, i think people who actually have the game should count more

what are you talking about? the people who actually GOT the game and have been playing for hours are saying that they are or liking or loving it, the only ones talking bad are the ones still in the fnce for reason x or reason y, i think people who actually have the game should count more
There are a few who are iffy on it at best. In the review thread, there were three of us who got it early that were mixed. Myself included.

Edag88

Banned
Been playing since Wednesday. Game's freaking awesome. I told someone it's like Star Fox's The Force Awakens for all the right reasons.

Were people bitching about motion controls in Splatoon too? These are as good if not better.

Got the game and played for 5 minutes / the controls tutorial. Gyro controls are absolutely amazing. Once again a case of: what it wrong with you, you heavy handed video game people?

If gaf has showed me anything it's that there is a large contingent of players who are hard wired into thier expectations. They are both unwilling to learn and in many ways simply unable to adjust to anything outside of those past experiences. Then they pile on the reasons and complaints to justify. Not liking something seems very tangled up in not being able to execute gameplay as "expected".

Play the damn game in front of you. Part of playing games for me is learning new control schemes. You can figure it out. Each game is a new toy to manipulate and adjust to. The real fear should be the plague of standardized controls across the board, now that's boring. Give me lots of different ways to interact!

Leatherface

Were people bitching about motion controls in Splatoon too? These are as good if not better.

Good to hear. I remember the shit fest around controls at the launch of Splatoon until most people realized that they were in fact, AWESOME. Hopefully this will be the same.

Edag88

Banned
controls are fine. do people really just want twin sticks forever? this worries and bugs me

That's my concern. Going from Wii pointer controls for everything to the first bunch of first person games with dual analog sticks was like returning to the stone age.

If gaf has showed me anything it's that there is a large contingent of players who are hard wired into thier expectations. They are both unwilling to learn and in many ways simply unable to adjust to anything outside of those past experiences. Then they pile on the reasons and complaints to justify. Not liking something seems very tangled up in not being able to execute gameplay as "expected".

Play the damn game in front of you. Part of playing games for me is learning new control schemes. You can figure it out. Each game is a new toy to manipulate and adjust to. The real fear should be the plague of standardized controls across the board, now that's boring. Give me lots of different ways to interact!

PREACH. Very well said.

NotLiquid

Walker controls are a little hard to get used to and I feel like the Gyrowing cursor often goes a bit out of alignment for my tastes but other than that I haven't had any qualms with much of the game so far. It's a little tricky but the level variety is quite lovely and I can tell that replaying some of these is going to be quite fun. It's gotten a bit more challenging than I'd expect to be honest.

Edag88

Banned

It's not just GAF, it's the internet as a whole.

People want both the exact same thing but something completely new.

Assault was an awesome Star Fox game, but it wasn't just like Star Fox 64 so people ripped on it.

Star Fox Zero is an awesome Star Fox game but it's too similar to 64 and sticks too close to the roots...after over a decade of people wanting Star Fox to solidly return to its roots.

My(and I think others) issue with the game isn't the controls. I thought the control difficulty was overblown. The level design is just... boring. I don't find it to be a very exciting game to play, and I think it feels very much stuck in the past, and not in a good way. I love classic games, so for me to say that kind of hurts, but it is the truth.

There are better implementations of this style of game at this point. This feels like it's lagging behind them.

Edit: Guard is great though. I love it.

NotLiquid

Sector Beta is so good. I love switching into the Walker for awesome set pieces. As far as organic new additions go the vehicle transformations is one of the best things Star Fox could have gotten.

Glix

Will i be comfortable with the aiming from S643d gyro aiming or Kid Icarus 3ds or is it completely different?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Hyped to give it a shot, it'll arrive today. I love motion-style aiming and I feel like a lot of these kinds of games you really don't appreciate until you fully master the control scheme (see also: Rocket League, Kid Icarus, Splatoon).

I mean, there's no way it can get to me today if it's not on the UPS truck already, right? Unless it's coming by FedEx and not UPS. It says, "Shipping Soon, Will Arrive Today by 8pm."

It's weird. This is only the second time I've preordered something from Amazon, and with Dark Souls 3, it was shipped the night before. SO CONCERNING!

I'm really eager to try out these new controls that seem so divisive

JoeM86

Thought I had got the controls down, but doing Titania proved otherwise haha.

Having great fun with it, but it's still stressful as hell haha

Really happy about the amiiboless unlocks. Only star fox amiibo i would want is a slippy.

Yea it does, especially since you're using muscles in fingers your not used to using. I actually use my middle fingers as weight bearers by placing them on the triggers but braced on the ridge. But trust me, after a few hours you'll feel the difference. Playing splatoon for hours has ingrained this in me.

Hmm alright alright that does make sense, I'll give it a go later when I'm back home, thanks again :) (I bought Splatoon day one but never had time to delve into it and now I fear it's too late to jump in...)

Geg

I mean, there's no way it can get to me today if it's not on the UPS truck already, right? Unless it's coming by FedEx and not UPS. It says, "Shipping Soon, Will Arrive Today by 8pm."

It's weird. This is only the second time I've preordered something from Amazon, and with Dark Souls 3, it was shipped the night before. SO CONCERNING!

I'm really eager to try out these new controls that seem so divisive

I dunno I remember when I got my PS4 I didn't even get the notification that it was out for delivery until after it arrived. Sometimes UPS is just weird.

Yeah unless it is a traditional control scheme using the standard dual analog, multiple buttons and triggers control scheme people will freak out. It's not a GAF thing, it's a gamer thing to constantly complain about controls that are not traditional. Splatoon plays perfectly but I remember initially a large segment of those who played it complained about the controls and saying how broken and terrible they are. As you said gamers don't like playing games in new and different ways having to spend time to learn the control scheme.

Hmm alright alright that does make sense, I'll give it a go later when I'm back home, thanks again :) (I bought Splatoon day one but never had time to delve into it and now I fear it's too late to jump in...)
There's no too late. There's still a decent sized community to play against across many different players skills. You're missing out on the best Wii U game.

GenG3000

Is there a true final boss battle? Which are the requirements? I have unlocked all stages and alternate areas in story mode.

This time I made a one shot to Andross + mission accomplished, so it's clear the problem was not the motion control, but me who has lost self-control to him the first time haha.

Anyone else preorder from Amazon? Mine still hasn't shipped yet for some reason...

Mine shipped, but UPS is having problems with the motion controls...

We wanted to let you know that your package will arrive later than expected due to weather conditions or unforeseen events. It's still on its way and we will deliver the package as soon as possible. We're sorry for the delay.

J@hranimo

Banned
Got my game and just finished the training missions for all the vehicles. There's a bit of a learning curve but all the vehicles feel pretty good. Gyrowing is the easiest, to me it feels like an easier to handle Helicopter from GTAV :p

Starting the main game now!

Display the crosshair while you are target locked: There is no need to force me to look at the gamepad when you could just display it on TV.

There's no need to be locked on a target that's in your forward FOV anyway, and tbqh it'd be monstrously cheap for there to be no ability tax* when using lock-on.

* By this, I mean it'd be cheap if it was just as easy for you to aim at an enemy directly behind you using lock-on as it is to aim at an enemy directly in front of you without using lock-on.

AdanVC

I just read the Kotaku review of this game and yiiikes. Lot's of flaws and awkward af control issues as well. Stephen Totilo even give us some illustrations of how to properly sit and hold the gamepad to maximize gameplay. Miyamoto and his obssesion with motion controls just reached ridiculous status. Why can't I just sit comfortably on the sofa and use the pro controller to play? This are the type of games I would never be able to play well after a long and painful day at work where I just want to sit and relax by playing something since it seems you can get stressed af while playing this due to the controls.

So dissapointed considering this is a major Nintendo release... At least we have Guard wich looks and is lot's of fun and that awesome anime short of Fox.

What kills me about the Gravmaster is it isnt even needed on Fichina. The Arwing/Walker worked perfectly fine for the first half but then I'm forced to use this new gimmick vehicle that controls way worse than the previous vehicle just cause.

Also that slow mo thing that happens when you're about to fly directly into a Wolfen ship and you pass by each other is awesome.

Richie

I just read the Kotaku review of this game and yiiikes. Lot's of flaws and awkward af control issues as well. Stephen Totilo even give us some illustrations of how to properly sit and hold the gamepad to maximize gameplay. Miyamoto and his obssesion with motion controls just reached ridiculous status. Why can't I just sit comfortably on the sofa and use the pro controller to play? This are the type of games I would never be able to play well after a long and painful day at work where I just want to sit and relax by playing something since it seems you can get stressed af while playing this due to the controls.

So dissapointed considering this is a major Nintendo release... At least we have Guard wich looks and is lot's of fun and that awesome anime short of Fox.

I don't know, hombre, most gaffers in this thread are commenting positively on the game. Seems there -is- a learning curve but once it clicks with you it's a rewarding experience.

I had absolutely no issues at all with The Wonderful 101's controls, but outright hated Skyward Sword's motion ones at some points. And I beat Kid Icarus Uprising but would have instantly jumped at a Wii U up-port with more standard controls. So Nintendo's control quirks are a hit and miss with me. Wondering how this game might turn out...

Top Bottom