• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero |OT| The Fox Awakens

jariw

I just read the Kotaku review of this game and yiiikes. Lot's of flaws and awkward af control issues as well. Stephen Totilo even give us some illustrations of how to properly sit and hold the gamepad to maximize gameplay. Miyamoto and his obssesion with motion controls just reached ridiculous status. Why can't I just sit comfortably on the sofa and use the pro controller to play? This are the type of games I would never be able to play well after a long and painful day at work where I just want to sit and relax by playing something since it seems you can get stressed af while playing this due to the controls.

So dissapointed considering this is a major Nintendo release... At least we have Guard wich looks and is lot's of fun and that awesome anime short of Fox.

You base your sitting position on a Kotaku review? What's wrong with you?

TheGrue

Not sure what people are talking about with regards to always having to look at the Gamepad. I barely look at it when flying around. You just tilt the gamepad to move the reticle around and if you want kind of a zoomed in view for a precise shot, you can glance down. Controls clicked with me pretty immediately and really enjoyed what I played of it this morning.

Nerrel

controls are fine. do people really just want twin sticks forever? this worries and bugs me

No, but that doesn't mean any change from dual analog is good. The Wii remote + nunchuk worked perfectly for this type of on-rails gameplay in Sin and Punishment 2. It was a legitimate, irrefutable advancement beyond dual analog, but it was intuitive and simple to use. It would have been an absolutely ideal control method for classic Starfox gameplay. Instead, there's an awkward scheme that many people feel offers no clear advantage to justify how convoluted it is. The controls may work, but they were obviously designed in the service of the gamepad, not the game itself.

To some extent, I think Nintendo is undermining their own innovations by implementing them so terribly so often. People hated the Wii remote for its waggle and the controller didn't really get the credit it deserved for the IR camera or the potential for 1:1 motion it had. People talk about motion controls now as if they're a blight on gaming when they honestly have a lot to offer even the most hardcore gamers; you can see it in the Steam controller, where gyro aiming turned out to be incredibly popular. People badmouth it all the time, but when they actually use a good motion control scheme they change their tune quickly.

Control schemes like this one are the reason people hate motion controls and say things like "why can't I just use dual analog" so often. Controls like this are what make people actually want to use dual sticks forever.

Simbabbad

I just read the Kotaku review of this game and yiiikes.
I just played the game and what you quote from his review is ridiculous. "How to properly sit and hold the gamepad to maximize gameplay"?!?! WTF?!?! This is completely disconnected. You should wait to try things by yourself before insulting developers. Also, Miyamoto doesn't have a "motion control obsession". Contrary to what some people love to ramble, motion control use is actually very tame in Nintendo games, Wii included.

YN12

Banned
I just read the Kotaku review of this game and yiiikes. Lot's of flaws and awkward af control issues as well. Stephen Totilo even give us some illustrations of how to properly sit and hold the gamepad to maximize gameplay. Miyamoto and his obssesion with motion controls just reached ridiculous status. Why can't I just sit comfortably on the sofa and use the pro controller to play? This are the type of games I would never be able to play well after a long and painful day at work where I just want to sit and relax by playing something since it seems you can get stressed af while playing this due to the controls.

So dissapointed considering this is a major Nintendo release... At least we have Guard wich looks and is lot's of fun and that awesome anime short of Fox.

May I ask, what kind of job do you do that make you suffer so badly? I would recommend thinking of changing profession to something less painful!

Oh and dont worry, my arms dont get tired from playing SFZ! My brain however does hurt a little, because it takes a degree of effort to learn a new control method.

Soul Lab

oh come on. totilo? really? :D

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
You base your sitting position on a Kotaku review? What's wrong with you?
Yeah lol wtf is this ? Just recalibrate the cursor's position by pressing Y when it's off center. That's all.

Really having fun with this, just finished the groundmaster level. Getting the Star Fox fix I wanted. All range mode is so much better than in SF64.

EDIT : I see the game wants me to replay earlier stages by pointing out warps, there are stages to unlock right ?

YN12

Banned
No, but that doesn't mean any change from dual analog is good. The Wii remote + nunchuk worked perfectly for this type of on-rails gameplay in Sin and Punishment 2. It was a legitimate, irrefutable advancement beyond dual analog, but it was intuitive and simple to use. It would have been an absolutely ideal control method for classic Starfox gameplay. Instead, there's an awkward scheme that many people feel offers no clear advantage to justify how convoluted it is. The controls may work, but they were obviously designed in the service of the gamepad, not the game itself.

To some extent, I think Nintendo is undermining their own innovations by implementing them so terribly so often. People hated the Wii remote for its waggle and the controller didn't really get the credit it deserved for the IR camera or the potential for 1:1 motion it had. People talk about motion controls now as if they're a blight on gaming when they honestly have a lot to offer even the most hardcore gamers; you can see it in the Steam controller, where gyro aiming turned out to be incredibly popular. People badmouth it all the time, but when they actually use a good motion control scheme they change their tune quickly.

Control schemes like this one are the reason people hate motion controls and say things like "why can't I just use dual analog" so often. Controls like this are what make people actually want to use dual sticks forever.

I love Sin&Punishment 2, but SFZ does what it does better than S&P. In that game, you are limited to moving right and left on a bi-dimensional plane. In SFZ, you retain tridimensional control of your ship across different control methods. It's much more sophisticated than S&P in that respect.

Not knocking that game, but there's nothing quite like SFZ out there.

As with Skyward and Wonderful 101, I expect to enjoy the controls and adapt after some play. And find it fun as hell in the long run. Those are two of my favorite games of the past five years. Hoping to add Star Fox to that.

EhoaVash

As someone who enjoyed skyward sword, wonderful 101, the controls here feel like ass :/

This isn't fun, it's frustrating gyro aiming just doenst feel natural. It works but its frustrating as hell. It feels so off putting. Like you need a 3rd hand to play this. By this point I feel in love with wonderful 101, but this game ahhh I want to like it but ahhhh idk man. Also the audio coming from the gamepad feels really odd too much noises I can't focus. So far I can't say I can recommend this game to anyone.

Amiibro

So did anyone else preorder the collectors edition guide from Amazon? I did a LONG time ago and yet it still hasn't shipped and the item sold from Amazon now shows ships in two weeks.

Anyone get their guide from Amazon yet or at least a shipping email

Soul Lab

I was worried when I heard about the amount of all range mode missions. but damn, those are soo goood with this control scheme

MutFox

Banned
Yes you can unlock all amiibo features.
Nintendo life video review mentioned it. Not sure if it was under embargo but let it all be known! Also bestbuy had a falco amiibo sale with purchase of SFZ so got one anyways.

https://youtu.be/nlyPoi5mqG4
Around 3:50

Awesome, that's really good to hear, probably pick it up this weekend or next.
Just have to do some quick repairs to the projector before playing. :p

As with Skyward and Wonderful 101, I expect to enjoy the controls and adapt after some play. And find it fun as hell in the long run. Those are two of my favorite games of the past five years. Hoping to add Star Fox to that.

In my case I hate skyward sword controls but love the wonderful 101 one, and I'm loving these from Star Fox Zero, So I think Star Fox will be added on your list.

In my case I hate skyward sword controls but love the wonderful 101 one, and I'm loving these from Star Fox Zero, So I think Star Fox will be added on your list.

For me Skyward's controls were so chill. I never did any physical extreme motions, in fact the second time I played through it was while I was in bed sick for a week and it was effortless. I dunno just never had problems with it. I had some problems with W101 but they were fleeting and because I didn't get it at first.

There's no too late. There's still a decent sized community to play against across many different players skills. You're missing out on the best Wii U game.

Well that's encouraging to hear, I always worry about dead games but if isn't the case here I might boot it up tonight. I really love everything about Splatoon from the bit I've played and I regret not putting more time into it as it is.

TheMoon

I want to play this in co-op mode with my friend. Do I need a Pro controller or can I also use my Wiimotes?

Look, I've resorted to barely writing anything in these OPs now and still nobody reads the little that is there :(

(yes)

Yes. A Wii Remote with a Nunchuck also works for co-op.

I wonder if the old Wii Classic Controller works for co-op, too?

(no) ...

Zomba13

controls are fine. do people really just want twin sticks forever? this worries and bugs me

I honestly think it'd be better without the mandatory "look at gamepad". I love the motion aiming, it makes fine tuning your shots so easy BUT the TV screen's crosshairs are off, they aren't accurate, your shots always go to where it's lined up on the gamepad meaning you have to look at that if you want to be accurate and that sucks.

If the TV crosshairs were calibrated correctly, then it'd be fantastic ebcause you can then get the precision of motion along with the awareness of the ship view AND you can then look at the pad for the more extreme angles like below and off to the sides. But as it is you need to use the pad for accurate shots and then while you're lining up your shots in a dogfight on the pad you aren't seeing the TV where you have guys shooting at you from behind, or you don't see the indicator pointing you to the enemy etc.

Servbot24

Banned

People want the best option depending on the game. Twin sticks would have worked just fine for this game. Twin sticks aren't best for other games, and in those cases we don't want them.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I don't know, hombre, most gaffers in this thread are commenting positively on the game. Seems there -is- a learning curve but once it clicks with you it's a rewarding experience.

I had absolutely no issues at all with The Wonderful 101's controls, but outright hated Skyward Sword's motion ones at some points. And I beat Kid Icarus Uprising but would have instantly jumped at a Wii U up-port with more standard controls. So Nintendo's control quirks are a hit and miss with me. Wondering how this game might turn out...
Every game is like that. Even Devil's Third had that. The honeymoon phase is a real thing.

I've played through four missions and so far I'm really enjoying this game. There is a steep learning curve to the controls, no doubt about that, but everything I like about Star Fox is here. It looks much better than I was led to believe and it sounds incredible. It's like 1997 all over again and I'm thrilled about it!

Goodstyle

My purchase of this game wholly depended on whether or not I could play Falco in single player or multiplayer. Kinda glad it turned out to be bad so I don't feel conflicted about skipping it.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Aaand my copy is here. I keep going back and forth on whether or not I should keep it. I really like everything I've seen, but I know those controls have a very good chance of hampering my enjoyment.

sfried

My purchase of this game wholly depended on whether or not I could play Falco in single player or multiplayer. Kinda glad it turned out to be bad so I don't feel conflicted about skipping it.

Did you even read the thread?

Since Newegg ran out of stock before they could send me a pre-order copy, I just cancelled my order with them and went Nintendo eShop route. Still downloading as we speak.

J@hranimo

Banned
5 missions in. Loving it so far. Finally glad to have Starfox gameplay back!

I actually really like the control scheme for the Arwing, especially in all range mode. It allows you to be able to fly around and dodge all sorts of enemies while being able to shoot them from the gamepad screen. I'm not perfect at it yet, but oh man when it clicks....dogfighting is so cool.

Gyrowing gameplay I like, although not sure if others will like how it's played on the slower paced level. It's probably the easiest new vehicle to play as. Walker definitely has the steepest learning curve, but not impossible or frustrating by any means. I believe the next mission will have Landmaster gameplay so I'll chime in on that later as well.

I suppose the only things I'm kinda eh about is the lack of being able to play the voices on the TV screen and not being able to adjust sensitivity for gyro controls. Pressing Y to re-center helps a lot though, but for those who will have an issue with getting used to the motion controls and how sensitive they can be there it is.

Aaand my copy is here. I keep going back and forth on whether or not I should keep it. I really like everything I've seen, but I know those controls have a very good chance of hampering my enjoyment.

Play. The. Game.

We don't buy games to not play them lol.

Zomba13

Oh. Kay.

By the way, OP, I'll need a detailed rundown on how a "reimagining" is no remake.

SF64 3D was a remake, it was an improved version of the original with better graphics, cleaner sound, 3D, new controls etc. This is kind of based on SF64, same characters, a lot of the same places but a bunch of differences, different levels, different routes through the levels, different bosses etc.

It's like a remix. It's based on 64 but with enough new stuff that it can't be called a remake because there is too much different.

Downloaded it, played the tutorial. The presentation is top notch, but the controls are making it hard to just trust my instincts and go. I'll start the campaign later today.

Side observation: dual screen games are odd on Wii U, as they don't let you play offscreen using only the gamepad. Or rather, Nintendo pushing offscreen play was always at odds with touting benefits of dual screen gaming. I will remember Wii U as a beautiful, messed up diamond.

After playing Corneria I can certainly see how some people who simply don't have fun with motion controls and using two screens at once would be frustrated rather than engaged.

As for people who do like to play with those things....holy shit that was awesome and much much better than I had hoped. It kinda helps I played the Corneria stage from 64 while this was downloading and this feels like a huge evolution in all ways.

Is there no VS mode multiplayer in this game? That's been a cornerstone of Starfox for me. Also, how are the gyrocopter portions panning out? What I've seen has really turned me off, are they full missions or just sections?

bart64

Banned
I honestly think it'd be better without the mandatory "look at gamepad". I love the motion aiming, it makes fine tuning your shots so easy BUT the TV screen's crosshairs are off, they aren't accurate, your shots always go to where it's lined up on the gamepad meaning you have to look at that if you want to be accurate and that sucks.

If the TV crosshairs were calibrated correctly, then it'd be fantastic ebcause you can then get the precision of motion along with the awareness of the ship view AND you can then look at the pad for the more extreme angles like below and off to the sides. But as it is you need to use the pad for accurate shots and then while you're lining up your shots in a dogfight on the pad you aren't seeing the TV where you have guys shooting at you from behind, or you don't see the indicator pointing you to the enemy etc.

The thing is the crosshairs are calibrated correctly, from the point of view of the ship. One of the things that has always bothered me about Star Fox is that the crosshairs were an approximation of where the ship would shoot from the point of view of the camera--it was never really accurate but it was the most helpful way to deal with a limitation. Now we get true aim, which is actually more difficult to track, but is made practical with the second screen.

Neiteio

A friend is coming over tonight to continue Heavy Rain, so I probably won't start my copy of Zero until tomorrow. But when I do start it, I think I'll spend a lot of time in training and that I'll play Corneria at least several times before moving on. Even then, I don't expect to "get it" until after finishing the main campaign once. But who knows, maybe I'll figure it out sooner. I figured out RE6 after playing the demo several times, and I figured out Kid Icarus Uprising within two or three chapters.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Play. The. Game.

We don't buy games to not play them lol.
I despise motion controls though, so I didn't want it once I heard they werent optional, I just forgot to cancel my pre order. But apart from that it looks like the Star Fox 64 sequel I've wanted since I was a kid.

Boney

Banned
I found Splatoon's gyro controls amazing. I suppose if you are quick to adapt to those, this will be as well?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up my copy and the $5 Falco Amiibo from Best Buy. Have a little work to wrap up, then look forward to diving into it.

AGoodODST

Is there no VS mode multiplayer in this game? That's been a cornerstone of Starfox for me. Also, how are the gyrocopter portions panning out? What I've seen has really turned me off, are they full missions or just sections?

I found the Gyrocopter stage I played pretty fun. Maybe lasted a tad too long but it wasn't bad by anymeans. Nice break from the traditional stages.

I found Splatoon's gyro controls amazing. I suppose if you are quick to adapt to those, this will be as well?

Yeah, you won't have any issues.

I think if you find yourself fighting the controls you should stop fighting them.

I'm really enjoying how engaging it is to have to think in two positions at once it can get pretty challenging. I actually like having to be more bodily engaged with different types of software, this game certainly requires your attention, and that's a good thing for me.

Top Bottom